Mightyhorse

Re: Introduce yourself!

Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:43 pm

Hi,

Chuck from South Dakota. Like to tinker with anything and Raspberry Pi seems like an inexpensive way to pass some time.

Thanks

PocketHarambe101

Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:36 pm

Hi!
I'm Eric, a Korean currently attending Asheville School, North Carolina.
I AM MAD FOR RASPBERRY PIES!
I have a Pi 2, a Pi Zero, and a Pi 3. I mostly use my Pi zero headlessly. I have built a custom OS for my Pi zero called Gizmo OS. It was called Dorit OS previously but I just changed the name because I thought Gizmo was a better name.
I also have a few Arduinoes, a Pyboard, and an Onion Omega.
Yeah. I'm not your average high-schooler.
I am a novice hacker, and I want to be an ethical hacker when I grow up.
I want to go to some crazy nerdy college like MIT or Caltech.

Looking forward to meeting you guys!
--BACON IS ALWAYS THE ANSWER--
0={::::::::::> (((((TNT((((((~~~*

pa5ca

Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi I'm Frans,
I live in the Netherlands and I make small electronic developments. For controlling my electronic designs I use the Arduino platform.
But to explore the possibilities started with some C ++ programming on the PI but encounter some difficulties.

I hope to find some help with my open questions..,

Kind regards,

Frans

Michiel O.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:50 pm

I'm an oldie. I grew up on the 6502 and the Z80, then got sucked into business programming on larger systems which were programmed in C, later C++, together with databases. My hobby became my work.

I stumbled on a Raspberry Pi a few weeks ago, and was pleasantly surprised how well it can run a GUI and a software ecosystem. I like the minimalism and hackability. And also important, I can use it as a tool for learning how to program ARM processors at the lowest level, which interests me very much. Did you know that 99.5% of all mobile devices and smartphones are powered by an ARM processor nowadays? The darn things are everywhere! Even in your microwave oven, your washing machine and the ignition in your car.

The videos on YouTube featuring Steve Furber and Sophie Wilson explaining how ARM came about are very inspiring.
"You can't actually make computers run faster, you can only make them do less." - RiderOfGiraffes

mhotel

Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:27 am

I am Mukul here i am very happy to join this forum thanks.
Vitamin D Deficiency

DirkDelnooz

Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:16 am

hi i'm Dirk Delnooz from the dutch speaking part of Belgium. Software developer in .net (studio) for a Nuclear Research institute.
and my hobby's are (Karate, electronics,software, and driving an old WWII German sidecar).
I wrote some programs (scoreboard) for the Belgium Karate Federation in .net.
Now I 'm introduced in this magnificent world of the raspberry ... I'm sold ...to this small in size computer... but big in opportunities.
So I want to try to rewrite the .net scoreboard program in python .and use the raspberry pi with the touch screen as scoreboard computer. I will post some questions and more explanation about my goal on this forum. On how to approach this project with the raspberry pi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8a66loGBRs

Dirk

MattHamby

Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Hello, I'm Matt from North Carolina, United States of America. I am in my 40's, I had electronics in high school, more than 20 years ago! I have some experience with electricity in construction (I'm familiar with AC here in the States). At one time I loved electronics, but that fell by the wayside as I started my career, I currently work for an engineering firm that deals with architecture. I am a jack of all trades here, I have been heading up the testing for various standards on the building envelope. During all of this I have had a desire to automate as much of the controls as possible the result being to remove as much human error as possible. In looking at various ways of doing this I have sparked my old love of electronics, I have also found out how much I have forgotten! My first steps were taking a good look at Arduino, which may be the test bed for most of the equipment due to the low cost of the boards I have found. during the last month I have discovered Raspberry Pi - I am very impressed. This has led me to think of some more items around the house that I am interested in handling. I will post ideas and questions about those in another forum as I should. I am very excited to get started, I have not made my RPi3 purchase yet, I was planning on doing that after first of the year after all of the dust settles! Any suggestions as to a good kit to get started with?

sigshane

Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:21 pm

Hello all. I am Shane, a retired Navy electrician, working at a hydropower plant in East U.S.

I have tinkered with a LOT of technologies and languages over the years, so it was inevitable that I would be drawn into the 'make' world, and begin tinkering with Raspberry Pi and Arduino.

