shugs81

Re: Introduce yourself!

Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:20 am

Hi peeps,

Steve here.... learning 3d and digital art and animation.... don't have a pi yet but already have about 20 different projects almost planned ( well... ideas really) so expect lots of questions.... planning to get one of these xbmc kits to start with to replace my roku to start with... then I want to upgrade my dynatron by replacing the tap deck with a music server / digital/internet radio, want to build a low power render farm for my 3d stuff... and the all important emu box!

I.'ve been looking at these super computer builds for simulations and what not so hoping I might be able to learn about it...

I do electronicy stuff (used to build guitar pedals) used Linux winblows and Mac stuff.... suck ass at programming so hope to learn!
babble babble.... Will stop rambling and will start the harassment on the forums! :D

Fairlight

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:20 pm

Hello All,

My very first computer was a 48K ZX Spectrum which I bought in the early 80's and my username is a reference to one of my favourite 8-Bit videogames of that era. I have been a hobbyist coder for most of my adult life and my main interest in the Raspberry Pi is in using it to learn ARM assembly language programming. In the past I have programmed in Java and more recently have been using C# + XNA.

Thanks for reading.

soursop

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:33 am

Hello all this is pawan kalyan from India in search of me.

Torched_

Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:00 pm

No better place to start than by saying "Hi!", right?
I am Torched_, although you may know me as Chaolin112. I'm 14 years old, I have a passion for music and technology, and uh, I play games. That's me in a nutshell.

As far as my computer knowledge goes... I got my first computer when I was 7 years old, because my grandparents got a new one. It was an IBM Aptiva with a 500 MHz PII processor and a whoppin' 64 MB RAM. I knew that if I managed to screw things up, my dad could fix it for me, so I was always busy trying new things out, exploring the Windows folders and stuff like that. When I got my new computer, (which had internet) I started looking things up because I wanted to know exactly how stuff worked. I had my own computer site for about a year when I decided it took too much time and shut it down.
When I heard about the Pi, 2 weeks before my birthday, I was kinda confused what it was. I started looking things up and I knew I wanted to get it. So 2 weeks later I had my Pi, and that was 2012.
Since I have my Pi, I've been getting more and more into Linux, eventually getting to the point where I removed Windows from my main computer and installed Xubuntu on it. When Xubuntu didn't wanna boot anymore, I decided to get Edubuntu. Then I managed to somehow mess my boot up and now I'm using Windows 7 again, although I'm thinking of getting Edubuntu back.

I've been using my Pi mostly for fun projects and things like that. I've used it as a Media Center for a little while, for programming purposes and now I'm using it as my Minecraft server. (Yes, I'm a Minecraftian :D) And after months, I decided to join the Raspberry Pi forum ^^

Whew, what a story. But now you do know a lot about me (or maybe my computers) ^o^

I also could've said "Hi i'm torched im new hear"
Maybe I should've done that... lol
Pi model B, 512 MB Ram
Maybe you'll figure it all out on your way
And realize that it's all still so very far away

AverageGuy

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi, I'm Jim and I've been doing what might be called command and control programming since the early '80s. My first attempt at doing so was using a Vic-20 installed at an Orchard to provide environmental information and control of irrigation and fertilizer injections communicating with a master computer running CP/M. Things have come a long ways and now I'm marrying the RPi and various Arduino pieces.

Jim.

ke6mji

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:59 pm

Hi everyone,
Please let me introduce myself, I’m Steve from California (USA).
Being a complete beginner with my Raspberry Pi and Linux, I took an old FitPc I had, and installed
Debian, the default installation from the DVD Image I downloaded as an experiment.
After about 3 hours, my FitPc was running Linix, Yay! :D
Then on a whim I plugged my Netzero air card into the Usb I am using … and much to my surprise It
Connected immediately and I had internet. So I figured I might have the same luck with the Rpi, nothing.
So my question is, there must be a driver package that is part of the Debien distribution that has drivers
for air cards, does anybody know what this is and how to install that on my Rpi?
I don’t have any kind of a wired network so I would like to use this air card if possible.
Thanks in advance.
Steve

davedamsons

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:00 pm

Hello all

I'm Dave (DaveP) in High Wycombe (between London and Oxford, for those not conversant with UK geogaphy).

I just received my first (probably not last) pi and I'm hoping to try out a range of things on it including programming in Scratch and Python and, hopefully, a bit of hardware control (particularly if I can steal my daughter's Big Trak).

If you'd like a clue to my age and previous experience, my first computer was a Nascom 2, which needed around 5,000 solder joints to put together - for those that have never heard of it, have a look at The Register's article on Chris Shelton.

