darkskyseeker

Re: STICKY: Introduce yourself!

Fri May 22, 2020 5:54 pm

Hi, I am Jim. I joined this forum back in Sep 2019, but never introduced myself.

I am an engineer, former Hewlett Packard employee for 20 years, former freelance web designer, and IT staff at the Santa Rosa Junior College.

I have 2 Pis, a 3B and 4B. I have a 5Mpixel camera running on the 4B and love to capture timelapses. I have a high quality camera on order and am checking the ship date hourly.

I have several Ardunios.

I have programmed in Fortran, Pascal, Linux, and PERL.

Mostly I enjoy astrophotography and hope to either run my Canon camera with gphoto2 or the new Pi high quality camera to offer my friends and the general public a view of the sky displayed on a webpage, updated every so often. Cloud timelapses thrill me as do images of deep sky objects through the telescope. I hope to configure my new high quality Pi camera to a small scope I have.

loquin

Sun May 24, 2020 3:19 am

I'm Lou.

I'm semi-retired; worked as a electronics technician, engineer, and since 1999, a systems analyst/programmer. Spent much of the last 20 years working with databases, including Oracle, SQL Server, Access, and PostgreSQL. Mostly visual studio and .Net client apps.

I've followed raspberry pi, and played with it, but with the pi 4, I wanted to get postgreSQL installed and test it out. Ran into some problems with that, and will be talking about it in another thread.

petersondillard

Sun May 24, 2020 7:31 pm

Hello!
I am 23 years old and I have 3 cats!

taster

Sun May 24, 2020 9:19 pm

I’m a barefoot pilgrim fallen from the Apple turnip wagon. I’m retired, have programmed many years ago in several languages, but have no prior experience with Linux.

I have studied the excellent “Raspberry Pi for Dummies” and have gotten my RPi model 3 B+ working with WiFi and Internet connection with Apple BT peripheral keyboard and Logitech wireless mouse. Hopefully, this RPi will become the platform for a Pi Hole implementation, and I can transfer experimentation to a brand new RPi 4, still in the box.

Having failed to create a new user account, and also to update the Raspbian software, I have come to this Beginners Board for help. Many thanks in advance for any indulgence :-)

Mrbrh

Sun May 24, 2020 9:53 pm

Hello everyone.
I have a raspberry pi 3b and have had it for a few years now. I first purchased it out of general curiosity but now enjoy using it as my almost primary computer. I’ve hooked up an older 19” monitor I had as well as a keyboard, mouse and printer that were no longer being used.

It’s actually very capable for my needs if your patient and keep your expectations reasonable. It’s fun seeing how much old tech you can repurpose to make a nice little energy efficient desktop.

Mrbh

vice

Mon May 25, 2020 9:45 pm

Hello

I'm waiting for a delivery of two Pi 3s which will be birthday gifts for my 2 brothers. I'm going to set them up with RetroPi.

I'll be ordering my own soon as well. I'm going to probably multi distro it with NOOBS so that I can switch between Raspbian, Kali and RetroPi.

I think my 2 daughters will really enjoy playing a bunch of retro games.

I currently work in the web team for a tour operator as a CRO. The main aspect of my role is to improve user's experiences. I have a lot of front end web design experience too, but I'm hoping to tackle projects as a full stack developer with JavaScript frameworks and server environments. I have a limited knowledge of Python but would like to improve this so that I can maybe one day teach my daughters.

I have a number of projects I want to finish, such as, creating a game idea with my daughter in Godot, developing an app idea and starting a new online business.

Having been going through the lockdown I've realised that it's important to me to be involved in more communities and meet new people.

crazymullet1

Tue May 26, 2020 11:52 am

Hi all,

Ian here, i like messing with stuff

yikemano

Wed May 27, 2020 2:18 am

crazymullet1 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:52 am
Hi all,

Ian here, i like messing with stuff
Hello and welcome ;)

tupoxoqo

Wed May 27, 2020 10:30 am

Hey R-Pi users and fans!
got my first raspberry, wanted to say hello to all fellow enthusiasts.
:ugeek:

Wed May 27, 2020 6:35 pm

Hey guys, It's me, nice to meet you!!!

