parsagray

Re: Introduce yourself!

Sat May 20, 2017 6:28 pm

hey , anyone is here that know how i can change my rpi3 resolution to 800x480 ?
i bought a 5 inch display for it but it didn't work on some resolution .
is anyone have a code (in terminal) that can change the resolution to 800x480 ?

thanks

luxbrux

Sun May 21, 2017 9:55 am

Hello guys, I'm Italian and for two years I'm playing with raspberry. I use linux as an operating system since 2004.I do not have anything else at home. For a month on this part I'm trying to build a retropie. I'm always found reading your Guides and solutions to problems. So I wondered why I did not register!!??!! :D :D :D

Charms434

Wed May 24, 2017 11:45 pm

I'm Charms, a bit of a novice. But a quick study. Hope to learn. ;)

K6YF

Thu May 25, 2017 7:34 am

Howdy All,

Robert here, and as some of you may have noticed, my user name is also my amateur radio call sign. I received my first license in 1959 and have had an avid interest in electronics in general my whole life. I've had a smattering of programming experience, none of it professionally, by way of a couple of C++ classes in college and I also picked up a cert in networking from Cisco around the same time. It also just seemed logical to learn Linux at the same time

My work has been mainly as a Senior tech in R&D in Silly Valley where I was fortunate to have been able to absorb most of what was thrown at me by some very clever engineers (my bosses).

Currently married to my wife of ten years (anniversary in July) whom I met on the internet, I was in California, she was in Virginia a mile or so from the Potomac and a stone's throw from D.C. We carried on a long distance romance for a year before getting hitched and so my taxi to her house was a 727, or an Airbus or whatever happened to be leaving SFO at the time. I was riding a motorcycle back then and thanks to many online friends who were gracious enough to loan a complete stranger (at least in person) a motorcycle for a day and once even a week, we were able to ride on many of the very scenic roads in that part of the country. My riding days were cut short four years ago after an accident that left me a quadriplegic with a broken neck for a few months, but luckily, I was able to make almost a complete comeback thanks to some very caring nursing and PT staffers at a local rehab hospital. I think God was trying to say "it's time to quit!".

I discovered RPi's a couple of years ago and it's been a tug-of-war between them and Arduinos for my attention but both are fascinating machines and I welcome any opportunity to learn more about them.

Robert K6YF

ZombeeeePikachu

Thu May 25, 2017 7:44 pm

i'm JP, and I am just trying to get my old laptop from 2006 to run PIXEL so I can do things on it. I love coding, but am not very good at it. My username is just random because i just... well... nvmnd.

fourvees

Sun May 28, 2017 7:28 am

Hi Guys,

I am an Indian, tinkering with my Pis and GNU/Linux for over several years.

I have used my little Pis (1,2) for over a dozen of things like

* Measuring my Solar power generation using python and pymodbus
* As a Kodi media player running OpenElec
* As a Raspbian/Jessie/Pixel desktop

I am interested to see my Pis grow with more memory and CPU. I am planning to use my Pis for cluster computing running

* Apache Mesos
* Hadoop/Spark/Flink cluster
* Docker containers with k8s

Thanks,
Last edited by fourvees on Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

lentulus

Mon May 29, 2017 2:54 pm

My name is Les Howie. I've been programming for 45 years and earning my living that way for 40.

I am thinking of picking up a Pi for a little hobby project so once approved I will have some questions about the best technology stack for what I have in mind - best Raspberry model of course but also good software stacks.

I am experienced in C. C++, Java, Unix scripting. and a vast horde of technologies no-one uses any more. I last used a soldering iron in 1985 so anything I do will definitely not involve hardware mods!

My project involves using a not-very-old TV (yes, it has HDMI) as an information dashboard (displaying static images and simple graphics) controlled via some sort of TCP/IP link. If I were using say a modern laptop I'd want to present the API as HTTP endpoints using Java and spring boot and treat the display as some sort of peripheral using a standard Java library. No need for this to run at boot, assuming I can access the pi using ssh from my windows machine. But I have no idea of how much I will have to adjust this plan to work on a Raspberry (I have no problem learning new software stacks, although I draw the line at learning yet another assembler) nor what model will be most cost-effective for what I want to do.

Look forward to learning more as I go forward!

fahadhus85

Tue May 30, 2017 10:57 am

Hey guys , Fahad here.....

Yekaj

Tue May 30, 2017 10:58 pm

Hello!

