Omeganinjaboy

Re: STICKY: Introduce yourself!

Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:19 am

I am a noob, just set up my Pi today (it is running a Discord Bot). I am on a mission to host Quake 2 Servers on it through the console (because I have seen it done before). Currently have been doing a weekend only server on my PC, but, if I can get this to work, I will be able to host it 24/7.

Chris Pi

Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:06 pm

Hi, Everyone. I've ordered an RPi4 8GB for my son. He wants to do some retro gaming and coding while I'd like him to use this as his basic computer for school.

I've used Macs my entire life, from writing on a Beige SE in university to the present - I have no experience with Linux or CLI (not even DOS back in the day).

cheers
Chris

agzorig

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:06 am

Hello everyone!
I am from the Philippines. I just got my Pi 4 4GB a couple of weeks ago with a DAC HAT. A newbie with Pi's, and an old fart with Windows PC.
I'm using this as an audio streamer, and as a desktop system to help me learn Linux.

Cheers!
Adrian
Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB overclocked to 2 GHz
Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit)
Gigabyte 120 GB SSD
Innomaker HiFi DAC Hat

BOOTLOADER: Mon 06 Jul 2020 11:48:15 AM UTC (1594036095)
If you can read this, you have 20/20 vision.

Crambone

Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:09 pm

Hello world, I'm Callum
I'm in my 20's and I've just completed my BSc in computer networking in Scotland. I completed my degree by creating an IDS system on the Pi 4 model B

I'm awful at programming and the raspberry Pi is a good chance to learn.
I have an interest in Networking projects, Servers, Wearables, LED projects and Smart housing. Lockdown is the perfect opportunity to try all this out.

I look forward to interacting with the community! :D

dellwo

Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:04 am

Hi all,
Relatively new and get lots of help reading the forum.
Worked in semiconductor mfg (BSEE, PhD Physics).
Been going nuts with the Pi since I found it and a lot more I want to do.

Main Pi I can control with Google Assistant, Alexa, and a web interface.
1) Home alarm connected to existing wiring. Sounds alarm, e'mails and texts us.
2) Turn on hot water loop (a closed loop pump for instant hot water in bathrooms)
3) Plex music server
4) Serves a webpage to control and display status of doors, water, in/outdoor temp etc.
5) Icon on my phones/tablet displays Outdoor temp (autoupdate/15 minutes).

2nd Pi for temp/humidity

3rd Pi for camera (now for watching bird nests or cats... eventually security)

enry86cami

Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:38 pm

Hi, I'm a beginner and i'm already using raspberry with octoprint, motioneye and blynk.... Now I'd like to try to use the GPIO with Phyton... Regards

jjpe

Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:24 pm

Hi I'm jjpe, I got an rpi4B kit (containing the rpi4, an rpi-branded https://www.kiwi-electronics.nl/raspber ... u-black-eu, 5.1V / 3A DC adapter, a plastic case and a microSD card) as a present.
And while the present itself was very thoughtful, it's been an absolutely miserable and frustrating experience so far.

The first rpi was DOA, so I sent it back. Ok, not ideal, but it can happen.
The second one arrived, and fried itself within 20 minutes of me turning it on.
Keep in mind that I only connected the official rpi-branded adapter at this point.

The 3rd one arrived 2 days ago. On the plus side: It hasn't fried itself so far.
The downside: The official rpi-branded adapter simply doesn't seem to cut it when it comes to powering the rpi4B.
I say that because when I connect it, it does boot, but the power is disrupted before I even have a chance to finish the configuration wizard.

At this point I decided to try connecting the rpi4B to my workstation with the usb-c cable that came with my phone.
That sort of works, in that the rpi doesn't suddenly lose power, but even without doing things that draw a lot of power (e.g. playing YT videos) I can see the lightning icon in the top-right corner. I understand that that means the rpi is undervolted... but how that can happen when all equipment (except the rpi4B's power circuit of course) is within spec?

So I'm stumped. Can anyone provide some help?

AkulaMD

Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:54 am

Hi guys.
Newbie to Raspberry Pi 4B here.
Just got my 8GB unit nearly 2 weeks back as my ARM-Linux learning desktop to familiarize myself with Raspbian and Linux-on-ARM in general.
Planning to get another 8GB model, perhaps after the release of Raspberry Pi 4B+ or something along that line, that come with some clock-speed bump.
Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit) with desktop and recommended software
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 8GB at stock speed (never overclock)

Never overclock your Pi.
Encourage optimization instead.

FunkySi

Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:38 pm

Hi all!

Pi ZeroW newbie - I got this plus a camera module to try and get a decent webcam going. Mission accomplished!

Now that I have my first successful project done, I'm keen to explore what else I can use my new toys to do!

pistolpete25

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:31 am

Hello all, I'm a relatively new programmer @31 years old. Going back to college after a medical issue has taken my mobility. Ive done a few projects with the Pi already 2 through college for a project where I was introduced to them and a few at home in my spare time. Some of my projects I have detailed on the website I made for one of my classes that has become kindof my E-portfolio. Sure it needs polishing but I display my projects When I have made them. peterjpeterson.com My current college path is a mixture of Software Development and Electrical Engineering. Being the first one in the school to try this combination but also setting a trend. My outcome with the 2 degrees is a focus on small scale robotics. The design, prototyping and programming of. My resent Pi projects have been focused around home automation and security systems. One of the big projects I have been looking forward to seeing upgraded is the Jasper project. Ive been waiting for it to be fully upgraded to buster, python3 and raspbian on the Pi4. A big project I really would like to do for one of my school projects would be voice controlling a power wheelchair using jasper on the Pi 4 and integrating it with the wheelchair's computer. having basicly a personal assistant to push me around anytime I needed it.

bjlamarca

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:08 am

Hello, Bryan from New York. My latest project using is the Pi to control emergency vehicle lights. I made a video showing my progress: https://youtu.be/tkpb95gdTXw

illydone

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:06 am

Hi all
Illydone from France. Un*x sysadmin for about 25 years, Raspi user for 5 years. Developer in a previous life... Great to be here!

matbard

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:26 am

Hi guys,

Newbie from Italy!

