Perkins

Re: Introduce yourself!

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:18 pm

Hello Everyone...

I am Dave and i'm a web designer... just recently got myself a Pi Model B and started to learn the basics of Linux after a few years of telling myself that i should. The Raspberry Pi intrigued my purely from a design sense, the Pibow was a big selling point ;)

So far... loving it! Really enjoying having this little demon on my desk, quietly sitting there... feels like one day it might just spring to life, it's just picking the perfect opportunity :D

So yea... I've been lurking around this forum for a few days whilst i've been trying to configure my Pi, and i must say thank you to the community as a whole... you're all excellent and i hope that i can maybe help someone out in the future.

Speak soon :)

(My Pi)

(What i've done with it so far... SSH and VNC to my Mac)

andres

Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:37 pm

Hey everyone!
I am a student of interactive design and bought a Pi back in September. I was very interested in the possibilities offered by such a small yet powerful computer with GPIO access and high-quality graphics. I have tinkered for quite a while with Arduinos and I am excited to see how these two amazing platforms will coexist in the future.
Cheers
Andres

astolfo74

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi all!

I'm new of raspberry but is really funny and interesting...

now i'm trying to develop software compiling c sources with fedora port distribution.... but i really need more help!

Fell free to ask or say to me if i'm inappropiate!

Hi all!

Marco
:mrgreen:

djole94hns

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi there, I'm George and I come from Serbia :)

I just got my Pi and I am still in "deciding what to do with it" stage ;)

Gaspacho007

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi Awesome people!

I'm Gaspacho, 40yr old IT manager and I love robotics, electronics , science and anything tech!

I recently got my first RPi and built a relay board for it for automating all sorts. Started with garden irrigation and have big plans for home automation, hydroponics management, robots and may more.

Love the phylosophy of the org and know it's going to change the landscape of computing. Exciting stuff!

Regards
Gaspacho

DocAvo

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi all,

My name is Steve, I am thirty and from Liverpool, UK. I have always had an interest in programming and electronics, but to be honest, I have only let myself go properly in electronics and programming over the last six months.

I am new to Raspberry Pi but keen to get going, and eventually to become a Raspberry Ninja.

May the Raspberry be with you,
Doc Avo

PS - I'm also on Twitter as @BigAvo83, and hope to start putting my projects online soon.

hallambaker

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:34 pm

As requested, an introduction.

I have been working on the Web since 1992, mover to CERN in 1993 to work with Tim Berners-Lee. I was focused on HTTP and HTML at first but gradually moved into security as that became the main area that was blocking progress.

My interest in Raspberry Pi is largely driven by my hobby which is building highly accurate replica props. I have an authentic Dalek prop (New Series) that is set up for a human operator and I am currently working on a remote control/autonomous control version.

I am also interested in building supercomputers (my research interest prior to the Web). While the Raspberry Pi is not that, a future version might well be more relevant to that field than people imagine.

canada13records

Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:21 pm

Hey,

I just got my model B on pi day! Ordered the thing about 3-4 weeks ago and it magically arrived on 3/14. I think its a sign from god. And if he exists he is probably a super computer that is running our little quantum world as a simulation in a far away world.

So ... I love arduino's and music and really want to get into the world of prototyping synths. I am currently working on a synth on the Arduino Due and hope that it cones out well. I have yet to decide what to do with my pi and am anxiously awaiting the ability to get Audio into my pi. If that is possible I will run wild with this thing as a open source effects box. But for now it is a simple web browser. If you have links to cool projects and stuffs, please send them my way. I would love to know more about all of the different projects going on out there and what I can do with the pi. Relevant or irrelevant I would love to hear about them.

Oh, I also love bikes, so all bike related projects are encouraged.

- A

maheanuu

Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:18 pm

Iaorana Ia Oe! Greetings from the Sacred Isle of Raiatea! I am an ex-american, and now a naturalized French Citizen who resides in French Polynesia... I am a retired US Navy Chief Petty Officer, and and presently less than a week into my 3/4ths of a Century mark. I retired out of the US Navy in 1974, and decided that I wasn't really ready to live in the USA any longer so started looking around for a place to hang my hat and start a new life. I finally managed in 76 to get a chance for a temporary visa and was allowed to live here for 2 years, but was not allowed to work as I was required to learn French in order to stay here even as a documented alien. After I was fully retired from the military in 84, I accepted French Nationality and to this day I am honoured that France allowed me to become a Citizen. I was an Electronics Technician in the Navy and then a Sperry-Univac Field engineer (CETA) right back to the Navy doing the same job I had done there but finally at a living wage....

