Maze_fr

Re: STICKY: Introduce yourself!

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:31 pm

Hello RPi people,

I'm Sébastien aka "Maze", from France (and yes, I can speak English...).
I'm a freelance Java developer / software architect.

I'm a Xubuntu user for years (I think I can use "decade" now...) and I proudly converted my wife, my sister and my mother to it.
Well... the very long annoying frustrating Windows Update processing time helped a lot, when they noticed I don't have to wait and reboot for ages Linux updates...

I'm also a mono video gamer : I like playing video games from time to time, but actually, I only play Stellaris in MP with my friends.

I've been interested in getting a RPi for years, thinking about a Java web application server, but 1Gb always have been a bit narrow...
So when I (recently) discovered the RPi 4B with 4Gb, how to resist ? This is my 2019 Xmas present.
One day, I will make a CICD server out of it, with Gitlab / Kubernetes / Docker, for my own business projects... but for now, I will play with it, to get used to it, and I have some ideas...
"Don't believe in forum signature quotations, they may be fakes" - Victor Hugo

Theo0101

Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:19 am

Howdy crew!

I'm pretty new to raspberry pi. Just ordered my first one. A Pi-4 Complete Starter Kit from CanaKit. Any tips for how I can build up a collection of electronic parts like resistors, jumper cables, bread boards, etc. is much appreciated. I want to try some stuff. It looks like CanaKit has those too so maybe I'll start there.

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone.

JumpmasterRT

Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:25 pm

Hello everyone. My name is Eric. I'm a tinkerer and maker at heart. I got involved in programming back in 1985 with BASIC, Fortran and Comal and didn't pick anything back up until 1998. Since then it's been a hobbyist mix of LAMP, Java and C+/+.

When the Pi came out I knew I had to have one.

Much of my programming has been on the webdev side so, PHP, HTML, CSS etc. Recently since getting the Pi I've started learning Python and more Linux (I say more because I had learned the basics or "just enough to be dangerous" when learning to set up my home servers).

My non computer background is as a Respiratory Therapist (retired) turned professional Handyman. I've been a tinkerer/maker since I was a kid and the only thing that's ever changed has been what tools/materials I have to work with.

I love learning about things I don't know and finding useful and meaningful applications for what I've learned.

TerryC

Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:26 pm

Just an update to my previous post (about 4 back) . . .

A friend found out I was planning to buy one soon and beat me to the punch, early Christmas present!

So I now have my Raspberry Pi. It's a 4B 4GB from CanaKit. Came with heat sinks, an enclosure with a cooling fan, power adapter, power switch (I really like that!), HDMI cable, a card reader, and NOOBS on a 32GB micro SD.

Unfortunately the wired USB keyboard that I'd planned to use turned out to be junk (it was old). A trip to WallyWorld yielded a Logitech wireless keyboard/touchpad combo for ~$20. Back in business.

Assembled everything and set it up with the card from the kit, but I had really wanted to do that myself, so as soon as I had it all updated and working, I pulled that one out and put it aside for safe keeping. I then took the new Sandisk 32GB card that I'd already had set aside for the Pi and went to work. I downloaded "Raspbian Buster with desktop and recommended software" and "Etcher" and created my own card, which I then installed in the Pi. Having already successfully installed NOOBS (despite having to quit and go get a new keyboard) setting up Raspian Buster went smooth, and soon I was online, posting on forums and watching videos.

So soon I'll be bugging you all in the other threads with lot of dumb questions. :lol:

Tc
Last edited by TerryC on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plastickitbuilder

Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:04 am

Hi, my name is Mark and I am from Prince George, British Columbia, Canada. I have been using and testing many different linux distros for the past 12 years or so. Started with computers in the very early 80's with my first being a TRS -80 colour computer. Since then I have been involved with computers as a hobby and also repairing and upgrading. I have had my Pi 4 4gig ram for about 3 months now and it is very exciting to be diving in yet again into something new.

Artemus24

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:50 am

Hello everyone.

My nickname is Artemus Gordon and I am French.
I am a retired computer scientist.

I own several raspberry:
-> RPI 0 v1.3,
-> RPI 0W,
-> RPI 0WH + HAT TV Tunnel,
-> RPi 2B + Joy-it Serial I2C 20 × 4 2004 LCD Module,
-> RPi 2B + Module Unicorn HAT HD PIM273,
-> RPi 3A +,
-> RPi 3B +.
But not yet RPi 4B.
I bought my first Raspberry Pi 2B in March 2016.
Why Raspberry? to tell you the truth, it's to get back to Unix / Linux.

If I registered in this forum, it is to solve a problem.
I hope to find a solution because this problem is blocking!

Thank you !
Cordially.
Artemus24.
@ +

In A Right Pickle

Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:43 pm

Hello, Very New To This Part Of The Interweb... Any Hoo Hello! :lol: :roll:
Mom used to say stop playing with your food and i would reply but mum.... I love my Raspberry Pi4 4GB. ;)

Zesic

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi all I'm Lydia from Livermore, CA.
Need advice from a techie on Raspberry Pi.
I've seen other half eyeing these up and want to get him one for his birthday. Not a clue where to start. Anyone have advice on where to get one for the best price and what specifications I should get? I'd like to get him the latest/best (if that exists!) Thanks in advance!

wogster

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:59 am

Hey my name is Paul, I've been playing and working with computers since the Commodore PET was considered cutting edge. I have worked with computers that were as small as a keyboard, up to machines where the cooler for the CPU was as big as a bus.... I don't currently have a Pi, but have been thinking about some uses for one or two.... I consider Toronto, Ontario, Canada as home.

david112

Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:36 am

Database administrator, informal leader of small group Raspberry pi enthusiasts. ;)
With regards, David

waranpi

Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:58 pm

A bit of beginner to intermediate level.. just installed my own NAS server. Here to help anybody in need of help :)

Puffergas

Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:24 am

Hi, I am Jeff. Just a big fan of Raspberry Pi. It brought me back to Linux. I feel that the new Raspberry Pi 4 was made just for me! The foundation did it right. If it can not be done on a Pi 4 it is not worth doing. :D

Tyrells16

Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:46 am

Hello! Recently i found out that the raspberry pi existed! I really wanted one, so now I'm waiting for it to come in the mail.