I will probably focus my early efforts on concepts and creations I can immediately use around the house, such as a souped-up replacement to our very vanilla yard sprinkler system and a better doorbell, to name a few I already have in mind. Once I have gotten my 'sea-legs' with those projects, I would like to start thinking of and implementing new ways to automate, regulate, and/or otherwise control things in my house.

I am particularly interested in the harvesting of useful components from obsolete or discarded electronic/electrical devices; you know, breathe new life into old stuff!

I hope to learn something from y'all everyday!

Shane

webmiester

Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:50 pm

Hi,

My name is Dr. Charles. I am a physician and not really an IT expert. My dream is to utilize the Raspberry pi in healthcare and healthcare education projects. My first project is to utilize the Raspberry for a hospital management system :)

mikejordan

Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:29 pm

Hi, I'm Mike. I'm a wireless engineer and technology enthusiast. I have built a few Raspberry Pi projects starting with an Alt Coin Miner. Now I'm working on AWS and IOT projects. I just started building an Alexa Project. This is what brought me here.

Sgtkeebler

Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:31 am

Hello my name is Eric Lopez aka Sgtkeebler. I am new to raspberry pi but am no stranger to Linux. My daily driver is Ubuntu mate, but I may make the switch to the pixel image if I can get proper help. I am learning cybersecurity in school, and I'm 26.
Sgtkeebler in the house!

yolo

Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:20 pm

Hello my fellow Pi lovers. Just wanted to say hey as I am new here and am looking forward to reading quite abit about this famous Raspberry. Any questions just holler! :lol:

smokingwheels

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:07 am

I am not a man of many words but have lots of idea's and projects.

I wrote a program in 2002-2005 to fire the Ignition coil of my car (Daily drive) designed a simple interface to a PC LPT1's port which would have 3 inputs digital inputs as well as keep track of the time to fire the pulse (spark on the engine). I wrote this in QuickBASIC Ver 4.5 working in real time.

As a result I wondered about a programmable keyboard driven from a PC running QuickBASIC over the Lpt port with an open collector interface. The program is still not a complete keyboard yet, you can set delays of all sorts with loops. I have recently improved the below 10 second delay to be a bit better instead of the 18.2 Hz that the program responds to.

I have a background and hobby in Electronics and manufacturing scientific instruments, then later got a job with building and servicing all sorts of computer related things. In the days where tubes and glass was involved.

I have a basic understanding on how a Z80 software works but more of a hands on debugging and finding why some boards don't work..

If mr "CR+LF" did not send an extra one down the serial port then in 1985 we could of had a Remote Data Logger without a EPROM.

Well in 1987 we had one.. The company where I worked for many years. Just a small business and built over 10 000 units..

I have even used "wirewrap" to build computer based interfaces all the way back in them days.

Fentadroid

Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:42 am

Hello from Italy!!!
I'm interested on Raspberry to run Kodi :) i hope this forum will be usefull..!
Merry Christmas!

AndrewPiB

Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:10 pm

Hello,

I got a Pi3 a few days ago and I have just found these forums. I am no expert albeit I learnt some basics (ho ho ho) many years ago on a BBC and C64 before being forced to Pascal at Uni. I bought the RPi to set up a programmable lighting control system for my garden lighting and water features. Having had the RPi for a few days I now realise it is capable of far more than I am going to use it for. So I have ordered another one so I can keep playing while the first one is doing its job in the garden.

A massive thank you already to those using the RPi's as I have got my lighting control code working already having visited various sites and reading the great tutorials.

Regards

Andrew

Hartman3216

Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:50 pm

Hello all,

Just got my first Pi the other day and set it up just a little bit ago! Looking forward to learning as much as possible and seeing what all this little computer can do. A lot to take in since my knowledge is rather small with computers in general, figure at 30 y/o I should learn something.

Excited to learn from Washington D.C.

Woflie

Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:30 pm

Hello Fellow Raspberryans, Graham Speaking (Wolfie to my mates).. First things first.. Hope you all had a great Christmas and best wishes for the coming year.

I've finally been impressed enough to put a Pi on my Christmas list this year and sure enough a little Box turned up from Santa.. so here I am.
I had already discovered the Forum whilst writing my Christmas list as there will inevitably be questions..