When I came to Raiatea, I had with me a Northstar Computer and 2 Sinclair Door Stops.. These were the first computers in the Leeward Isles and I used them exclusively for building a Data Base on all the electrical and refrigeration equipment along with the Generators used by the various hotels and everything that I had started maintaining almost 40 years ago...

I discovered the Raspberry Pi, a couple of months ago and ordered 4 of them to build for family here and one for me. I am really impressed by what I am seeing, and hopefully I will be getting up to speed in a few weeks or a couple of months to the point I can maybe discuss some things.

In the mean time, I plan on lurking and reading and building up my own data base and ideas on what I want to use this really nice computer for... man do I have high hopes and Ideas...

Aroha Ia Oe

aappler

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Hi, I'm Amy. I'm an eleven year old girl who likes to do things with the Raspberry Pi. Some of the projects I've done with the Raspberry Pi include water drop photography and time lapse photography of snow falling. I write a blog about the projects I do with the Raspberry Pi. Here's the URL: http://appler.net/amy/ Check my blog every few days to see what I've been doing with the Raspberry Pi recently.

ScottishJason

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:24 am

I'm a computer enthusiast who has decided to try his hand at a little electronic stuff. The PI is clearly a great learning tool for this type of stuff so decided to order one last week. Still waiting on it coming but I am excited to get my hands dirty with some projects, gonna take a lot of learning tho. I do have a background in programming but don't know any python yet so I am currently working on learning that stuff while also reading some basic intro's to electronics. I have a few questions that I will now go and write in the appropriate forum. Have fun with your project's

codeboy2k

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Okay. I'm old school.. I started with UNIX System III back in the day, so I've worked on pretty much every UNIX there ever has been, including all the derivatives and clones... Xenix, SCO UNIX, SVR4, BSD 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, SunOS 4.x, Solaris 2.x, HP-UX, Apollo Domain/OS, Linux kernel 0.99 days, ... Now that I think about it, I've never written a single Windows program !

I'm an EE and spent half of my career developing hardware for these various platforms that run these various OSes and writing device drivers for them.. and half of my career at software houses writing applications (SunView, OpenWindows, Motif, CDE, X, GTK, etc)

I've had my Pi since the first batch was released for sale last year, and so I have a Rev 1. board. I was interested in it mostly as a low power media server, but I've since been experimenting with the GPIO ports and turning it into a small key-server for my network with a keypad for single-factor authentication (i.e. a PIN pad) that's still a work in progress, but its fun to do anyways.

On the authentication side, I am interested in the camera module to enable key-serving with facial recognition as a 2nd authentication method. This then becomes a 2-factor authenticator. So I have a little project ahead of me here.

Cheers!

mjc43

Mike Collins

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:51 am

Mike Collins: IT salesman, one time professional programmer and serial techie dabbler. Supporting local school in getting Raspberry Pi onto curriculum and after school club.

jsimonc

Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi,
My name is Simon. I spend my work time engineering and programming large DCS system for the Oil and Gas industry. Ive got my Pi so that I can get back to basics and have a little fun again with programming. I look forward to interacting with you all over the coming time as I begin my journey. :roll:

pixiecherub1950

Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:37 am

Hi all,

I'm a retired electronics tech. with 40 years of mostly self-taught experience behind me, mainly in university labs, but with some time in small commercial companies.

As far as computing goes, my first machine (which I still have by the way), was/is a Newbury Computer 77/68, published in the (British) Amateur Computer Club Newsletter. I couldn't afford the ready made PCB's that they produced for the machine, and anyway preferred to use Veroboard for ease of modification. Had many of the early home machines of the late '70's/80's, but my favourites were (and still are!) the Acorn series, which I still have and use. So the Raspberry Pi is yet another in a long line of the Acorn legacy, and long may it remain so!

rvjansen

Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi there - I am Rene Vincent Jansen, from Amsterdam, the Netherlands. After studying history for a number of years I decided there was no future in that, and started out as a systems programmer on IBM MVS mainframes. Did this and several project and management roles to the turn of the century, and then started out on my own from 2000 on. I can and did write assembler for most instruction set architectures but fell in love with the Rexx language early on, around 1987, avoiding other programming languages as much as possible. NetRexx (netrexx.org) is a Rexx dialect for writing programs on the JVM - and that is what I end up doing most of the time. NetRexx on JDK8 runs great on the Raspberry, and it is the subject of my home automation and IP camera efforts, using mqtt and IP cam api's.

