Conrad Goodwin

Re: Introduce yourself!

Fri May 09, 2014 4:17 am

Conrad Goodwin
Born in PA, USA
Living in Puerto Octay, 10 Region Chile, South America.
works in carpentry and human scale security (Eschew Technomania and voluntary idiocy).
Obtained first Rpi from Element14 via MCI/Olimex.
I'm not much good for remote communications, but addicted to thinking about on-spot communications/control.

Generally, when all is said and done, a lot more is said than done
(should be a lot more done than said).
For those of you who don't love thinking about thinking, skip the above :)

I think that I like the GPIO. I don't know how to use it, but if it can control something in the real world I will learn.
Also I appreciate the ability to run debian without dimming the lights when you power on! I'm going to use it first for a silent workstation for wordprocessing and recordkeeping.

cheers.

scatcatpdx

Fri May 09, 2014 6:54 am

I am a 53 year old geek, otaku, furry, brony ham radio operator and sf fan out of Oregon. I have a bigger Hello Kitty collection than most girls, yes I am a guy. I wanted to check out the Pi for ham radio applications and one day fly a high altitude balloon mission. (that is after getting out to debt and a stable job). I amused the raspberry Pi has reinvigorate my electronic tinkering hobby. I thought tech had made electronic hobby obsolete (smt, LSI chips, BGA parts).

reghorse76

Fri May 09, 2014 4:23 pm

Hello!
Writing form Italy
I've learnt a lot as as a visitor,
now it's time to ask for help..
hope someone will give me a hand to improve my skills!
Happy owner of 2 Pi and planning to double ;)

ggregory

Tue May 13, 2014 9:37 am

Hello,

I'm Gregory, a mechanical designer interested in new technologies.

I have several projects to do with Raspberry Pi like:

- A guitar pedal looper with everything integrated in just a pedal (raspberry, alim and contactor)
- A pool vacuum cleaner,
- A RC car,

I don't have all requested knowledges, so I'm learning Debian, Raspberry Pi configuration and Python.
It is a big challenge for me and I hope this forum will answer to some of my questions about Raspeberry.

I'll try to bring my help if I can by sharing my experience.

Regards,

Gregory

JaymeH1994

Tue May 13, 2014 6:05 pm

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to say hi. I recently purchased my first PI and am looking forward to having fun with it. I'm not a total Noob, to linux, but I'm no expert either. I'm sure I'll have some questions.

gregsnothere

Wed May 14, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi, Greg here, I'm looking at the commercial potential of the Pi for digital signage. I'm located just north of Toronto Canada.

If anyone has any advice or is looking to partner on a project I can be reached at [email protected]

Looking forward to getting creative with the power of this little unit.

r4yburn

Thu May 15, 2014 7:56 am

Hi guys,

Using raspberry pi for my school project :)

tonyg1970

Thu May 15, 2014 12:13 pm

Hi, guys!!!!

I am an electronics tech, and I decided to try my hand with the pi to make my own bartop arcade machine. It turned out pretty good too.

charlysr

Fri May 16, 2014 5:34 pm

Hallo allerseits, ich komme aus Bayern und mein Projekt wird die Realisierung einer Brandmeldersteuerung sein.
Viele Grüße, Charly

kamazepine

Sun May 18, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi I'm Kam from Tunisia, i'm an anesthesia resident. Aside from my day job as a physician i'm an unsatiable tinkerer and linux fan.
Still waiting for my model B pi to arrive from amazon warehouses, in the meantime i try to learn as much as i can. See ya around.

FlexMcMurphy

Mon May 19, 2014 3:51 pm

Hello

I got a Pi recently and started playing with OpenELEC as a media center. I recently installed NOOBS to dual boot OpenELEC and Raspbian so I can play with other web programming projects. Is there anything the Pi can't do?!

Flex

HawkeyeCAP

Mon May 19, 2014 6:07 pm

I'm Alan. Been playing with computers off and on since the Commodore VIC-20 days.

Never really learned to program, only thing I ever did was type in code from magazines, so my Raspberry Pi is definitely a learning experience. I'm already learning some things about Linux. It's fun.

Will probably start asking questions here on occasion as I continue this little journey into knowledge.

homepark

Mon May 19, 2014 11:32 pm

Hello folks! I am an old guy, born before UNIX and C Language. In fact, I worked with the predecessor to the internet in the late 1960's. I am retired from IT, but I found the Raspberry Pi and it has helped breathe new life into this old brain. I recall loading the earlier Linux distributions from 3.25" diskettes. I have worked with many flavors of UNIX over the years. Ended up
as a Network Security Engineer on private and DMZ networks. Anyway, good to be here. Looks like I am the FNG!.

