el_parra

Re: Introduce yourself!

Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:38 am

I'm Diego, a computer science and software engineering student. I was attracted to RaspPi since I saw it in news as an early project. A couple of weeks ago, I finally bought one and I don't even know what I want to do with this piece of the technology -the possibilities are huge, even for a person like me without deep knowledge about electronics (hardware never was my strong point).
Receiving my Pi made me feel like a child with a new toy, and I hope I manage to create something with it to make others feel the same.

swisstone

Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi I am Swisstone, - for my day job I am a Tech admin for a large manufacturing company that manufactures commercial refrigeration systems.
I normally spend my day helping people with their day-to-day IT issues, setting up new hardware/servers and creating bespoke solutions in PHP... (Whatever needs doing really!)

This is great as it helps me with my hobby - setting up my raspberry pi and being a geek!
So far I have created various websites using apache/php/MySQL - of interest to the PI would be http://www.rpie.co.uk a bit of a work in progress but hopefully will become a help to others.

I have had my PI running as a web server for normal pages and an "on demand" webcam. I have set up the new Camera to take various time lapse images and make some great short films... I hope to document a tutorial in the near future. I have also setup a motion triggered script to record only when there is some action!
Here is the camera in action...
My next task it to get a battery supply to the pi so I can locate the camera in some more interesting spots!
All my projects will be documented on my website over the coming weeks!
Cheers! 8-)
Tony
Loads of Raspberry Pie for everyone @ http://www.rpie.co.uk

SeedyEvil

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi
I'm Gary and live in Market Weighton, near York.
Learnt of the pi from using xbmc and have since been using one as a media box upstairs. Have recently finished a custom case for my pi and now have a second pi to get messing with.

paulstung

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:59 pm

Hi all, I am eagerly waiting for my PI to arrive it should be here in the AM. Along with the B Rev2, I have ordered a mini 4" lcd screen, designed for rear view cameras in cars. I have got a few ideas brewing 1 is to make it into a arcade type affair, I'm even toying with the idea off water cooling the little fella. I came across these..http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/cus ... ctid=14146 And these, http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/cus ... ctid=14142 , the idea is to cut the divider in two, re thread each end and use 1 half for an inlet and the other for an outlet, the mini block will then join the block with 3mm hose. It won't serve any great purpose, other than looking cool. Updates to follow.

dstuttgen

Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:54 pm

Hello, I'm Dan and live in a small town in northeast Wisconsin.
I am new to the RPi scene and am still mucking about. I have used different Linux distros over the years but am by no means proficient in the CLI. I bought a small backup monitor and micro usb keyboard/track pad combo to use with my pi. Internet through an Edimax usb wifi dongle. I'm on the lookout for an adapter to go from VGA to component so I can use an old monitor I have. So far just having fun setting this up and checking out Make and Instructable for project ideas and such.

Cheers, Dan

MrPresident

Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Hi. I am a geek programmer wanna be but can't because I have to make a living instead. This little geeky gadget will fulfill an empty place in my psych. Not to mention make a sweet media center.

Yes, that's right. Even you can run for President of the United States. See how here: http://2008election.procon.org/view.res ... eID=001566
Everybody wants to go to Heaven but nobody wants to die....

radioonemike

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi all.

'radioonemike' here. Virologist by trade. Computer/Science nerd, experience with Linux and I was a CS major for a time in college. I am interested in tinkering, tweaking and understanding all sorts of technology.

SpacingStardust

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi, I'm kevin o sullivan, just got my Pi today, unable to use it as i don't have the wireless keyboard till tomorrow. I'm hoping to do something with voice commands which i will have to learn.

If anyone can point me in the right way I would be highly greatful

MeMalikOfficial

Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi, I´m new here, i´m 16 years old, i´m from Portugal and I have the Raspberry Pi since yesterday and I still have lots of doubt. I will ork very hard and try to be helpfull to this commumity! :D

jmealey

Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:45 pm

Hello,

My name is John and I joined the forum to better understand what can be done and taught with the
Raspberry PI for my children who are both 10.

I will post my question on the normal discussion board.

