BlahckBerry Phi

Re: Introduce yourself!

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Hello, I am Christopher Franklin. i am a 23 year old who is still trying to find where i fit in in the world. hmmm.... i got interested in the raspberry pi when i was looking for a way to learn how to program arduino. as a teen I would always fantasize about building a robot that would be of some assistance and provide companionship and endless entertainment.with the constant development of technology I saw that my dreams where manifesting slowly but surely. what was this robot you ask? a dragon, yes I said it a dragon. I have found that with 3D printing ,a little nano tech and a few other materials, the thought of dragons flying around and being controlled via Apps, or internet isnt that far fetched. but I knew that I had to start some where... one day I ended up in micro center looking for books and other parts to start a arduino+ gprs shield+ lcd touch screen. I know nothing about programming but interest is enough momentum to fuel a dream. I happen to run into a guy whom i thought worked at the store and told him what I had hoped to accomplish. he told me that he didn't not work there but what i was hoping to accomplish was remarkable and that I should look into raspberry pi. I raised my eyebrow thinking " but im not hungry for food". he caught my look and told me what it was and instantly it was as if an alien world of imagination and creation flooded my mind and i thought of all the possibilities. but the first question is where do I even begin to cultivate such knowledge without having to spend googobbs of money that i do not have on a school that may take more time teaching me things I may forget and not teaching me exactly what I want to know. I read books and watch videos but step by step hands on instruction is hard to come by. while I do have some basic knowledge of the hardware that i will need for my fantasy project, and and over all blueprint of how it will work. I join this forum in hopes to gain insight as well as meet people who want to push the electronics world to it absolute limits and offer a bit of guidance to a novice. I believe that anyone who can learn can teach and I am open to all styles that are effective. we all have to learn from one another and we all can teach one another

unimacs

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:48 pm

I'm Tom and have been a computer geek since the 80's. Thinks like the Pi are what keep my job fun.

Jeroentjj

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:57 pm

Hi, my name is Jeroen. I am a third grade Industrial Product Design student from the Netherlands, and I am inspired by diy electronics. I've never been very good at soldering or understanding components, but I do get how things work. With microchips and CPU's now open to the general public, it is way easier to build something that works. As a designer, I am in the process about learning more about these subjects, and exploring how I can fit them in my projects.

geoffs

Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:41 am

Hi I'm Geoff. Working with computers for nearly 40 years,
I bought a Raspberry PI out of curiosity (and because it ran Linux) and I now have 5 of them doing various jobs.
Latest is a weather camera which is a Pi and a Pi camera module. It takes 3 shots every 5 minutes, combines them into an HDR image and uploads it to my website. Plans to collect data from my weather station as well as the system is mostly idle and seems a waste not to get it to do something more!

arun karkare

Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:22 pm

I am Arun Karkare, male now young at 70 years...hhaa..hhaa.
Basically a mechanical engineer but interested in electronics from childhood.
Earlier have worked in a textile machinery manufacturing company as design engineer, and later production chief in hybrid IC manufacturing co, retired as General Manager.
Have been working on Atmel, AVR micro-controller projects for textile machines and medical electronics.
using C language,
I am always interested in self-learning something new.
Recently I am trying to learn/use Raspberry PI, but find myself in a 'lost jungle' when it comes to Linux.
I am looking for a support from this forum, such as a father to a child.......
-arun karkare

ThomasS

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:18 pm

I'm Thomas. I started programming around 5 years ago with Scratch. Since programming in BASIC for Windows for a few years in secondary school, I have become interested in the in the Pi's (and Python's) applications in electronic projects and web development. I am amazed at how simple it is to do fairly advanced projects, and have never looked back since leaving BASIC... although I will probably have to revisit it for Computing GCSE !
BTW... don't the 70-something pages show how arrogant we all are!
ThomasS

kkemp

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Hello,

My name is Kevin and I'm a software engineer. I just finished my first personal project using the raspberry pi. It's a wireless rear view camera that mounts behind my trailer while towing it. The image is viewed on an android tablet using a little app I wrote. You can also use a web browser, but it's not as convenient. If you wish to read about the camera system, visit my blog at http://www.kevinkemp.com/blogs.

I hope to do a WIFI sprinkler timer soon. I know that doesn't sound very original, but it's fun and useful.

Cheers,
Kevin

antinom

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi All,

I'm a grad student in the pacific northwest, in the humanities. I have exactly zero experience with programming, let alone linux or robotics or anything. But I want to learn and I've set up my first Pi as a desktop replacement so I can write papers in latex.

I hope to make my girlfriend a NES/SNES game-system with a pi for her birthday too!

Best

RobertHiedrick

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:28 pm

Hello, I am Robert Hiedrick. I am well versed in programming, I am currently programming a management system for a mobile phone provider company back in Spain as a freelancer

katula

Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:19 am

i'm in & hacking away, coming from arduino so trying out raspberri pi
A joke is a very serious thing.

TLBRC

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:08 pm

Evening!

I am Lewis from The Little British Robot Company, we sell robotic construction kits so I'm here to learn about what the community is up to and generally chat with you guys. Looks a great forum.
The Little British Robot Company: Inventors, manufacturers, suppliers of robotics ... and occasional tea drinkers - @TLBRC

scalci

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:30 pm

Hi Everyone

I am new to Rasberry PI and Linux. Been all my years in the Wi does environments...

I hope to get this OS underhand quick :) I must say for me it is not easy to get things done, I think it is just I dint know how...