FedeAndre

Wed May 27, 2020 8:03 pm

Hi all!

I'm Federico and I'm very very new to raspberry, but i have a big idea in mind.

I'm from Italy and i am currently working as a web developer.

I've studied Information technology and I'm here to learn about this little big machine :D
Hope that i can find great support here

gizmogr

Fri May 29, 2020 2:12 pm

Hello everybody,

I'm Giacomo and i'm Italian (i live in the southern Tuscan coast).
i bought my first raspberry (rpi2) in 2015, because i love the IT and after using it as mediaplayer, nas and other things i'm using it with pi-hole, and last year i bought a rpi4 for general purposes.

Have a good day!

pidd

Sat May 30, 2020 12:14 am

Hi all. Always been fascinated by programming on a faster, smaller, better basis as my roots are in assembly language with very small amounts of memory starting around 1975. I don't do much programming these days due to my memory problems but I happily have a go at all sorts in PHP when the mood takes me. Old dog, new tricks definitely applies to me, I've not ventured into VPNs or anything new in many years.

A long time ago I was a certified Unix SVR4/SunOS System Administrator so while I have a lot of familiarity, time and Linux advancement are working against me feeling 100% at home with Raspbian/Debian/whatever its called today ;)

I have a Pi4 server, a Pi4 desktop both on SD/USB boot and a Pi ZeroW controller, the SSL server was remarkably easy, getting the desktop stable has proven harder - partly due to using old irrelevant information on google. I bought the Pi ZeroW first with an idea to control Xmas lights but ran out of time and not really tried much with it yet.

While I'm not a tree-hugger, I think its great that I'm reducing my electricity consumption so much by using RPIs, I love saving money.

PIDD

DerBierBaron

Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:04 am

Hi forum members,

my name is Klaus, I'm from Germany and am currently in training to become a mechanical technician. I really enjoy tinkering with all kinds of mechanics as well as electronics. I own two 3D printers of which the latest one was a DIY build (Hypercube Evolution) and a small DIY CNC Router.

After getting into Arduino programming (i.e. C++) and also a tiny bit of Python I finally want to tackle projects with heavier software related contents and the Pi should give me good opportunities for that :D

I'm looking forward to all the help you folks can give to this Raspi beginner :D

Cheers,
Klaus

raherette

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:44 pm

Hi, I'm Rachel. I first learned about linux in 2011 when a friend tried to push Ubuntu on me. I didn't actually try to use it until 2014. I ended up distro hoping until I landed on #!. I played around on a second computer attempting to install arch linux (fails). I can't say I actually stopped using linux as I'm an android user.
Anyway, I also learned about Raspberry Pi in 2014 as well. It seemed so neat. I finally get one in 2020.
I consider myself a noob as I've forgotten most of what I've learned during my break.

carpenoxytocin

Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:18 am

Hello,
I am carpenox and I like to code.
Iam a computer scientist and work as a programmer if I am not just gaming or hiking with my girlfriend.

P17

Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:37 pm

Hello!

My real name is Mark and I've been using Unix since the mid nineties and Linux for around 20 years.

I got an original Pi when they first came out, but didn't really do anything with it (hangs head in shame).

I've made up for it since though:

Raspberry Pi Zero W, attached to Pi camera for doing time lapses.

Raspberry 3B+, lives in the roof attached to an aerial and an SDR receiver, spends its time scanning for ADS-B signals from aircraft. I can 'see' around 250 miles to the south, but only 100 miles to the north because of hills.

Raspberry Pi 4B (4GB), running OpenVPN server and a Pimoroni unicorn hat, amongst other things.

