Hansford

Re: Introduce yourself!

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:47 am

Hello Pi Community

It's great to finally be a part of the Pi community. I've been thinking about buying a Pi for a long time and now I am a proud owner. I am a network analyst for an ISP company so I am not familiar with programming and have stayed in my comfort zone until now. I am very happy to learn and start my first project which is going to be a smart mirror. The Rasberry Pi community looks to be a great one. Hope everyone is well.

Hansford

Sparks135

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:59 pm

Hi, this is my first time building a Raspberry, I have built over 1,000 PCs over the years. My background is in computer repair, military DEC. I have never programed anything other than building automation systems. I was a foreman in the electrical union doing building automation and controls. I completed computer school in 1965, and entered the military, where I was trained in military computers. After the military I joined the electrical union, and attended apprenticeship school for five years and college at the same time. I held a full time job in the union for 32 years, and retired, after a job accident.

I am planning to build my first Pi 3 based system for a kitchen automation dashboard run in a browser and need to run VLC Remote, and a recipe program. I truly don't know where to start yet. Doing research and asking questions here.

lslamp

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:52 am

Hi

I am Lawrence Lamprecht, South African, with a Swedish passport and living in the Netherlands.
I am a technical support engineer looking to try to break into the programming world.(not an easy task for me at the min)
I currently have 3 RPi's, mostly bening used for the media servers, but over the last year I have started playing with more things and greater challanges. My last one was installing and getting the amazon echo to work on the pi. Thanks to great support, I got it working.

Will start trying my hand at php and python.

Lawrence

Aldi

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:37 pm

I'm a french guy and I'm curious about new stuffs

neal_s

Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:34 am

I am Neal, testing a post to the forum :-)

krehator

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:55 pm

Got my first PI, a PI 3. Using it with Retropie as an emulator that will eventually be put into a full size retro arcade machine. It performs very well. Extremely pleased so far. I love the ability to have a very light computer with me anytime anywhere. I won't lie, I waited to buy the Pi to let other people be the test bunnies.

As I was sitting thinking about future projects with my other PI's I plan to buy. I thought to myself what else can be done with these small computers that has not been done already? Then while working on a server I was struck with an idea. What if a small computer like this was put onto a low profile PCI card, which would then be plugged into a host motherboard with many PCI slots. Each mini computer could be it's own physical server, and the host computer (motherboard) would provide the power and physical management interface via PCI. There would be no need for HDMI on the individual units because the host computer would provide that. Add a second network interface and a slot for SSD. It would allow for a very cheap array of servers in any desktop computer. Yeah I guess you could just glue some RPI's together but I think it would be cool if you could just buy an PI-Server on a card that you dump into your computer PCI slots too.

MrJones

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi
I am a southerner up north and find myself teaching computing in a secondary school.

I have a place on upcoming picademy course. Super excited.

transferim

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:51 am

My first computer was a timex-sinclair 1000. My first FUN computer was a used C64. I would make my own text based games, which were likely a reflection of the impatience of a 12 year old, rather than the genius I thought myself.

I am a computer junkie, and a consumate tinkerer. I rarely accomplice anything practical with computers, and when I do, it is with great reluctance and often copious resentment

Modeler

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:23 am

I'm a professional Unix / Linux system engineer and self-confessed OS junkie. I am particularly passionate about Arch Linux, my distro of choice even though it seems to be a massive minefield on Pi hardware.

I love vintage computers / consoles and the old games, from Manic Miner to Quake. Every time a new Pi comes on the market, I have to buy one just to see how well my favourite emulators will run. I'm not talking about Retropie, which is awesome but for some reason I like to do things the hard way.

Ger_Pa

Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:15 pm

My name is Gerardo, i'm from Argentina and loving my PI3B. I use the PI3B mostly for retro gaming.

n0ukf

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:20 am

transferim wrote:My first computer was a timex-sinclair 1000. My first FUN computer was a used C64.
Ditto on my first computers, though this is preceeded by learning on Apple ][ in high school. Back then (in the '80s) I played around with a little Z80 Assembly code on the Timex but never went far with it. After the C64 I moved on to Amiga and PCs (Windoze). While right now still stuck on XP (I'm too cheap to upgrade OS just because they stopped supporting it), I'm now also using Android (phone, tablet & TV box). Weeks ago I got my first Raspberry Pi with Raspbian/NOOBS, though this is not my first time delving into linux.

Starting to learn Python, I still need to get my mind wrapped around the idea of object-oriented programming in modern languages (vs the line-numbered BASICs I learned on). Over the years I've gotten a few books on programming (C, Java, etc.) but never really dove in for more than a couple chapters. My current intent is to build/program an internet radio (also with MP3 player mode & HD radio if I can find a receiver chip (they're SMD) already mounted on a breakout board).

