rmcellig

Re: STICKY: Introduce yourself!

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:28 am

My name is Randy. I have been a linux user for a few years now and love it. I host a weekly jazz radio show and am always looking for cool things to explore, like the Raspberry Pi. Still not sure what I would use it for other than a minimalist PC. The possibilities seem endless after watching some videos on youtube. The forum looks friendly and knowledgeable as well which is a BIG plus for me.

_matteo

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Hi,

I'm Matteo from Italy.

Total noob about what concern Raspberry and Linux but really curious to learn and try with the PI.

Hope to bother you soon :?

yonghuming

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:03 am

Hi, my name is Lang Xianmeng, and i am a kids coding teacher of NetEase.
I have been a ICT teacher in high school for 6 years. I like raspbery, arduino, microbit, python and so on. i have contribute Chinsee localizaton fo mu editor

Shadow_Saunter

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:44 pm

Hi I'm Paul,

I use Raspberries at home and at work. At home I'm into all kinds of IOT applications, and at work, Industrial IOT applications for the Pi. I often refer to these forums for answers that were already asked, but I registered today for a Kodi question that I couldn't find.

Paul

alvesricard

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:30 pm

Hi,

I´m Ricardo Alves from Portugal and i'm university student.

Best Regards

Riardo Alves

code_dredd

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi,

I'm ray from the USA. I'm a computer science major currently employed as a software engineer. I'm looking into the feasibility of a few things involving these boards and I'm hoping that the thread I tried to post several days ago on that topic gets approved by a mod soon, because it's been several days since I did that :)

Best regards.

tmpadmin

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:40 pm

Hello, my name is Todd.

I've been in computers since 1980 something. I was still a kid but programming a Commodore 64 was my first introduction to computers. I did not want to live my life in front of a computer so I have a degree in Geology, Photography, one class shy of a Philosophy degree and world religions. Today I am an IT Manager which means I handle the budgets, vendors, Servers, Network, Internet, VPN, Routers, Switches, PCs, Laptops, Coffee, and now a fleet of Raspberry Pis, and I spent my life in front of a computer, many. I have about 10 Pis in production testing now and plan to add another 20 by the end of the year. Nothing fancy just a touchscreen kiosk to access internal web apps. I've never been much of a programmer other than the basic I used for the Commodore. At this point I kind of hate computers but I am very good with them and they pay the bills. :)

I live in NY, USA
Have a great day.
Todd

mark3112

Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:46 pm

Hello. Registered for some help with a SPI1 problem, can’t use SPI0 as that’s busy looking after 4 MCP2515 CAN Controllers.
Want to use SPI1 to transfer CAN A/D and timing data from a STM32F4 board and display it on the Pi’s display.
1st computers - Commodore PET and Cromemco S100 system in college in the 70’s.
Current favourites STM32F4 and FPGA’s.
Software – OrCAD, Altium, Keil, Quartus, Powershell.
You can make a real CPU in a FPGA, but you can’t make a real FPGA in a CPU.

richlion2

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:43 pm

Hello,
I am Ryszard (or Richard as some people call me due to the difficulty with the pronunciation, some people say my name is encrypted :-D ). I am a Polish expat working and living in the UK. I’ve been into computers since 1985 worked in a lab testing computer equipment – yes, maybe some will comment that it was often US stolen electronics, copies of DPD’s, etc. But at least there was the Assembly language and Basic. I’ve even seen one machine with just a keyboard and a typewriter as the input/output methods and a ferrite memory.

I’ve been through all stages in IT, started as an operator with Cobol applications. I’ve seen the rise of the PC and first Olivetti computers. I’ve started with the first UNIX machines in Eastern Europe – the first one was a UNISYS server, we programmed using COBOL and C. Then came the rise of the Oracle database. Basically a very very long story. At home I only play with Linux-es - First it was Mandriva, then Gentoo and Sabayon, then UBUNTU, I abandoned them all for Linux Mint and the Cinnamon desktop - the most stable and the simplest of all.

I specialize in database and systems administration on Windows and AIX/Linux servers, Oracle and SQL-Sever. Ask me about the VI editor and I will have an answer ;)

Privately I am single and do a lot of travelling. I love exploring, especially England, Wales which I think are the most beautiful places to see. Mountains are my first passion, although my old joints don’t allow me to go up too high anymore.

I joined this group with the hope to ask and also hopefully provide you with some help, although I am not really an expert in tweaking the Linux kernel. But, I don’t use any Windows systems at home, apart from providing my family with some of that Win junk because there are no alternatives.

Nice community and I must say I am impressed with the new RPI 3 B+. Fantastic peace of kit that one can tinker with. I don’t have any project in mind yet, but it’s early days.