I run another Raspi at the other end of the world, and it is amazing what it all can do. Next project involves making the homes more eco-friendly and switching the larger servers only on when needed. I think most of my IT needs can be satisfied by two Raspi's and a laptop. That includes running an old MVS version on an emulated mainframe.

lsamamig

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:53 pm

wowwwww i forgot to say something about myself.. IM SIMPLY PERFECT!! ahhahaha naaa.. well what can i say?? ummm i love gadgets, playing with em, getting mad at em,, sometimes technology could be frustrating obv u know what im talking about.. anyway!! great website and such a coool product it is our lovely raspi!!! take care pals

lilkiduno

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:55 pm

Name: Douglas
RPi Version: 2

About Me:
Hello, My name is Douglas. I am currently working at a chemical plant shipping out product samples to customers or for testing. I have had a passion for computers for quite some time now and Have been looking at buying a Pi, I just never pulled the trigger on one since I am a PC gamer I have no experience with Linux. So this is going to be a learning experience for me. But am looking forward with understanding the pi on a greater level as well as learning to navigate my way through Linux without much hassle. I have been interested with the idea of learning to program as a hobby and with the Pi I can start learning just that. I plan to start with python and java seeing as as how the python information seems to be pretty easy to find on the net. My friend has gone to school for programming and has given me all his slides for java so I can slowly start picking that up as well.

Pi Set Up:
Raspberry Pi ( Ver. B)
Case (Make: Projects Case)
32 GB Micro Center Level 10 SC card formatted with Raspbian
TendaNet 250 MHz WiFi Dongle
MiniKey (Or something) USB Micro Keyboard w/ Touch pad
AOC 23" LED 1920x1080 Display

Plans for the Pi: Learning all together. then Modding maybe a case to fit my needs, I have thought about ordering a few more but as of now one is enough.

TurtleNorthwest

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:23 am

Long time visitor, first time poster....I know, you've probably all seen that tired line in a forum at least a million times.

My name is Tim and I'm an IT professional with a focus on Microsoft servers/systems. Specifically electronic mail. I've dabbled in Linux and Mac OS off and on over the years, but am in Linux so infrequently, I always have to relearn what I already knew. I picked up a Raspberry Pi model B and currently have Raspberrian running on a SanDisk Ultra class10 16Gb card. Picked up a slick little wireless keyboard with built in trackpad from Logitech to go with it. I've succeeded in getting XBMC running, but am looking at other projects to learn and play with.

This forum has already been a great help and I look forward to continue my adventures.

blueuk808

Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi - I'm Dave. I have a great deal of personal experience in breaking my home electronics setup and fortunately, to date slightly more experience in fixing them! New to Raspberry Pi and looking to set one up to take the load off a NAS that's running a number of services.

No linux experience to speak of, but I'm very good at typing things into google. I can feel alot of that coming on!

jimmcv

Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Jim - Spent 25 years in Computers/networks/Telecoms. and five before that learning about it.

You name it and I've probably poked it with a screwdriver and sucked air through my teeth while doing so.
I've been frustrated that my 11 year olds computer science classes consist (apparently) of MS office skills and minecraft.

'But Dad - writing a letters an important computer skill'
'No son, it's an important English skill'.

Anyway. After mucking about with Beebs in the 80's I saw the PI and bought one for my son. Honest. Actually he lives 140 miles away so it's mostly for me.

Will get to grips with it when I stop typing AIX and SCO commands into the thing and read a book on Python - but it looks like what I've been looking for. Now I just need a wifi connector and I'm away....

sumithar

Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:36 pm

Hi- I work on IBM mainframe application development in Cobol during the day. The Pi is a rather different environment. Plan to use it mostly for watching streaming video.

heini

Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:57 pm

Hello, I'm Chris from Germany. I have spend half of my life in IT jobs. Currently NAS Storage, VMWare and Linux are amongst my responsibilities. A colleague pointed me to the Raspberry Pi project. Yesterday I bought a book about it - this pointed me to the forum. In the first chapter the book mentioned a virtual machine image as a possible first hands on, so I will try this out.

majorposh

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:34 pm

I am a newbie, I love my PI!

airlomba

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:39 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm Emmanuel, a newbie tasting the Pi and already loving it.

Best regards to all, from Portugal,
Emmanuel.

Return to “General discussion”