svicknesh

Re: Introduce yourself!

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:47 am

A warm hello to the community. I'm Vicknesh from Malaysia and have been using the RaspPi since August. It's a wondrful little gadget with lots of potentials. Thanks to the foundation for creating this device and to the great community :D

SearchMyAim

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:42 pm

Hello Raspberrians,
I'm Alexander from Austria. Got my Raspberry in the middle of last week. I want to use it as a webserver. Cause of the great community here I made already some progress. It's a really nice tool to get used to linux and play with it. I guess I will order a second one and use it as media pc.
At the moment I'm kinda stuck at the problem to use the full 512mb of memory.

Greetings,
Alex
First: as Webserver. http://searchmyaim.no-ip.org/wordpress/
Second: as media center.

appstuff

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:59 pm

Hello!

I am brand new to the Raspberry Pi world. I have been curious about the computer for as long as it has been around, however, I never really pursued my interest in it until very recently. I recently attended the IET event (in the Manchester audience) at Manchester Metropolitan University and about halfway through, decided to get my iPhone out and ordered a Pi there and then.

In some ways, I totally missed the point of the Pi, or, more specifically, thought the point of it wasn't relevant to me (at least not directly.) I am a sixth form tutor. I teach A-Level computing and BTEC Software Development. I thought that whilst the Pi was cool, we were already teaching kids how to program in C/C++, Objective-C, C# and Java. The Pi, whilst cool, wouldn't allow us (so I thought) to do anything new or different. I acknowledged it was a great idea to get kids into programming. But my students already were, so no real point.

I underestimated the incredibly cool, immediately engaging form factor. My students love the Pi. It's a great thing to work with. The ability to have it interface with things like Arduino will be very important to us over the foreseeable future. It's going to be our "next big thing", bringing electronics to a classroom environment where software is usually far and away the king, it'll be great to show students the hardware in a way more engaging way than the typical "a CPU does this, RAM does that..." etc.

Our focus has been on developing iPhone apps with Objective-C and the students have loved it. We've since added Xbox 360 games dev with XNA and C# and we're about to add Unity, since Nintendo's announcement that Wii U will support it (this is on the BTEC, the A-Level computing is unfortunately much older and much more limited... though it is changing) and we'll definitely be looking at adding Pi/Arduino onto the course as well once we have found a balance.

Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute stuff as well as ask a billion questions.

Thanks. :)

Stuart

Steggie

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:50 am

Hello People,

I'm actually sat here killing time while I wait for my Raspi to be delivered. :D

I'm an engineer working with cranes, mostly old school Ward Leonard control systems or Thyristors. In my spare time I have been known to build the odd robot, the clue is in my nick ;) . I would consider myself an enthusiastic beginner in programming, having made the screen change colour on my old ZX Spectrum 20 something years ago, I am now writing (copy and pasting) code in my Arduino to control simple robotic devices. I've come to buy a Raspi after looking for a cheap way to build a NAS device for my backup harddrive, although it seems to be a project I keep adding to :? it now looks more like a HTPC and I haven't got the parts yet. :o

Peter.

Thijxx

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:12 am

Hi all,

My name is Thijs and I primarily use my Raspberry Pi's to take over the world. Obviously.

Currently running are OpenVPN and a TOR Relay server. I will also run a TimeMachine service for the backups of my Macs, CryptoCat for a safer world, maybe a Torrent client and a network intrusion detection application.

I'm looking into game emulators, NAS and HTPC services. Just ordered some extra Pi's to handle all the new projects :)

Cheerio

ACE[Beck]

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:53 pm

Hello,

My name is Andrew and I am from Akron, OH in the US. My middle initials are C.E. hence the name ACE. I've lived in northeast ohio my whole life and graduated from Kent State University with a degree in Computer Information Systems. If I could do it over again I'd probably go into Computer Science. I do have a good job working at a major law firm doing IT support. Most aspects of the job are non-technical, but occasionally we get to do some cool techie stuff. I hope to one day work for myself and possibly have my own business.

My other interests include videogames (PC, ps3, 360), movies, rock & roll music (I play the drums and guitar), and my two dogs, Rosco and Abby. I'm only 27 years old and I've already become mostly jaded with society. Comedy is the one device that makes sense of this cesspool of a world we live in. George Carlin is my biggest inspiration, R.I.P.

I am eager to learn so much from my RPi. A couple of things I'm interested in doing with my RPi are running a website and file server/media center. After only 30 minutes checking out the forum, I've come to realize there are virtually endless possibilities of things to do with the RPi. I can't wait to get involved!