I've got my RPi 8GB Desktop Kit and some other stuff!

Cheers,

- Matteo

footballpi

Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:06 pm

Bigtime newbie here! Been coding front-end for 10+ years.

empresseris

Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:18 pm

Hello y'all, greetings from an indeterminate location on the East Coast, varying by season! I'm a hopeless romantic when it comes to tech, and so now that I've found myself with vast quantities of unstructured time on my hands, I decided to finally make the leap of faith and get an RPi so I finally start working on the hardware project I've dreamed of for years - a dedicated wrist-mounted mobile device! Of course, it's turned out to be a lot more complex than I imagined, but I'm not worried, because now I've got a community to turn to for help, and all the time in the world! Let's do this!

tkasidakis

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:26 pm

Hello to everyone.

I bought a Raspberry Pi 4 for my diploma thesis.

I have installed Ubuntu 20.04.

I am not sure if it was a good choice.

I want to use linux containers .

I managed to create a linux container but i have a problem with install pip3 for example.

Do you believe that i must change to Raspberry 0S ?
Many people here use linux containers also.

It would be great to know people and share common experiences.

Thodoris

DaimonS

Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:26 am

Hi everyone i am i have a rasberry pi4b 8gb
and i intend to have fun distro used debian 10 buster

johnny12

Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:20 pm

Hi guys!

New to the forum and looking forward to learning more about what I can do with my raspberrypi. I've had mine for a couple years now and bought it preloaded with emulators and games. Now I've got a bit more time on my hands I figure it's time to find out what else I can use it for. Cheers

Model B

Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:00 pm

Evening all, i'll keep it snappy..
i'm an ultra noob looking for information on using my pi, and
guessed this was the best place to start..

BrownLuther007

Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:29 pm

Hi, I am Luther.

By profession, I am a chef. Because I used to love the smell of bread in the mornings so I pursued it. I have been doing this for over 5 years now. Multicuisine. I love trekking and bike riding, so my other savings goes into that, with pride. I am writing technology blogs since I was a grad student. I used to write a daily diary, (pretty stupid teen days), then something informational and then as a freelance writer.
So now I like to write about anything. Be it from someone suffering from anything personal to technical problems.

Jack of all trades.

Joining this platform a little late. hope to catch up. Cheers!

TrusttheMonkey

Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:05 am

Hello World

I'm Paul, the first line of code i wrote was in basic when i was around 12 yrs old. wow has things changed.{ i'm close to farting dust at this point at 51 :lol:} when i was a bit older my mom became an IT manager without being able to turn the volume down on my stereo so i basically taught her enough to do her job. around the millennium i was writing little script kiddie crap for groups and just lost the taste for all the idiocy. finding the raspberry pi projects has peeked my curiosity again. i knew tech would catch up with me. this is neat. i literally just received my pi a few hours ago and i've already broken and fixed it once already. i love this.

russarmst

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:40 am

Hi all,
I'm Russell. I've been into computing since a ZX81 and a subsequent ZX Spectrum 16k arrived in our house Iinthe early 80s. I'm a long time linux user (since Ubuntu 5.04) and a lover of Thinkpads.

I took delivery of my 3rd Pi yesterday. My original Pi1 (which I bought in the first week after launch) is still in use and connected to a Davis Vantage Vue weather station and uses Weex to capture, log and submit weather data to the UKs Metoffice. My 2nd Pi is a 3 and is my hacking about and experimenting machine. I intend on turning my new Pi4 into a Retro Pi gaming machine.

Recently I've been interested in the efforts of Canonical's Martin Wimpress in bringing desktop Ubuntu to the Pi. He has an interesting series of live coding videos on his YouTube channel (WimpysWorld). This has inspired me to start developing an open source library of shell script functions that will simplify shell scripting for the Pi. I would really welcome any and all help with development, testing (across all Pi models), bug reports, feature requests, documentation, etc. The project is on github.com/russarmst/pishlib

Enough for now.

Regards
Russell

The Sticky Man

Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:02 pm

Hi my name is Fox,I've just turned 50 and have no idea about this kinda thing,my kids brought it as they thought I would be able to use it a bit like the iPad they got me for Xmas that's still in the box,I did however open this tiny box but found no screws to place it inside the case,so I put it all back in the box,I might be on here a lot so please be patient with my dumb questions. :oops: :oops:

foobrizio

Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:25 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm Fabrizio, I'm 29 and I'm a computer engineering student at Università della Calabria, in Italy. I love programming and IoT stuff, but I'm still a newbie. I hope to find useful tips in this forum to help me improve my skills.

Super_qb

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:04 am

Hi,
I am Quinten, I got my first raspberry pi (3B) a year of 2 back, the projects I did are:
Setting up volumio
Setting up windows 10 arm on a VM in gentoo64
Got Minecraft running
And used my raspberry pi as a Bitcoin minner.

Return to “General discussion”