I'm only beginning my journey, I'm interested in learning how to code so that one day i might end up as a game designer.
But that's only a dream, I'm starting out small and then progressing to slightly harder things.

Raspberry pi is gonna be fun! :D
Am i supposed to say that i have autism?
(I have autism)

IGotStuffOnPiPlate
Location: Australia, wait WHAT?! Why do you need to know my location? Do you work for either AYSIO or the FBI

Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:38 am

Hey there folks! I heard about the RPi when I watched a YouTube video in my recommended! Look, I grew up with Windows and I'm still getting used to Raspbian.

I got a lot of stuff on my plate.
I got alot of stuff on my plate.
*insert shrugging emoji*

KathyW

Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:21 am

Hi everyone,
I'm a complete Noob (defo New out of the box). I used to dabble many many years ago with the launch of 8086/286 DOS based PCs, I thought now i'm 50 to try my hand at this exciting product that I've read so much about.

I'm not expecting miracles so I'll probably pester the more knowledgeable on here.

Being as olde as I am I'm going to use my RPI 4 as a gaming platform so I can play with systems that at the time were out of my reach to own lol.

Cheers
Kath

Rick65

Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:50 pm

Hello all, I'm Rick. I'm from northern New Hampshire in the US. I've been playing with Raspberry Pi's for a while now, mostly home theater, NAS, Retropi type stuff. I'm currently using a 3B+. I've wanted to learn Python, so for Christmas this year my wife got me one of those nifty "Ultimate Raspberry Pi Kits". It reminds me of the old Radio Shack 150-in-one Electronic kits! (coincidentally, I got one of those some 40+ years ago on Christmas!) :D I'm an absolute beginner in both electronics and Python but I started messing with the tutorials that came with the kit and lit up my first LED before Christmas dinner! I'm hooked! Can't wait to learn more. I'll thank you all in advance for the help and inspiration I'm sure this forum will provide. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :geek:

rimcrazy

Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:19 pm

Hello and Happy New Year to all. I'm Phil. I live in Az where I'm mostly Papa to my family. Was an electrical engineer designing IC's for Motorola's government electronics division for about 10 years and then migrated to various semiconductor companies in the Phoenix area for about another 20 years. I'm now a freelance 2D/3D animator among other things. Getting back to my engineering roots working of various Pi, Arduino and other electronic projects. I love animation, art, electronics, anything geek, cycling and of course my family the most. Looking to learn and help where I can. Pi's a great computer and just love all the things that can be done. At the moment setting up an Octoprint Pi for my new Prusa 3D printer.
"Television, a medium because it is neither rare nor well done" Ernie Kovacs

TinkerPhil

Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:10 pm

Hi
I'm a programmer with some electronics experience - I'm interested in using a Raspberry Pi to replace the controller in a bread maker - gotta have a hobby!
In the short term I will be looking for advice as to what kit I get for that project
Happy New Year!
Phil

ricbritain

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:17 am

Hi I'm Richard from North East England. I got a Pi a couple of months ago. Did some retopi first. I have limited success. I then moved onto trying very simple projects using a FREENOVE kit I bought. I quickly got stuck as the components in the book I'm using don't match those in my FREENOVE kit. I found this forum to hopefully get help.

Ritchie333

Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:16 pm

Hi, I'm Ritchie. Elsewhere on the internet, you may know me as a contributor to the SABRE Maps project, as a regular Wikipedia editor or as one of the contributors to the NAGI emulator or someone interesting in disassembling old ZX Spectrum games.

I've been tinkering with Linux since 1.0.23 (I think) and have caught the Raspberry Pi bug, having bought a 3B+ for my son a few Christmases ago, and now upgraded to a 4 this one just gone - where amongst other things I sat down and explained the rudiments of memory allocation and pointers in C. :twisted: My next project will probably be setting up a TV server upstairs using a TV Hat so myself and Mrs 333 can watch television in bed.

kiddk1

Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:07 pm

Hello, I am new here and interested in raspberry pi, mostly for gaming, I am still learning (dont know much yet)

SOSD.Azrael

Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:47 pm

Good Afternoon,

I am Johnny Valli, or Azrael(online). I am brand new to the forum and to raspberry pi. I just ordered the Raspberry Pi 4. I look forward to this new hobby. I have some general coding experience and have built several computers. I am an avid gamer, retro gaming collector and MMORPG(currently WoW Retail) fan. I want to see where this new machine takes me and dive into the world of Linux. I am looking for any recommendations for a newbie to get started.

-Jean-Paul Valley (Ossaville, New Jersey)

donimedia

Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:37 am

Hello and
thank you for welcoming me to this site ! 8-)

I introduce myself ; My name is David Donisa , I live in France , in the Deux-Sèvres department .

My job is to manage a blog dedicated to ICT and Technology Watch ; Academypedia.info .

Interested in new technologies , I signed up on this site to learn more about Rasperry Pi before buying it and , eventually , to publish articles on this subject on my blog .

Best Wishes 2020
!
Academypedia.info - David Donisa

_robertacaruso_

Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:23 am

I am Roberta from italy

Mike02

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:36 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Enrico from Sassari, Italy.

Return to “General discussion”