bigbadwolf

Re: Introduce yourself!

Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:38 pm

Hello! I'm new here. I'm not really good at computing nor programming but I'm kinda interested with Raspberry Pi. Maybe I can learn stuff from this community. :mrgreen:
If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried...

ConradG13

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:28 pm

Hello, I'm Conrad. I have a PI model 2 b and, I have very little computing experience. (I can do some Ruby and HTML, though!)
I enjoy using my pi and still have much to do with it. I am very excited to own one. Happy coding!

-ConradG13
People who say times instead of multiply shouldn't be around.

kalahooga

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:54 am

hello everyone new member here. looking forward to a lot of cool project. thanks guys!

prignony

Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:36 pm

Hello, I'm Yves

I'm a java developer in Luxembourg specialized in enterprise document management system (ECM) and co-host of different usergroup in my region with our non-profit organization 6x7. I organize things like the Cafénumérique Arlon (#cafeNArlon), Devoxx 4 kids Arlon, Jeudi du libre Arlon and Repair café Arlon. Theses are probably unknown to you but hey they are local initiative so it doesn't matter. I'm also interested in all IT related stuff I've a quite a geeky side and I like to talk about it :p

I've a few Arduino at home, Raspberry 1, 2 and 3 (coming soon, still on transit). I use the Arduinos for IOT and automation like beer making, environment monitoring or UAV. The Raspberries are used for more demanding application like VCR, DNS/DHCP/Owncloud and I hope I'll be able to use the 3 for a lowcost, lowconsuption openchange serveur, we'll see if it can do that.

Hope to see you in the forum later :)

stakstar

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:53 am

Hi, I'm Shawn, I'm an electro-mechanic in Colorado. I'm pursuing an education in electronics and the raspberry pi is a fun platform to learn new skills and stay engaged in my education. I'd like to get stronger in using ssh to set up cool kodi images.

wmorton

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:12 am

I am preparing to teach a class on Raspberry Pi!

Taxicletter

Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:43 pm

Hello,

I'm Jonathan. I own a non-profitable pedicab-company with one pedicab and me as a driver. I'm also an educator for adults with autism and a mental disability.
I seem to be handy with computers, but I don't do much with it. I begin to be advanced with HTML and CSS. I'm new to Joomla and made my website with it (http://www.taxiclette.be). Now I'm learning Processing when I have time, which is not often (http://www.openprocessing.org/sketch/305960).
Since I typed out theses as extra income (when I was a student) and I discovered Mac as very user-friendly, I use Windows as little as possible. At work, we use Ubuntu and I like the opensource thought and the helpful and active community.

My MacBook will die any day and don't have much money, so I will try to use a Raspberry Pi as a replacement. I hope it's enough to surf, mail, text-edit, use Processing and DJ with Mixxx (http://mixxx.org).
I look forward to get to now a Linux distribution better and I already feel some creative stimulus from the Raspberry Pi project... I'm afraid someone will have to invent the 48 hour day really soon...

Oh, and I'm not native english-speaking, I'm Dutch-speaking. Autocorrect is a great help sometimes...

Nice to get to know you!
--::--::- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian Lite 9 - RuneAudio - one broke (wifi) - not in use -::--::--

renderjack40

Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:26 pm

liz wrote:As requested, here's a sticky topic for people to introduce themselves in.

I'm Liz, a RaspberryWife. I'm a freelance writer and editor, and I have a food blog. Before I started working as a food writer, I worked in educational publishing in London and in Cambridge. I've contributed to food books for Penguin, Channel 4 and National Geographic, and have edited and written for dozens of educational websites and textbooks. Have held many conventions, as listed here and also you can see some of my work here. Overall, it is up to them to accept or decline. They just have to be informed about it so the can make an informed decision. I handle the PR and social media for Raspberry Pi.

I am married to Eben, who had the original idea for Raspi; founded the charity; got the group of trustees together; designed the chip the device runs on and most of its software; and is the person I get to make hoover under my bed.
Hi I'm James from Iowa, a new computer enthusiast and just recently discovered this wonderful product and would like to know more about it. Anyway, I'm a business man by day and internet surfer by night. Been interested in computers since my teens but never really got the time to learn much about it. That's all I can say about myself for now. Looking forward to learning along with you folks. Oh, does anyone have any links or resources that they can share regarding basic computer programming ? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by renderjack40 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DecahedronVoid

Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:54 pm

Hi Decahedron Void here <3 (yes, really, name changed by deed poll) After over half a century of Jnana Yoga meditation, sitting in the Void, I have found the Quintessence, a distinct logic which is the root and source of all reality and consciousness. I have symbolised this logic and its implications into a grid pattern of axioms of meaning. The simplest geometric expression of this logical structure is a 4 dimensional hyper-tetrahedron, having 5 vertices and 10 triangular faces, hence my name.

Now I want to express this logical construct as a computer program, which ought to act like a form of A.I.. I am still at the research stage, trying to gain enough knowledge to know whether a Raspberry Pi or several will be up to the task and whether I should begin writing in assembly langage, Basic, Python or Wolfram Alpha. I will pose these questions in relevant sections.

I learned Basic when computers filled entire buildings and ate punched cards, learned spread sheets, data bases and word processing at business college before sinking into the relative luxury of Mac OS. Now it is time to get back to the nuts and bolts, to write an entire new language from scratch. Various aspects of my philosophical work are expressed here - https://www.facebook.com/decahedron.void

Looking forward to meeting some lovely people <3

P.S. I am currently using a tablet which will not recognise the avatar coding, so I cannot load an image. I will try to borrow another computer later to update.

