w1qf

Re: Introduce yourself!

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:02 pm

Hi everyone, I've just (finally) got my RPi B+ to behave, but it's been a struggle. Bought an early one last year, an easy start (I use Debian Wheezy anyway) and so gave it away to my grandson.

It's not that i'm really a novice (started with a Data General Nova in 1972)- but seriously my deahs, there are a LOT of gotchas. My suggestion: (think POSITIVE) is that it would be wise to include a "quickstart" sheet with every new RPi, otherwise there'll be a lot of returned B+'s at the distributors before long.

Otherwise, all is Sweetness and Light! :D

73 es 88

terry

thanrahan1

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:17 am

Hello Folks,

My name is Thomas. I purchased the Raspberry Pi to finally take the Linux plunge and learn more about Linux as an OS and gain some programming skills at the same time. So far, all I've managed to learn and brush up on is basic Linux administration and constant updates/upgrades that fail on my Raspberry Pi Model B+ with corrupted SD cards that need to be reformatted and the process starts again. lol...

Anyway, this is a journey so I'm sure I'll laugh at the time spent (hours burned) on this frustrating (but engaging) little computer.

I plan on purchasing a few more to build my own version of a Pi Super Computer that Professor Simon Cox built and inspired me.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/raspberrypi/

I also want to engage my kids into the Pi world and build a family retro gaming rig. So many projects, so many possibilities...

Regards,

Thomas

propagandhi

Hello! From Georgia, USA.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:24 pm

My name is Douglas. Looking forward to learning more everyday.
Because it keeps on working, don't make it right.

DSPRobotics

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi all, we are DSPRobotics makers of the award winning FlowStone programming language.

We did talk to Eben a few years ago about making FlowStone for Rpi but it never happened, however we have gone one better and made some new hardware that is compatible with Rpi, and managed to get it going today! (hot off the press)

We work a lot with education and our goal is to make technology more assessable and maybe breath life into a few under used pi's on the way.

chaoticlapras

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:28 am

Hellos!

I'm chaoticlapras/docowhocool/docochaotic/adventurehunt(er)/alotofotherstuffthaticbaposting. The chances are, if you see someone on the Internet, it's probably me.

Since age... 6 I think, I've been attempting to create stuff on computers. A coupla years ago I actually started properly, and now gaze in disdain at my younger self. Wait, what?

I play a lot of games, including Minecraft and WoW... And I attempt to create mods for minecraft occasionally. Nothing substantial though.

I used a pi a couple of years ago, though briefly. My lack of any non-web programming languages brought that to a halt very quickly.

I ordered a B+ recently, and have been using it non-stop. No substantial projects yet though :(

I know: HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, asp.net, SQL and I use Ruby and C# a fair bit nowadays. I do know Python, though I hate it. I don't know why, but I do. I know Java and C a bit.

Anyway, see you people around. Buh-bye!
This space is reserved for something actually useful, and will probably never be filled.

440roadrunner

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:34 am

Howdy, name is Del. I'm an "old guy," grew up with vacuum tubes, electronic tech in the Navy 6 years in the 70's. Nowadays I hate Bill, and have been using various forms of Linux (Mint) for some time. Just bought an Arduino and a Pi kit to try and learn a bit.

An internet friend on a Mopar classic forum got me interested, he designed a scaling device to correct old fuel gauges. I'm NOT a programmer LOL

Merijn

Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:09 am

Hello everyone,

My name is Merijn (real name. I am usualy active under the name Mesmer but that one seems te be taken allready). I live in The Netherlands.

I expect my first Raspberry Pi in the mail today so I'm very new to this.

A year ago I decided to back project Plug / Lima on Kickstarter. Lima should be able to create a central memory for all devices: harddrives connected to a router.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cl ... ur-devices

This project has now missed several deadlines. Because I really like the idea to be able to have all my stuff in one place, at home, I started to look around the web and found this tutorial

http://blog.bittorrent.com/2013/05/23/h ... pberry-pi/

From that article I read more and more about Raspberry Pi and dicided to buy one.