Cheers
Richard

black.ghost

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:51 pm

Hi all. My name is Simon and I am new to the world of Pi. I have just posted a project that I am going to start fairly soon (making a Samsung Dex basically).

I actually got my Pi back at Xmas, but it has sat dormant until now (I got RetroPie installed and booting but took it no further). Now, I'll be checking out the projects and looking for information for my own project. This resource will be far more useful to me than I am to it!

That's it really. See you around.

varaahan

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:55 pm

I am Boovarahan, 56 , from Chennai, India and new to rasp.
I successfully installed noobs lite and raspbian lite and stuck up there since I need the user name and password.
Anybody to lend a helping hand?
Thanks.

mark3112

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:34 pm

>Boovarahan
User pi
Password raspberry
You can make a real CPU in a FPGA, but you can’t make a real FPGA in a CPU.

GAP

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:23 am

Hi my name is Graeme and I am a complete novice to computing except for using some windows applications.
I have just bought my first pi, a 3+ and look forward to using it and others for projects on my garden railway.

flo54500

Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 am

Hey Everyone !

My name is Florian i am 25 and i live in France !

I am a novice in raspberrys that's the reason why i am here today :P I am looking for explanations ! the wireless interface is a bit capricious !!

See you !

TinRobot

Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:45 am

Greetings all;

My name is Michael, I am a 56 yr old graphic artist from Canada.
I have only recently started to explore linux operating systems and purchased a Raspberry Pi 3B as an emergency backup pc after my windoze box went kaboom. (PCI bus controller failure on Mobo).
I am amazed and very pleased with what can be done with such a small device. And now I have begun to take an interest in the command line and what can be done with a tiny board like the Pi Zero W in a remote device. Fascinating stuff, thanks to all the developers and the support community. Such a wealth to discover, this is going to be fun!

dinopp

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:44 pm

Hi all
I'm Dino and I live in Rome.
I've been dealing with computers since technical school (back in 1980...) and working now as software architect. In the free time I like playing bass and theater, but among my hobbies I have also interest in domotics and automation. After working with other boards, now I'm looking at Raspberry Pi that I've just ordered.
I joined the community to get help for a quick start and hoping to be able to give soon my contribution.

Cheers

p1_p1_p1

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:36 pm

hello im p1 (phi-one = beer in translation) and i bought R pi for use in VR, robotics and some old computer emulation, but after few weeks i found only problems, software or hardware limitations, some of problems looks like undocumented (probably bytecode) so after short time im strongly skeptic, looks like Rpi is good as toaster processor :roll:

asandford

Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:24 pm

p1_p1_p1 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:36 pm
hello im p1 (phi-one = beer in translation) and i bought R pi for use in VR, robotics and some old computer emulation, but after few weeks i found only problems, software or hardware limitations, some of problems looks like undocumented (probably bytecode) so after short time im strongly skeptic, looks like Rpi is good as toaster processor :roll:
It's totally suited for its target market; which isn't VR (I'm not sure that any $35 SBC can do stereoscopic VR - most hardware that can costs around 15+x that much) or emulation (and it does this quite well apparently). It's very good for robotics (couple it with an Arduino and it's even better).

It helps to research and learn things (the aim of the RPF), the problems you appear to have are either solved by reading up on the subject, or are totally out of scope of the platform and your expectations are too high.

Sarah2001

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi, I'm Sarah and currently doing my first raspberry pi project as part of my EPQ which is a drawing robot!

bloggingindian

Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi I am a part time blogger I blog at www. bloggingindian. com

I write about SEO, Wordpress,Blogging and Make money online.

I am glad to be part of this community

gorunks2001

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:11 am

Hi I'm Alessandro from Italy and I'm IT technician

ghostrider513

Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:30 pm

I'm Mike and I just bought a RPi 3B+. Here's the fun part, I have no idea how to do anything with it. I want to do some research for electro shock discharge. I want to monitor Relative Humidity /static electricity in the air, pressure, temp, add two cameras (to video record any activity in 3D) and have the data sent to my phone, tablet or PC. I hope folks here can really help me make this instrument.
Nice to meet everyone. :D

sendnoodlez

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:47 am

Hello!

My name is Ricky, and I am currently in Seattle. I work in data for [insert big tech company], but I am attempting to cross over to the developer side. While creating some simple bots, I found this company which is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Imagine what companies like these can do when we get closer to AI... :geek:

amin143

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:54 pm

Hi,

my self is Amin Ansari from india, i'm inspired to automation industries and my interested in building automation and industrial automation, i'm here for learn more and more as possible to me, electronic is my passion and life too.............

captanjack

Sat May 05, 2018 12:36 pm

HI I am Captain Jack Sparrow is a fictional character in the Pirates of the Caribbean film series. The character was created by screenwriters Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, and is portrayed by Johnny Depp. ...

Return to “General discussion”