I am looking for a quick guide to assist with installing apps, even a simple app like GPSDrive i am batteling now for 2 hrs :(...

Colm

Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:39 pm

Hi! My name is Colm Baldwin, and I'm not new to the Raspberry Pi, but I'm new to the forums. I'm eleven years old and I program stuff. I got an Arduno for Christmas and just now decided that I should start working with it! The Raspberry Pi is really neat, and I think it has a huge potential.

DCFusor

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:12 pm

Hi, I'm using DCFusor as a nic here (and all over the 'net) but my real name is Doug Coulter, owner/CEO of C-Lab, which did/does product design for a few major companies, we are kind of their skonk works at times.

I have extensive computer experience going back to dual triodes and magnetic core, but of course, everyone is a noob at some things. For me, right now, that would be things like SQL/Apache, and some of the details of the pi.
I've also been designing hardware since,,,,well, decades ago.

I write many languages, but kinda stuck on C, perl, and asm for whatever CPU I'm using, depending on the job at hand. I skipped over what I consider the "fad" languages (mostly starting with letter P or J)- life's too short to learn a strange new syntax every month (and all the libraries) to get the same old things done.

I do beam-collision nuclear fusion research as my retirement hobby, off the grid on solar power, and a lot of my "solutions" have to take imperfect power availability into account one way and another. The pi seems ideal for an always-on machine (finally!) in my environment - nice low power usage. Why fire up an i7 with 1k tesla cores just to upload to youtube for 2 hours (totally connection speed limited) when a pi can do it overnight without intervention and far lower power, unattended?

I hope to be able to help as much as be helped, here. While my entire network is linux (I quit supporting windows the instant I could) - the pi is just enough different to make for some head-scratchers.
Why guess when you can know? Measure!

murdok973

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:15 am

Hi, my name is Marco. I'm Italian and I live in Arizona. I've 2 raspberry, 30 horses, 1 pony, 7 cats, 2 dogs and. 4 kids. :-)

GingerPi

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:01 pm

Hi,

I'm new and plotting to make awesome things with the pi and then some pie so i have both awesome things and dinner :)

blue beta

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:26 pm

howdy peeps
I'm a biological scientist with delusions of grandeur (more-so having realized i just spelt grandeur correctly)
I'm currently teaching myself electronics as a hobby and doing so by building robots (I'm an LMRian to those in the know) and quite frankly due to my lack of experience falling at every hurdle ever created - but its fun none the less and keeps my brain buzzing away

Dominic

HenkyPenky

Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:18 am

Hi, my name is Olli and I come from near Munich, Germany. I have been working over 25 years with electronics and computers. Now it is time to occupy myself with the Raspberry Pi and so I came to this page. I would be glad if I get answers and support for my questions here.I can certainly contribute my knowledge too many questions. :ugeek:

Many greetings

Henky

MatroxD

Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:47 pm

I am new to the pi and programming in general. i do not have a ton of experience in electronics either. This is why I purchased my pi and some accessories. I am here and with the pi to learn..

I have overclocked my pi, setup wifi, configured the gui and and done some basic programming thus far within Scratch and Python. Mostly, I have been gathering all the pieces I think I would need to keep me completely occupied for a while.

The accessories I have are PiRack, WiPi, breadboard, USB hub, Piface CAD, and on the way, a Protorack. I purchased my pi as a kit, so I have a multitude of little accesories such as led's, resistors, etc.

I am very much enjoying what I am learning thus far and look forward to more in depth projects after i master the basics

gameinn

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:12 am

Hey, what's up Pi community! It's great to meet you guys! :D

Well, I guess here's a brief intro of myself. My handle is gameinn, however my name is Robert. I'm 24 and I've been into computers since I built my first gaming rig in my HS years. I got interested in the raspberry pi because I think its such an awesome device and what you could do with it! It's so versatile.

I recently purchased a B model off amazon last week in an attempt to make a bitcoin mining setup using ASIC cards (Antminer U1). The Pi looked so attractive to me for the simple fact that it barely consumes any electricity! I was told this site was a good place to start for help so here I am haha. I'm new to bitcoin mining. Once this becomes natural to me, I would love to help others out as well in the future. Looking forward to collaborating with some brilliant minds out there. Here's some pictures of my Pi

http://imgur.com/wVZHayl

Peace

grimfoot

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi all

Just got my first Pi and looking forwards to getting down and dirty with the programming!

grimfoot

pjadl

Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:08 am

Hi,

Got my pi about a week ago, and still can't figure out setting up wireless.

So far... the worst $35 I've ever spent.

PiRanger

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:06 pm

Hey all, My name is Darren, and I've just bought my R'Pi. I'm intending to learn how to program with it, and to try a few of the other projects I've seen such as setting up a server etc. I first started computing with a ZX Spectrum back in 1984, and yes, I am in my 40's :D
I've also got an Ouya mini-console, and am getting into Linux and Android based stuff.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:52 pm

pjadl wrote:Hi,

Got my pi about a week ago, and still can't figure out setting up wireless.

So far... the worst $35 I've ever spent.
Perhaps asking a question about fixing it rather than whinging would be a better approach? Don't blame the Raspi because *you* are unable to get something working. 100 of thousands of people have WIfi working fine, so it's just a matter of research and finding the right procedure.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jbrines

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:16 am

I am John and I have been using the Pi for a couple of months, now experimenting with minidlna.

Hi Guys.

John.

Return to “General discussion”