Max7

Re: Introduce yourself!

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:25 pm

Hi guys, Max here!

Looking to use the Raspberry Pi as a learning tool to really be proficient at Linux, exploring the world of Linux, and making it a home for me.

I am also using it as a spare computer to multitask and coding with it. :D

Looking forward to reading and learning!

Pilosopong Tasyo

Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:59 pm

Hi all, PT here from the Philippines. Desktop Linux user since 2009.

The Pi piqued my interest for quite some time now. Been reading about it and finally bought the 2B and accessories from RS Components a week before the launch of the 3B :!: (If only I had known the 3B was going to be announced by the end of February, I would have waited for it to be launched and ordered that instead... sighs.)

Anyway, the first project I did was to use the 2B as video surveillance for my shop. Using a couple of webcams in storage, I installed and set up MotionEyeOS. I let it run 24x7 for over a month now and it seems to work pretty well :D

I'm planning to get a couple more 3Bs soon. Got another project in mind (hotspot+captive portal).

Cheers!
Give a man a ghoti and he'll eat for a day; teach him how to ghoti and he'll eat for life. Ghoti?! - http://i.imgur.com/mAfBUdi.png
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way - http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

BkoehlerCQ

Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:25 pm

Good Afternoon,

My name Is Bruce Koehler and I am a 50 yr old web/graphic design enthusiast from Uvalde, Texas. I recently decided to start exploring more into electronics after watching several episodes of The Ben Heck Show. I am self-taught with computers, having been around then since about 1982. I just recently purchased a Raspberry PI 3 kit, and am really looking forward to learning and growing into my new hobby. One of my eventual goals is to assist my roommate augment his drone for his new business venture.

Looking forward to making new friends as well along the way.

cowboysdude1

Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:08 pm

Hey everyone my name is John. I'm a 53 year old, father of one [22 year old girl... what was I thinking? LOL] contractor from Upstate NY. Taking a break learning PHP so I can play with a pi. LOVED this thing the minute I heard about it...

SO what do I do? My right out the box project I decide to take on the car pc... LOL

I got an image file from a guy in Germany who told me that I shouldn't be doing it because I"m new.. well it's running and all in English.... my knack for 'figuring it out' is good most...and I say that loosely MOST of the time!

Thanks for having the forum... nice place!

hootie

Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:44 pm

Hello all. My name is Ken and I'm a mechanical engineer and software developer by trade. I'm also an inventor, and enjoy coming up with new products. I'm completely new to Rasberry Pi, but have been doing as much research as possible. I have already ordered enough hardware to keep me busy for the next year!

My biggest interest is in using TFT HMI displays that users can select options, and make stuff happen. I want to work with mainly motor controls and actuators. Look forward to reading through the forums and learning as much as possible.

cedarmitch

Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:57 pm

Cedarmitch from Nanaimo British Columbia Canada.

I have been a computer hobbyist since 1984. First computer was the ill-fated but still very much alive Coleco Adam. Have gone through a variety of equipment since then, including several Linux boxes. I'm still a beginner at Linux, but can hardly classify myself as a newbie any more. Know enough about several programming languages to say "Hello World", but have never done much more than nibble at the edges.

Interested in midi music, and would like to see how the Raspberry handles that with software such as LMMS and Rosegarden. I have a midi controller, a Carbon61 which I'll be trying out here as soon as I've got used to the basics.

Find that Raspberry pi represents a return to the good old days of computing when people like me actually typed in code, and went to user group meetings. Have chaired several such groups and had a lot of fun doing it. My Linux experience goes all the way back to the days when distros could actually be purchased in boxes with real user manuals. There was Mandrake, SuSe, Redhat and Slackware. The good old days.

Look forward to meeting y'all here and becoming a part of Raspberry pi. So far my experience (all 4 days worth) has been very very positive.

