Handry012

Re: Introduce yourself!

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:33 am

Hii Everyone,
I am Handry012

I am new to the forum from Queensland (Australia).

vld.dinev

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:30 am

Hello all!

I'm Vlad. I'm an aspiring programmer currently working as tech support (feel free to ask me stuff, I'll be glad to help you if I can).
I love computers and I am fascinated by the Pi.
I have joined the forum to share my project for an interface for the omxplayer, which you can find in the link below:
https://github.com/vladcc/gomx
I also have a blog about computing:
http://cornerofcode.co.nf/
You can check it out if you like.

Thanks for reading!

teprojects1

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:57 pm

I'm Junaid, from The Engineering Projects !
An Electrical & Computer Engineer. Expert in Arduino Projects | Proteus Projects | PIC Projectsand Matlab Projects. Also skilled in Programming languages and Web technologies. Like PHP, C# :idea:
Last edited by teprojects1 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
An Expert in Engineering Projects | Arduino Projects

Quiksilver

Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:22 pm

Hello, I'm Craig, I've been a Linux (Ubuntu) and Mac user for years, as well as the daily torture of windows systems. I've become interested in Pi's due to home automation and the Homebridge project.

usama khursheed

Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:04 pm

hii am new here... is this is useful platform ? kindly guide me

twitch2.0

Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:49 am

Hello. my name's Mark.
this is my first rpi and related forum.
I'm considered a tinkerer.
I like taking things apart and rebuilding it
just so that I could see how it works.

I've been looking for a touch screen for my rpi 3.
is it possible to use the scroll options plus 7" tablet screen
with rpi3 b

thewoodcutter

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:36 pm

Hello,

I've just joined the forum.

I've had RPIs for a little while and haven't done much with them (apart from set up a NAS to serve music to the rest of the house). I really should sort it out to serve all my media via an encrypted external hdd ... but unfortunately, more mundane things get in the way.

Got a few other projects on the go so will be looking for some help from experts!

Thanks

Doc_Savage

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:38 pm

Hello All!

Hmmm, for the most part it looks like new folks introduce themselves then go off to learn (reads take things apart, put them back together as new/different things).

Like many, I've joined because I'm new to the Pi world. Better! my son and I are. My intention is we find (or think up) projects and build them together. Saying that, last night he fires up our first Pi, a 3. Anyone out there know what the face of a nine year old looks like when is sees that raspberry on the desktop for the first time? Magical....

Me?
Bit of irony...
I was in the navy for 20 years, as an electronics technician (no clue where my multimeter is).
Picked up my BS in CIS (that's Computer information Systems to the lovely British folks :-) ).
Ya I know, you have one too, but yours only take three years, not four (hey, how could I hope to code anything if I hadn't had that french and Caribbean culture class in my senior year!).

Ironic part happens....
For the life of me, all the new languages, terms (I2C, IoT etc...) is proving either how little attention I paid in college, or things have changed, a lot!!

Anyway...
Very happy to have stepped through the door :-)
This Saturday he and I are headed to our first raspberry Jam in NJ.

Ohh, and like one or two others in here...
I'm likely to ask several questions. I do promise to have done research first though ;-)

Cheers!
Doc_Savage

DaveCooper

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi,
I'm Dave. I'm new to Rpi (very first project), but I've been doing embedded, mostly Microchip, mostly C, mostly work, for a while. This is interesting (lots of space!) and (so far) quite speedy (no hardware to design & build, mostly just plug'n'play). I like linux (but my native language is Fedora), so raspbian is ok.
Weirdest thing is no proper datasheets. Where are those 200 A4 pages, dense as granite, translated out of the original Korean by (just guessing here) a native Tagalog speaker?
I'm old, apparently. My university had 1 computer, it lived it its own building. It spoke Fortran and ate punch cards (ate mine, anyway). It was called 'the computer'. Its computing power was some minuscule fraction of an rpi.
Anyway, that should be enough of a ramble to reassure the mods that I'm not really a mad anarchist. Ask me anything - I'm always happy to admit I don't know the answer!
Dave

bryan4242

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:12 pm

Hi,

After using a Raspberry Pi for a project with my son, I'm now hoping to use it to build a robocall / telemarketer blocker that screens calls instead of using a block list.

The Pi looks perfect as my background is in computer engineering, but there's a lot to learn as I've been working in IT for a long time and only working with electronics when things stopped working.

thanks,
Bryan

RaspberryPied

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:56 am

Hi everyone,

Have been watching the development of Raspberry Pi since the original. I think it's great, however.

Pros - Everything

Cons - Desperately needs a capable web browser.

All computers now a days are pretty much useless without access to the internet. I mean, how are you supposed to update
your offline software ?

Hope all of you are well, and all the best for 2017.

Regards

RaspberryPied

Space Ace

Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi folks,

I'm Bob, a masters student and application developer who's working on a college project featuring a Raspberry Pi. It's my first time using this hardware so no doubt I'll have a lot of questions. Despite what my username says, I have never been in space. But it's nice to have aspirations, isn't it?

