marksg

Re: Introduce yourself!

Mon May 09, 2016 10:59 am

Anyone with good programming skills near Reigate, Surrey, UK able to help me with a project?

Mark

Megazell

Tue May 10, 2016 11:49 am

Megazell

Avid Linux Gamer
Sometimes programmer

Working with Raspberry Pi B+ and Pi3 for gaming project with my kids and family.

kylostilo

Tue May 10, 2016 8:10 pm

I'm khairul. Hear about pi year ago.
Buy 2 pi3 this year. 1 for osmc. 1 for try n error.
I hope i can learn everything shared here.
Learning In Progress..

Immortan Joe

Thu May 12, 2016 11:11 am

Hi there!
I've been interested in electronics since... well a very long time now. I'd taken an unwilling break from it mostly for nearly a decade until recently I was forced to dig out all my old stuff to solve an urgent problem with what I had at hand. It meant finding enough hardware to do the job, get bits of it working again, find modern software to drive the PIC programmer, and remember how to program for it. It was like a reawakening.
After that I plunged into messing with modular electronics for the first time like Arduino, the esp8266 and the various modular boards like sensors, displays etc. available now. I've always built my own stuff from scratch. It was kind of nice not to do that just to test ideas.

Then I was given a Raspberry Pi Zero. I've had lots of fun with it but I realised some of what I wanted to do was too much when I bought and modified a 7 port hub for it.

Today my Pi 3 arrived. After a false start with a fresh SD card for Raspbian (I forgot to grow the partition before the initial update. Ooops!) I messed with it for a bit and for some reason I started installing various programming languages on it and started messing with it even though I have a PC running Linux right next to it and even sharing one of the monitors with it.

While I'm here, if anyone actually reads these I just want to say that RISC OS is really great on the Pi but it needs some more love from people.

NO PRESSURE

Thu May 12, 2016 10:12 pm

I im new and im really looking foward to purchase a Raspberry Pi unit to create a media center at my house and other things as well. Im from Mexico but i live in the USA.

Luis

amin137398

Wed May 18, 2016 5:26 am

hi, I'm amin ( 23 years old , born in Iran )
I study electricity engineering and I've started working on raspberry pi few weeks ago .
-_-

ajlenze

Thu May 19, 2016 5:01 pm

Howdy! I'm A.J. and I currently live in Austin, Texas, where I tutor college students in economics, math, and computer programming. I was previously a computer engineer for 15 years. I currently have only a single B+, but I just ordered 3 3s and would buy 20 Zeros for $100 right now if they were available.

broe23

Sat May 21, 2016 4:43 am

My name is Greg. I started in what I call a hobby, my wife calls it an obsession, back around 1977, before Home Computers where the in thing.

Started coding Basic on an Exidy Sorcerer. Then moved up to a Heathkit H-89 running CP/M.

I spent a lot of time teaching myself how to code in Assembly and also Basic. My dad would bring me home programs to see if I could go through and make them work on the Heathkit.

I have ran a Fidonet BBS for a short period in the early 80's. Spent more time figuring out QBasic, even though I was still doing Assembly.

Did time in the U.S. Navy working on Ships Navigation, communication systems, mechanical computers for the Wind Birds (aka Wind Speed indicators), along with other systems to make sure the ship got to where it needed to go.

My wife and I have two dogs. A Golden Retriever and a Four legged thief who tends to eat my lunch when I am not looking l, who is a Lab/Husky.

I also have a son who is going to be a Junior at the Christian University he attends for studies in Community/Yourh Ministry. My daughter works full time at a local chain grocery store as a Baker.

I got into the Pi to use it as a smsll server for doing databases in and also as a media server. I am looking to learn how I can make a unit that can be sent to a farm in Myanmar that is ran by a local mission that my wife and I sponsor a young lady at the boarding school.

