ajithrit

Re: Introduce yourself!

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:02 pm

Hello I am Ajith from India. working as a software Engineer at BOSCH in Vehicle infotainment Domain. Nice to see you all..
Happy Raspberry Pi Dayss... :)

alanpullen

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi,

My name is Alan and I currently have two model B Pi's (with 256MB RAM) and a RPi Camera Board. One Pi is used as a print server so I can print from my iPad (much much cheaper than the comerically available devices).

The other one is likely to be used as a control centre for a model railway when I eventually get time to build it!

raja.afiq

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:30 am

Hello..
I Raja Afiq from Malaysia, now i study computer engineering. I really want to a new thing with this pi. I think i want to try make a connection between dsPIC33F to this pi for some purpose.

gaddis84

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:54 pm

Hi, I'm Mark. I've managed , after a couple of weeks, to get the pi working as a print server, and as an MP3 player. I would like to use it as a video player, but, being new to all the underlying code, no matter what I try or change in the config.txt file, I get lovely clear sound, but no pictures. I am using omxplayer with tboplayer. I will search the forums for any advice. I am interested in what the pi can do from an AV standpoint. I work in a school and would love the children to have access to this great little device, but the powers that be went with iPads, which have their place, but they could have bought 15 Pis for the price of one of those. Looking forward to exchanging ideas, and getting some help!

Sebastiaan

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:24 am

Hi all,
My name is Seb from Australia and I've just finished (well sort of) my first Pi project. A humble Mail server (based on the guides here: www.linode.com ).
So far my pi is running:

Postfix SMTP server
Dovecot SSL IMAP server
MysQL server
Roundcube 0.7.2 Webmail
D-Push for pushing email to my iphone* haven't got this working yet :/
Webmin admin portal

Todo:
Samba File share - can't get this to work at all :( - seems I'm not the only one! anyone have any hints?
DNSMasq so my Pi can be an internal DNS ( so i don't need to mess with hosts files on each client )

Other than that, it's a headless server that uses next to no power and is solid as a rock!

Cheers, Seb

Modularis

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:50 pm

Hello

my name is Mathias, my passion is Modularis a microcontroller Tool set for automation and measurement tasks for rapid prototyping. The idea came during my studies in the year 2005: I realized that developing, designing, searching for parts and soldering needs a lot of time - although the basic idea is actually simple. So why not developing standard modules which can be easily plugged to a distributed system for performing any task for systems with a digital communication bandwith of 10kHz and make the work worthy for anybody else as a set of modules?!

I really appreciate Raspberry Pi, because it enables so many signal processing degrees of freedom for a low price to everybody. For pushing it forward I've developed a powerful communication interface for the Raspberry Pi, the MOD-Berry.

For more informations please visit also the site www.startnext.de/en/mod-berry
where a video shows the possibilites we could achieve together.

I'm looking forward to discussions about the project, the features (which can be modified/enhanced) and hopefully also about the question what is modularity? Is it just plugging things together or is it the optimum of breaking controll loops into hardware which can be versatile reconfigured. A quite tricky question if you bring also economical aspects into the discussion - believe me ;)

With kind regards
Mathias Bachmayer

wildbill001

Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:54 am

Greetings from Texas. Fort Worth to be more precise. Name is Bill but my online persona is wildbill001 (if I had given it some thought I might have chosen wildbill007).

Anyway, I JUST RECEIVED MY Pi! I'm real excited and am busily downloading the necessary bits to build my SD and boot it up.

Bill W

NuxNik

Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:36 pm

Hello.

I'm new to Raspberry Pi and Linux.
I have installed Lubuntu on an old box as a learning tool in parallel with my raspberry pi

First 2 projects are toset up
1) a small mail server for (home) lan and a couple or remote users who will either use a mail client or browser for access
2) a small web server to put show some software I want to make known

I have a static IP and a domain name
Working on how to connect the router to the internet
(lots of learning and reading to do.
Need to learn about mail servers and how to hook them up safely to the internet and web server.

Suggestions and references to how-to sites are welcome.

