ray.leiter

Re: Introduce yourself!

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:56 am

texy wrote:
ray.leiter wrote:Hello;
I'm Ray from Mechanicsburg, PA, USA (I really like alliteration).
I was trained in digital electronics by the USAF in 1962 as a technician on Project 465L.
Project 465L was the Strategic Air Command's Command and Control System used to manage Atlas ICBMs (at that time).
I majored in Mathematics and am now retired from the US NAVY (as a civilian) after 36 years in IT (or what may be ICT in the UK).
Actually, we originally called it ADP (Automatic Data Processing).
I am a stamp collector (US only) and like to tinker with things.
I am currently sponsoring a young man from Mbeya, Tanzania (Eliezer) who likes Mathematics and computers.
He is very focused on his studies and so cannot spend much time with me in my tinkering.
I recently decided to explore the Pi, both software and hardware wise.
I began by buying "Raspberry Pi Users Guide" and very much enjoyed reading the Introduction.
I skipped ahead to chapter 15, "The GPIO Port" and after seeing the mistakes, became somewhat discouraged considering I have the 3rd Edition of the work!
I'm hoping to find Errata for the book (perhaps on the publishers website).
As my first project for the Pi, I'd like to use it to control a coffee machine via my phone.
I look forward to meeting many Pi enthusiasts and learning much from them.
Thanks for listening. --Ray
Hi Ray,
welcome to the forum. Is that the book authored by some guy called Eben Upton?
Can you elaborate on the GPIO Port chapter mistakes?
Regards,
Texy
Texy; YES, the author is Eben Upton. The mistakes in chapter 15 I was referring to have to do with the casual references to GPIO pins such as "GPIO Pin 1", for example. If you look at the diagram on page 226 (3rd Ed.) Figure 15-3, "The Raspberry Pi Model B+ GPIO pinout", nowhere on the diagram can you find "GPIO Pin 1". So are we then to equate the 40 pin header pin 6 (ground) with GPIO Pin 6 as shown on page 234 (Fig. 15-5)? If so, then when do we NOT make such associations. The problem is simple -- the references are NOT CONSISTENT. The solution is also simple -- EITHER refer to GPIO pins numbers OR header pin numbers but not sometimes to one and then other times to the other. I think the best way to refer to pins is by using the header pin number with the GPIO pin number in parentheses. e.g. Since the GPIO is accessed via a header identified as P1 on the silk screen, then "P1-6 (gnd)" would be clear as would "P1-32 (GPIO pin 12)".
The other area where there appears to be a mistake is in the diagram "Fig 15-5" on page 234 showing "GPIO Pin 11" which should probably be "GPIO Pin 11" (as determined by looking at the code; or the code is wrong!).
I don't wish to appear overly critical of the book -- I like it, but it is the 3rd edition!

James2

Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:44 am

Hi all

just got my first Pi it's a 2nd generation Pi2 running raspbian, I also brought a PyGlow add on board but can't get it to function?
I've have a read checked and made sure I've seated it correctly, https://github.com/Boeeerb/PiGlow
blacklisted the modules etc but it still won't function?

I2c returns 54 but test.py report the module is for a Pi. Now I'm sure that's what I've got so I assume I've done something wrong?

I did notice that using the raspi-config tool inserts a different boot parameter in /boot/config.txt than was specified from support?
Pi2 Starter Kit in a PiBow Ninja case.

http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-2-starter-kit

James2

[Solved] Pi2 with PiGlow

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:54 am

got it working, did a bit more searching and found a fork for the Pi2 https://github.com/Gadgetoid/PiGlow

git clone https://github.com/Gadgetoid/PiGlow
cd PiGlow
sudo python setup.py install

i only set 100 and my eyes are burning lol.... great little box, cant wait to get it my way...

[email protected] ~/pyglow $ sudo i2cdetect -y -q 1
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- 54 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Pi2 Starter Kit in a PiBow Ninja case.

