Anhar Miah

Re: Introduce yourself!

Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:52 am

Hi I'm Anhar,

Raspberrypi is a dream come true for me!

I'll try and keep this super brief:

Backgrounds:

* Electronics (DEng)
* Mechanical Engineering (BEng)
* Computer Science (Msc)

Skillset (2012):

C#.NET|.NET 4.0|LINQ|VB.NET|ASP.NET|Python|F# (Basic)|
WPF (Basic)|SilverLight(Basic)|PHP|IIS 6&7FORTRAN|VB6|
JavaScript|LISP|SQL 2005 & 2008, MySQL|(X)HTML|SGML|
XML|XSLT|jQuery|HASKELL (Basic)|SubVersion|LaTeX|
AutoCAD|NX IDEAS 10|Processing 1.0|Clemintines|
Knowledge Studio|x86 & Z80 Assembly|
3DS Max 2010, Blender|AudoDesk Combustion|
Adobe After Effects CS3|SynthEyes|PFTrack|MATLAB|
GNUPlot|Dot Language (GraphViz)|Sony Vegas 7|
Open Concept Judo, Wing Tsun (Orange Belt)|

Career (2012):

Post Graduate, Senior Developer

Aims:

* Create Programming Language Fx (Functional Chain).
* Create basic Computer.
* Investigate new CPU architecture based on ANN.
* Write book.

Websites:

Trying hard to build a strong community of passionate software developers:

Ethos

"Learn, Teach, Grow"

The IT Ninja

Nigels

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:10 am

A long, long time ago, there was this little computer called a ZX-81 which grew into a Sinclair. I grew up with them and loved every minute of it. Then disaster, I got sucked into the academic side of computers and lost my first love. Now I'm nearing the golden age and soon to be but to pastures green... a new dawn arises, a new name, a new love on the horizon... the Raspberry PI. But O! when will it reach the shores of South Africa? I await for my new true love.

Okay, okay enough of that, back to reality. Currently a C# .Net developer, I've not got many years left before I retire and not wanting to give up programming I need something to keep me occupied and this little device is just up my street.

Looking forward to getting my hands on a few of these as I would love to impart some knowledge to those less fortunate here in South Africa.

But most of all I'm looking forward to having fun with this and not worry about "bottom line" all the time.

focusheart

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:23 am

Hi, I'm focusheart~I'm a college student in China. My written and speaking English is not good...but I can read and understand~

I like to write some interesting code and solve computer problems~ I did some work on development of websites, using php/html/js/python/java...etc, and I really love python~

I have some cameras and remote control model cars, which I would like to do some development on them~Also, I want to use this tiny computer to make some information terminal for classmates~

disaster

Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:17 pm

Hi Focusheart

You have an interesting name.  Don't worry, your written English is pretty good and I'm sure your verbal skills are too.

It is wonderful that the tiny Raspberry Pi is bringing so many people together from all areas of the world.  You are obviously already much better equipped to make changes in the world of IT than I shall ever be, and good luck to you.

It would be nice to correspond with you and maybe help you with your English (or at least you could practise it on me).

All the very best

Nigel

focusheart

Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:20 pm

disaster said:

Hi Focusheart

You have an interesting name.  Don't worry, your written English is pretty good and I'm sure your verbal skills are too.

It is wonderful that the tiny Raspberry Pi is bringing so many people together from all areas of the world.  You are obviously already much better equipped to make changes in the world of IT than I shall ever be, and good luck to you.

It would be nice to correspond with you and maybe help you with your English (or at least you could practise it on me).

All the very best

Nigel

Hi, Nigel~Thank you very much for your encouragement~ I will often look over this forum, and I'm happy to correspond with you~

mpsteffen

Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi, I'm Matthias,

and 33 years old and work as software architect.

To keep it short I just give a short list of buss words

CPC 664, 80286-80486, PII, Atari ST, 8051, AVR, ARM, MSP430

Windows CE (2.0&2.3), Nokia 770, N800, N810, N900

FPGA & Verilog, Ada, C, C++, Python, sysadmin, fieldbus,

reatime signal processing, hamradio (1995+)

First Linux:         Slackware (1996?)

