hitech444

Re: Introduce yourself!

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi,
I'm John from Athens, Greece. Love all the embedded systems, especially those who run Linux (hint,hint...). So along with RPi I own a couple of CubieBoards, a BeagleBone Black, a bunch of Teensy(s) and almost all of the official Arduinos. Quit a freak huh? Well, can't help it....
I'm stunned with the capabilities of the new processors day-by-day and the big repertoir of instructions they fit into them.
Anyway, nice to meet you all guys and gals!!!

vNa5h

Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:45 am

Hey guys

Nic

Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:42 am

I'm Nic, and a week ago I had never heard of Raspberry Pi. Someone at work mentioned it one day, I read a little about it, and found out someone else at work already had one. I borrowed it one night and the next night I ordered two.

Very little relevant Linux background but am capable of learning.

Thanks!

Nic

krishnandusarkar

Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:43 pm

Hello, My name is Krishnandu Sarkar from Kolkata, India.

Just got my Pi yesterday from Ebay :D

So thought of registering here, to myself updated and discuss with similar minded techies out here :D

matthewrpenny

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:10 pm

Hello all,

my name is Matt, I'm 35 and live in sunny north wales, married with 2 kids (third on way)

I'm a bit of a geek, love to take things apart.... sometimes they go back together!!

Motorsport nut, (have a degree in motorsport engineering) and work for a company that manufactures posh (expensive) brake disks for F1 and others!!!

Don't actually have a Pi at moment but my wife has promised me that there will be one waiting for me on my birthday later this week!!!

That will do for now, before I bore you all too much!

look forward to sharing ideas, and by sharing I mean me asking silly questions!

Speak soon

cybertron

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:48 pm

Hello everyone, I'm Portuguese, my name is Jaime, I am 15 years old and I hope to learn a lot with this forum :)

zx81

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:39 pm

Hi all

My name is Jonathan i'm from Yorkshire
I have just purchased a raspberry pi and am looking forward to making it do things and also tinkering with the programming

The last time i had a real bash at programming was when i was in my teens with a sinclair zx spectrum..Peek and poke and the rest of it ;)

Bye for now...

majorebola

Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:04 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm here to discover the power of the Raspi with serial communication, to convert old (and expensive) techs with this new and cheap solution.

One to rule them all. :twisted:
No, I think I'll just play with theese nice buddies!

See ya on the forum!

DeanC

Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:40 pm

Hey,

My name is Dean... I live in Vancouver, Canada.

I recently stumbled across this thing called 'Raspberry Pi'. I was blown away with every aspect of this product. Especially the purpose/reasoning behind producing such device.

I got into computer programming was I was 13. My father bought an IBM XT computer from one of my friends parents for the purpose of playing video games (some driving games and a really lame 'winter games' one). In the manual for the IBM there was this little section saying.... 'Make sure not to type this command in:...'. Being a stupid 13 years, I tried the command. Needless to say it erased everything needed to play the games. So I broke the computer which my father paid $100 for in 1987. Not wanting him to know (cause who really likes to get beaten?), I remembered seeing a book in our school library (I really can't remember the name of it). It basically had programming code for little games, but they were written in about 5 different programming languages, so you could get it running no matter what computer you were typing it in on (I used the BASIC code). From reading the code, I was able to decipher what certain statements did, and decided to write my own program. That is how programming inspired me at such a young age.

I think by creating such an affordable computer running Linux for younger kids to learn on will ultimately be the death of Microsoft. Well...one can hope!

TimBacon

Introduce yourself!

Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi,
I'm Tim, new to the pi, which I bought by accident at the Maker Faire in NY last week, thinking that it was a snack. I was a BBC model B user in the early 80s...I suspect that my knowledge of the 6502 instruction set won't help much. First desktop computer: a Commodore PET in a lab at university.
I live in Bermuda, which is exactly as nice as you think it is, but I'm a British ex-pat, married to an American. Somewhere, I have a framed IBM punch card with my login ID on it. I'm THAT old, and having fullfiled the first part of Spock's greeting, I'm waiting to prosper.
Cheers!

gijoesamo

Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi I'm Joe just got the PI ill talk more about myself sometime later :)

suchenwi

Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Hi all,
I'm Richard, a software developer living in Germany, and two day ago I got my Pi. Lovely little thing.
I don't have a precise project in mind yet, just playing around with Raspbian (which comes with my favorite scripting language, Tcl/Tk).
Today I managed headless operation via TightVNC (it helped that my netbook is typically running Lubuntu). But as that seems to disable the Pi's WLAN access, I'm now back to parallel operation (separate keyboards and mouse, shared monitor that can switch between VGA and DVI).
Right now I'm on another steep learning curve.. for instance battling with ExFAT SD cards...
But as a first intermediate result, the Pi is the loveliest computer I ever owned (and that started with a Schneider Joyce in 1986) or used (that was an IBM 1130 in 1977. Fortran on punch cards ;^)

