ti994/a

Re: Introduce yourself!

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi I'm Mark - I've been addicted to computers for over 30 years now (is this a confession meeting?) and have made my career in technology.

Started with my first computer a Texas Ti994/a - used to type in all the games with my Dad and then spend hours trying to get them running. Such great times and it's the passion of these early home computing years that I feel when I power up my Raspberry Pi and it's this feeling I am trying to get my kids interested in but it's not easy these days with all the other distractions they have to hand like games consoles, iPads etc.

Love what you guys are doing.

RicottaPi

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:39 am

Hey Pi Community,

I'm a 26 year old Electrical Engineer at a one of the biggest semiconductor companies in the world. My specialty is in Analog Test and Validation, but I've spent a fair amount of time in mixed signal applications as well.

Programming wise I prefer to stick to Labview, C/C++, and Java.

Hopefully I can make some good analog contributions!

-RicottaPi

The_Pi_Man

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:16 pm

Hi, Pi_Man here.

Recently bought a raspberrypi and thought I'd give RASPBMC a whirl not expecting much (slow streaming of HD over wifi etc). I was so wrong. Flawless playback with everything I've tried so far.

This now means I need to be buy another Pi to mess around on. That's never a bad thing.

iainmcphersn

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi,

My wonderful wife got me an A model for Christmas. I've played with Ubuntu before but not in depth. Was able to get my Pi running with a Belkin USB to Ethernet dongle, SSH session and VNC. Should have the HDMI to DVI cable soon and be able to watch the boot sequence. Not sure what I am going to do with it yet.

John Ellis
Madison AL

(edited to add name/location)

pmac

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:11 am

Hi All,

Finally got a Pi yesterday (posting from it now :D). Been wanting one since before they were available but not had the time/cash to spare.

Been using Linux & FreeBSD on and off for a few years.

I owned an Archimedes 310 (with whopping 4MB RAM & 20MB HD) so liking the opportunity to run RISC OS again.

See ya 'round.
Paul

pattongong

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:49 am

hi
My name is Patton from Beijing in China, 30 years old software engineer, currently working in an internet company. It happened my company launched a wearable device project and i just read a report about Raspberry Pi from a magzine, so i want to learn more about Raspberry Pi and figure out what we can do on the platform. I have some programming expeirence on Android, Symbian and Windows. I had a trip to UK about 5 years ago and I thinkd it's a clean and quiet place. I am totally new to Raspberry pi and want to see if we can port some image/audio recognition algorithm into Pi.

burnsie

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:36 pm

Hello everyone,

Pleasure to be among you all! New here, obviously, I just received my RPi today. I don't really have an overall aim or project in mind, I just want to start coding and start learning!

Hopefully you'll be able to help me out if needed, and with time I might be able to do the opposite!

Cheers,

Burnsie

darylfx

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:36 am

Hi I'm Daryl.
I'm a recent Computer Science graduate living in Ireland. I started learning code when I was 17. I've always had an interest in technology and my interest in coding developed from that. My preferred language is Python. I currently use it along with Django to build websites. I look forward to contributing to this forum!!

Mackers

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Hi all,

Just ordered my RaspberryPi after discovering it last week.
I have never done anything with regards programming but the Pi has really got me interested.

I`m interested in setting it up for home automation and stuff like temperature logging.

I`m sure I`ll be on a lot looking help and support.

Happy new year everyone!!

Hasan Sengezer

Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:17 pm

Hi y'all,

My name is Hasan living in Frisco, TX. I recently started playing with Raspi and have already 2 RPIs as well as a Pi Rack, 1 Pi Face Digital, 1 Pi Camera and 1 Pi Camera NOiR, my objective is to teach programming and robotics to my 11 year old son. He quickly learned programming in Scratch and enjoyed it, now he will start Python and I'm sure that he'll also enjoy it.

My projects are to build 2 remote controlled truck/car with Lego pieces and take pictures and videos with the RPi devices, as well as combining RPI with Arduino on some specific projects. And I'm sure that this forum is a great place to share experiences.

Regards,

Sheila

Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:33 pm

Hello,

I originally trained as an electronics engineer in the days when surface mount was just coming in, and a computer programmer when C was still the latest language. I worked for a few years in industry, mostly in electronics. However have done other things for the past few years.

I'm now playing with a Pi to update my programming skills and remind myself how electronics works. But having a lot of learning to do to understand things like transfer protocols for USB, how MP3's are encoded and such like. These things weren't even in development when I did my courses.

So looks like I'll be needing a little help with a few things.

big_bum

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:30 am

This sounds like an AA meeting, but here it goes:

Hello, my name is Cristi, and I got my first RaspberryPi yesterday. :D
I am very pasionate about everything that involves technology. I bought the Pi from a friend and I'm very happy with it. Right now it runs a web server and it doesn't have any hiccups altough it has only one little ARM CPU.

LE: You can find the website on my profile.

dobbington

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:42 am

Hi, nice to be here.