Plus there's that original Pi and another Zero W which I accidentally killed in a soldering accident :-(

ozzbygeorge

Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:46 pm

Hi-Posting for my 11 y O son, who is keen on codig, but not good at techncial stuff yet!

arif-ali

Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:02 pm

Hey all,

My name is Arif based in Sheffield, UK. I have been using Linux since Uni from about 1999. I have HPC experience, and currently supporting multiple private clouds for a customer in the UK. I generally hang out on IRC arif-ali@freenode

• Bought the rpi0, and the was gifted the rpi2, didn't do much on them, as I didn't have much time
  • I currently own 3 x rpi4 4GB, and 1 x rpi4 8GB, 2 sit as testing Ubuntu with various linux containers
  • I also had a stab at publishing the rpi userland libraries as a snap in 64-bit, and currently works/tested with Ubuntu 20.04
  • My current 8GB rpi4 runs Raspberry OS with GitLab in a LXD container, and is using the beta FW to boot of HDD. (Did try to get Ubuntu 20.04 working, but failed miserably)
  • My production rpi4 using Ubuntu 20.04 64bit, and runs various services for home, like dhcp, dns, ldap, irc bouncer. I had a stab at compiling the darkplaces server from the xonotic sources, which took a bit of time, but is again running in a LXD container
would be nice get to know various people here, and what other people are doing with their rpi's

cheers,
Arif
You can also find me on IRC: arif-ali@freenode

Current rpi's:
3 x rpi4 4GB with Ubuntu 20.04 64bit
1 x rpi4 8GB with Raspberry Pi OS (beta FW for booting from SSD)

Linpack result:
14.401 GFlops, https://gitlab.arif-ali.co.uk:8543/snippets/26

tdelozie

Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:22 pm

:D Hello! My name is Todd! I have been using my RPi units for multiple projects. My RP4 (4gb) is being used as a desktop while I have a zero and a 3b+; both, I plan to use as a data storage server and a security camera, respectively.

I have been working in the data science field for several years now, and I have found that my career has allowed me to make several personal tools for my investment portfolio, using the python coding language and my own SQL server. It has been interesting comparing the markets from 2018, going forward. The Raspberry Pi got me started on Linux. I don't even use Windows at home anymore. Even my gaming PC uses Zorin OS, and it has been amazing.

In my free time, I have also developed finance_calculator.py (https://github.com/puddlejumper90/Finance_Calculator). I wanted to make an application where I could compare various financial scenarios for myself and how much I would have left-over to grow my investment portfolio and savings account. Feel free to clone and do what you like with the code, it's there for everyone.

This open-source community has been amazing. There have been a few elitists out there, but I do my best to be helpful to those in need. The Raspberry Pi foundation is incredible and I look forward to seeing what they do in the future.

Thank you for reading, and God bless!

audx

Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:40 am

Hi guys!

I'm just another raspberry pi addict.

I own a:
- broken RP 2 (don't ask)
- RP 3 A+
- RP 3 B+
- RP 4 8GB

I'm gonna start messing with compute modules too, soon.

pi_diddy

Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:06 pm

Hello,
I'm new to Raspberry Pi. Have been slowly learning and tinkering with Arduino and hobby electronics for about 6 years now and just bought two Pi 4B's recently. Raspberry Pi just seemed like a decent progressive next step in learning more about, electronics, IoT, and coding. Looking forward to sharing and learning.
---
pi_diddy

patrius

Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:52 am

Hi,
I have 2 Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
I use one for 24/7 reporting with ADS-B stick of flight movements on Flightaware, Fllightradar24,Planefinder and AirNav RadarBox.
the other one for playing around

RTP

Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:22 pm

Hello everyone! :D

I am excited about pi and the affordability it brings to projects. Linux user for 20yr (so was excited to find so many options!), love bash for trying to find creative ways to solve problems/create something different. Python/perl as well depending on situation.

I am interested in Civil Liberties, security and how pi can play a role.

I now have 4 pi 4's, and one pi 3b+.

It is good to be here! :ugeek:

mmoseeker

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:30 am

i am jacky,i love play mmorpg games like world of warcraft and eso swtor path of exile , i am a php programmer.
Last edited by mmoseeker on Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General discussion”