Hay Ewe

Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:58 am

Hi All
I first read about Raspberry Pi on another forum I waste time and sort of understood what it might be, but I didn't know what I could do with it. I am mechanically minded and so the dabble with computers and the like is quite alien.
I was in the newsagents on thursday and saw a magazine all about Raspberry Pi. I didn't buy it but will get it tomorrow - hope they still have a copy!
a while back I had wondered about automating the lights in our house some how. I thought a Raspberry Pi might do that but as I don't know how, it got left on the 'thought about that' clip board.
Seeing the magazine and reading on the net this weekend has made me realise that
a) I need to learn a whole lot of new stuff,
b) automated lights in the house from a touch screen thing is waaaaay over my ability at this stage
c) i thought of combining this project with my 2014 project, an RC boat.

I am intendeding to take two small capacity engines, use a Tacho generator type system to monitor the RPM and then make the Pi make an adjustment to the intake of the slave engine to increase or decrease its speed to match the master engine.

On engine systems that I am familiar with, PWC PT6T series, they use bleed air from the compressor section to modulate the TCU and schedule more fuel. Using small engines, I am thinking about 50cc, I don't think that there is the mass air flow to make this work, hence my thinking that electronics will work and that leads me to here.
I also would like it to be able to monitor fuel level and indicate some how fuel qty and low level alert.

I shall post up a more detailed thread in a more appropriate area when I find that place on this forum.

Thanks
Hay Ewe

fixitsan

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi All
I'm Chris Barron, from West Lothian, Scotland (Near Edinburgh)

An engineer to trade, have been programming in the pic world for many years (assembler and picbasic pro) and am now undertaking a project which is going to be nightmare with a pic and seems to be so easy with a piece of pi that I thought now is the right time to learn another system !

Whatever happens I know it'll be fun and educational !

Chris

PosMan

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:08 pm

Hi all,

I'm Carl and I have been programming in Z80 assembler and Delphi for the past 30 years. Looking forward to programming in Lazarus on the Pi.

DrDominodog51

Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:42 pm

Hi,
I am Ethan, and I bought a Pi to learn how to program C++ and Javascript (Minecraft mods). I heard about Raspberry Pi when I was on the Minecraft Wiki.
If you don't make it, it's your own damn vault. -Land of the Lost poster

quenaz

Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:58 pm

Hi, friends.

My name is Quenaz Eller. :D
I'm Computer Engineer and I have experience in Processing Images and Computer Vision. ;)
I bought a Raspberry Pi on March, 2013 to use it as embedded system. On June, 2013, I bought a RaspCam to use with RPi.
So...now, I and my friend developed a system to identify cars in a moving scene using OpenCV library and C++ Language to final project in the University. It has been a success...and it will be publish a article on IEEE Spektrum until December, 2013. Well...I'm participating on Intel Competition too with the same project.

Follow me on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/ellerbrazil :mrgreen:

See ya! Thanks for all. :geek:

ChuckNorris

Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:44 pm

Umm alrighty. An introduction.

I'm Max, I'm a guy who signed up to ask a burning question on my mind that NOBODY seems to have thought to ask, or at least google search doesn't think they have.
As for anything else about me, feel free to ask in a PM. I'm not one to put up a bunch of info here, sorry.

InezG

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:56 pm

I'm Inez and I work as a Technical Writer in Vancouver, Canada. I heard about the Raspberry Pi in the fall of 2012 and wondered why my online pals were so excited about this thing. I did some research and within a month of hearing about the Pi, I bought one. I haven't done a lot with it yet. I've attempted one project with the GPIO and I bought the camera module and made my first time-lapse video!

I recently bought a second Raspberry Pi for myself but now I am trying to set that one up for my nephew who says he wants to learn how to create video games.

I have a background in computer programming although I haven't done any programming in years. I'm looking forward to getting back into that myself. I'm glad there is so much information out there to help me!

Amooll

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi Every one:

New fan to Raspberry Pi community. Just order the kit today...

With a HS card ... lets c if i am able to install and configure it on my own... :ugeek:

I love this community have read a lot from here.

Thanks All

AMOL

zeyad

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:27 am

hello , i would like to introduce myself , i am a master student in Turkey

fruit

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:08 am

Hey Fellas,
I'm Fruit Wait what? Hmm. No Pi yet, but soon will grab one :D

Ahmadian

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:16 pm

Hi
I'm Ahmad and like to make some embedded controllers with RPi / Lazarus.
Lazarus is great with it native run on RPi.

Antares

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:31 am

Hi, I'm a 52 years old electronics technician from Southern Spain, my Pi arrived six months ago but I haven't had the time to play much with it until recently, and I'm loving it. I have had some success in driving a cheap LCD graphic display salvaged from a bargain keychain picture frame and I will post it soon.

MoofishMan

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:42 am

About myself:

I'm a student/geek/procrastinator/creative explosion. I love Pi computers and the word MOOFISH!!!

- moofishman

Return to “General discussion”