First thing to do is install the Raspberry and play with it for a little while.
Next step is I am going to try to get a Lima-like service up and running:

- a harddrive connected to my Raspberry Pi thats always turned on.
- make it so my documents, uploads and photo's from my laptops, phone, tablet, are automaticly stored on that central hardrive when using wifi
- browse that hardrive from any device and choose to leave it offline on that hardrive or make it available on my device.

Let the fun begin :)

olz

Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi!,

23 years old, from Denmark and likes programming.

Have just ordered the B+ today, looking very forward to set it up. This forum seems very instructive as well! :)

Regards
Olz

PaddyC

Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:05 pm

Hello to the folks at the foundation, and everyone who helps make this forum the start and end to each and every PaddyC day :)

Real name, Pat Carroll. Retired mainframe engineer, worked at Amdahl in Sunnyvale CA for 20+ years. Spent lots of time with zLinux on s/390, that was lots of fun. I've been doing things with my Pis since the early days. One of my joys is watching the eyes of kids I work with when they see what's possible with a little ingenuity and a Raspberry Pi. Now, *that* is fun.

Thanks to everyone who made this possible. Acorns and Raspberries...:)

amont376

Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:49 am

Hello every,

I am Brennen Bernard I work as admin in Ocean Reef Real Estate and part work as freelancer writer. I am also looking for good committees form where i can learn and share my knowledge.

dretim

Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:43 am

Hi I am Tim from Hong Kong. I am using Raspberry Pi just for few weeks. initially I wanted to use an old desktop and ran Linux on it.

fortunately I remembered Raspberry Pi and bought one for surveillance camera. It saves me money and room space.

Just bought Raspberry Pi B+ for another pet project. :D

CharlesTeel

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:20 am

Hi. I've been working with Raspberry Pi for a while now, but am just now seeing this thread. I'm Charles Teel, the founder of Pocket Watch, LLC. which specializes in mobile app development (primarily for the iOS platform). I am using Raspberry Pi both as a hobby as well as part of our business offerings. Specifically as a mobile print server combining both open source solutions (like CUPS and Google Cloud Print) and our own proprietary technology that we ported over from Windows (http://cloudserver.pocketwatchllc.com).

axprime

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:26 am

Hi, everybody! I'm from Orlando, Florida where I work as an educator at one of our state colleges. I think the RaspberryPi has a lot of untapped potential in educational settings. I applaud everyone that has been using these devices to enhance education. I've been tinkering with my Model B for a few months. (I mostly use it to watch movies.)

I'm also working on my master's degree in education, with an emphasis on education technology. I'm learning from my classmates that there are still many classrooms in the US that lack a single computer! One of my classmates is a science teacher and says that he only has a chalkboard in his room! This seems completely unacceptable to me, given the low-cost of devices such as the RPi.

So, I'm putting serious thought into how one might promote the use of RPis in everyday classroom instruction (not just for tech-related classes.) I was browsing through the education forum for ideas. I'll post some of my thoughts there as I develop some ideas of my own as well.

NelsonM

Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:22 am

I guess I'll introduce myself while my RPi updates. I'm Nelson, a consultant and technician in Winnipeg. I've used my RPi's as replacements for DVD players in a local artists installation, and like playing around with electronics hobby kits. I know the basics of a few programming and scripting languages, but nothing super advanced, and I've been using Linux based OS's on and off since '98.

I just built a gamby shield for my arduino (it's pretty neat if anyone decides to google it...) and now I'm looking at the Pi and thinking about what kind of neat things I might be able to make with it.
~

Ach1m

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:45 pm

Good day everybody,

I have been lurking here for a while now, reading up on discussions, familiarizing with the forum and think it’s time to say “Hi” now.

My name is Achim and I study media literacy at the university of Magdeburg, Germany. Right now I’m working on my master’s thesis about pedagogical concepts to reduce technological uncertainty (aka. the mysterium of the computer). For that I would like to do an online ethnography (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netnography) of these forums – especially the educational subforums – analyzing the discussions that have been held about how to (for instance) implement the Raspi into a school setting to push forward computer science education.