John

expaddy

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi,

My name is David and I am involved in the networking field but would like to use a pi to try and relax a bit.
I don't have much of a hobby except IT and the idea of fiddling with a raspberry pi sounds like fun.
If anyone else is in Ireland drop me an IM with any details on meets and greets etc.
I look forward to being part of something that may give us mere mortals something back rather than having to take what is forced upon us by the corporate bullies.

lisaa121

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:47 pm

hi
im lisa...come here often but 1st time for written/personal advice :? .....i currentley have 2 pis...1 downstairs and 1 up both running openelec...1 downstairs is working perfect... other pi today decided not to start up today after a reeboot...the openelec logo comes on screen but doesnt fully boot ...error of input/output error .could not mount dev/system 146.215108 system halted.......i tried cleanining and reformatting sd and loading it again with the openelec 3.06 as is on my other pi ...still same message :x .....taken the other sd card out of my other pi but it wont even register but never has for some reason ..and never wanted to fiddle about with them as 1 worked on one and other worked on other :D ...does anyone have any ideas about it??is it possible its a card error or a pi error im having...i dont really know what to do im unsure whether to buy another card or am i wasting my money as my pi may be broken now ???...both were just working off my remote until this morning :( so if anyone can give me a bit of advice i would be very gratefull ...i know how to do the basics regarding the pi...but i read alot about the workings with the sudos and overclocking but havent got a clue there haha
thanks lisa x

tnadolecki

Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Hello all. I'm Tom.
version B 512
archlinux

cpman

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 am

Hey!
I'm new here, and I joined to figure out whether or not a bank of Raspberry Pi's would be good for building polygenic trees based off of publically avaliable gene sequences, which is a hobby of mine...
I'm considering doing this as a lower cost alternative to a dedicated server.

I would be running this 24/7 and using a program that creates thousands of possible trees and analyzes them to see if they are correct or not. This is a single threaded program and it takes ages to run, so a dedicated bank of Raspberry Pi's should be good at this... I presume...

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give me!

nickwill2803

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:07 am

[quote="ukscone"]
i've been involved with computers, since i was knee high to a grasshopper too many decades ago. i have a softspot for the tandy model 3 and all z80 based british home micros from the 80s especially the Camputers Lynx and the Grundy NewBrain.

Hi Russell,
Hey! I think you're the second person in the world I've ever heard of (apart from me) who had a Camputers Lynx! Great box! Got it to put some programs together for my first born. We went on to have 4 sons, 2 of whom are now in support roles just like Dad! (some people just don't learn!)

1. I was taught COBOL at college and 3 decades later I am still a grumpy, curmudgeonly old git

I learnt COBOL on the job in an IBM RPG/COBOL shop, spent the rest of my working life on IBM mid-range systems, mainly writing in RPG of different flavours.

I'm Nick and live in South Hertfordshire with my wife and a varying number of sons, depends on which way the financial tide is flowing I think!

baudot

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:46 am

I'm Sam. I got into the Pi in the hopes of being able to use it as a poor man's cluster computer. The idea of being able to get a handful of Pis and set up one as the dev server, another as the test server, and a handful more as production servers living behind a load balancer was the dream I came here for. I was looking forward to the ease of maintaining a server farm for light-duty web work where if a computer went bad, you just plugged its drive into a replacement board and carried on.

I've learned in the last few days of mucking with the pi that the current generation isn't made to run Rails at an acceptable speed. But it's a fun little board and I look forward to the generation (soon, I imagine) when its ready to take on those jobs as well as the ones it currently does. I'm dreaming up robotics and home automation tasks for this generation. Once this project has wrapped up, I hope to have more time to play with it and explore. In the meantime, hi, nice to meet you folk.

When not coding, I design & publish board games. My first one, "Lyssan" came out a bit over a year back now. I work with a hardware prototyping crew named "ProtoTank" with offices inside TechShop San Francisco, where we design whatever demos and one-off demonstrations for conventions that folk need made. If you were at AutoDesk University last year for the keynote address, you saw our work: We made the arduino-controlled light-up labcoats that Carl Bass and Schuyler St. Leger demoed during the keynote address. I look forward to using the Pi in projects like that in the future.

