SelasieAgbavor

Re: Introduce yourself!

Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:38 pm

Hello,

My name is Selasie Agbavor from Ghana. I am a computer programmer by profession and love to hack electronics. I program in Python and Ruby mostly but I do Java, Javascript, C, C++, x86 Assembly etc I am looking to use the Raspberry PI to create home-grown solutions to the problems in Africa in the area of Health, Agriculture and Education. My email is [email protected] and my website is www.volsbit.com.

Regards

Selasie

matthiasR

Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:46 pm

Hey !

My name is Matthias, I'm a student engineer in France and I've been using the Raspberry for a few months :-)
Hope I'll be able to help people and to get help ;)

Best

Matthias

julianlewis

Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:27 am

Hello I am Julian,
I am a retired engineer living in France close to the Swiss/French border near Geneva where I worked. I am keeping myself amused by playing with PIs and Arduinos, and am toying with the idea of knocking up a few Android apps.
I was a professional Linux hacker and have worked at Kernel level to provide hardware support for custom devices manly to do with timing systems in particle accelerator control systems. I have lots of hardware experience, design, testing, FPGA stuff.
I am forgetting stuff at an alarming rate, so its important to keep my hand in, especially in the winter when I cant hike up and down mountains every day...skiing needs planning ahead too much to do it all the time.

peterbbshp

Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:38 pm

Hi,

My name is Peter and I am a computer scientist who recently transitioned into philosophy.

After I filled up most of my ScreenSaver 1TB media player with a relatively small number of videos, I decided to try the new Raspberry Pi 2 Model B using the media server kit. I was able to get it up and running using the OpenElec OS in just over a day. It is connected via wired ethernet to my main desktop computer, which has a backup of everything on my ScreenPlay. It is now able to play all the media that I had on my ScreenPlay. The browser-based remote control is working quite well, except that I need a Wifi only mobile device to use as my remote control. I haven't found this yet. I can use my laptop until I get this deployed.

I am very impressed by this board (my enclosure is adequate, but not very good), and all of the kit except the enclosure.

I have helped a little on some open source projects in the past, so I am going to see what I can do to help document this wonderful kit, and maybe even help it become better. Although I was able to get a great media server running in about a day, I am concerned that many other people might not be able to do it as easily. This product is so close to being able to serve the general public, and I love the degree of open source involved in the project, so it is worth helping out a little.

HitachiPentaxPi

Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:41 pm

Hi I'm Alex, I'm fairly new to the Pi, trying to make a device to control my camera, can anyone help?

HitachiPentaxPi

Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:15 pm

Hi I'm Alex, as yet I know little about the Pi but planning to use these forums to learn how to make a retro device using an SLR camera and a battery charger connected to the Pi running Frodo

kb8kac

Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Bruce ham operator kb8kac.
I have been active in computers since 1978.
I have always been into electronics and when I discovered the RPI I was hooked...
cant wait to get my feet wet...
Bruce Kb8kac

JFoley

Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:02 pm

My name is JFoley - I am looking to use the Pi to build an ADS-B receiver. ADS-B is an aeronautical term developed by the FAA that replaces ground based radar with satellite positing.

I have loaded the Pi with a pre-developed Linux operating system supplied by interested ADS-B developers.
My goals are to use the GPS receiver and dataloging capabilities for tracking satellites and using the 10-DOF iMu for AHRS (or altitude-gyro and attitude tracking)

That is my project and I am looking for anyone else interested in this type of project.I am a private pilot.

Plc

Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:40 am

Hi, I'm Philip from France.
I own 2 PIs one for home theater and the other one with an Audiophonics dac for hifi. The 1st words with Xbmc and the second one with volumio I plan to add a 16*2 older screen in couple days and an aluminum case.
Thank you raspberry for those fantastic toys!!!

Zorac

Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:59 pm

hey everyone, just received my raspberry pi. looking at doing a bit of a project running it as a weather station and security system, just waiting on more parts! happy to see such a great community here supporting these little devices!

Devpaws

Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:17 pm

Hi, I'm Devpaws, and I signed up to hopefully get a couple questions answered before I dive into a raspberry pie :lol:

KenoRosarioPH

Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:08 pm

Hi! I am Keno, 5th year Engineering student from Mapua Institute of technology, I am here to ask few things regarding my last year project dealing with the Raspberry pi. I've been into this project since the last 3 months but i can't have the luck finishing it. Hoping someone could help me thanks!

gelzibar

Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:49 am

Hello, I'm gelzibar. I've picked up the raspi in order to better familiarize myself with diy electronics projects, and continue learning code.

RayBan

Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:55 am

My Names Mitch... And I bought a Raspberry 2 pi... and it should arrive next tuesday.... I am canadian... from winnipeg.... and I do not have no knowledge of what I intend it for... I ordered it with a 2000 mah power supply, a Wifi dongle. and OpenElec micro card... I may not use it for kodi... and probably will format the card for some project... I do not know yet... But.. I'm very excited for it to arrive... =)

JoLexus

Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:06 pm

Hi my name is Alex and I fairly new to world of programming a raspberry pi.