Mustang

Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Hello,

My name is Tom and I'm in Seattle, Washington, USA. For the past year I'd been fiddling with Arduino and completed a few projects, and found the Pi an interesting enough idea that I had to get one. I don't have an immediate application in mind yet, but I'm sure as I learn more, applications will come to light.

My oldest son is about to turn 7, and I'll get him started on Scratch. I think he'll like it!

Regards,
Tom

Proctor3284

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:52 am

Hi there,

My name is Mick, going by the user name of proctor3284. Been into computers since the BBC, ZX Spectrum and Atari St. Originally from London, but now living in the north east. First computer owned was an Atari 520 STFM for Cubase and Pro24. Have tried some programming in my youth, but nothing more for a long time. Bought the Pi early 2012 and love it. Have tried a few projects with the pi that I have found in various books.

Quite new to the whole Linux game. Currently using RiscOS, Debian, as well as XBMC on the pi.

Love the forum, would like to say a big thank you to those who have helped me with various problems related to the pi in the past (you know who you are).

aumolac

Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:12 am

My full name is Anton Umolac. I'm student at Faculity of electrical engineering in Zagreb, Croatia. I'm familiar with ARM SOC chips, linux, Android, embedded systems, windows CE and criptography. I know python, C, C++, objective C, BASIC, Visual Basic, lua, assembly, HTML, PHP, ASP, Ajax and SQL.
My addictions are coffee, programming, computers, electronics, web design and a little Pi device (since I've got mine). You can ask me what you want, I'll try my best to find your answer.
I like to share my knowledge, and I like to experiment with anything in electronics.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
-A. Einstein-

varunm

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:13 pm

hey!
I am a final year electronics engineering student.I was planning to make my final year project using raspberry pi.i know c,c++,python,html,mysql. if you could suggest me some topics for the project itll be really helpful.Electronic projects using raspberry pi.

solar3000

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:19 pm

aumolac wrote:My full name is Anton Umolac. I'm student at Faculity of electrical engineering in Zagreb, Croatia. I'm familiar with ARM SOC chips, linux, Android, embedded systems, windows CE and criptography. I know python, C, C++, objective C, BASIC, Visual Basic, lua, assembly, HTML, PHP, ASP, Ajax and SQL.
My addictions are coffee, programming, computers, electronics, web design and a little Pi device (since I've got mine). You can ask me what you want, I'll try my best to find your answer.
I like to share my knowledge, and I like to experiment with anything in electronics.
What are the winning lottery numbers?
Antikythera

bgohsman

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Greetings!

I just received my Raspberry Pi model b. So it seemed time to register on the forum and introduce myself. By trade, I am a web/interactive designer/developer. I spent two years in robotics in college before changing my major to visual communications. And I've been into computers my entire life. I enjoy mixing graphic design and technology. When I'm not working/playing with computers/electronics, I enjoy working on cars, drawing and conversation with friends and colleagues.

Looking forward to getting my hands dirty with my new Pi.

Ziagl

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:51 am

Hi,
my name is Werner Ziegelwanger and I own a blog http://developer-blog.net where currently the Raspberry Pi is the main topic. I have 3 Pis in use which all do different things (media center, webserver, retro gaming console). If you are interested, please visit my blog and get informative articles about your Pi!

Greetings from Austria

F1carbon

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:54 am

Hi, I am Terry, 36 years old and currently working for Airbus in Toulouse on the A380. My home is in Telford in the UK with my wife and two kids, I don't get to see them often enough. My hobbies are modifying cars, of which I own a Nissan Skyline. I have too much time on my hands whilst not working, so my Father in his infinite wisdom thinks I should have a play with a Raspberry Pi.

Naturally I thought of integrated the Pi into my car somehow. I currently have an IPad mini installed in my car and would like to interface the Pi with it to display boost, oil temp, water temp etc. anyone think this can be achieved?

varunm

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:59 pm

aumolac wrote:My full name is Anton Umolac. I'm student at Faculity of electrical engineering in Zagreb, Croatia. I'm familiar with ARM SOC chips, linux, Android, embedded systems, windows CE and criptography. I know python, C, C++, objective C, BASIC, Visual Basic, lua, assembly, HTML, PHP, ASP, Ajax and SQL.
hey!
I am a final year electronics engineering student.I was planning to make my final year project using raspberry pi.i know c,c++,python,html,mysql. if you could suggest me some topics for the project itll be really helpful.Electronic projects using raspberry pi.

cailtin

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:39 pm

hi:

I am Cailtin, I live in USA (mass), I am originally from Madrid (the one in Spain) I am a Senior software engineer (starting a new job programming in Java (yes JAVA).