Asheldon

Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:49 pm

Hi,
Not totally new to the Pi series computers. Started out with a Pi model A a couple years ago. I'm an amateur radio operator and was looking for a means to separate logging functions and CW generation (morse code transmission) from the main Desktop PC.
I'm 74 years old and not very proficient (yet) in Linux, but I do know how to search things out on the internet and failing that, READ BOOKS - LOL. Seems reading books is becoming a lost art these days.

Anyway that was meant as a joke, not a slam at anyone so I'm not putting my flame suit on just yet. These forums look like a great place to search out additions/deletions/solutions to just about anything related to the various versions of the Pi. Looking forward to being a contributor when I can.

Jim

fel_00_

Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:08 am

Hi there, this is Fel from Hong Kong. I have been working in electronics engineering or MCU field for quite long. Beginning with 4-bit, Sharp MCUs in those days where PC still running Windows 3.xx :D Then later with ARM cored MCU in recent years.

Raspberry Pi is a good platform to play hardware with, whether powerful ones or simple ones. With so much choice of programming languages. I just bought Raspberry Pi 2 for a month or so. Let's share what we have. I created a blog that to share mine:
http://rpidiy.blogspot.hk/p/raspberry-p ... e-diy.html

Have a look!

brianlinuxing

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:40 pm

Hello I'm Brian.

I am new to Raspberry pis, but a veteran of the IT industry and exceedingly keen on Linux.

I am occasionally addicted to Twitter.

I teach Linux, from scratch, when and if needed :)

Brian
https://twitter.com/BrianLinuxing

roger.frauca

Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:30 am

Hi I’m Roger from Barcelona.

I like a lot the raspberry so I want to try the new model with Bluetooth 4.

Snapshot

Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:45 am

I'm Jonathan and I'm old.....
I wrote my first lines of Fortran in 1970 and have been fiddling with computers ever since with a healthy side-interest in datacomms.

I bought an RPi to make a VPN server, having read the article on the BBC web site, and am delighted to find the problems I'm hitting are all documented so I can work through them. More later.

tehawk

Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:08 pm

Yes I skipped programming at university, and now my brain works almost as fast as Pi 3. But if it exists it can be upgraded. Im planning to buy new Pi 3 and start to work so that something imaginative becomes materialized in real world on my familly farm.

acdc

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:09 pm

Hi all,

Am a complete newbie to all this.
Have purchased a PI and am looking to get started over the Easter break.
Will have lots of questions, so hope there are some patient people on here!!

Thanks all.

Darren

Aseries

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:17 pm

I am retired after 40 years in IT support with Univac/Sperry/Unisys. I have been building PCs since 1982 if I include heavily modded Atari's. I have experimented with one other type of miniature PC running Android a couple years ago. When I got it working the way I wanted I cranked up a YOUTUBE video. About 5 minutes in it overheated so badly there was the possibility of fire and it self-destructed.
I will be buying a Raspberry Pi 3 next month and I am seriously concerned about cooling.

nicoaliotta

Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:15 pm

i'm new.
i'm Nico from Italy and i've a raspberry pi3!

arjunrampal

Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:50 am

Hello I'm arjun

I am new to Raspberry pis, but a veteran of the IT industry and exceedingly keen on Linux.

And I am From India ..

you can catch me at gmail.com

regards
arjun

kb8kacwv

Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:26 am

my name is Bruce and i have been into computers since 1977 the raspberry pi is my way of getting back into programming and actually building stuff again after all these years this is great.
I have 3 Raspberry Pi so far a 2 a 3 on the way and a plus...

anfil89

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:02 am

Hi,

My name is André and I'm portuguese.

I just got an RPi 3, and I'm sure I'll find here tons of awesome project ideas, and I hope I can count on your help to implement them. :D

Best regards,
André Luz

brekee12

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:14 am

Hello,

I am chemical and electrical engineer. I got my Raspberry half a year ago and I try to be active participant of the Forum. I am interested in hardware and software, as well as web applications, however I have not done with my own. I have some smaller success (DDS signal generator, LAMP server with temp and airpress logging and querying, ..) I am working on demonstration and teaching systems which may differ from standard text books examples. This is my first and difficult project of my own.

Good experiencing of the world of Raspberry Pi.
Laszlo
Brekee12
on a Raspberry B+ with whezzy, two Zero with Jessie Light

Electroliner

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:33 am

Hi,

My name is Ken and I am very interested in the Raspberry pie 3.

I hope to test the new Windows 10 IoT for a Amateur (Ham) radio
project I am working on.

PaulMace

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:03 pm

hi, I am Paul, a Brit in the USA.

My history is long and VERY varied, started in the R.A.F. and learned electronics (radar). After serving in Aden, Bahrain, Berlin and elsewhere in UK, finally joined Civvy St way back.

Was involved in electronics, Test Methods, programming for companies such as Ansaphone, Rediffusion, University Computing Co before finally starting my own company selling computers and software.

Earliest days of computing with 4004, 4040, 8008, 8080 and 8086, built my own computer in 1980, a Rair Black Box in kit form.

Moved onto better stuff, was employed here in US working on Reliability and Safety software, some 500,000 lines of code !!

Retired to US in 1999, currently modelling 3D trains to run on Trainz simulator, now picking up RPi to do some tinkering.

Awesome ideas and great tech for the next generation(s)
Paul of Paulz Trainz www.paulztrainz.com

Koeshi

Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:23 am

Hi I'm Koeshi from the UK. I will probably be pestering the forums with questions regarding python at some point in the near future. Sorry in advance :)

Return to “General discussion”