Thanks for reading,
ACE

nduetime

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:53 pm

Hello. I come to this forum in search for very basic answers for what should be very simple questions. I've search online but am pretty green when it comes to anything like this. I just want to be able to use the RPi as a media center. I want to play movies and listen to Internet radio, that's all. I have seen that movies are capable which is great. However, web surfing is slow (for my taste.) Does this mean that playing music through pandora's website will be less than ideal? I know these questions should be pretty evident but I'm new to this type of format. My only other immediate desire for the RPi would be for Internet browsing. Which, in it's current development is lacking (from what I've read, this should not be used as a htpc) but hopefully within time that may change. If anyone would care to comment I'd greatly appreciate it. However, please take t easy on me, I'm still learning.

abishur

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:47 am

nduetime wrote:Hello. I come to this forum in search for very basic answers for what should be very simple questions. I've search online but am pretty green when it comes to anything like this. I just want to be able to use the RPi as a media center. I want to play movies and listen to Internet radio, that's all. I have seen that movies are capable which is great. However, web surfing is slow (for my taste.) Does this mean that playing music through pandora's website will be less than ideal? I know these questions should be pretty evident but I'm new to this type of format. My only other immediate desire for the RPi would be for Internet browsing. Which, in it's current development is lacking (from what I've read, this should not be used as a htpc) but hopefully within time that may change. If anyone would care to comment I'd greatly appreciate it. However, please take t easy on me, I'm still learning.
Welcome to the forums, I would suggest starting a new thread to get deeper answers to your questions. But here are some quick answers:

Media Center: Check out some of the XBMC builds like RaspBMC, OpenELEC, or another one whose name escapes me but a user named Sam works on.
Internet: X (the desktop environment) is not yet accelerated, now that the CPU side graphic bits have been open sourced I expect that to have better development speed
Pandora: Won't play on Linux, requires microsoft proprietary stuff. But there is a bash prompt script called Pianobar which works with pandora and an XBMC plugin
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

flyinghappy

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:48 am

Just got my slice of Pi on Saturday and have to say so far I am impressed. Running my beloved ArchLinux w/ openbox on it and it is a pretty good performer. I'm really excited to see what I can get out of the device! Gonna use it as a media server and possibly more around the house using minidlna and samba. Might even try to get it online to use as a remote file server for myself when I'm traveling.
Pi with ArchLinux running a minidlna/samba home server

Berts_Pi

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:58 pm

Hi I'm Dave.
I bought my first 'pute in 1982, a BBC model B, progressed thru A3000 and A3010, but was put off by Acorns RiscPCs due to an over exuberance to sell PC emulator cards. (DEBI, was it?) So I bought a IBM386 PC instead. Gosh I missed the electronics side. My BBC B wrote eproms and I tinkered a little with LOGO and robotics. It was fun.
So I jumped at the chance to get a raspberry PI. I have always had at least one PC running Gnome or KDE, and have both home laptops presently running Ubuntu/unity. (I know... I prefer LXDE too!)
Running Raspian wheezy on Pi to get familiar with it. Tried Alpha RiscOS when I got it, but was a little disappointed, then recently saw the RC6 release. Wow what a leap forward. It's like a old pair of comfy slippers. 25 years old and able to take on anything the linux world can produce. If you haven't tried it. Do. It's fast and doesn't hog resources like Raspbian does.
Now to have a play with the GPIO. Great stuff chaps.

marklouis1

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:22 am

Thanks.. :)
Wholesale dealer 5.11 tactical products in USA.

davamb

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:26 am

G'day there,

Dave here, professional electronics engineer, mainly doing embedded systems. Been writing assembler (8051) and C for various uChip beasties for a long, long time. Bought a couple of Pis to try and learn something a bit more high-level.
Have many questions so far, so I'll have a squizz through the FAQs and topic search to see if my queries are already covered.
See you around!

Cheers,
Dave.

linux_oldie

Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:46 am

Hi folks - Colin here,

Bought a Raspberry Pi kit today from Maplin in the UK.

Long time, though intermittent, Linux user.

First used Slackware Linux in about 1995 and installed it from ( IIRC ) about 10 floppies on an AMD 486/DX4-100 spare machine I had to gain familiarity as I, at that time, had just taken a network service engineer job and the main O/S used in that position was SCO Unix so I urgently needed to gain that familiarity.

Had only used Windows before that.

Prior to the early 90's I worked for BT for 25 years in electronic repairs, and in the latter years, on microprocessor based systems - mainly 8085 and Z80.