I’ve been using my own Raspi (Model B) since the end of 2012 mainly as a media center (openelec) and to host a redmine instance to help me manage some of my other projects. Through the Raspi itself I’ve found my introduction to the linux universe and also the ruby on rails web framework and I can safely say that I am very fond of that little machine.

My main motiviation for my thesis is to develop a deeper understanding of what views about education and technology are being articulated here and what role the Raspi is playing in all of this.

Although I’am here to analyze what’s being discussed and later use that information to write my thesis, I can assure you that I will act strictly within proper research ethics. For instance everything that’s being said here and later finds it’s way into my thesis, will be anonymized fully.

I am happy to answer any questions you might have concerning my thesis and am also willing to give full identification to the mods.

regards

Achim

marksg

Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:05 pm

Hello
I am in the UK based in Surrey and I am not a programmer!!
I do however need one to help me with a project which I believe can be built using Raspberry. I am not sure quite how to move forward on this but it is a relatively simple project to complete. I also need some windows software written to change some variables once the program is written. It would be extremely beneficial if I could find someone local to me in the Reigate, Surrey Area.

Can anyone suggest how to proceed?

Many thanks

Mark

Lord_Jimsicle

Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:38 pm

Hello there, my name's James and I've just recently discovered the Raspberry Pi phenomenon. I'm a complete newbie at Linux and general command line computing so I'll be on here a lot looking for helpful snippets provided by you kind people.

At the moment I'm working on a Pi NES (which many people have done already) with a Model B+, photos of the journey will be shared. At this stage, I'm a bit of a lurker as someone else usually asks whatever question I have in mind before I do xD

Very grateful for this community's hard work on the SD images and tutorials.

James

axprime

Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:29 pm

Ach1m wrote:Good day everybody,

... My name is Achim and I study media literacy at the university of Magdeburg, Germany. Right now I’m working on my master’s thesis about pedagogical concepts to reduce technological uncertainty (aka. the mysterium of the computer) ...
regards

Achim
Hi, Achim. Your research sounds interesting and relevant to me. It's good to see another university student on these forums too! I am informally working to more directly involve educators (of any discipline) into the use of devices like RaspPi. Welcome! - Andrew

Ivan Tham

Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:01 am

Hi, my name is Ivan Tham. I am a student from Malaysia. I am using the Raspberry Pi as a desktop replacement. I used Linux since I was small. I am hoping for Raspberry Pi 2.

domjacko

Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi, my names Dom.

I've had a Pi for the last few years but have only recently started to play with it. I'm interested in general tinkering with the Pi using python and occasionally do some electronics with it.
Last edited by domjacko on Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wavemaker

Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:46 am

Gooday all. I'm a 60 yr young fella from Australia. A mate just introduced me to Raspberry Pi. I'm about to set up and get started so I am sure I will be on here asking lots of questions. Love the concept.

sarf2k4

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:42 am

Hi, I am Sarf (my nickname) from Malaysia, I don't have any raspi yet but looking forward to have at least one of this great device. I ran a small document printing store and planned to replace the pc with raspi. But I will find sufficient information first before buying to replace the pc or I could just buy myself one first before that.

Nice to meet you, I hope I'm able to gain a lot of useful information that I really need in the future

iamschrodinger

Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi,

My name is Fabien, I live in Brittany (France) where I study computer science.
I'm currently using my Raspberry Pi with Rasplex, as a Media Center, but I'm planning to buy another one to make some electronic experiments, and test some great examples of use we can find on this forum or on the blog :)

zealot

Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:25 am

Hello everyone,
I'm a software engineer from China. I'm living in Nanjing and 40 yrs old. I'd like to teach my son programming, so I bought a pi and set it up. Hope we can get happy playing with the pi and enjoy learning life.

Best regards,
Zhentao Huang

Linda398

Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:26 am

Hi, I'm Linda Soulie,i'm 19 I'm in Christchurch, New Zealand.
etui galaxy tab s
etui samsung galaxy tab 3 8
Last edited by Linda398 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General discussion”