rbohm

Re: STICKY: Introduce yourself!

Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:24 pm

hi everyone, i am richard and due to medical issues(end stage kidney disease) i no longer work, though i did spend 25 years in the hospitality industry. i was taught both fortran 77 and basic when i was in college in the late 70s while getting my degree in automotive technology.

i recently became enamored with the raspberry pi, and as a result the linux language, and look forward to playing with both in the future. i got my first pi for christmas and set it up to play videos on my TV, i still have to figure out how to get it to recognize my second external hard drive though, but i will eventually get that to happen.
fordsix.com admin

my mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention

ripface

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:52 am

Hi,

I'm John, an old fart from a previous generation of computer wannabes. Worked for over 30 years on VAX VMS, AIX, SunOS, Redhat and CentOS. Having a blast playing with Pi's, and currently working on extending my home automation with RF Sockets and fauxmo to integrate them with my growing Alexa family.

Cheers,
John. (aka Ripface)

PiMoankee1122

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:39 am

Hi! CryptoMoankee here! its nice to meat everyone on the raspberry pi forum! I'm fairly new to Raspberry Pi's, i did buy the 2nd version when it first came out and ran OpenELEC on it for some time and that's pretty much all the experience i have with them. I am just starting to use Linux operating systems and its got my interest peaked on the Pi's again. I just bought the newest Pi 3B+ and a regular Pi Zero and have a few ideas of a few different project that in want to try out. I hope i can learn a lot on here, i defiantly feel like its a good place to start! :D

N37

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:29 am

I'm Miroslaw, i'm from Poland, developer , manager, Ubuntu dev team member. Thinker and maker.

Hello to everyone.

GeorgeT93

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:16 am

Hi everyone, I'm George, and I'm completely new to Pi. I've been reading these forums for a while now, trying to learn everything I thought I would need to know to get my Pi up and running, and I have to say how impressed I am with this little beauty! My Pi kit arrived late yesterday (3 B+) and got it up and running today. Made a few mistakes during setup that ultimately had me reimage the sd card a couple of times, but hey, that's part of the fun. Anyhow, great community you folks have here, and tons of great info, and a simply amazing little piece of hardware!

leilaguan

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:25 am

hello
everybody!
I am leila ,from China , coffee is very famous around the world and I like coffee so much .and because I am a beginner ,then just choose the coffee machine :french press .
you know it is easy to handle ,which you clean the bottle ,and put your hot water in it ,then add your coffee,
stay 3 minutes , put down your plunger ,pour out your beautiful and tasty coffee,perfect !

good day

Ydaduree

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:58 pm

Hi all, I'm Gasper from New York.

norepto

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:19 am

Hi everybody, i'm Ramon, i'm the IT Director of a Timekepper company.

whitby_p

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:54 am

Hello Everyone, I'm a Raspberry Pi novice - looking to get into Physical Computing. I apologise in advance for all the "basic" questions I'll be asking !!

Rusty377

Hello , I am Rusty from the USA I live in South Carolina

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:08 pm

This is my first excursioninto AI vith the google visioin kit. It would be very nice if someone could help me out with this project. The first item is how do you remove the bash: prompt ferom the comand line interface?

rakhimishra2391

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:23 am

Hii Everyone,
Hope Everyone Doing Good.
Basically I have just completed my engineering in computer science and i would love to do programming and mainly interested in java.
Also very much eager to learn new technique and new concept.

Emmet

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:01 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm Emmet, I'm looking forward to being an active member of the community :)
Thank you

munocat

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:37 am

My name is Warren

from UK, live in the USA.

I was an embedded software engineer 90-s to early 2000's, suffered a TBI (brain injury) trying to relearn skills. I am not like my former self and have lots of questions. please be patient.

Bill_J

Bill_J

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi RPi forum users,

I've built a lazy susan chicken egg rotator for my incubator. The incubator has worked for years but required more work than after this upgrade. I plan to use the DHT_22 once it arrives from China. I have a number of RPIs of various levels in use, a 2011 v1.1 as a print server, an RPI 2 in use running Bitcoin-QT with an external drive, an RPi 3 B+ I have with a hdmi display board using an old laptop screen, and this RPi 2011 ver 1.2 to go into the incubator. Aside from the temperature and humidity from the DHT_22 which will be hopefully going to gnuplot so I can check temp and humidity from my desk, this RPI also has a 16x2 display working with the Adafruit_Python_CharLCD. Would that be referred to as a library or module? The RPi will be showing the temp and humidity locally sent to my desk but also will be monitoring the rotator action. The rotator had six egg slots and each 1/6th segment takes ~99 minutes to pass. I have 12 magnets in place and two hall effect transistors giving me 24 signals per full rotation. Very slow. I have the hall effect modules to a homebrew signal conditioning circuit keeping the output in a safe range and inverting the signal. I had planned to use counters and a magnitude comparitor to trigger an alarm if two signals are missed. Eggs don't roll predictably and there's the slight possibly the wheel will lift away from the hall effect module(s). Instead I hope to have the local RPi look for a missing pair of pluses and send an alarm to the speaker output.