I work also with embedded systems (Microchip, Atmel , NPX) and now raspberry pi.

Hobies: Science (biochemistry, math, computers), dance (if you like paul van dyck, and such I am your girl), travel

So Please let me hear from you

spiralofhope

Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:20 pm

Hey all.

My Raspberry Pi is on its way.

I intend to turn it into a little BitTorrent and downloads box, so I don't have to keep my desktop on all the time.

I have a desktop that's for writing, programming and for World of Warcraft.. but I'd rather just use the Pi and my Pandora so I'm completely silent and low-power.

I suppose I'll end up hooking the Pi to an external hard drive, the prospect of which doesn't make me too happy.. since drives are loud. There are some solutions I have noted somewhere, so I can probably solve that issue.

I'm also interested in getting a Ben NanoNote for when I want just a little bit of portable computing and am willing to sacrifice Pandora's power for even smaller size.

davens

Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Hi
I'm Sam. I have always had an interest in computers but never really had the time or equipment to do much. I like the raspberry pi because it is affordable and the reason it was designed was to help people. I am a big fan of education and believe that computer education is a must in todays tech savvy world. Assume that i can only turn on the computer and get on the internet but i desire to learn to code. this is a big step for me but i'd love to take it. i started saving for a pi last week. i have a 3 month old daughter and a wife. I'm 23 work in a factory making aero grade bolts and i am an ex con hence the reason for wanting to learn a new hobby. nice to meet you all

ecorinnick

Qingdao Ecorin

Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:08 am

Qingdao Ecorin is the short written of Qingdao Ecorin Polyurethane Machinery Limited.

I am NICK, i am happy to be a member of this forum.
Hope to establish new friendship with people from all over the world.

Mossiac

Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi I'm Grant,

I am currently working in supplies for a treatment centre but my passion and career aim is IT support. I have had the RPi for a little while and currently use it to expand my knowledge of Linux. I also would like to dabble in the world of programming but haven't got the time for that at the moment. I had spare PCs that I intended to do this with but theyhad gone to other people and I was getting a bit deflated by this and was getting to the point that I didn't want to expand my knowledge anymore. Then I found the pi and that has relit the flame and my thirst for knowledge grew again and still does.

chaz1022

Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:31 pm

hello everyone!!

my name is mike and I just learned about the Raspberry Pi. I was reading my latest issue of the Army Times and saw a small article about this tiny computer for $25.00. At first I thought it was a misprint but, after reading the article I decided to check out the website. my new pi should arrive in a few days and I can't wait to get it up and running.

i'm a disabled army veteran and currently work in health care, making medical instruments. I have two degrees in computer science and have been dabbling in computers for over 20 years. when i'm not working I enjoy historical reenacting, music, art, sports and computer/xbox gaming.

Hove

Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:14 am

Hi, my name is Andy Baker, but have been known as Hove (short for Hovis) since I was 11 (my parents are from Yorkshire, and my surname is Baker and "it were a long way from't pub back 'ome..." advert was on at the time.

I work in Network Computing, and was looking for a new hobby last Summer (2012), when the RaspberryPi conveniently introduced itself. So far I've built a Turtle, a Home Alarm System, and am (hopefully) about to finish a Quadcopter. Actually, that's not quite true - I've never actually completed any of these projects - I get them 95% complete up to proof of concept stage, and then leave the finishing touches as an exercise for the reader - I'm more interested in how to make the model work (proof of concept) rather than making a fully functional unit to play with.

Cheers,

Hove
www.pistuffing.co.uk - Raspberry Pi and other stuffing!

swanside

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:38 am

Hello.
Im Paul, Got one of these devices to ply around with last month, but been to busy to get around to it, but, now is the time. Cheers
Swanny

Return to “General discussion”