Rmmhc

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:58 pm

Hi! I'm a newbie to raspberry pi. I'm a member of law enforcement. I have a big interest in security. That's why I'm dabbling in the Pi.

I've looked over home security systems for the average home and am deeply unsatisfied with the options available. Cost is not on part with usability in my opinion.

My first project is going to be a home VPN. Then I'll be moving onto home security cameras and window/door sensors.

I have little coding experience but I'm a fast learner and I have a need that it seems only a home brew can fill. I'm very excited to delve into Pi and look forward to combing over these forums to look for solutions to issues I will be running into.

Thanks for letting me look over your mustakes. They're going to help me more than any book will!

thegrrr

Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:53 am

Hey! I'm Peter from Hungary and I'm about to buy a Raspberry Pi, so I joined here to gain more knoweledge.

Dimshady01

Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:17 pm

Hi all.

I am dimshady01.

I am new to all this stuff but I am really wanting the Pi for the Retro PI build.

I have on the way a pi 3 model B.

I will have a look around as I have a couple of questions about modernising it with a power button and an LED.

Thanks.

segler999

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:05 am

I'm Rick. I have two RPi 3 which I use to teach my grandkids coding.

We like to mess around with Ubuntu MATE, regular Raspian/Pixel, LibreElec/Kodi, Raspi Lite/CLI, and KanoOS.

I have them going through the Python coding chapters in the last two issues of MagPi. 53 and 54.

Fun stuff.

RovDan

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi everybody

Like the rule, I introduce myself to this forum

I am a retired French Railways Signalling worker. My hobbies are :

- Computer (I began with a CPC 6128 Amstrad in the 80th... Then I jumped to the PC quickly and Visual Basic was (no, is) my favourite language.
- Railways models. I have started a large layout in my basement. It runs very fine and as like i wishe : I made the application for the signalling boxes with my computer and ... Visual Basic.
- Electronic. I love spending hours to study a device and do it all myself:

Today I begin to discovery Raspberry Pi3. It's a huge task for my 62 Yo.....

Best regards,

Daniel

rafting

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:47 pm

I recently became a father for the first time and so have been adopting a range of 'dad-style' behaviours such as drinking real ale, losing my hair and considering taking up golf.
I'm here because I'm fascinated by the RasPi, and it's potential for teaching people (me included) more about programming and how computers work.

patz

Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi everyone.
I am a high school teacher from Greece and I like this great little thing called raspberry pi very much.

Nice to be here.

BenjiBenjamin123

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:08 pm

Hello, i am going to make this as short and super simple as I can. My name is Banjamin, but friends call me just Ben. You guys, afkors if you want, can call me Ben too, it's easier. So, i think this site is osom, useful and informative, for this reason I joined. :)

falez

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:28 am

I haven't programmed since my days on a DEC PDP 11-40; yes I am that old.
Bullied (sorry: encouraged) by my grandsons, computers have never been so much fun. Looking forward now to linking RaspberryPi with my other hobby - Amateur Radio.

FrankRD

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Frank.

I'm only seventeen, but still have a wide understanding of general/semi-advanced computing/troubleshooting and can fix just about any problems I come across.
Recently I completed my first RPi project, being a RetroPie, and it turned out phenomenally! In my opinion, at least.
I absolutely love the Raspberry Pi and plan to do much more work with them in future.

Looking forward to getting to know the community! :D
[a hunter knocks a bowl of berries out of Oh's hand]
Oh: Well, there won't be any berries in the fruit salad now, so we all lose.

SeanC

Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm Sean and this is my first ever Pi and to be honest I haven't got a clue but hope to learn more as I go along!

jim2007

Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:37 am

Hello everyone,

My name is James and I'm based here in Switzerland, my home is in a market town on the edge of the Emmenthal - yes the cheese with the holes in it, that one! I'm a dual national (Irish/Swiss) and this year I'll have lived exactly half of my live in each country!

My first computer was a DEC PDP-11... yep I was coding before the age of the micro computer! I have moved on a bit since then and these days l'm mainly involved in the design and development of applications for the the financial services industry.

I got given the PI recently along with a starter kit and right now I'm having a lot of fun learning about the physical side of computing, as I have no formal education in this area. Oh alright I'll admit it - I'm a Chartered Accountant by profession.

Anyway looking forward to the journey and all that is to come.

Best Regards,

James.

k-pi

Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi, I'm an old fella (66) that likes messing with computer stuff. 8-)

Been using Linux (& BSD) since 1999, (no MS). :P

Already have multiple desktop & laptop computers, (most running on AntiX Linux).

Just ordered up my first Pi3, wifi & 1gb ram, should make me feel right at home, as I tend to run older machines in the main.
(Most ram in any one machine that I have is 4GB - I'm not a power user.)

Ordered with a Kodi O/S, just to see what it is, but likely to install Rasbian, as I'm happy working with Debian, (may try Puppy). ;)
Last edited by k-pi on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General discussion”