Cheers
Cedarmitch

robgoss

Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:45 pm

Hello everyone my name is Rob new to the Raspberry Pi forum and I have a few questions about your product. Is there a contact number I can use to inquire about buying a few Raspberry Pi's

I was also wondering ifor the Raspberry Pi would be able to fun a lightweight version of Ubuntu. This is not what I really wanted the Raspberry for but wonder if it's possible.

I really wanted it for streaming will it do that?

Thanks so much for any help
Last edited by robgoss on Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:06 pm

robgoss wrote:Hello everyone I'm new to the Raspberry Pi forum and I have a few questions about your product. Is there a contact number I can use to inquire about buying a few Raspberry Pi's

I was also wondering ifor the Raspberry Pi would be able to fun a lightweight version of Ubuntu. This is not what I really wanted the Raspberry for but wonder if it's possible.

I really wanted it for streaming will it do that?

Thanks so much for any help
Probably best to speak to your local distributer (wherever that is ;) ) - the foundation do not sell Pi's. How many is a 'few'?
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

robgoss

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:11 pm

Well I'm trying to get pricing for a complete unit that includes the unit and power cord and a case for them. The quantity will depend on the pricing.

When you say distributor who might that be?

Do I buy directly from the Raspberry Pi website

Thanks so much

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:48 pm

robgoss wrote:Well I'm trying to get pricing for a complete unit that includes the unit and power cord and a case for them. The the quantity will depend on the pricing.

When you say distributor who might that be?

Do I buy directly from the Raspberry Pi website

Thanks so much
Well I have no idea where in the world you are so I can only guess (I did give a hint of that in my earlier post). I also mentioned that the foundation do not sell pi's directly, only through there approved distributers. I suspect you would need to buy many 100's in order to get any 'deal'. Anyway, this is the introductory thread - why not post a new thread asking your questions?
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

robgoss

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:02 pm

Well I'm in Florida but I'm almost certain there's no Distributors here in Florida.. I'll ask my questions the appropriate forms. Thanks so much

jman316

Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:00 am

Hi.
Im jman316 from Birmingham. :)

Ive just bought myself a Raspberry Pi3 and hope to tinker with it. Look forward to interacting with you guys :)

bella

Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:04 pm

I'm bella,a freelancer,like fresh things.Recently,I fell in love with raspberry pi.It's amazing.I have gathered a Raspberry Pi 2 and 3.
Why say it is a magical journey?I learned from a friend about the PI,then I bought them,but i'm a newcomer,i spent a lot of time to study it.Yesterday i made a mini-computer.very very happy,I think i can do better. :P

FlightMedic

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:40 pm

Hello, my name is Will and the Pi 3 is my first attempt at programming. I am a flight paramedic and EMS educator by trade and I hope to use the Pi to power an affordable open source patient simulator for teaching medical providers. I will do my best to soak up the information already written here but I have a lot of questions so you will probably be hearing from me soon.

TinBox

Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:57 pm

I'm Paul and recently got myself a Pi 3 with 16Gb card (plus some bits to play with). Not that I've been around a bit but the first machine I ran had 1/1000th of the memory and 1/90th of the storage of my Pi and it was running the accounts for a whole group of businesses!

Getting into Python now as I've always been operations based and used Command Language and various Procedure based languages and wanted to do a little more (I mainly want to make LEDs do nice things, some of us never grow up).

Never really used unix based systems before but old enough to remember having to do stuff the long way so it's not too different. Chuckle at some of the youngsters who proclaim how it's so lightweight and speedy compared to bloated graphical systems like Windows. I bet they'd have a different view if they had to type in hundreds of long strings of commands any one of which done wrong might mean a restart. Ah them were the days!!

Koliji6

Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:17 am

Hi guys i'm Koliji6, young man of 16 years old, i'm from France

I have Raspberry pi+ and i have a lot project with that :D

Amarsh

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:15 pm

Hi my name is Andy.