LKB2012

Wed May 21, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi all
I've been building my own PC's for a while and its getting expensive and pretty much "same old £$%* different day"
So been looking into the Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB RAM, UK Model) Now I'm only just scratching the surface as I can see, wont to turn my TV into a media center as such so looking in to getting advice and parts (cheap) In the Manchester UK area so going to seek some advice on how to go about doing this, Building your own rig is one thing but code and other in depth PC workings is something I'm new to. So I'm a noob and need help!
Really looking forward to getting in to this I've been waiting for something to sink my teeth in to once the little monsters gone to bed and I've got time to unwind and relax, A 2 going on 17 year old is stressful as a lot of you guys and girls prob already know. :roll:

mrpi64

Sat May 24, 2014 8:53 am

I would have thought that more than 2100 people would have posted on this if it has 170000+ views!
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

drewibbo

Sat May 24, 2014 5:04 pm

Hi y'all,

My real name is Andy Ibbitson and I'm from sunny Worthing, UK. I am a manager of a homecare provider.
My aunty used to work for BAA years ago as a computer programmer and she taught me how to look for and fix problems with my old Windows 95 pc. From then on I dabbled in building pc's for friends as well as doing web design and a bit of SQL...

I love the concept of the Raspberry Pi and originally bought one to teach my 8 year old boy how to code. But I have learned sooooo much myself such as plugging stuff into the Pi. I started off mucking around with leds, but then promoted myself to timelapse videos and temperature logging.

There is so much more for me and my son to look forward to as the scope for new projects seem to be never ending.

Andy :-)
Pi Pi Pi...

steveee

Sun May 25, 2014 4:42 pm

Hi everyone!

My name is Steve O'Sullivan, from (way too) sunny San Mateo, California USA.

I have just received my Raspberry Pi Rev B, and am loving it. Really cool little device. I am currently shaking it down by trying to get voice recognition working, using Google's voice-api/server, but cannot get my Blue Yeti USB microphone to be recognized by the Pi (I think, anyway....)

Eventually I would like to get one of these for my two boy and see if we can spark some programming interest there.

To the Team (Foundation?): thank you for creating a wonderfully inexpensive programming teaching system for the world! We have needed this for quite some time!

Best to all,

Steveee

:D
Ahhh, gee. I'm lousy at this....

panzerhacker

Tue May 27, 2014 1:07 pm

Hello!

My name is Alex and I'm receiving my raspberry pi at some point this week :D
so I decided to sign up early and to get a feel for the community here!

:D

HallidayNetworks

Wed May 28, 2014 8:07 am

Hello im Brett,

I own and operate Halliday network solutions here in the states.
I have been in the IT field for a number of years and by far my favorite gadget is the raspberry pi.

Ive built over a hundred pi's in different htpc configurations and would be more than happy to help anyone with an issue.(im no expert but we can brainstorm together)

Im also an avid skydiver atv rider boater and the occasional frosty beer drinker.

gamboa

Fri May 30, 2014 3:14 pm

Hello

Hi, I'm Jorge, from Portugal

bret1975

Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi all,

I'm Bret from South Lincolnshire in the UK and I'm a husband, father of two and all the usual stuff! I work for a solar company as Ops & Comms Technician installing monitoring systems and splicing fibre optic on large scale solar farms.

I've previously worked in IT for 17 years but Linux and Raspberry Pi are completely new to me so just enjoying experimenting with it to see where it takes me. I am attempting to build my own PV monitoring system.

I hope to speak to some of you soon.

Many thanks,

Bret

Pipedream

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:07 pm

I'm Martin, I grew up with BASIC on the BBC micro in the late 80's. I did a Computer Science A-Level when I was 13, which was over 15 years ago now so I've pretty much forgotten everything (fetch-execute what!?) so i'm going to be heavily reliant on all you smart users on here!

I mainly used Visual Basic, HTML and a bit of java, I made a bit of money from building websites afterwards. However, I think with me it was a case of too much too soon, with other commitments like school work competing with business. In the end I became quite stressed out with programming and started to cringe at the site of code of any kind. Haven't used anything more complicated than a few macros since.

I've been looking at the Pi from afar with some interest for a while. Finally took the plunge this month and got one. Hoping to get back into it with a few interesting projects. I hope it's more than a pipedream and can cure me of my codaphobia!