EDIT: Prior to the Apple experience, I had read Dad's electronics magazines and was interested in building the Cosmac Elf computer project but never got a start on it.

ElectronLux

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:04 am

Hello my name is Carter i am 11 years old and have been programming since i can remember. i created my last program for an electrical engineer college student including a Test program to test the LED array that the accelerometer uses. here is a video explaining everything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fdoe5n ... e=youtu.be My new catalog is at www. ncpcs. com/pi also since it is Pi day i worked really hard to finish all of this for everyone. Thanks Raspberrypi.org for helping me.. Sincerely, ElectronLux

Bikos

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:15 am

Hello!

I am Constantine. A brand Pi Fan qho just bought his Pi3B! Im 27 y/o and 2nd year of computing bachelors degree with a a lot of last to develop Informatiom System Solutions.. Pi is goint to be my first web application server, or my first app server at all. I am so excited.

Yours,
Constantine

RoninSparrow

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:07 am

Hi,

I am Ronin. I bought Raspberry Pi 3 Model B few months back but have not been able to do anything with it because of lack of time. This year i hope i will be able to spend some time to learn the Pi.

Thank You
Ronin

Venaticalmoss

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:53 pm

Hello! My name is Josiah, and I am as of this point in time, just getting into the raspi community. I can't wait to get my hands on a raspberry pi 3! I currently have a job at a car dealership, where I wash cars. I decided almost right after I found out about these things, that I have to have one! If anyone has tips for a newbie like me, feel free to tell me!
Generic Signature

HorseMasterX

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:51 pm

My name is Horse "The Champ" Master. I don't have a Pi yet but I'm going to get the 4 when it's out. I want to learn how to code in HTML and C+. I plan on making games that can run on potatoes for people who can't afford gaming computers to play. I know that my games won't be good at first, but hopefully, I can make something worth playing in the future.

GrizzlyRizzo

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:50 pm

My name is Paul, I live in Alva a small village by Stirling in Scotland. I'm a computer aided design student, and I'm an rc enthusiast.

sudesh

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:51 am

Hello everyone,

My name is Sudesh, I'm from Goa, India. I'm a professional Stock Market Trainer (I also trade) by profession. And I'm a Software Engineer, coder by passion. Looking forward for a great experience in Raspberry world. Thanks. :)

cragglecat

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi I'm Craig. Completely new to programming and raspberry pi but having fun learning. Trying to get my kids interested but not being too successful so far.

six-by

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi I'm Six-by, and I'm totally new to Pi.

I have high hopes of building a bluetooth controlled lego vehicle with lots of lights and working TV's in the seat headrests which can play DVD's.

Ambitious I know, and I've no idea how to go about it.
(the lego part I can do, the pi bit I'm clueless about)

Thrivenrg

Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:41 am

Hello all,

Im pretty much a novice coder, I started a company about 5 years ago and the technology was pretty crude compared to what we make today. As things evolved, I had to adopt the micro controller and take on the challenges of learning to code. I started out with Arduino, taught myself to it make say " hello world" and blink leds. moved on pretty fast to developing an engine management systems involving an 02 sensor input to control a servo to correct air fuel mixtures according the fluctuating gas output of machines we manufacture. We build biomass to gasification systems that output an engine grade combustible gas that engines run on and then drive power generation systems. Ive built some timer controls and some other things.

So now its time again to step things up to a new level and that is creating a touch screen interface for our machines. Along with this I plan to add full automation so the machines will self run. Much of that code is developed in Arduino and for at least now Ill use a few Arduinos as slave modules that the RPi will control and take in inputs to output in the message center.

So at least for me this is going to be a challenge and Ill need some help on this. So any pointers or good resources for programing tkinter with the GPIO and using the available widgets with the GPIO would be of great help. There is a lot out there but as far as the GPIO used with GUI interface seems to be much less info available.

Attached is the roughed out interface using a RPi3 and 7" touch screen. Still rough yet I more to add to all munes and then Ill starting adding the meet of the code.

vijkumar219

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:13 am

Hi Everyone !! I am Vijay Kumar , I am new to Raspberry Pi ,It's awesome to be here.. I hope i will get all the support and information that i require and hope to talk to some great people in here... Thank you :)
Last edited by vijkumar219 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

CharlGK

Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:10 pm

Hi I am CGK... Took some chemistry in high school.

metalshoe

Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:44 pm

Hey people, I'm quite new to Raspberry Pi but I have a somewhat big interest in it. Planning to learn a lot here so I might as well say hi!

aarondc

Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:38 am

G'day

My name is Aaron and I am a developer currently learning all about the Pi. Wrote a can / serial app for the Pi in C for work but am keen to get into computer vision, etc.

I like to make.

Return to “General discussion”