alcomys

Re: Introduce yourself!

Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Hello i am alcomys.
what i do in daily base is, i am an electronics repair guy.
i work at a company that produces electronics.
the work i do there is. take care of the quality of the electronics and where needed reparing the new electronics (rework).
im also AOI Programmer/Operator, that stands for Automated Optical Inspection.
in my freetime i spend a lot on computers and linux websites etc.
the reason i have signed up for this forum is that i want to learn more about the raspberry PI.
i own 2 of them now.

Regards Alcomys

fred bloggs

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:55 am

Hi all

Im an electrical/electronics engineer with 30 plus years experience, but Im a complete novice with regard to modern programming and software (except for using windows and general pc stuff).
I have just ordered a Pi to try and encorage my 14 year old Autistic son who is mad about minecraft and lego (and nothing else!!!!!! which is a typical trait of children with high functioning autisim) to learn/design things to broaden his horizons, which I thought could be based around a Pi and a bit of hardware and lego and minecraft.
Wish me/us luck as he is mute at school but will speak at home , the school is a special school for children with learning difficultes but even they find him difficult to engage so I/we are trying do do things at home that he can submit for exams and course work i.e. using a Pi .
I/we have several ideas for projects, which I think we will need a bit of help with, but first we await the Pi so dad & son can play :D

Many thanks

Fred

philbob

Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:13 pm

Hi everybody

PhilBob
http://bidulic.free.fr

danielflippance

Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I learned to program in basic and assembler on a ZX81 back in the mid '80s and have programmed for many years in an enterprise environment. Have been playing around with the Pi for a about a week now and am loving getting back to working with a tiny computer again. I'm based in Vancouver, Canada.

Daniel

brianljnr

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi All, Hope I can be of help to all of you

gvelayo

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:17 am

Hi all,

My name is Gerald. I recently bought a Raspberry Pi and thought of going into the world of Linux. I am glad to be a member of this forum.
I love cycling

qt3.14

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:31 am

Hello everyone. My name is Sarah and I'm learning a lot about electronics and the raspberry pi. I took an electricity and magnetism class in community college, and now I'm trying to apply what I learned in that class to a hobby.
I'm working on my first project right now, which is going to be an alarm clock. I hope to expand this project to a really cool alarm clock with advanced features someday.

I'm a junior studying undergraduate math as a transfer student at UCLA (I start in two weeks!)
I'm looking forward to studying for the Putnam exam for the first time.
Besides studying math, I also love all kinds of crafty things like sewing and knitting.

pirmin

Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:52 am

finally learned about the Raspberry Pi and I think, I like it. Basically because it's running our Open Source ERP IntarS out of the box. And it's got this huge RAM, 1000 times of what I was happy with in the Atari ST days. Which was already an enormous leap compared to my 1983 C-64 on which I programmed a commercial solution for the molding branch. The next stations where several x88, {1,2,3,4,5}x86, AS/400, MVS Mainframe Assembler, NeXT Station, G3, G4, HP Gecko, IBM Risc. 1996 working for SAP was my last year as an employee. After some freelancing we started our own ERP solution IntarS in 1999 on OPENSTEP, then WebObjects, from 2004 GNUstep.

Pyrox

Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:26 am

Hello everyone! I am Loris, I am 22 from Italy. I have wanted to get a Raspberry since it came out in its first version. Finally I ordered it a few days ago and now I have it in my hands :D I mean to use it mostly as a retrogaming console and mediacenter and by what I have seen so far it works very well and I am so happy with it. It's amazing how many different ways there are to use this machine. Probably mine isn't the most "productive" one, but I have always dreamt to have a retrogaming console in the living room to relax playing some good old games and the Pi looks perfect for this. Well, I hope I haven't bored you too much and again greetings to you all!

Darrenr75

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:22 am

I'm Darren, from Fareham in the UK, and am a proud father of 3 and lucky husband to Di.

At 37 I am old enough that getting two BBC micros to talk to each other from different parts of senior school was a major event!

I have owned all sorts of computers and have always been interested in the programming side of things, learnt a bit of COBOL and Pascal but didn't really go any further with it. These days I work in sales in cloud computing, but have always retained interest in fiddling around with technology.

I look forward to finding different uses for my Pi, which is currently a NAS and being accessed on my iPad as I don't have a usb keyboard!

Cheers
Darren

bnrusso

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi,
My name is Bruno Russo. Originally from Chicago, IL., now with my wife of 44 years in a small town called Kingman AZ USA, about 2 hours from LasVegas, NV.
I'm a retired Motorola Process Engineer. I left Motorola in 2000 after 27 years and helped my sister set up her incometax business. All my children, 3, are on their own with their own families.
I've been involved with computers since the 70's. I built a version of the Motorola MC6809 RadioShack Color computer designed by Andrew Veronis of Reston College Virginia from a kit. I've worked with most computers and OS's, from Atari to Zilog. All versions of Microsoft too, from MS-Dos to system-8. Other hobbies like fishing, boating, motorcycles, RC airplanes, music when I get beyond the honey do's.
Newegg.com was offering one of these Pi's with free shipping for under $60 US so I decided I'd like to see how it works. Appreciate the forum and website as it will be my reference for getting started.
Probably won't post again 'till I receive my Pi in a week or so.

BNRusso@Yahoo.com
I've got more time than money,.......... I hope.

trx1138

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:02 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm Paul from Korea the far east country.

