N0m4d

Re: Introduce yourself!

Wed May 16, 2012 9:14 pm

I got my invitation to order on the 5th May and told it would be despatched within 7 days. Recieved my slice of Pi on the 15th May - really pleased with the turnaround as it had to come to New Zealand. I was thinking it would take longer so was unprepared when it arrived I was going to get an SD Card and prepare it over the weekend; the other part I'm waiting for is a new HDMI cable - purchased in NZ a few days ago and it's not arrived yet! So my Pi sits in the box waiting for an OS. :roll:

Edit:
Too many tabs open... posted this in the wrong section of the forum, sorry.

I have been registered before but manged to lose my account details so had to re-register, somehow my mail account wasn't recognised to send a password reset.
I am originally from England but now reside in New Zealand, looking forward t using the Raspberry pi with my senior classes at the school I teach at. Cheers.

GE_bill

Thu May 17, 2012 12:48 am

Greetings,

My name is Bill and I live in the circus known as America. I work in Wisconsin for General Electric as an electrical engineer doing mostly FPGA development and MATLAB programming for Computer Tomography machines. I have had a little experience with Linux but am always looking to learn more. I feel the Raspberry Pi will offer a great way to dig into Python programming and allow me to do some very interesting things with the board. My first project once I get the board is to create an Ethernet controllable webcam for my place allowing me to log in and look out my window. I would also like to figure out how to communicate with an ALTERA DE2 development board via the RasPi.

I have a degree in Manufacturing Engineering and another in Electrical Engineering. Currently working on a Masters in EE. I have worked on some interesting projects and served in the military where I repaired radar equipment. Hit me up for questions.

Design away.

Cyantific

Fri May 18, 2012 11:06 pm

Hello, im Cyantific .
I'm here to learn something and to help others find our way around the small wonder that is the Raspberry Pi.

these are exciting times 8-)
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
A.Einstein

EnricoSalad

Sat May 19, 2012 10:05 am

Hi - my Pi should be turning up in July or August. My first computer was an Acorn Electron, so I started off with BBC Basic.

Never had any formal training, but over the years have done little bits of Fortran (at uni), C (teenie tiny bit, self taught), Unix scripting (bought a book! and ended up being sys-admin for a major platform supporting a major service in a telco. Scary). Know a bit of HTML (well, have used the tools which create it for you) and made a simple webapp for iOS. Would still class myself as a beginner though. Looking to start learning Python before my Pi turns up.

Got lots of ideas for my Pi, from low power solid-state NAS, through weather station, to telescope control. Also want to get involved with the local school (primary) as my kids grow up.

Enrico
Enrico

praest76

Sat May 19, 2012 11:46 pm

My name is Peter, been going by the moniker praest76 online since sometime in the last century. I'm originally from Northern Ireland but currently residing in the English East Midlands with my fiancée where I do tech support for a major telecommunications company. In my spare time I break software, herd cats and try to find new ways to introduce carbohydrates into my body.

Been a Linux geek since about 1999 and am a member of the local LUG. Still naively dream of the year of the Linux desktop. Hoping that the Raspberry Pi will help open young minds to FOSS and software development and mean we get a generation of employees that feel enthusiasm for technology beyond the excitement of shiny new consumer products.
PRAEst76 [about.me/praest76]
  • Pi¹ - xibalba: OpenELEC, media centre
    Pi² - erebus: Debian Sid, general shell
Raspberry Pi Last.fm group - last.fm/group/Raspberry+Pi

GS7

Sun May 20, 2012 12:30 am

Hi Guys,

Just ordered my Raspberry Pi from RS, looking forward to receiving it and starting to learn again, seems so long since I used a Spectrum for a similar purpose, can't wait to begin again !

Alan

fsegura

Sun May 20, 2012 2:20 am

I'm Fernando, born and raised in Salvador, a year-round tourist destination. I look much like a tourist myself, though. :mrgreen:

I have a Law degree but gave it up in favor of a less carcinogenic occupation. I'm a writer currently trying to publish my first book. I usually publish something every week at http://trocaletra.com.br but the afterwriting administrative stuff seems to put my muse on a plane to Siberia. My main hobby is, well, eat (Liz, do you have any food writing online?), but also just about everything tech-related I can put my hands on. Coding is like Sanskrit and I solder like a blind elder, though. I founded the local LUG with some friends 15yr ago but both my sandbox PC and my work laptop run Windows. And I have some pretty good ideas to do with a RPi, including making my flat more accessible to my physically disabled wife, but I am starting to think it'd be easier to have the rainbow pixie hand me over his pot of gold than RS or Newark deliver me one before this year ends. :mrgreen:

EdWhittaker

Sun May 20, 2012 8:48 am

Hi All,

My name is Ed, after getting my Pi about a week ago, I thought is was time I stopped by here and said hello.