I live in Southern Ontario (Canada) and purchased a Raspberry Pi over 1 year ago and have really enjoyed using it and learning.

I purchased the Pi as result of a discussion with my son. We were just hanging out around home 1 day and he asked me the computing languages which I knew how to use. He then when on to tell me that, according to his research, I was outdated. According to my son, I knew how to code in only 1 of the top 10 languages which I used today - he was probably correct.

I really appreciate the Raspberry Pi community and support for learning at all ages. I look forward to start engaging with this group.

Batologist

Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:38 pm

Hi there !

I recently purchased a Raspberry Pi 3 because, ... hmmm... not even sure why I did that.

Oh yes, I find it an awesome little piece of hardware. I always wanted to own one. I had the feeling that it would make me feel good. And then came the model 3 with wifi and bluetooth and I happened to have a few bucks to spend without my wife asking too many questions.

Well I told myself it was for the education of the kids (I am the father of three boys) but to be totally honest I am the one playing with it.

I love free software. All the computers in my house are running Linux. I sometimes play around with python or php or other programming languages but it never goes further than little games or meaningless experiments. The command line is what I really enjoy. I mean Bash. And Vi obviously.

And I wanted to have some fun with a breadboard. So now that I've got the Pi, the breadboard and even the Adafruit Cobbler, I will probably ask many questions. And I guarantee that some of them will be quite silly.
In every real man a child is hidden that wants to play.
Friedrich Nietzsche

dmchenry

Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:35 am

Hi My Name is Darin McHenry a Computer Tech in the United States supporting Education. Can I purchase directly form Rasberry Pi or do I have to go through a 3rd party like Amazon?

Lurker_pro

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:12 am

Hello guys. I was recently given a Pi 3 as a gift. They knew I liked to play old school games. This helps eliminate some older game systems for a more cleaner look around my TV now. This is new to me on a whole level, I have zero programming experience, but love new technology.

thecrimulo

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:15 pm

Hello! My name's Cristian, I've started being interested in programming since I was 8, the internet was a whole new world for me and now I'm stuck on it. I first discovered electronic components like the Raspi or Arduino last year, when my cousin bought an Arduino. I was more interested on that than him, at least I think... I'd like to learn how to use the Raspberry Pi, I have an idea on my head that can be nice ;). Well, It's me!

texasdirtdart

Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:44 am

Hi, my name is Eric. First time user of this product and overall newbie when it comes to any of this. Born and raised in Texas, US Army Veteran, Father of two girls, and now electrical/mechanical student at the tender age of 44. Trying to teach this dog some new tricks. Glad to be here and I hope to learn a bunch as I figure out how to do things like get sound on my web browser lol...cheers

A New Earth

Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:25 pm

Theres a new type of wireless Booster on Kickstarter. NASA designed and patented using the Fresnel technique. It doesn't need any power source. Completely passive. :idea:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/58 ... r-wifi-and

Thanks for looking...

A New Earth

JGS

Hans Scholte

Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:42 am

Starting in the early sixties of the last century on computers. Professionally from several mainframes to the first IBM PC's. As a hobby I tinkered with Sinclair's ZX81 to an Amiga 2000 with PC board.

Just now I am looking for an alternative for LMS server on my NAS. For this the release of the Pi 3 seemed a good start. It is just that my experience with Linux is very limited.

Hope to learn a lot from you!

Zill

Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:32 pm

I have been running various Linux distros for around fifteen years now, starting with Mandrake (now Mandriva) then moving on to Mepis and various 'buntus.

I currently run SolydX, LMDE and CrunchBang (which will soon be replaced by BunsenLabs).

As my grandson will shortly be taking delivery of a shiny new Raspberry Pi 3, I am hopeful that my Debian experience may help him get started with Raspbian.

The Pi seems to me to be a brilliant system to learn on and I so I will be following these forums with great interest as they are packed with useful information from the many helpful Pi users. :-)

Return to “General discussion”