Linux is not my native language, I come from Machine code, M/C Assemblers and have even had to poke and peek Data in and out of the memory locations.. (Damn! that's given my age away.) I can however follow examples from online help as above.
I had originally simply wanted the Pi to use as a simple Video testcard Generator to output from the AV connector to use for ATV transmission, but this very morning I received a Magazine download, where a new project to use the Pi for Digital Signal generation, DVB-S was announced and looks very tasty.
Yep, so Ham Radio (with Pictures) is another Hobby and I can see the Pi becoming very useful.
I haven't yet com eup with a use in conjunction with my (Motor) bikes though.. oh hangonamo... the touchscreen mentioned in the magazine project might give me an idea. I might need to buy another!
:
Wolfie
:
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana..

AADEX

Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:22 am

Hello, I am AADEX. I hope to use the Raspberry Pi to have a very informative and productive year.

chewieb

Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:32 pm

Hi, I'm a old dude picking up Python for the first time on my Pi Zero.
I am happy with C/C++ on my Arduinos but I need more power for robotics applications.

I build electronics project for a hobby and the Zero is a brilliant embedded controller for UKP 4 (or $5).

Look forward to mobile projects with GPS, a PDA (Palm Pilot), data loggers and autonomous vehicles.

Cheers

ChewieB

LarryM04

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:36 pm

Hi, I'm Larry, I'm 68, now retired and living in south-east Tenn.

I first got into UNIX systems back in the PDP-11 days when you connected with a 300 baud modem on a TI thermal terminal - it literally burned the text into the paper. I did C-programming for a living, sometimes being the system admin as well.

I picked up a couple Pi 3's a couple days ago just to tink around a bit. One I kept Raspberian, the other I loaded OSMC on to play with KODI. While at least *I* thought I was a pretty hot shot programmer at one time, I went to write a little shell program yesterday and could not for the life of me remember the syntax for a shell case statement. Maybe that stuff doesn't stay with you as good as it should.

Anyway. Hi!

SgtSharkey

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi I'm Paul, currently undergoing an applied business technologies Degree. I have a Pi 3 and at the moment I am reading through Raspberry Pi User guide by the man himself Eben.

This is the first time I want to use a Linux bistro for something more technical and learn programming languages. I have also purchased the Learning Python with Raspberry Pi by Alex Bradbury, I also obtained The Raspberry Pi 3 Essential guide.

I know what you thinking a lot of books when its all online, I am more inclined to read an actual book than an ebook. There are too many distractions total off the focus and is the best way I learn.

I want to get a career in Cyber Security and so I'm starting this Pi as my learning tool along my course, and prepare me for when I start my Masters in Computer Science and Forensic.

I am excited and can't wait to see how it all develops.

Speak soon

Sgt. Sharkey

rickc1970

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Hi I'm Rick. I have been hearing about Rasberry Pi for awhile now and have become curious. I'm looking into getting a system for gaming purposes. I figured I would join here and learn what I could before buying and setting up one so I get what I need :)

poiu2463

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:49 am

Hello,
My name is Connor. I am new to the world of microcontrollers and computers. Up to this point I have not purchased or worked with a rassberry pi of any kind, but have worked with a decent amount of Arduino projects. I am looking into a project that might need a Rassberry pi instead of an arduino. Hopedully I can get some answers on this forum. And if I continue some help from more experienced users than I. :)

jimmyneutronbg

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:58 pm

Hello community, ever since i got my first Pi a few days ago it has been a very exciting time for me. Happy to be here. Loving every moment of retropie os. My goal is to have my Pi configure out-of-band management on servers "automatically". Eager to learn and someday give back to the community. Thank you for your time.

AntonAV

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:34 am

I´m running a computer lab for an International primary and middle school in rural South India. I have to (and want to) run low cost so we can be a realistic example for other local schools around. For this reason the various (fruit) Single Board Systems combined with Linux appeal to me. For this reason we only buy new monitors with HDMI next to the old VGA port now. The inclusion of a fairly good working Web Browser like Chromium in Raspbian Pixel is vital for our school, as we run a lot via the WWW, like Kahn Academy (with Youtubes). I hope the Raspberry Pi organisation realizes this. GPIO stuff is fun for adult enthusiasts and high schools but not for us. We do keep saving locally on a NAS in case our Internet connection goes down. PXE looks very appealing for us, but we do have a setup that requires static IPs in the end. I wish future Pi´s would be VESA mountable on the back of monitors and would prefer wide availability of cooling fins on processors.

Return to “General discussion”