Like I'm sure many others here in their early 30's, my interest in computers started off with the ZX Spectrum, through the Amiga A500 and then a series of bland and boring PC's. I've messed around with Linux on and off for the last 10 years but are from from an expert.

I'm currently working in the field of GIS (Geographic Information Systems), using a lot of open source tools (Quantum GIS, GeoServer,...), working on websites and in-vehicle navigation systems for winter gritter vehicles - One of our systems could be really improved with the addition of a Pi or similar.

So far, my Pi experience has been fantastic. All my hardware has worked. I've got it running,
-Apache (Want my own always-on server and somewhere to mess around with geospatialldata)
-VNC (makes up for the lack of HDMI on my old TV)
-Calibre (was hoping to get it to produce EPubs of newspapers to deliver to my hacked Kobo - it works but will take approx 4hrs for a Saturday paper!)
-Python and Spatialite (Quite happily reads GPS data from a GPS dongle, extracts NMEA data, converts lat/lon to Ordnance Survey coords and looks up nearby roads in a spatially indexed database - the CPU intensive part of writing a sat-nav)
-Got a dynamic DNS service going on my BT HomeHub, can now SSH in from my phone! (If anyone does this, consider changing the root and default users passwords...)
-With the audio drivers being still beta, I wasn't expecting much but espeak works great, can't wait for the GPU drivers to get released.

The things that attracted me to the Pi were,
-Cost
-Low power - Keep it running as a home server for the price of a pint
-Forces me to use Linux and get to know it on a basic system.
-Really keen that Computer Science gets back to basics (when I did my GCSE's in the mid 90's, it was already going that way and meant that I chose Geography over Computer Science, my interests have since combined)

Charax

Sun May 20, 2012 11:42 am

Hey everyone!

I'm Stefan, no Pi yet but it's due at the end of the month (ish, can never really tell with Element13

not much of a programmer, so I'll be tinkering with different hardware combinations. I raided the Verified Peripherals page of the wiki for an amazon order so I'm all set for when it arrives:

- Asus NB-N10 wireless adapter
- Integral Ultima Pro 16GB SD card (had another SD card but the Ultima's verified - wanted to make sure)
- Trent iCurve IMP70D battery pack (Very useful device even before I get the Pi)

OS is going to be Arch (had it on my Pogoplug before I bricked it, and it was very useful). Arch has the drivers for the N10 wireless module built in, which will be useful.

No definite plans for the device yet, although turning it into a Smart TV is certainly an option (if the camera module pans out well it might be interesting making a "Skype Box" that outputs to the TV). Using an android tablet or phone as an input device is very possible. My old Arch pogoplug had get_iplayer running periodically, it'd scan the BBC Iplayer for a list of programs and download them to a mounted network drive - slow, but automatic, and with the Pi I should be able to stream over HDMI too (either from the NAS or downloading the programs locally to a flash drive for playback)

I'm also somewhat interested in the Pi as wearable computer, either for wardriving/warwalking (I'd love to have a system that can rebroadcast wifi, or map local signals) or something more practical.

My main hurdle right now, aside from not having the Pi, is sourcing a suitable case - Ideally I want something that can hold both the Pi and the iCurve pack, but my 3D modelling skills are beyond rubbish

MBeentjes

Sun May 20, 2012 5:53 pm

Hello,

My name is Martin, sixteen years old and from the Netherlands. I have been programming in C++ for just over one year now. And with the coming of the Raspberry Pi, I am interested in this little wonder. So I decided to buy one.

At the moment I haven't registered or bought one, but I am already learning things about it.

I work with the linux distro 'Ubuntu' for about an half year now, so that's fine. Because I will not have any problem using Linux.
"Life is simple, you make choices and don't look back."

GeorgeXL

Sun May 20, 2012 7:26 pm

Hello to all the members of this forum. I am a linux newbie, mostly i worked with ubuntu.
I am very interested in Raspi as a simple server.

marcopal

from Italy....

Sun May 20, 2012 7:52 pm

HI I'm Marco, [email protected] I'm 41. I have 2 children, 14 and 10 with missing priorities on base technology and lot of skills on advanced entertainement technology (PS3, ..... Iphone, Ipad etc..).
I'm perfectly convinced that there is a lack of developement of skills in programming for young people, in general and our public school environment is not supporting a lot.
Kids will join programming late and they loose the best years in which their capacity to learn is at the top (look on how they absorbe GAMES features...). Responsibility is on parents ok, but how you can staty away from world trends??
I think RPi is a good inititive and should be supported in this sense.
I would like to know from italian members of the forum if they have some ideas on how to promote and incentivate RPi adoption in our country by charity, in the public schools or elsewhere. Attention should be put on creating technology, rather than only using it.
I hope that RPi will help this change.
Ciao Marco
Marco

tsdadam

Mon May 21, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi all, just dropping in here to say hello. I'm 30ish and from Cornwall, UK. I've joined here as I was lucky enough to get included on the latest round of invites to order a rPi. I'm keen to get stuck in and using it for various projects and some programming, I can't wait :)

jack3d

Mon May 21, 2012 2:03 pm

Hey im jack, thanks to everyone for the info all looks great so far!

IT_Sean

Mon May 21, 2012 4:50 pm

This is long overdue, so, here goes...

My name is Sean, and i've been following the RaspberryPi project since the USB thumbdrive sized protoype was intorduced to the world. I'm 27 years old, Irish, and I am an IT Support Representatve & Internal IT Tech for a small networking appliance manufacturer in the states. I've been anxiousily awaiting the arrivial of the RaspberryPi for quite some time now, and am looking forward to my order slot in the queue coming up so that i can start playing with it, and helping out w/ raspi devlopment.

I also help manage the unofficial RaspberryPi IRC channel (#Raspberrypi on freenode).

Cheers!
-Sean :ugeek:
Unofficial Raspberry Pi IRC channel: #raspberrypi on irc.freenode.net
Come join us for a chat!

lorisarvendu

Tue May 22, 2012 3:05 pm

Hullo. Dave here from the East Midlands.

IT Support in a University for the past 14 years, and various IT jobs before that. I've just had my email from RS and have ordered my Pi. I basically got bored with Microsoft years ago and just love tinkering with alternate OS's.

I also like it when everything isn't handed to you on a plate (Ubuntu, I'm looking at you), but you have to work at it (getting Linux to run on an Xbox 1 was fun). The Pi looks like it's going to bring back some of the fun and challenge in computing, plus I might see if I can bring my 14-year old son along for the ride (if i can drag him away from his Xbox 360).

:D

Frog Pi

Tue May 22, 2012 5:32 pm

Greetings,

Having followed the website and forums for some time, this is my first post. I am a fifty something Brit living and working in France and waiting for my recently ordered Raspi to arrive.Once I get my hands on it, I hope to be able to contribute useful input to the forum.

edyb

Thu May 24, 2012 3:16 am

Hi, I'm Ed from Canada.

Just ordered my RasPi from RA... got the invite code last night, logged in and ordered. I was one of the first to register when the announcement came in Feb, so must have gotten to front of the order queue. Total cost was $35 + shipping = $43.02 US. Not bad. Said it was coming in 3 weeks.

Looking forward to receiving and playing with it. Need to get an SD card configured and ready for it in the meantime. Would like to use it to give Powerpoint presentations. For example, to install OpenOffice and maybe load my powerpoints on a USB stick which I can plug into it as a drive and open them up to present them on an LCD projector. I think I may need a mini wireless mouse/keyboard controller which will let me advance slides. This would be ideal as far as portable presentation power.

Wanders11

Sat May 26, 2012 5:31 pm

Hello, all!

I'm Bill, and my 1st RPi is "in the mail." I'm a chemistry prof w/ some old-school computer experience (built 1st computer w/ wire-wrap, taught (Z80) assembly language, build instruments and switched to Red Hat Linux in 2001, but I am a USER, not a coder.)

I have been in on some gestation projects and enjoy the road less taken.

OK, I bought my RPi in the "aftermarket" and paid too much, but if I want to use this in my classroom starting in Sept, I can't afford to wait until Aug - or later - to get my feet wet. It has been difficult to even tell if I am in the cue even though I got email, there was no mention of if I was viewed as a buyer or just an interested party. I wish all good luck and hope to see this develop into a benchmark device in personal computing.

Good luck.

bill

Cavolo nero

Sat May 26, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi All,

Im 40 (I wonder how many of us are about that age? ZXSpectrum ftw), I have one kid, a boy of 10, and I work in the IT industry, but ive rarely written code. I hope the Pi will be an educational experience for me and the kid!

First question, yesterday I had notification from Farnell Uk that my Raspberry PI has been shipped - how long to you reckon it'll be before I get my sweaty mitts on it? ;)

I'm hoping as a first project to get Itunes running on it with home sharing, then Ill have a tinker with writing a bit of software and getting my son involved.

GMT64

Sun May 27, 2012 2:57 pm

Hello All,

my name is Graham, and my Raspberry Pi arrived in my letter-box yesterday morning! Wahayy, now the fun begins ...

I'm 'over 21' (welllll over 21!); I used to work in IT (25+ years as a programmer on Mainframes), but I've been out of that for about 5 years. I still yearn to go back to IT, but there just doesn't seem to be the right opportunities for me.

Knowing that my RPi was one its way I've been getting together the various bits that I will need - got the SD Card, got the HDMI cable, downloaded the Debian OS to my PC, I've got the USB mouse.
I still need to acquire a suitable USB power supply lead, but I noticed earlier today that the one for my HTC mobile-phone fits the socket okay, so I will plan on using that for now. I will also look into a suitable keyboard, and I still need to get a TV with a HDMI input. But, I'm in no rush to do all this!

I've got a few questions, but I will save them for the relevant areas of the Forum.

Graham.

Zulu0001

Sun May 27, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi I'm Andy,

I've been working with computers since I started working at Texas Instruments back in 1972......

My first home computer was the Sinclair ZX81 kit. I ordered it from the back page of Popular Mechanics in early 1980.

I have 150 home computers in my attic, every brand you can think of, but my Sinclair's hold a special place in my home office right next to my virtual racing simulator..

As you can see I have a Sinclair QL, Timex Sinclair 1500, Timex Sinclair 1000 with 16k memory pack and thermal printer and my trusty ZX81 with a modded atari joystick port.

I can't wait to get a Raspberry Pi and a case that has been created on a 3D printer..

Way too cool........

laurenh

Tue May 29, 2012 2:28 am

Hello, I'm Lauren, a nearly life-long resident of Alaska in the U.S. In a couple more years I'll be 50, so I've lived here long enough to know better, and yet I know no better.

I'm a tinkerer, reader, watcher, and layabout without even a fraction of the time I'd need to indulge half my interests. Occasionally I generate sawdust, metal shavings, and blobs of discarded solder in great quantity. I have a couple of Ardunios lying around, currently between raisons d'être, a couple of cats who lie about with no such concerns, a teenage daughter whose main concern about computers (and properly so, I think) is how she can use them to socialize, and a wife who is at this moment tending to green things, glorying in the first days of our Summer, and wondering why I'm not mowing the lawn.

I'm scheduled to meet my own 'Pi in October of this year; it'll be a race between the shipping box and the first snow.

A friend and fellow Alaskan who has had the privilege of actually meeting Liz and Ebon assures me that they are first-rate folks. I look forward to making the acquaintance of them and the 'Pi community in the months and days ahead.

If I had a motto, it would be: Life, Liberty, and the Oxford Comma.

Salud!

Baystray

Tue May 29, 2012 2:54 pm

Hello all, I am Joshua. I am a software engineer who's hobby in electronics suffered greatly from college and then marriage to a wife more in tune with music and the medical field and just starting to see the fun and use in my hobby. My Pi will hopefully arrive soon and along with my arduino projects I hope to get my little boy and my nephew into fun as soon as they are able. Until then my plans for the Raspberry Pi are starting simple with media and hopefully installing and/or making a few educational games for them to start off on. I guess I will see what all I can pull off with it when it arrives.

RetroVortex

Tue May 29, 2012 6:10 pm

Hey there! I'm RetroVortex. :D

I'm a 21 year old UK Univeristy Student, doing a business management degree.

Though my real passion has always been for technology.
I'm no coder. I just struggle to get my head around things, BUT, I am an avid tinkerer! :D

I've used Windows operating systems all my life, and the Raspberry Pi provided me with a perfect opportunity to expand into new fields of research (and much tinkering! HAHA!).

As a kid of the 90s I didn't have much exposure to PCs, well, the programming kind.
Always an avid gamer though. Pretty much got most of the consoles.
(Snes, Megadrive, N64, PS1, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, PSP, DS, 3DS, Sega Master System, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Gameboy, ect.)

Most of my tinkering is orientated around that.
Definately not many people running around with a 60gb PSP with custom firmware and pre-loaded games in my town, thats for sure! XD
(That has a battery grip AND one of the headphone remotes. Perfect portable media, well, besides the bulk! XD)

Or a fully functional Arcade Machine!

I bought a Caanoo the other year, which has been an excellent little device, and it definately has influenced my interest in Linux.

And when I saw the news feeds about the Raspberry Pi, I just HAD to get one to check it out.

And just yesterday I got one! :D

Already loaded up Debian, Fedora Remix (nightly build), and Raspbmc on it. (Connected up my external 1.5tb drive on it earlier and was watching some films and listening to a few tracks on there :D)

I'm hoping this device will be the thing that makes me finally push into game development.
(always been skirting on the edge. Loads of ideas all over the house, some drawings, even used Game Maker for a while when I was younger, but never quite got down and got serious with it, and I just know I was born to do it. Everything about me is Video Games! :lol: )

But before I get into full swing, I have to learn how to use the damn thing first!
(I'm still struggling to get around the concept of compiling sources and installing software on these operating systems. I think I'll get it eventually... :p)

Return to “General discussion”