I had one previously configured through my phone (belonged to an old roommate) but I would now like to try it out on my own.

airthies

Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:41 pm

well hello!

noob here (pun intended), got a pi2 about a month back to set up a home server for our boys using with there tablets, and all this stuff is new to me, so lookout for some silly questions that may seem a little basic...
and to elaborate a little, after getting our pi, I spent (quite) a few (late)nights setting up a minecraft server and in seeing that I had apparently got it running was quite proud of myself but........ only to find the boys tablets couldn't connect. :roll: yup I'd set up a PC server not a PE version, so some more late nights and I've got a pocketmine server running! yay... but lots to learn!
now stuffed as latest PE version cant log onto server, but that will be the subject of another thread i feel

other than that, by day I'm a heavy plant mechanic

cheers for now
Iain

alemnte

Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:17 am

Hi, I'm Jeanne and work in a company.

I'm mostly excited by the Raspberry Pi in relation to its use in education: especially getting kids interested in programming. I've always viewed the ability to program as a 'special super power' which really liberates you when it comes to actually making use of computers.

I'm hoping to get some beginners' programming resources together for the pi when it comes out. My idea is to try and re-create something like the magazine/practical help mix of the original 80s "The Computer Programme" from the BBC.

-----------------------------------------------------
http://www.coquegsm.com/category-access ... -5-45.html
Last edited by alemnte on Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cypher

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:12 am

Hi there!
I'm a student in electronics in Switzerland, I just started using a Pi2B and learning to use Linux, Python, Qt quick and so on...

I'm feeling a little lost while trying to make my very first project come to reality, the project that I call "WakeMe". It's a kind of weird project because I know what I want the hardware to be like, but I have no idea what the real use for it will be...
What it'll look like: http://www.mediafire.com/view/g5zgx0ll2 ... wTQ2yt.jpg

I'm a pretty impulsive person, when I get an idea I want it to become something and it leads me to do some pretty weird things, but I like to go head first in this kind of things... I hope to learn some useful things on these forums!

Aside of that, there's not much to say... I've always wanted to become a product designer, to invent new electronic stuff, to feel like I'm accomplishing something hat didn't exist befor an to leave the technologies' world a bit better than it was. I just turned 18, now is the time to start doing all that!

Don't know if anyone really cares, but there's a topic to introduce yourself... So I did!
Discovering a whole new world of endless possibilities

lordofpi

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi everybody

I am Cosimo and I write from Italy. I Got my first Raspberry Pi (2 mod B) and I am in love with it :D
|Raspberry Pi 2 B | Raspbian | PekWM Window Manager |

Retroresolution

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:21 pm

Hi,
I've been a proud Pi owner since 2012, and have a model 1 B and a 2. The Pi 1 is in use as a media centre running Raspbmc.

Just a handful of photos here of the modest Raspberry Pi 2 setup I've put together for Retro Gaming emulation with RetroPie.

The system is housed in a well ventilated transparent Carmac enclosure, as the system is overclocked as far as it will tolerate.

There are a couple of multi-system usb adaptors to allow the use of original PlayStation, Dreamcast, N64 and Saturn controllers.

A wireless receiver allows use of multiple Xbox 360 controllers.

I'm using a switched multi-port usb hub to allow simple switching between controller configurations (for ease of use with RetroPie's retroarch core emulators)

wibb

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:22 pm

I'm Graham, I have been mucking about with computers since 1981 with (you've guessed it a Sinclair ZX81) then progressed to a Spectrum and then the QL where due to the unreliability of the micro drives I started experimenting with constructing and attaching 5.3/4 and 3/12 inch floppy drives (which a lot of dabblers must have done) I then bought one of the first laptops from a firm in Tottenham Court Rd via the computer exhibition at or near the Alexandra Palace, this last acquisition was a waste of money (£1700 Inc. monitor I think) so I started to gather the components to build my own tower computer, which was a success, then I built several more all of which worked fine then I got lazy (or richer) and decided that someone else could build them better than me, I have always like to tinker with electronic bits, so I have now bought a B v2 and I can now start again, although Windows is never boring even with W10, I felt that with two young grandsons I could help them on the rocky road to frustration

theporter2000

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:14 pm

HihelloI'm gordon theporter2000 ive had various computers over the years im 58, im currently using the fuze which is a raspberry pi with various interfaces

XorBuss

Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:27 am

Hi!
I void warranties ;)
Who needs rand() anyway?

jrheikk

Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:06 pm

Howdy y'all!

I am a distiller at a craft bourbon distillery in the Texas Hill Country (Central Texas), I have a BS in Mathematics with a Minor in Chem.

Just ordered a beginners kit and hoping to have fun messing around with this stuff.

JRHeikk
- Drink Texas Bourbon

DeusX

Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:29 pm

Hi,
I work in embedded development for a tier 1 supplier in the automotive industry.

Not going to use the Pi's for work (were we depend 100% on real time operating system), but for personal business around the house.

Return to “General discussion”