Education:          Dr.-Ing (electronics)

side-activities:    music (choir & e-guitar), quadrocopter

use of RPi:
test automation(?), virtual guitar amp (guitarix), home automation

so far from me

Matthias

bernied

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:53 am

Hi, I'm Bernie, and I'm in Scotland. I've been messing about with linux since 2006 or so, and now use it exclusively at home. I'm waiting impatiently for my Pi so I can try it as:

- a car computer

- a camera trap (for foxes and hedgehogs, not people)

- the brains of a robot

- whatever else I can think of

semaj

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:37 pm

I'm on the East Coast in the USA. For work I'm a .NET developer. I'm looking forward to getting a Pi so that I can try it out (as many other people have said) in my car performing various tasks.

juliushibert

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi, allow me to introduce my self,

my name is Julius and i am mainly interested in Node.js, and i want to use it with raspberry pi.

(and other not related stuff like Doctor Who, left politics and Stageplays).

I am from Potsdam, Germany (this super historical city where … you know, the potsdamer konferenz.)

Soooo….

the oldest Question in the Universe:

How? How can i buy the raspberry pi?

JimDod

Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:09 pm

Hello,

I'm a semi-retired Software Engineer I spent most of my life working UNIX/Linux systems in C/C++ and Perl.  I'm a great lover of little computers that you can wrap your mind around.  This is a great project, you just cannot learn much computer science with a big fat Windows or Mac computer. Also I it fills a need for "small and cheap" which does not exist.  When I finally get one I am going to use it to create a embedded server with a Xbee listening to sensors.

Jim

SimCS

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:53 am

Hi, I'm Simon, resident in a Cambridge village, so close to the heart of the action so to speak, and kicking myself for not getting a ticket for the recent Beeb@30 event at ARM! Have my pi ordered, not sure where in the pecking order I am, but when they become freely available, will be buying a few more.

Have a couple projects in mind, mainly centred around video distribution, e.g. broadcasting PC desktops to multiple recipients (using the pi as the receiver & display rendering device, with hdmi out to the display/projector), and to receive and display the video+audio from an IP webcam. Other than that, am thinking of setting up a kids group to enable them to have fun with the pis (is that the plural of pi? [spoiler]:)[/spoiler]), learning to program (scratch and python being the main contenders - which I need to learn and relive my programming days, being a CompSci grad!) and control things. Ambitious, I know.

SimCS

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:08 am

abtinternet said:

Zino said:

Hi, I"m Zino. In 1978 I programmed a Polymorphics Poly-88 (32k!) for the Ecology Exhibition in the Natural History Museum, London. I think it may have been about the first ever computer-controlled museum exhibit. Ever since 1983 (and Xenix on PDP11) I have been programmimg lots of different Unix-like machines, mainly in C. Ok yes, so now I am the dinosaur and belong back in that Museum, but before I go I'd like to taste some of that Rpi please.

Wow..PDP11. I wonder how a comparison table PDP11 v. Rpi will look like?

Brings back memories. My first job after uni (1981) was programming PDP-11s running RSX-11M & M+ using assembler for a real-time process control project. Then moved jobs (& moved to Cambridge) and came across MS-DOS - yuk! - so went out and bought Concurrent DOS. Cut my teeth at uni programming in BASIC and BCPL on a DEC System-10. Those were the days, when we bribed the computer operators with beer to give us more resources to do fun stuff in the evenings, like play the original MUD game (its creator was in the same CompSci class.)

Looking forward to getting my Rpi and doing some projects with it, and for my sons to discover programming.

Silverwolf

Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:35 am

I am 42 years old and began programming on an Atari 800 in the days where most who had a computer did a bit or a lot of programming.  Why, because I think BASIC was actually basic and a core part of the machines in thoose days.

Now I am still interested in programming and do quite a bit of PHP and Javascript.  I admin a website that is dedicated to play by post gaming where people play DnD using the forums at http://www.pbpmap.com which takes a lot of my free time.  But I still have room for some more programming.

I will definately buy a raspberry pi once I find where I can order one.  Hopefully it will not be too hard to get started with it.  Also I have a computer science degree and have worked commercially in finance programming for over twenty years.

apemax

Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi i'm Peter or "apemax" and i'm 21. I've been using linux for 3 years and i just love it. I program a bit in C++, HTML, CSS, JavaScript and i plan on learning Python. I plan on buying a Raspberry Pi as soon as i can. I've wanted one ever since i first heard about it.

It would be really interesting to learn about it and what it can do as well as coming up with different ways of using it.

jax_redpanda

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi, I am Jason "jax_redpanda" and have been using computers since the age of 11, when the 8-bits were proud, liked to program so have background in BASIC, PASCAL, 6510/02 assembler, M68k assembler, some HTML, Java/javascript, PHP, SQL, C/C++ as well as dabbling in Perl, Python, and some others as well as scripts for DOS, BASH etc.

If you cut me in half ( please wait till I de-part this mortal coil first ) I expect it would say, