DavGerm4

Re: Introduce yourself!

Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:24 am

My name is David, and I just ordered my Raspberry Pi!!! So stoked to get it! I'll probably be at my internship in California by then, so I'll have to have my parents send it out to me! I'm a college dropout (for now), and just hanging around!

adamagogobaby

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi, I'm Adam. I've just graduated and am applying to do a Primary PGCE, to eventually become a primary school teacher. I've always been very interested in computers, and the Pi caught my eye a while back as a fun and technical little project to keep me occupied while I have a bit of time on my hands. I'm also pretty sure that computing and even coding is going to have a much greater focus in education in the coming years, so I'd like to get myself ahead of the curve in that respect. You've got to learn these things while you can eh?

So yeah, I got my Pi in the post two days ago, and I've now got a pretty rudimentary setup to practise some python with. I have next to no experience with Linux or programming so I'm pretty pleased with the progress I've made so far. I thought I'd keep a bit of a blog explaining what I've done so far with all the frustration cut out in for any beginners like me who just want to do a quick and basic setup. I reckon without any confusion and excessive googling you could do it within an hour. [color=#0000BF]http://adamagogobaby.wor ... i/[/color]

My ultimate plan is to create a media centre/retro gaming rig that I can keep as a bit of a set top-box swiss army knife. Ambitious? Maybe, but I'm in no rush. :P

duke2k7

Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:07 am

Hey guys!

Complete n00b here, with a love for all things tech, and waiting on delivery of mi pi (see what i did there? lol )

Already got a great idea for my case (thread is in cases section),,,

Cant wait to see what this little box can do!

quick bio

1, Love RUSH and PINK FLOYD
2. Watch and read anything 'gadgety'
3. Love learning new stuff (hence my presence here)

So... Hi!
Fancy free Bitcoin?

Join here: https://www.startminer.com/1715230

ejones

Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:57 pm

Hello I'm Elwyn

New to all of this and have basic knowledge of programming but saw the RPi and thought I would give it a go and so far liking it, even if it's only basic stuff currently!

I grew up in Cambridge so it's still home to me so yes I am a town. I now live in south Essex and work as a craftsman for a well known car company.

So yes expect lots of newbie questions from me

DTP

Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:51 am

I am 10. My dad just bought me a pi. It has a pre loaded sd card. I have plugged in a keyboard and mouse and power. I have plugged a hdmi wire between my pi and tv. The tv says no signal. I have tried to find suggestions on the forum but cannot. Can anyone tell me where to look? :(

lockettpots

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:10 am

Hi!
I'm John and very old (76). After working with a terminal to the mainframe at Birmingham university in the mid 70's (remember punch cards), followed by a filing cabinet sized 'mini' computer with cassette tape input, my first personal computer was a Sinclair ZX80, then a BBC micro followed by a RiscOs Archimedes. Now have a custom PC from Chillblast dual booting Windows XP and Ubuntu.

Just had my RPi and have put Debian squeeze on SD card. I'm running the RPi from a Belkin 7port powered USB hub, display HDMI through Samsung HD TV. Booted up first attempt and startx ran with no problems. Keyboard, mouse and pen drives work through the hub. Connected RPi to network router and accessed the Internet without problems. Just need to sort out the sound now. Great fun. Takes me back to my BBC micro days!

macrutan

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:55 pm

Greetings,
I am Mac Rutan and am very pleased to be experimenting with the ras-pi. I have a background in computer science, and media design. I am interested in developing all sorts of educational and artistic projects with this platform.
I have started the Central Florida Raspberry Pi Users Group as well as the first Raspberry Pi related Vimeo channel. I plan to continue supporting and promoting this project and hope that it reaches it's potential which seems infinite despite it's tiny profile. I am most excited about the potential it has to inspire children to play and work with technology. I am also working with college aged students to see where they'll take it. The Raspbery pi is certainly food for thought! :D

wkulesza

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:46 pm

Hey R-Pi users and fans!
got my first raspberry, wanted to say hello to all fellow enthusiasts.
Back in early 90'tes began my adventure with computers with a simple ZX81, had C64, Amiga, PC and now... Raspberry.
Owning a small company producing software and offering also hardware solutions to passenger transport companies.
Now with the help of raspberry, im hoping to create an affordable digital signage platform solution on the go!

1HzCoder

Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:43 am

Hey Everyone,
Ordered my RPi a week or so ago, hope it comes a little earlier than the 11 week estimate or I will have to wait until I get back from my seasonal job at Amazon after Christmas. Oh well, what is a six month wait for such a neat product.
Built my first computer in '68, 10 punch cards that it sorted . (Yeah, I am that "mature".) If you never have had to program a home built computer with toggle switches, you will never understand why this is such an exceptional product.
Got a few questions I will post on other threads.
Tom Jensen
Einstein once said you don't really understand anything until you can explain it to your Grandmother

Atrix Man

Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:39 pm

DTP wrote:I am 10. My dad just bought me a pi. It has a pre loaded sd card. I have plugged in a keyboard and mouse and power. I have plugged a hdmi wire between my pi and tv. The tv says no signal. I have tried to find suggestions on the forum but cannot. Can anyone tell me where to look? :(
Hi there

Like you I am also new, but I have found when I start my pi sometimes the TV has no signal. Make sure the TV input is set to the HDMI port your Pi is plugged into. Also try unplugging the power supply from the Pi count to 5 and plug it in again.

Hope this helps!

Eiswander

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:09 pm

Hey guys, I'm Eiswander (real name: <unverified>*) and I've just received my Pi, it's been a blast just playing with it, and it has just the right amount of frustration in using it to keep me guessing and interested. I've been looking forward to this unit since I heard about it, as I was a child of the 80's in the UK, and grew up around British computers like the Sinclair ZX Spectrum (my first computer) and the BBC Micro (which I used at school).

This thing is a great device, and it's reawakened an interest in programming I'd left behind when I started university back in '04. I'll be honest, I've not coded in years, and forgotten a lot of my old tricks, but I can't wait to see what I can make on this device, as well as the new tricks I can learn.

Thank you RPi Foundation, for bringing computers, programming and great ideas back to Britain.

*no reliable sources found

joe wraith

Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:22 pm

I am a training Electronic engineering/Computer programmer.
I am also a very strong and proud supporter of raspberry pi and also own one.
I started Electronic/Programming about 3 years ago and just cant stop its the one thing i know i will never stop doing.

Fadein2madness

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:27 pm

New here saying hi! Bought my RPi in april, just got it, wokring on making a car computer. Im super in moding cars and such. So here is what I want to install the RPi into.

go for a whole tron theme with my car, and want to install a touch screen with the RPi.

jehan60188

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:42 pm

Mechanical engineering grad student, checking in.
Going to use my R-Pi for robotics control!

DarkStarPDX

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Hello!

I'm an electronics hobbyist in the heart of the Silicon Forest (just west of Portland, Oregon).

I've been interested in the Raspberry Pi for quite a while (probably over a year) and was finally able to place my order through Element14/Newark. I'm going to be receiving two, one for an XBMC server, and the other for teaching myself programming and for general experimenting.

I've started an Eventbrite page for the Silicon Forest Raspberry Jam which will be a monthly/bi-weekly/whenever informal gathering of Raspberry Pi enthusiasts in the Portland-Metro area. Follow us at @SFRaspberryJam for the latest happenings!
--Chris ^_^

tnoskilz

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi,
I finally received my pre-ordered Pi last weekend. I grabbed it to generally tinker with and have no set goals in mind yet. So far have dropped raspbian on it and worked on tweaking Quake 3 performance. Last night I cut out a cardboard case after realizing I didn't have enough lego blocks handy. Some more elegant case designs and tinkering is in the works...

-Jeremy

numeral

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:44 pm

I'm a geek. I've had my pi for a week or two. Well pleased. I bought a new USB kbd for £2.49(!), a Xenta Black Full Size Keyboard - USB UK Layout. It caused a kernel panic with Squeezy although it works OK on other systems. I found I had another USB kbd any way and used that.

Newbie question. Can the pi be booted from a USB stick as a live disk? This might save getting a SD writer because I could use, say, archlinux to partition the SD and upgrade the OS (now Raspian).

Also, why is the swap partition commented in /etc/fstab in Squeezy?

xr4y

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:41 pm

Hi everyone, I finally recieved mine yesterday and I'm very happy with this little device.

I am a Arch Linux user (home/work) hooked on GNU/Linux, bash and the urge to learn more. Learning C is my next goal!

ratbag

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:46 am

Hi, Rob here, recipient of a Pi yesterday, along with a nice green Pi Crust case.

I'm the chief technologist at a small Swiss proprietary fund, looking after servers running Linux (Debian back to lenny, Centos, Scientific Linux), Solaris, ESXi, MacOS and Windows (one miserable server, needed for the gateway to a German market). I also write software in Ruby and C++ to administer the company and access pricing and trade information in real time. And in my spare time I look after the networks. Before this post, I did 17 years' hard labour for the University of Greenwich, latterly as systems manager.

I got my start in computing with the ZX80 and ZX81 all those years ago and grew up with Spectrums and BBC computers (B, Master, Acorn Archimedes). The Pi has awoken a long-dormant hobbyist side to my nature.

I've no idea what I'm going to do with the little thing yet, but I know it's going to be fun. So far I've put wheezy on it, apt-getted a proper build of git and vim and cloned my vimrc and plugins, and installed RVM along with Ruby 1.9.3 (overnight compiles, that takes me back :-) ) Ready to rock and roll...

bytehead

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:49 pm

lol! great introductions...I AM CANADIAN (he said proudly whilst sipping maple syrup) and have greatly enjoyed fixing a wide variety of windows, mac and linux boxes until they're broken. And now that I've discovered virtualization, well let's just say there's no end to the things I can fix/break/restore snapshot!

I am here to learn. I am here to have fun. I am here to kill time at least until Mi Pi aRRIve.

Greetings from the Great White North, Eastern Division!

CM2Weather.co.uk

Hello From CM2Weather.co.uk

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:17 am

Hello,

Complete noob here.
Never really experimented that much outside of Windows....

Have managed to install Apache, XBMC, and Quake 3, after alot of late nights...

Now the fun starts, finding out what it all does, had a few problems to start off with, but found this was caused by using a Mobile Charger that wasn't supplying enough amps.
Now using a BlackBerry one, which is slightly better, but could still do with a bit more power.

So, hello to everyone one from me, and hope your all having fun...
Steve
CM2Weather.co.uk

joshm

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:41 am

Hi!

I'm Josh, and am currently a student in the UK.
Received my Raspberry pi this week and have another on the way.

I have a couple of ideas for them including running XBMC and setting up a NAS device, but also plan on tinkering and learning some new things :)

willpowell8

Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi, I am Will and I am interested in programming, augmented reality, wearable computers and new technology. I have been working on a variety of projects my latest area has been inspired by project glass by google. Here is a video of what came out and I am just finishing a video of a concept in glasses running on the raspberry pi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33wOKBMA ... ture=g-upl

BadBoyBubby

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi

I am pc tech support from the uk still waiting for my first pi :cry: to be delivered.

Planning on using pi's for several things media player / web server and maybe even some programming :o

Trying to get my son programming on it also challenged him to re-create a game I wrote originally on the commodore 64 and then again on pc. Hopefully this will get him interested.

rasbeer

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:46 am

willpowell8 wrote:Hi, I am Will and I am interested in programming, augmented reality, wearable computers and new technology. I have been working on a variety of projects my latest area has been inspired by project glass by google. Here is a video of what came out and I am just finishing a video of a concept in glasses running on the raspberry pi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33wOKBMA ... ture=g-upl
Congratulations Will - that's an amazing piece of tech, & you're covered by lilliputing here.

Why it isn't on the front page here I really don't know...

Return to “General discussion”