Quinny

Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:14 am

Hi!
I'm Quinn,
I got my pi for Christmas as a (requested) gift.
My parents are not what you would call 'Technical' but out of the odds, i'm interested in Engineering and computers.
I use my pi as a experimental machine to see how linux and the machine work.
hopefully I could make a few friends here!

steveo40

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:45 am

Hello, my name is Steve and I'm an actuary from the UK. I do a lot of programming in my day job, but quite fancied a go at some electronics projects, hence the purchase of the Pi. I have a couple of young children, so don't get a lot of spare time to muck about with it though.

Mrbcsimpson

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:48 pm

Hey, I'm Ben from Lincs, UK and I have a keen interest in building, programming (just started out), breaking and fixing computers. Due to this I currently work for an IT Solutions company who support local and international businesses where I get paid to.. build, program, break and fix computers.

I currently have 2x model B Pi's:
- One runs OpenELEC XBMC, connects via HDMI to the TV which streams films and TV episodes from my NAS. This is powered via the TV's USB port and is controlled by my iPad mini or iPhone, depending which is closest.
- T'other is running Raspbian and motion as a motion sensitive CCTV camera with a wide angled lens. I am current building prototype housing for this and looking at suitable power sources (having recently purchased a few 3 metre micro USB cables that can't supply the power over distance).

I'm looking to connect a Flirc soon to the first Pi to program my remote to take the place of the iDevices and may look into temperature sensors for the CCTV at a later date.

WhiteBear

Re: Need your help to save the Spirit Bear

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:20 am

Hello. My name is Lisa and I am working with the Spirit Bear Research Foundation in British Columbia, Canada. There is a very rare white bear, the Kermode or Spirit Bear, whose numbers are now as low as 200. What we need is a camera which can relay to a satellite to then send live stream images to our base. We understand that the London Zoological Society is using a Raspberry Pi to do this in Kenya. Our location for the camera is on a remote island. We were hoping one of you who has a lot of knowledge of how to use the Pi for streaming could possibly help us? We are willing to pay for your services if we can get what we require. Please email at: Lopeoverlisa@aol.com if you want to help us save this bear from extinction.

jerseypi

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:21 am

I am awaiting my first Raspberry Pi from Amazon to arrive. I played around with Linux a few years back and my daily workhorse is a Macbook Pro but am feeling the itch to build a family web server on the Raspberry Pi.

swooboo

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:54 am

Hello, my name is Sergey. I am a Computer Science student, and a web developer.
Still don't have a Raspberry Pi, so I am a wannabe Raspberry Pi owner. :D

rpiforfun

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi, my name is Scott and I'm an noob to DIY/robotics/RPi. I'm actually hoping to learn lots of interesting stuff about robotics!

Stephen_Spence

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi,

My name is Stephen, I am a programming beginner who has just got a Pi, mostly for fun! I am interested in computers, both for work and play. I split my daily computing between an iPad and an iMac and am a recent linux user. I'm going to use the Pi to learn programming (python first) and maybe build a few games, from there, who knows!

S

darkenvy

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:27 pm

Hello,
I'm darkenvy. I have a problem with computers and have to buy them on craigslist and such to fix them up. Fortunately I always make SOME profit but I can't stop fiddling with new toys :P. I couldn't pass the Pi up! haha

My current project is to setup the pi as a VPN tunnel but am having problems. It seems that all the guides are for using Hamachi and not VPNs provided by work environments

Griever

Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:39 am

Hello,
I received a Pi for Christmas and I've been playing with it ever since. I'm currently looking into setting it up as a git server where I can toss my projects and keep mirrors of others'.

I'm also posting this to see if my original post in another part of the forum was deleted/rejected, since it's been over 8 hours since I attempted to post it. Hopefully I don't have to type it out again. If so, I'll just move my question over to another forum.

EDIT: Woke up this morning and my first post, the thread I tried to create yesterday, was there. Thank you.

jruggiero

Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:00 pm

I'm John. I currently own three Pis and am breathlessly awaiting tomorrow's arrival of my new 2.8 inch LCD touchscreen tomorrow. These things should never arrive on a day I have to work the next day. The boss get bothered by snoring at my desk for some reason.

My first project with the Pi was a captive portal-based web site used to sign in people for meetings. I used a Pi running dnsmasq, hostap, apache2, PHP 5, and MySQL. It's a headless server, so the user just plugs it in and waits a few minutes for it to boot up. Then people can just walk into the room, connect to the wifi network and, since it's a captive portal, go to almost any web site and they will be presented with the sign-in system. It is, of course, mobile enabled. For the Luddites, I bring an old laptop to the meetings. Now I don't have to decipher their chicken scratch handwriting :) Best of all, it cost a whopping $66- for the hardware :lol:

Send me a message if you would like more information on it.

plapczynski

Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:06 am

Hello,

I'm Paul from Southern Ohio. I should have my Pi in the morning.

I have a degree in Computer Science from 1996. We did C and C++ programming there, along with other computer related fields. I haven't programed since then. I was pretty good at it when I was in school and am hoping to hone those skills again.

Paul

Return to “General discussion”