James_Pi

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi, my name is James,

I crew on board yachts and currently have a few ideas on how I can 'enjoy' installing new fun features to the boat.

Camera in engine bay
Camera externally (time delayed webcam)
HDD connected to TV
Internet on TV,

Either wired and/or wireless for the above.

I did some computer hardware when I was younger, I just looked at some youtube videos and my mind presented memories of our IBM 286 computer we had in 91-92'.

I hope to get the kit together when home in the UK in July for my milestone birthday 30, hopefully not too old, i just read up more on the Pi in this months Wired magazine so I am confident of the learning curve.

Cheers

James
Assist the environment, Water to Go Instant filtration
www.marineandoutdoorclothing.co.uk
http://tinyurl.com/jwemkf6 WTG

sarconastic

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi there, I'm Woody. I'm a jack of all trades, master of none. i have ten thousand hobbies or so my wife would like everyone to believe. I stumbled across the pi a while back and finally got one a while back to play with. One of my other hobbies is Photography. I have a blog that I write for that.

The guy who built the time lapse rail for his DSLR is the reason I got started with the pi. I am going to duplicate his rail first then add a few things i have been thinking of using the raspberry pi and an arduino Mega with a stepper motor controller.

I seriously need about 40 of these guys to do all the projects I think I need. They are just way too much fun. I used to enjoy electronics benchwork and worked maintenance on CNC / PLC controlled machinery in a factory back in the day and now I am in the IT field. with these I get to utilize both. FUN FUN FUN.

Thanks for makin em.

Woody

courior

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi,

My name is Aaron and im a gadgetoholic :)

Got my Rpi today and couldnt wait to get started, alas i will be posting for help in the general discussion as i think i have a faulty pi :(

Cheers!

Algus

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:04 pm

Hey,

I'm Curtis. Been eyeing the Pi for awhile as a way to fiddle with some different Linux distros. Also hoping it will work fairly well as a basic web browser/video player since I can plug in a better monitor than the one built into my chromebook.

I'll probably be around, asking a lot of stupid questions about Linux distros that won't get answers har har!

chronodekar

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:45 am

Hello!

My name is Abraham V., but I go by the handle 'chronodekar' online. Didn't realize we had an introduction thread until now. I like tinkering around with Linux and figuring out how to customize it for my own needs/amusements.

-chronodekar
PS: Yes, I sign my posts. It's a habit.

geekinthesticks

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:25 am

I am Ian, who sometimes goes by the alias geekinthesticks. I have been tinkering around with computers since the 1980's. I have been through various careers including medical research, IT (networking, databases and accounting software) and have finally returned to farming which is where I started!

I have been using Unix/Linux since 1990, but am by no means an expert. I have been interested in Open Source for around 10 years. Our family runs a variety of different Linux boxes. I am interested in the Pi because it allows easy access to a variety of hardware via GPIO. I have go a couple of Arduinos, but much prefer using Python to C++.

Current Pi projects include weather station, media box running XBMC and an in car media centre using minidlna.

HerroRobbie

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:45 am

Hi Rasp Pi forums,

My name is Robbie and I am trying to learn everything that I can to change and improve this world. I hope to learn a lot and share the knowledge I acquire with others. I worked at a social networking tech that got bought out and eliminated positions. Now, I am on unemployment, tinkering and seeking new employment. I am from Orange County, California. I'm new with anything to do with Rpi. Hope to be able to contribute soon!

teddyJH

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:52 pm

Hi everyone!

My real Name is Jürgen Hörstrup. I'm from Selm-Cappenberg (near Dortmund), Germany.
I'm working as a software developer in the GIS (geographic information system) field and as Administrator.
Just curious to find out about Raspberry Pi as i started my career developing Soft- and Hardware for data logging using
80286 Assembler and Turbo Pascal (long time ago in the last century).
First project planned: a printer server so my dauhger can print her homework on my inkjet printer. ;)

best wishes to all at raspberrypi.org!
Jürgen

Saito

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:32 am

Hi I have just started looking at this tech so I am a ultra newbie. It looks very interesting so i'm hoping to pick up a lot of tips from this forum.

thanks in advance for all the help :D

Return to “General discussion”