Best wishes to all pi users.

DaveP

PorterDon

A dinosaur living in Thailand

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi, I'm Don. A true bona fide IT dinosaur. I was in Michigan State University's first Computer Science degree program in 1966 and have done systems stuff ever since. Except until about 2007 when I retired and moved here. Now I have unlimited free time and have been looking for something to get my creative juices flowing again -- then a friend mentioned the Raspberry Pi. That did it, now all I do is research, learn, read, watch everything I can about the Pi. The first project is to try to configure a Pi system which could replace the USTVnow.com service I have paid monthly for. (It streams live TV/cable from the states over the net w/DVR capability -- only for Americans living abroad). About $44/month. I've also done Slingbox which works so-so here, but not IPTV yet. It appears all the pieces exist to create a Pi-based package to do this, if copyrights and other access legalities allow it. Ideas, suggestions and comments welcome!

pupeterni

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:31 am

Hi everybody!

I'm Jimmy and I got my very own Raspberry Pi today as a birthday gift. I've been drooling over it for 6 or so months now and I'm super stoked to finally have one. I've got a few ideas running around in my head but ultimately I think I'll be turning it into a wearable computer.

I chose to run RISC OS on it just to try things out and the zip was the right size for my limited bandwidth. I have to say I'm impressed so far with it.

Anyway. I'll probably be posting some more when I start moving towards project time.

See ya around.

psperry

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:59 am

I just wanted to say Hi and I hope to get to know all you people. I've had my RPI for a few weeks so far and haven't done a lot with it yet but I'm getting ready to. I'm still buying some things to get the show on the road. I already have so mush stuff I'm going to need another pi before I even get started.
Anyway I'll try not to be too much of a pest.

phyhu

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:37 am

Hi,

my name is Kosh. I am a Teacher in Germany and would like to have some fun with the raspi.

Ostrichsak

Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:27 pm

Hello everyone! My name is Jeremy and I'm a Raspberry pi n00b. Hoping to find some good information and then eventually help other n00bs like myself out down the road with the same basic beginner questions that I have now once I get educated. Thanks for this resource and I look forward to my stay here!

Dominicus

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:23 pm

Hello

I`m Dominik, IT student, geek. Exploring embedded and open source projects in free time. I do work in electronic installation industry.
Thank you everyone for creating and supporting Raspberry Pi project, it inspired me to start exploring embedded and electronics.

abqjohn

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:33 am

Hello. I am John. I got my Raspberry Pi in June for Father's day but am just having the time to get it out and start playing. Been in computers since the early 80's (I was even on the team that first introduced micro computers into the schools here) in a lot of different capacities, but this is going to be all new to me. I will be looking for lots of help and it seems like the forums are a friendly place to get it.

Looking forward to all of the questions and answers.

John :)

Bombhead

Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:22 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Tony and I am a complete noob, don't even have a Pi yet but soon, very very soon :lol: Looking forward to getting stuck in, first project likely to be a Media server but also like the idea of web hosting then who knows.........we've often wanted to see what our doggies get upto when we're out so a hosted camera might be on the cards :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know folks and learning some new and exciting things.

ATB

Tony

Chiliman

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:01 am

Hi I'm Sean, but go by Chiliman on the forums because of my fledgling chili spice company.
I am currently employed as a software engineer for a large US based medical software company, and have been programming since 1974. Yeah, I'm ancient...
I saw the Raspberry Pi while checking out controller boards online, and just had to get one. It arrived today, and already I have it up and running. First thing I did was post a great pic on Facebook of the Pi and my screen showing the Google website. Pretty easy setup, and I can't wait to get a better SD card. (currently using one I found in a drawer... hope my kid's baby pics weren't on it :P)
Here is a pic of the Pi sitting on my original Apple ][. Notice that it is about the same size as the logo and the S/N label. It's amazing how far we have come since I purchased the Apple in 1977. (Yes, it's one of the first 500 machines, and yes, it still works. :) )
I am looking forward to using this Raspberry Pi in several different projects... stay tuned for developments!

wiredmc12

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi everyone,
My name is Adam and just started my adventure with RPi. I have experience with C/C++ on x86 platforms, unix systems, some on python, and a little in electronics, now planing to combine them and learn something new in arm/avr area.
Thanks to Raspberry team and greetings to all!!!

greypanda

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Hi, I'm John, aka Greypanda. I have been working on home automation and other gadgetry since the first 6800 chip became readily available around 1975. I have also been a big fan of Linux since 1993 and use it in my real job as well as personal projects.

I am very excited about the Pi. I have struggled for years to find an affordable (read "cheap") platform that has enough power to do real work and doesn't require a second mortgage to buy the "development" kit. The Arduino looked promising, but by the time you bought enough "shields" to do the job, you were already past the 100 buck milepost and still didn't have a reliable device.

Th Raspberry Pi, although perfect for education, is a real solution for lots of problems.

aumolac

Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:48 pm

varunm wrote:
aumolac wrote:My full name is Anton Umolac. I'm student at Faculity of electrical engineering in Zagreb, Croatia. I'm familiar with ARM SOC chips, linux, Android, embedded systems, windows CE and criptography. I know python, C, C++, objective C, BASIC, Visual Basic, lua, assembly, HTML, PHP, ASP, Ajax and SQL.
My addictions are coffee, programming, computers, electronics, web design and a little Pi device (since I've got mine). You can ask me what you want, I'll try my best to find your answer.
I like to share my knowledge, and I like to experiment with anything in electronics.
hey!
I am a final year electronics engineering student.I was planning to make my final year project using raspberry pi.i know c,c++,python,html,mysql. if you could suggest me some topics for the project itll be really helpful.Electronic projects using raspberry pi.
Sorry, but I didn't get email notification about your reply. :/ I'm experimenting with raspberry as CNC controller, maybe that can be useful. You need some electronic for driving stepper motors, script and a program for it (I want it to be all in one solution, I don't want to use computer for cam input). I solved electronic and program interface with stepper motors.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
-A. Einstein-

anson2004

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:06 am

Hello Everyone,

I am Yiqing and my most online name is anson2004. Now I am living in Finland. A part of my current work and study is related to raspberry pi. I am totally impressed with RPI when I first used them. I could build web server, gateway, Sensor network on it. Meanwhile I am very interested in new / edge tech in IT and EE. Also I 'd like to build something working, stable and fancy. Now I am working on camera and image processing using camera board.

Anson

timmil

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:22 pm

Hi everybody,

i´m Tim from Berlin - Germany. We use the PI to detect Motion via 868MHz Sensors and transmit these data via GSM to a central database and we´re very impressed of the device & the community.

Timmi

Mojo88

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:26 pm

Hello just joined the forum , I don't know anything about this pi thing ..infancy I have nt even got one ,where do I buy one with all things I need any help
Thanks

danjiro

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:50 am

Hi,
My name is Danjiro. I am a software engineer in Japan.
I am making a free vector animation software for the raspi.
I would like to give all the children the Animation production environment .

sandeepmanudhane

Re: Introduce yourself! Sandeep Manudhane

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:14 am

Hi! I am Sandeep Manudhane I am From India... here is my brief introduction about me..

* A proud first-gen entrepreneur, with 20 years of experience *

With a top-ranking schooling was from St.Paul's Indore, I won the National Talent scholarship in 1986. After an illustrious B.Tech. from India's No.1 college IIT Delhi, and securing final admission calls from all IIMs, I became an education entrepreneur, braving all ridicule! Professional Tutorials, the proprietary firm started in a garage with zero capital on 10th July 1993, evolved into a pan-India institution PT education. PT was adjudged India's no.1 MBA Test Prep company by the first survey of its kind.

Thank you,
Sandeep Manudhane

pmcdonaldrpi

Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:45 am

Hi all. I am Rpi noob with almost 40 years in computer industry. Was engineer at Apple through the 80's. I have experience with a dozen plus languages - including c, c++, several assembly languages, basics (plus OO), printer languages (and other random crap), windows system admin, system programming, applications programming, device drivers, hardware development (built my first single board 6502 from scratch in 79) Was Apple's liaison/forum rep to compuserve (and elsewhere) for the Apple II community (iirc around 40000 people). I was on various Apple Design teams (wrote 65816 DISKII drivers for the IIgs os and interprocess com in the toolbox) and have been (among other things) a product developer my whole career. Most of my later years in the industry were in private technology consulting for large law firms. I have been out of the business more or less for the last 10 ten years but several projects (that are to be based on or otherwise exploiting rpis) have precipitated my return to the tech world. I was first exposed to UNIX in the 80s, but did little with it over the years - tiny web application maintenance and application interface to unix back-end systems - so I know almost nothing here. I understand conceptually enough to understand most anything one might tell me but I do lack a properly (or even reasonably) complete mental model of linux and raspbian and pi in general, so please keep this in mind when communicating with me. :-)

Return to “General discussion”