http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-2-starter-kit

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:56 am

ray.leiter wrote:
texy wrote:
ray.leiter wrote:Hello;
I'm Ray from Mechanicsburg, PA, USA (I really like alliteration).
I was trained in digital electronics by the USAF in 1962 as a technician on Project 465L.
Project 465L was the Strategic Air Command's Command and Control System used to manage Atlas ICBMs (at that time).
I majored in Mathematics and am now retired from the US NAVY (as a civilian) after 36 years in IT (or what may be ICT in the UK).
Actually, we originally called it ADP (Automatic Data Processing).
I am a stamp collector (US only) and like to tinker with things.
I am currently sponsoring a young man from Mbeya, Tanzania (Eliezer) who likes Mathematics and computers.
He is very focused on his studies and so cannot spend much time with me in my tinkering.
I recently decided to explore the Pi, both software and hardware wise.
I began by buying "Raspberry Pi Users Guide" and very much enjoyed reading the Introduction.
I skipped ahead to chapter 15, "The GPIO Port" and after seeing the mistakes, became somewhat discouraged considering I have the 3rd Edition of the work!
I'm hoping to find Errata for the book (perhaps on the publishers website).
As my first project for the Pi, I'd like to use it to control a coffee machine via my phone.
I look forward to meeting many Pi enthusiasts and learning much from them.
Thanks for listening. --Ray
Hi Ray,
welcome to the forum. Is that the book authored by some guy called Eben Upton?
Can you elaborate on the GPIO Port chapter mistakes?
Regards,
Texy
Texy; YES, the author is Eben Upton. The mistakes in chapter 15 I was referring to have to do with the casual references to GPIO pins such as "GPIO Pin 1", for example. If you look at the diagram on page 226 (3rd Ed.) Figure 15-3, "The Raspberry Pi Model B+ GPIO pinout", nowhere on the diagram can you find "GPIO Pin 1". So are we then to equate the 40 pin header pin 6 (ground) with GPIO Pin 6 as shown on page 234 (Fig. 15-5)? If so, then when do we NOT make such associations. The problem is simple -- the references are NOT CONSISTENT. The solution is also simple -- EITHER refer to GPIO pins numbers OR header pin numbers but not sometimes to one and then other times to the other. I think the best way to refer to pins is by using the header pin number with the GPIO pin number in parentheses. e.g. Since the GPIO is accessed via a header identified as P1 on the silk screen, then "P1-6 (gnd)" would be clear as would "P1-32 (GPIO pin 12)".
The other area where there appears to be a mistake is in the diagram "Fig 15-5" on page 234 showing "GPIO Pin 11" which should probably be "GPIO Pin 11" (as determined by looking at the code; or the code is wrong!).
I don't wish to appear overly critical of the book -- I like it, but it is the 3rd edition!
Hi,
sorry, I do not have the book. What I can say is that for all Pi models, whether it has a 26-way or a 40-way GPIO port, pin 1 is in the same place, as indeed are all pins up to 26, with pins 27 onwards continuing in the same manner...
Also pins 1-26 on all Pi models (with exceptions between revisions 1 and 2 boards) are also the same, irrespective of it is it a 26- or a 40-way connector.
I'm sure if it was causing major confusion generally it would of been addressed by now, taking into account the number of editions the book has gone through.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: [Solved] Pi2 with PiGlow

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:57 am

James2 wrote:got it working, did a bit more searching and found a fork for the Pi2 https://github.com/Gadgetoid/PiGlow

git clone https://github.com/Gadgetoid/PiGlow
cd PiGlow
sudo python setup.py install

i only set 100 and my eyes are burning lol.... great little box, cant wait to get it my way...

[email protected] ~/pyglow $ sudo i2cdetect -y -q 1
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- 54 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
This thread is for introductions only. You should post issues/problems etc in others areas of the forum...but I'm glad you got it working.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

retard

Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:35 pm

Hello everyone!

Glad to be here, just received my Pi 2 today. Currently installing Raspbian on it.

I'm an electronics and automotive consultant. Until now, my focus has mainly been on microcontrollers. Found the Pi2 to be the next step to move on to a more media-oriented platform. Looking at things like home automation and security and the Pi 2 will shine in that area.

Hope to give and receive help through these forums.

Cheers!

RichardPi

Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:04 pm

Hello everyone,

Just joined your forums after lots of reading and just done making version 1 of my openelec pi, and buissy perfectioning my retropie system on a b+.

My real name is also Richard, without the Pi then:-).
I'm from the Netherlands.
...never too old to to learn!

TheNeck

Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:44 am

Hi everybody,

Just got a pi 2 this week, it's actually my 1st raspberry ever. So far i am totally impressed with it. I have messed with rasplex, which runs great even with a wifi dongle. I don't really use linux, so im learning a lot.

Also thanks for this great forum of people helping everybody out. :D

DonutDeflector

Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:07 am

Hello, my name is Phillip and I am 13-years-old.

I live in the United States.

I am interested in computers, audio, baseball, anime, programming, and gaming.

I have ordered (and by I, I mean my dad.) a Pi 2.

I want to use my Pi 2 for as many things as possible (personal cloud, emulator, computer, LEGAL torrenting, and more.)

I hope to have good success with my projects and meet people in the community that will help me.