My name is Jake. I'm 30 years old, and have been Active Duty US military for the past 10 years. I can't say that I've been in the Pi game for very long, and I'm not terribly knowledgeable about them or Linux in general. I've always had a passion for computers, but until recently that was limited to building gaming computers, tinkering with Windows, and playing around with OS X. I started my Pi quest with the desire to play old games on RetroPie. Since then, I've used my RPi3 for a Network Attached Storage device, stream steam games to my tv from my PC, and messed around with general linux tasks. My Pi made me fall in love with Linux, and I have since started multiple VMs on my PC with Ubuntu being my favorite so far. My next Pi adventure takes me to a LapDock which i'm struggling to find information on which lead me to registering for the forums here. I hope my LapDock allows me to dive deeper into Linux and coding. Thanks for reading!!

Mutt

Wed May 31, 2017 5:42 am

Good Day,

I've never been good at this sort of post but here it goes,

I'm me AKA Mutt, I am a long haul truck driver by night (most of the time) and well thats about all as that takes up most of my time LOL

I am fairly new to RPi but have been reading and taking ideas for some time, Having got into it I get the appeal and enjoy the learning curve involved,

I will be posting a question up soon (which may include a small expel of exasperation at the issue that I currently have)

I look forward to being a part of the community

Yimkin_FJ

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:08 pm

Hello all,

I'm Chris, and live in Cumbria, UK. Been interested in the raspberry pi since it came out, but only got round to getting one (a 3) last week. Love it.

My only 'under the bonnet' experience of computers is minor coding in BASIC on a ZX Spectrum, followed by some basic HTML in the very early 90's, playing with the command line on an eePC in the mid noughties.

I've always had a wish to learn how to program properly. My aim with the pi is firstly to properly learn the command line (amazing how much I remember from playing with the eePC, but I've found a great, free online book), then after fiddling with switch have a proper go with Python. Ultimately I want to use the mighty ohm geiger counter kit and get it talking with a Pi to log data etc, at which point I'll have to get another pi for general 'play' duties.

I love how the pi is faster for general mucking about online etc than my mid 09 MacBook Pro!

Chris
Raspberry Pi 3 Model 3 B v1.2
MacBook Pro Mid 09
iPad Mini 2
Horrible Lenovo T420 (work)

hackr

Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:04 pm

I'm Jason, a Data Scientist, security enthusiast, and new Pi user.

I'd like to explore ways to use Pi for

1. Practical smart home / robotic devices
2. Pi apps that leverage Machine Learning
3. Practical InfoSec

I have a somewhat neglected blog at hack-r.com (that's R as in the R language - a pun).

Ki113r 7

Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:31 am

Hi Guys,

My name is Haider, I'm a secondary school teacher in East London and a recent graduate of the Picademy Programme!

I've only recently gotten into the Raspberry Pi, but I'm unfortunately not very good with programming or digital making :oops:
I'm interested in improving my programming skills as well as my confidence in making projects, so hope this is the right place.

I recently just finished putting together the Google AIY kit that came free with issue 57 of the MagPi, I'm now hoping to add some further features to this project and am looking for inspiration!.

Oh and my light bulb on my AIY kit doesn't light up :(

Thank you for reading!
Fraudulent Teacher of Computer Science and hopeless programmer who is forever hopeful of improving! - Pi Certified Educator Class of 2017

mocallins

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:17 pm

Hello, my name is Mike.

I've been programming in TCL and lately Python as a network test engineer, for that last 10 years or so.

Looking to do some experimentation and some work with the Raspberry Pi.
I'd rather be an optimist and be wrong, than a pesimist and be right !

Vitorc

Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi, I am Izak, a blogger over at www. tectogizmo. com, software developer and owner of an on-line store selling camera accessories.

My biggest interest is helping people gain an interest in programming and electronics.

I have purchased the Pi 3 and will as first project see what I can do to get the PI working as camera accessory.

MarkWS7M

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi All,

Name is Mark. I worked in Unix for years then ended up in Windows for the majority of my career. I've done high resolution measurement software and hardware, factory automation and for the last 10+ years medical devices.

Wish I'd had Raspberry PI B3 back in the 90's. They would have been very useful.

I'm currently using Pi's for home control and VPN as well as control of a ham station.

SpoddyCoder

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Hello fellow Pi-nuts,

I'm a recent convert to the wonderous-ness of Pi's as a tiny little compute unit to be used at a whim wherever it may be needed :) I now have 3 and think that another may be needed soon...