I am just taking it all in to understand how the unit works with the various sensor units.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good.

al5m

Sat May 21, 2016 7:06 pm

Hi Liz,
My name is David A. Rutledge. I am a recently retired teacher and ham radio operator. I got interested in using a Raspberry Pi after reading an article in QST, the American Radio Relay League's magazine. My first computer (in the early 80s) ran DOS so digging into config.txt files to fix glitches is familiar despite a lack of formal training in programming. What your husband and his organization has done with Raspberry Pi is phenomenal. Kudos for your success worldwide.

Sincerely,
David
AL5M

MarkHaysHarris777

Sat May 21, 2016 9:50 pm

al5m wrote: ... recently retired teacher and ham radio operator. I got interested in using a Raspberry Pi after reading an article in QST, the American Radio Relay League's magazine.
David
AL5M
'73 OM

W0MHH
marcus
:ugeek:

rjeremiah

Mon May 23, 2016 1:34 am

Hi,

My name is Jeremiah and I am a teacher at the high school level. I love introducing technology whenever possible and I like finding problems for the solutions that this cool technology provides. I'm new to RPi, but I already have several projects that I want to begin work on this summer.

al_chiappone

Fri May 27, 2016 3:53 am

Hello,

my name is Stefano, I'm a computer programmer and I find that Raspberry Pi is a very good platform for image processing. I'm using Raspberry since a couple of years and never got disappointed. My last achievement is a license plate reader able to run on Pi2 @7fps on 640x480 images.

I'm crazy to test Zero, but is very difficult to get it for the right price.

Stefano

maxwas

Fri May 27, 2016 12:20 pm

Hello,

My name is Dave and I work in education in Glasgow. I have a background in computing going back 25 years as a programmer and unix/Linux systems admin. I love the Pi, I have one that sits behind my TV with a 1Tb drive attached that does lots of things. I also have another in my loft as part of a home cinema. The Pi is the best thing since...

:)

drujd

Fri May 27, 2016 9:16 pm

Hi,

My name's Daniel and I live in the South Island of New Zealand. I bought a Pi 3 for my 8yr old son, who's developing an interest in coding. His mum and I thought about a cheap laptop, but this just seemed so much cooler.

ianken51

Sat May 28, 2016 3:59 am

Hi Daniel,

My name is Ian and I live in Perth Western Australia. I bought a Pi-Top laptop from www.pi-top.com for my Raspberry Pi 2. It cost me $400 AUD delivered (May 2015) without the Pi computer module, so it's quite expensive. The Pi-Top laptop comes as a kit which you assemble; for me that was a clincher. Included in the kit is a 13.3 inch integrated LCD screen, chicklet style keyboard (you can elect for UK or US style when ordering), power supply and all screws, nut, cables, etc to build you own Raspberry Pi laptop. The battery has caused some issues, especially it let fall below 15-20% charge. There is an active on-line forum and heaps of support from other users. I've since uipgrade my Pi-Top laptop with an RPi-3 - a simple bolt-in replacement.

Pi-Top are also almost ready to deliver a cheaper screen version which uses the same screen, power supply and cables called the CEED for $99 US plus delivery. This is not a portable device, but a desktop device.

Take a look and see if it may suit your son. It looks like it provides a nice 14 inch screen and housing for the Pi, and includes a power supply and expansion bus for later developments. There is also a speaker which can be purchased and added for, from memory around $20 US plus delivery.

I've also seen a neat kit called the Kano Computer Kit for around $150 AUD that comes with an RPi 2, wireless keyboard and mouse, speaker, custom case with cables and power supply, 8GB SD Card with KanoOS and books to get started. This like the CEED looks to be good value.

Hope this provides some info for you. My feeling is that the Raspberry Pi is a great product, similar to the likes of the old BBC micro, Sinclair Spectrum and Commodore 64 computers of the 1980's, only more accessable and with a much cheaper investment. Good Buy!

Cheers, Ian

torekk

Sun May 29, 2016 12:37 am

Manuel / 23 / m / Berlin, Germany

Bought a RPi3 like 2 weeks ago as temporary desktop replacement and to get some experience with Linux, electronics and programming in general.