My first home computer, in about 1982, was a Sinclair ZX80.
I was already familiar with the BASIC programming language as I had studied computer engineering for my HNC in about 1973.

In the mid 80's I also wrote raw ( without assembler ) Z80 machine code for use on my ZX80.

In about 1988, a BT work colleague friend and I designed and built a Z80 SBC that we talked to over RS232, we built this in our lunch hours and it was not BT related.
We did though have access to an Eprom programmer / emulator in the electronic repair workshop.

Other computers I owned about that time were:

VIC 20 ( still have it in my loft - heavily modified - I did some 6502 machine code too).
BBC model B ( sold )
ZX81 ( with ZIF socket mounted Eprom routines on the top of the case - still have it somewhere )
Sinclair QL ( scrapped )
Acorn Electron ( sold )

I think the Pi has tremendous possibilities and my BT electronic workshop friend of old and I are in contact re such.
We think on the same wavelength.

These days I do little regarding electronics though - but I wouldn't be averse to experimenting to expand the Pi's potential.

In fact these days, and for the past 9 years as a 61 year old now, I work in an unrelated field in the health service.
( Please let me escape that ).

I can see the potential of the PI, especially when the GPIO port is exploited.

Much of my knowledge is old now and out of date so I need to get my head round the Pi's finer points.

I do though, look after my daughters main PC which is running Ubuntu 10.? desktop on my recommendation - and she loves it.

But me, I'm using XP Pro on my main machine.

Must get my finger out now that the Pi Linux system is so available.

Long first post I know but it reflects my frustration in being outside this field in any working capacity.

Colin

lemar123

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:18 am

Hi RPi Community,
Marcin (Poland) is here :-).

RPi owner from yesterday - and I love it.
Just like to "hack" some kind of devices (like Xtreamer MK and Prodigy).
I'm going to use RPI as HTPC and to pack as many usable software as I can (some kind of addiction I'm afraid) :-). Used to be a C/C++ developer long time ago (over 40 now).

Heavy android user.
I'm working on some kind automation using IOIO board too (IOIO driven quadrocopter :-) - but RPi may kill this project). Limited android development skills, just for fun.

Longbow

Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:58 am

Hi!

gdsmit1

Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:22 pm

Howdy, folks.

I'm located in Maryland, USA. I don't have my Raspberry Pi yet. I ordered 2 but they are backordered, estimated shipping date in November 21, I hope that's right since they are Christmas presents for me from my wife. I got "kits" that included a case, SD card and PS.

I plan on making one of them into a media center so my wife can get some of her shows on TV and I can cut the monthly cable bill. The other will be something that I experiment around with. I think it will eventually become a weather station, but I'm not sure. I will likely use it to practice my Python scripting on it as well.

I'm pretty comfortable with Linux. I've used it for about 10 years. I use it regularly at work and have used it on my home laptop for the past 5 years or so. But I'm no Linux expert, but that's why the forums exist, to help each other.

I'm hoping to have some fun playing around with my Pi when it comes in.

PeterT

Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:22 pm

Hello,

I am Peter. I live my wife in Hampshire, UK.

I am an engineer and have been using computers since 1976. My first experience was a CDC Cyber that understood George 3. My second was a PDP11 that ran RT11 and was booted by toggling in a code on the front panel.

When I started work, I went on to use Apollo and then HP computers running Unix. I bought the original Archimedes for home when it came out. When that market dried up, I went onto Windoze but went onto Linux when the computer needed rebuilding yet again. We have never looked back and we now run a Windoze free house. In practice, all of the computing devices in our house run some kind of linux, even my phone runs debian. Our daughter took a slightly different tack and uses Macs.

I am interested in domestic automation and how to make our houses run more efficiently but suited to our lifestyles. For this I need very low power computers that can be left on permanently - I started with bubba, went onto sheevaplugs and am now trying out the Rpi. I use linux because there are a wealth of resources that I need. We originally thought the Rpi would go behind our TV so that we could watch on-line video without connecting up a netbook. We pre-ordered one each from RS but only one has arrived so far. We have configured it to run Rasbian with a USB wifi dongle to connect it to the network. We have tried it running with the TV but find it easier (and faster?) with vnc.
RPi running Rasbian, SheevaPlug and DreamPlug both running Debian Wheezy, 2 netbooks both running Debian Wheezy with Gnome 3.

krate2000

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi

I'm Kate from Berkshire, UK.