My day job is DevOps - so decided to turn my attention to a big gap in the open source Pi cloning space - namely NOOBS support...

https://github.com/SpoddyCoder/clonepi

Based on the ever popular rpi-clone (which I also contribute to) - this extends the approach considerably to support multi-partition systems and offers ability to extend it even further to suit a wide range of use cases. Actively looking for contributors to help improve and grow it!

sarahgad

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:20 am

hackr wrote:I'm Jason, a Data Scientist, security enthusiast, and new Pi user.

I'd like to explore ways to use Pi for

1. Practical smart home / robotic devices
2. Pi apps that leverage Machine Learning
3. Practical InfoSec

I have a somewhat neglected blog at http:// hack-r. com (that's R as in the R language - a pun).
Since you mentioned you are a data scientist, do you have any know how on Data Studio by Google? Can you recommend where i can learn more about it and have a hands on experience.

Adagio_Leopard

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:41 am

Well hiya guys.
Name's Iwan. But on the network of fancy tubes I usually go by the name Adagio_Leopard, Adagio15 or just Adagio depending on where you look...

I'm fairly new to the world of the Raspberry Pi, since I generally stick to hardware and embedded systems, like the PIC or Atmel's AVR. But I want to start a project that's gonna require some more beef, and the Raspberry Pi will be perfect for it!

I have tinkered with it a bit. But I still have to learn a lot. And that's why I'm here...
Learning is my bread and butter. I love sitting down, and learning new things.
I taught myself how to code in C when my nephew got me an Arduino for my birthday.

Electronics have always been in my blood though. My both my grandads were electronic engineers.
When I was little my dad got me an electronics kit, and I was enthralled ever since.

I'm studying Electronic Engineering at the TUT in South Africa.
I was delayed a bit in my studies because of a lecturer that can't do her job. (I mean. She missed her first 8 classes, that's two a week. to a month gone...)
But I'm getting there. My focus is MAINLY on hardware. But I took a few software courses. I'm not bad at software. I seem to have a knack at it...(They called me the Yoda of code... HAHA But the competition wasn't very competitive...)
But there's ALWAYS more to learn isn't there?

If we stop learning. We stop living.
And that's why I'm here...
I want to dive into the deep end, and find my way out!
I want to make the Raspberry Pi my (Pardon my french) bitch!
I want to learn it's workings inside out!

Have I come to the right place?

realthyme

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Hi, I'm Alex! I'm currently using a Raspberry Pi to measurement power output from solar panels using a DIY setup. I've setup a heuris source so that others can view the power output! https:// www. heuris. io/u/alex/s/solar-powered-home

I'm interested in seeing how other people have used RPis in the field of renewable energy and sharing my progress on this forum! Let me know if you've done something similar!

Alex

spich

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:54 pm

Hello!

I'm Chip, a retired* electronics engineer. Although I've spent the last 20 or 30 years working on Windows and Apple computers, I cut my teeth on Unix way back when.

In April of this year (2017) I bought a RPi3 to dip my toe into the Linux pool. I dislike Windows 10. I can't afford Apple. So maybe I'd better find out what I can do with old Unix. We'll see what I remember and what I have to learn all over again.

I'm schooled as a digital logic / computer systems designer, but hardware doesn't do much without software so I dabble in that too. Mostly I'm familiar with c (& c++) but have worked with a dozen other languages as well as various assemblers. It looks like Python is the next language I will be picking up.

I'm located in the US in the Pacific Northwest and love the fact that the RPi community spans the globe and extends into space. I think the RPF has admirable goals and is making good progress. And it's great to see how the little Acorn has grown into such a fine many-branched tree.

I'd like to use my experience to contribute to this community. I have no idea what that means yet, but hopefully you'll see my attempts here and there. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

- Chip

*RETIRED - But getting bored and could use the additional income. Got work?

Cuscio

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:59 pm

Hi, My real name's Paolo, I'm from Italy and interested in design, coding and motorcicles.
That's why I'm going to buy a Raspberry, I'd like to merge all these passions building a board computer for my bike :D.

sunshine

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:52 am

Hi,
I am Alan, an amateur electronic enthusiast.
I hope to learn more here. Electronics and others.

zacklee

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:29 am

hi everyone. I am Scott aka Zack. I am very new. I just recieved a Rpi today!

CecoKoneco

Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi, im Tomislav and im still a student. I want to ask which discussion should I go to find ideas to bring to buying RPi.(Im still not sure.) :)

Return to “General discussion”