So far I'm really impressed by what you can do with this little thing, if you don't mind waiting a bit of course. But then again I don't do that much, usually just browse forums or blogs, edit some photos(works like a charm with Pinta) or just simply listen to chiptunes(chipmachine, woo!).

squerut

Sun May 29, 2016 7:56 am

Hello,

My name is Andrea and I live in Trieste, Italy. I'm a software architect about 40 hours in a week. I love playing videogames and recently I discovered " the wonderful world of makers" :D . I'm an happy owner of a Rpi 3 (before I had a Rpi 2 too). I like a lot try new things and make experiments with Rpi: the only limit is imagination! ;)

Deadstick Charlie

Sun May 29, 2016 8:10 pm

Hello, my name is Charles (Deadstick Charlie). I decided to embark on a new hobby after 67 years of building and flying model aircraft. Now at age 75, I look for something new to keep me busy and actively learning.

I’m a retired Civil Engineer and Machine Designer and have used computers both in work and my aforementioned hobby. I have even programmed a few things to help me along.

A few years ago I earned my Amateur Extra Class Radio Operators License (AC6WU), so I have a little experience with electronics. That being said, I am a complete newbie with Pi and will be seeking all the help and advise I can get.

My beautiful Persian wife has been a great support in the past and will undoubtedly continue to be in my new-found interest. I’m sure she will have a list of computer problems for me as well.

This new hobby will be both exciting and fun for me. I’m looking forward to my new venture and getting to know everyone.

Chakri

Tue May 31, 2016 11:21 am

Hi all,
I'm Chakri. I'm a student. I've started using Raspi 3 a month ago. I've done some simple tasks to get overview about Pi. Now I'm going to make some big play(in my view). Kindly help me if I post questions or doubts in this forum ;) . Because knowledge worth sharing :) .

kamal318

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:33 pm

Hi, I am Kamal. I used Linux installed as a VMware workgroup way back in 2008. Now I am planning to use rpi as a media center for my bedroom tv...... Wish me luck.

JPWhite

Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi

I'm JP. Longtime technologist.

Got my first RPi 3 last weekend and set it up as a Google Cloud Print Server. It works great and seems to be very stable. It's in a hot environment in a bonus room that gets very hot in summer when the A/C is off. I don't like to run my desktop while I'm out of the house with A/C off, the RPi doesn't seem to care and uses 1/100th of the power.

I've got another RPi 3 on order. Might build a media player with it, or I might use it as an alternative desktop at work, they just announced they will block webmail sites on the corporate network. I could use my RPi with Chromium and it will hideaway without taking any desktop space and cost next to nothing to devote to the task. The HDMI splitter will probably take up more desk space :-)

Looking forward to many uses for the RPi. Can't believe how inexpensive it is.

JP
RPi3 configured as Google Cloud Print Server.
2nd RPi3 on order.

dpenney

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:41 pm

David Penney in London.

Hobbyist, have a computing background and enjoy learning new things.

Have built a clock for a relative with Alzheimer's, called the TimePeace , it provides reassurance as to what day of the week it is and where in the day it is. Uses off the shelf Pi, RASPBIAN, Python, RASClock and 7" Official Raspberry Pi Foundation touch screen.

Looks quite polished. Now looking at new features that have been requested including conversational interface and shared information with family.

Also putting together retro pie for my son and have hobbyist interests in 3D printing and carving.

Regards
David

wildbirds

Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:14 pm

Peace to all here, and solace in your restless wanderings. I roam when I can, and find joy in what the earth reveals. My needs are small; my appetite, large, my time; insufficient. The RaspberryPi is my delight.

CallMeFred

Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:27 am

Hi, I am Andy from Kansas. I am a Civil Engineer and a computer enthusiast. I am here mainly to recruit help for my project.

HisDudeness

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:08 pm

Hello everyone! Arch Linux user from Italy, about to buy his first Raspi. Dig programming and scripting and simple electronics. Amateur carnivorous plants nurturer as well.
As for my favourite three arts, I've got the Zappa/Biafra, Ellroy and Tarantino/Iñárritu fever.
The Dude minds.

Return to “General discussion”