Acris

Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:55 pm

Hello
I am Acris . I'm French but I live in switzerland.
I speak a little English
I bought the raspberry pi 2 there few days and I come among you for the help.
My plan is to do a retro arcade

66h

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:56 pm

I am a computer science student from Canada (Toronto area) and recently bought a couple of the A+ models. One is a gift for a friend's son who's interested in learning to program, and the other is for my own experimentation. Python is the computer language I'm the most comfortable in.

kangmo

Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:50 pm

I am Kangmo, a software developer in Korea. I am building a cluster with 24 Raspberry Pi2s.
The plan is to build a columnar database on top of Scala + Akka Cluster and build a search engine on top of the database.
I will open source most of my work. ;-)

cesco0195

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:00 pm

hi, I'm Francesco and I'm new in the world of raspberry pi...I have bought it few time ago and now I'm trying to use it as a media center. Even if i'm at the beginning I'm sure I'll learn a lot by using it :)

westman321

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:05 pm

Hi, My name is Andra and I am working from home with a Canadian loyalty group. Fortunately my wife and I both work from home otherwise I'd be bored out of my mind right now. My job is very slow and I'm a full-time student, but still have way too much time on my hands so I want to see how I might implement the Pi 2 in the business world. I want to have it run Chrome compete with the chromebook, if possible, who knows. Maybe today, since its 14 degrees in Atlanta I'll even be able to find a good chess game online.

Gravesy

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:52 am

Totally missed this topic in my quest to find a fix for the mjpg-streamer issue i had :oops:

I'm Gravesy, not quite new in the world of Raspberry Pi's, but still clumsy when it comes to Linux from time to time (having a dayjob which has me working on a Windows system doesn't help, and being a gamer...).
I've done a bunch of projects with RPi's, from small media centers/servers to minor domotica, currently running a Musicbox on one RPi B and my personal website off another, i'm busy planning a birdfeeder cam project that i will be doing with my daughter, and i'm impatiently awaiting the imminent arrival of my RPi2 so i can move my website over to it, and free up the RPi B for the aforementioned project.

And i'm hoping that at some point the weather station project that the RPi foundation is doing for schools will go into consumer-grade production, because since i ran into the blogpost about it (protip for other parents with science-curious kids : keep them away from that blogpost!) my daugher has been asking me about getting one :geek:

vvanherk

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:10 am

Hello All.

I'm from Ontario Canada. I've been working on software development projects for the last 20+ years - mostly Java type stuff of late. Have some background in electronics, so looking to get into a Pi and start mucking around.

Cheers,
Vic

philmccan

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:30 am

Hello I go by Dj. I just bought my first raspberry pi 2. It looks like a ot of potential in this little board. Something to keep the hands and brain busy for a while. See y'all around :D

cia48621793

Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:58 am

Hi there, I'm Steve, I'm nothing but a boy.
I love science but I find them difficult especially Physics that I have eventually failed the Mid-term test.
My school does not allow students to pick up more than 2 courses, so I have chosen Physics and Chemistry. If I could have a chance, I would like to choose Biology too, but even with Phy and Chem, I have been running into deep trouble.
I also love mathematics, but seems to be hatred of statistics. I will also choose M2 as my mathematics extension in my next academic term(yay calculus).
English is not my mother tongue, so I usually have so much grammar mistakes, if you find a grammar mistakes on my post, please proof-read for me and give me a pointer reference to the error. ( :lol: )
I'm trying to save some money for a RPi 2 B+, thought I already have a Pi B, I still want a Pi 2 for real deals.

duzuike

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:16 pm

Hi,

I am Huoli, I live in ChongQing, China.

We are so lucky because we have RPi.

mott555

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:31 pm

Hello, I just joined after receiving my new Raspberry Pi 2. Been lurking for a few days here now, and I'm planning some kind of remote-controlled tracked vehicle over WiFi using my Pi. I'm a software engineer so it'll be interesting to get into hardware for once.

John_starman

Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:16 pm

Hi All,

Just joined the Pi 2 community :-) I'm 50'ish - interested in all things electronic & astrophotography. Recently completed a MOOC in Python programming so looking forward to playing with the Pi2. Would like ultimately to make a 2 wheel self balancing robot...

Cheers, John

John_starman

Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:41 pm

Hi All,

Just joined. Based in London, interested in electronics, astrophotography. Have just completed MOOC in Python programming. Got myself a Pi2 & am looking forward to playing with it. Would love to build/ prog a 2 wheel self-balancing robot... Hope to be an active member of the forum as my skills develop.

Thks, John

Bowlinra

Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:24 pm

Hi all,

brand new Pi 2 users. Got to do project with my 7yrs sons but I'm sure I play on it too.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Daza

Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:22 pm

Hello to you all fellow Raspberry Pi users

My name is Daza and im from the UK
I am an ex IT engineer and now resort my time to making the most of the ideas in my head and turn them in to reality where possible

I bought a B+ board because i liked how a compact board can do so much and over time hope to purchase many more and make the most of this low cost board with many projects

So i thought i would swing by and say hello and hope to cross paths on the forum at some point, gain knowledge and hopefully be able to add some input in the near future :D

DustinPiGuy

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:11 pm

Hi!

I'm Dustin and Im from Petaluma California. Born and raised in the bay area I have seen the computer industry grow huge over the years. I started out building PCs 20 years ago and love gadgets. I'm an electrician 17 years and counting. In the last couple years I've had my eyes opened to the world of Linux. This was mostly due to the purchase of my first Pi - a B.

Lots of ideas and not enough time or $$$!

-Dustin

Return to “General discussion”