I have no previous experience with Python, nor any C, and a very little in shell scripts. So, I'll be asking for help. Thanks.

Bill_J

Jupiter Plasma

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:02 pm

Not much to say on myself. I am a rc airplane guy but trying to get more advanced with electronics. I have a few ideas and hope I can find the info I need here. From Texas. Thanks for everyone's information and enthusiasm!!!

IFightDragonz

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:45 am

Hi everyone, I'm Alex,
I'm getting started with Raspberry Pi, and right I'm learning about the Google Cloud Platform.
Looking forward to being a community.
https://youtu.be/OrZ-V-JXRyY

brandelune

Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:01 am

Hi ! I'm Jean-Christophe. I bought a model 1 to get the children used to see behind the magic of the touch-screen machines but they were not interested because the RP did not have the "real" Minecraft :)

I'm a translator based in Japan, married with 3 children.

I decided to take the dust off the machine and make it run Picolisp, a lisp I can't run on my Mac, but working with ssh being not all the time convenient I decided to connect a screen that my elder son gave us.

castle123

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:57 pm

I'M David. I do voluntary work for both elderly clients, at a Day Centre, and I also do project at my local Museum.

In the first instance I want to develop a security/surveillance system for my house. I would eventually like to thnk of ways I could use a raspberry to bring some fun to the elderly folk...... thoughts welcomes on that.

Interests include

photography
A natty new flash gun my Dad bought me last britheday
My elderly parents
Motoring
History
feeding birds (another area that might be developed....)
bargain hunting on the net.....

David
David.

Interests; History, photography, elderly folk, cool new flash gun, old buildings, old Transit Connect, raspberrys.

castle123

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:49 pm

whitby_p wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:54 am
Hello Everyone, I'm a Raspberry Pi novice - looking to get into Physical Computing. I apologise in advance for all the "basic" questions I'll be asking !!

I think were all in the same boat there.
David.

Interests; History, photography, elderly folk, cool new flash gun, old buildings, old Transit Connect, raspberrys.

parker55

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:35 pm

I am new here from Manchester

What other to tell enough said :p

abphitec

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:46 pm

Hi everyone my name is allan.
I am by trade an electrical engineer in the industrial manufacturing world working with PLC's, Motor drives and the like.
I have started a new career as a electrical engineer building controls for underwater robotic cutters.
I am looking at incorporating a Pi to use for data logging o things like temp, pressure and flows.
Anyway I'm new to the sight and shortly I'm sure I will have many questions about the pi.

So thanks to all in the future for any assistance that you may give me.
Allan

Stillhouse

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:42 pm

Howdy!

Got my first Pi put together last week. Started off with RetroPie, then burned Raspian full on another card. Today I set up PiCorePlayer and played around with it a while. May look into making a Pi based oscilloscope to aid me in my vintage electronics restoration hobby.

See y'all around!

Pjhants

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:05 am

I am Peter. I live in the UK. I studied computer science at Uni many years ago (glad I learned how to calculate switching currents for magnetic core storage, that's been really handy). I cut my teeth on PDP-11s then Vax, the former used for data acquisition in high energy physics). I then moved into databases before moving away from development altogether. I am back developing though, and an now working with SAS and Oracle (and wishing I had never given up on development). For home projects I dabble with Delphi, Python and R. I have a small collection of Pi's, a PCdurino and a few Adurinos. Three Pi's are dedicated to streaming music using Mamboberry and HifiBerry DACs, one is coupled to a GPS Hat and looking for an application (NTP server for my UKMON meteor camera). Other interests include astronomy and astroimaging (when time and weather allow, which is rarely these days). I am also co-founder of the UK Meteor Observation Network.

Haseo98

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:37 pm

hello there, Haseo here, I am an amateur writter and youtuber who decided to get into raspberry on a whim... was wondering if I could use it as a pc to draw my art as I do animations on YouTube... and play old school games XD I hope we can be friends

John1970

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:10 pm

Hi Folks

I am John from the UK and awaiting the arrival of my new Raspberry Pi on Thursdays. Interested in emulators for Atari STE and ZX spectrum.

Return to “General discussion”