I'm currently a Materials engineer in charge of a small team that work for a large defence firm that design and build guided weapons. My role primarily involves failure investigation / fractography and non-destructive test with a bit of chemistry on the side. I enjoy it as it's a balance of hands on and paperwork reporting and I get to play with cool toys like scanning electron microscopes and CT x-ray machines. Despite my personal "codaphobia" I think the skills I learnt around computer science have really helped me over my career and I applaud everything the Raspberry Pi Foundation is doing to educate and create a new generation of programmers / engineers / scientists.

Great stuff, M! :)

djosefsberg

Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:47 am

My name is DJ, I just got my Raspberry Pi and in a matter of 3 days of me dreaming on what to do and where to start... I actually started here in the forums introducing myself.

Computers and electronics have always been my life, since they went mainstream and I would gather up magazines of Basic code to type into this little keyboard, connected to a tape-recorder for saving and loading data as a kid and then, all through my life.

I am currently doing LMS Admin for education, LMS stands for Learning Management System, its basically the fancy word for CRM in the education environment. I started Online work from the Get-Go (previously well involved with the worlds BBS's), in 1994 by a rather large Music Retail Entertainment company giving me both exposure and the composition to work with Celebrities, Entertainers and Musicians, did some of the first live web-streams, I then went on to private consulting and have been since 2003.

I got into the education sector about 4 years ago as a way to expand my talents and found that there is more than the work, there is more than just these servers, applications, deploying courses online for professors/instructors, there is more and I am surprised I like it, weather its for k-12 or higher education there is an amount of satisfaction that the social aspect captured me, not to mention the money is okay during this unstable economic time.

As computers are my passion, work and hobby, It was only a matter of time before the Pi and I crossed paths. I might say, RadioShack is as good a place as any here in the states but GOSH! wish I knew about this gadget a few years back, it still only came across my desk as a matter of circumstance, had the situation not arise I still would have never known & I am the said computer geek of my social circle as well as the workplace... I got to get it, Well, I got it and cant begin on where to start in addition I got this crazy idea in my head now and don't know where to present it for the Pi... and other than the situation where a Pi was needed for work and that is done now, MY Pi sits on my dresser waiting to get opened.... Where do I start What do I want to build first? Gosh Where to begin?

DJ

deafskeptic

Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:08 am

Hey all, just thought I'd I'd tell you about myself. My first name is Ellen. I'm in my late 40s.

I've been playing around with computers since I was 14. I remember when LISA came out.

I'm not great in the math dept so when it came to taking computer class along with my math class, I was not allowed to learn BASIC so the Math dept sent me to a computer class that allowed me to learn LOGOS instead. However, the school did not want us to work with Apple computers so we used IBM instead.

Since I've always been of an artistic bent, I fell in love with LOGOS and got quite good with it. Since then I've always liked anything to do with computers and graphic design. Many people seem to think that graphic design is the same as designing games. Nope. Graphic Design is about using images, typography or motion graphics. Some graphic designers are also game artists. The majority of graphic designers aren't game artists. It so happens that I like to play online rpg games as well.

I didn't actually own a computer until 1966. My first computer was a beige rev 1 G3 Mac. I prefer OS X to Mac Classic. :P I'm still using my second PC which I got in 2008. My first Linux program was Lisa Mint 14 which was dual booted with Windows 7. I lost my Lisa Mint os when disk got corrupted and needed replacement. I like computers in general though I'm partial to Macs.

RPI looked like fun to fool around so I bought one.

n3tm4n

Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:54 am

Hi All,

I got my first computer Sinclair ZX Spectrum 16k when I was 12, spent hours learning basic and finding the errors in the various listings pages of "Your Computer" and other such UK monthly mags.

Since then, been using all sorts of computers over the years, mostly old home micros, Oric 1, Jupiter Ace, Commodore 64, Amiga to name but a few then ended up with a PC, which for many years (until Win 3.1 came out) felt like a backward step from the Amiga. Never owned any Apple Mac's but other than that have come across lots of different systems.

Since about 92, I've been working in IP networking, when it started to replace the S390 SNA network at my employer. My work in networking continues, usually with Cisco platforms, but interested in network and computer forensics, and security aspects. I've been online since early 90s with compuserve then later the MSN when MS were sure the internet wouldn't be of use to anyone other than large corporates/research and governments.

Main interest is now tinkering, in what little spare time I have available. Have a number of PI's doing things I find interesting, watching wireless networks, automating SMS text messages, home automation. I've got a framed ZX spectrum on my office wall, as a reminder where my interest and later my career started.

1st time I've ever posted an introduction in an online forum, normally I prefer to be anonymous and below the radar.

Finally, I think the best invention in social media still to be invented is the un-post / un-submit button.

Have fun. Jon.
http://0x25.blogspot.co.uk/

Return to “General discussion”