I've been playing with arduino for months and trying to expand my hobby a bit.
So I got my Pi after some research and few days later, now I'm here. :)

pacosal

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:45 am

Hi there,

I'm pacosal and I have one R_PI all they working for me.

I think that the low power of R_PI is perfect for having switch on 24 hours and I have a project for you!

Regards,

pacosal

Iloveamanda12

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:52 pm

I'm Justin... I'm new to this whole thing entirely. I'm a lead guitarist and shortly going to college for IT.

I just recently decided I was going to make a retro system out of an old NES.

fall0utX

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi, I'm Gerald and am pretty much a Linux newbie and have recently bought a couple of Raspberry Pi's to play around with. I'm not into programming but am more interested in low cost viable desktop/home user solutions.

shiree1

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:47 am

Hi all, I'm Nick the noob.
Been a windows user for a long time but trying to learn linux for a decent multimedia experience.

powertieke

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:31 am

Hi, I'm Thie,

Mostly a classically trained graphics/prepress guy. I have some experience in IT/Systems administration on Windows, Mac OS (Classic and OSX, where has the time gone) and linux.

Self taught programmer (Perl, PHP, Python) and looking to get more into this. The Pi has really re-ignited this obsession.

A project that I am currenty working on: A video wall using only Pi's (Right now for a tradeshow stand for my employer). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn2c5kd ... r_embedded

I'm hoping to be able to share my experiences, and pick up some new skills as we go along.

zab307

Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:30 am

Hi, I am Zayd from Durban, South Africa. I am electronic engineering student and have been working with the Pi in my project.

todbanner

Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:50 am

abishur wrote:Quote from AmyS3 on August 4, 2011, 14:03

i can still remember the compuserve logo and the beeping noise from the analog modem :-)

I actually have that analog modem sound as a ringtone (I had to make it) I use it to identify my tech savvy friends.
That's fantastic! I love it.

Karyn451

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:37 pm

Hi, I'm Karyn.

My first introduction to computers was a "mini" in 1975... No, it wasn't at all mini by todays standards!!

I went through the usual route of Z80 machines to X86 and eventually windowz learning Forth, Fortran, Pascal, Cobol etc along the way. (Most of which I've totally forgotten and don't want to re-vist)

I'm really struggling getting to grips with Linux based machines and I feel like a total noob when I can't even rename a file from a command prompt... :oops:

Calvin Cycle

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:13 am

Hi I am a husband, father of three and a teacher but still hope to find some time to play with my new toy. Haven't tried any programming since writing text adventures in BASIC on my BBC Micro as a child but looking forward to trying to get my head round this with my eldest son and getting some flims and games emulation working on the TV. I have wanted to get into Linux for a long while and have tinkered with many things (GP32, GP2X, Android etc.) over the years. Be prepared for seemingly obvious questions aplenty.

CC

Stainless

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi, I'm known as Stainless (long story)

I'm 50 and have been coding since I was 12, yes I am really tired now.

I started out writing games for companies like Mastertronics, Digital Integration, Gremlin Graphics, etc then got involved with the multi-system, which bankrupt me.

Designed mobiles phones, hacked games for a living, written operating systems, done some seriously weird stuff.

Now I'm working for a company called Antix Labs porting games to their game player.

Bought a Pi a few days ago with a plan to port the game player to it. One of the guys in the office had the same idea and we've managed to spend a few hours on it.
So far it's going well. Several of the games that use Opengl 1 are running though with some issues.

When we get it running properly, all the games that run on the game player will run on the Pi.

So it will bring games like Plants vs Zombies, and Lego Batman 2 onto the Pi.

Will start a thread with some screen shots when I get two seconds to rub together.

jalvsmith

Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:02 am

Hello, my name is Joey Smith. I live just outside Atlanta, GA, US. I just got my Raspberry Pi yesterday. I've played with Linux the last few years and I'm looking forward to using this as my tool to really learn Linux. I would like to learn to build a Linux box from scratch.

I'm also looking forward to learning to program and create some embedded projects.

I plan on getting my son (13) and daughter (8) their own RasPi's for Christmas. My daughter is very mathematically inclined and has a big desire to be able to create anything to sell as a business. (Poor girl couldn't understand why no one would stop by the end of the driveway for "Story-time with Valarie" when she was 6. She had a blanket, pillows and books spread out at the end of the driveway.)

My son loves MineCraft and wants to build his own servers to host. I've seen that others have done so with their RasPi.

Anyway, looking forward to learning.

Joey Smith

aussiedean

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:12 am

Hi I'm Dean from "Aussie"

I've been involved with computers probably since the DOS days but must admit I've not had much to do with Linux systems. Worked briefly in the Puter industry but work in the Aviation industry now and hope to retire in 10 years or sooner ....bring it on I say.

Anyway loving the Pi ....have mine setup as a media player and blown away by the size and capability of this device. Must say I have no idea with coding with the Pi but willing to learn in the coming years. :D

Cheers ... Dean

owene

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi,

Feri from Romania; not an expert at all, trying to use the RPi for the heart of an AX.25 L2 switch. Lots to do, already ran into troubles: SD-card connector not keeping SD-card connected at some pin, and Raspbian boots into a kind of Read Only SD-card mode, so no dmesg written. Workaround is that I move the card up-down and I found a stable position where all works.
I'm preparing now a RS232 connection to cature boot log into putty log. It's offtopic to discuss it here, just that I'm real person with real problems :-)

Cheers!

Return to “General discussion”