I bought a Raspberry Pi for experimenting with. I'm currently developing an MP3 jukebox, messing around with some LEDs and the GPIO pins and looking forward to Christmas when I'll hopefully be getting the stuff to make my first robot. I've already learned loads from playing with the Pi and every time I come on the forum I see something else to add to the ever growing list of future projects or learn something I didn't know before.

I have set up a blog to share what I learn - [email protected]
My computing blog including Raspberry Pi: http://katescomputingcapers.wordpress.com/

stagefright1989

Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:32 am

Hi,

I am Sarfaraz from New Delhi,India. I graduated last year and am currently employed as a network/unix administrator. I have been following up on linux for about 6 years now and have it grow. I like exploring /getting deeper into tech every now and then especially things revolving around virtualization, embedded systems, networks high performance computing etc. One thing i would really love to do with pi would be to build my own hardware from scratch , write a driver for it and interface it with the pi.

jiminhursley

Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Hello

I'm Jim Geraghty. I retired from IBM two years ago. I wasn't a programmer, and haven't done any programming for decades, apart from the time I was doing a Physics foundation year, when we had to complete a project using Visual BASIC. Before that I have done FORTRAN, assembler language(s), BASIC, little bit of Java, and lots of dabbling in GML, XML, HTML, and reading of PL/I and COBOL.

I felt I had to get a Pi because my grandchildren seemed likely to get one, and I knew I'd be expected to answer any techical queries - because I was "something to do with computers once."

I'm typing this on a Compaq laptop, under Windows. Before that I had many IBM desktop (from the first model onwards) and laptop (from the first models onwards) PCs, and a Sharp laptop (under DOS). Before that I owned a BBC Model B. Throughout my working life I was also a user of IBM mainframes in daily life, mostly through the VM operating system.

I've looked into Linux before, and set up dual boot with Windows twice, but this is my first serious attempt at "dabbling for real" - if that is possible. I've also downloaded RISCOS for Pi, to get a feel for that.

Nice to see a sizeable community already exists. Thanks in advance for any help I get with queries.

Jim

anta40

Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi,

I'm anta40, a Java card (and ocasionally) mobile developer from Indonesia who has a big interest in system programming.
A big fan of Linux, usually for tinkering or reviving old PCs.
I've been wanting to learn ARM assembly programming, and finally I got this ARM device: Raspberry Pi. Hooray! :D

Why I bought the Pi? Because I think it suits my needs, and it's relatively cheap. I know there lots of more powerful computers out there,
but at the moment Pi is adequate for hobyists like me.

At the moment, I only have a few plans to do with the Pi, something like learning OS programming (hint: Baking Pi) or building small web server.

Time to get started, anyway

sjw

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi,

I'm Simon. I've been using Ada since 1983 (when it was standardised), and since I retired I've had more time to devote to FOSS projects. I was glad to see that Raspbian GCC includes the Ada compiler, and had fun writing a support library for I2C on the Pi, and particularly the MCP23017 I/O multiplexer[1].

Any other Ada users out there?

[1] http://raspi-i2c-ada.sourceforge.net/

Wick

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi,
I'm Giacomo from Italy, a 22 yrs-old student and self-taught programmer that loves technology.
I don't speak english very well, so please be understanding!
I'm currently writing a native C++ library to manage the GPIO pins of the Raspberry Pi and connect it to other devices, in order to improve my electronic knowledge. If anybody is interested, take a look at my site.

Regards,
Giacomo
Rpi-hw > http://hackyourmind.org/projects/rpi-hw
Website > http://hackyourmind.org/
Google+ > https://plus.google.com/+GiacomoTrudu

pentiumpc

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:48 am

Hello from Singapore,
element14 just delivered my Pi 30min ago, running apttiude to update the system now.
incredible little system.

colin_120cc

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Hey all, I found this place doing random internet exploration.
I started my tech life with dos and windows 3.1 and taught myself how to first hack a bios PW at 7 as my mother did not want me using the computer (128mb processor, god those were dark and s l o w times)
I have spent the last 20 years being a pirate of modern day, I feel that it was free before consumerism why is it not now? i have never seem with my own eyes internet or phone service so if you cant give me a physical thing, im not paying for it.
My piracy skills come under the category of "out side the box". I do not download music, i record it live from streaming sites, video is taken from sites like youtube and such via a program that records any browser based video straight from the buffer.
I dont know much about programming but i have ideas that can work with the right minds, such as internet data compression pre and post isp to reduce total packet size and in turn reduce bandwidth usage. the beauty is the application starts on the user side and then the person with the server space handles all the back end client traffic but buys service in bulk and can pass the savings to the average joe.
Just to name one idea.

Return to “General discussion”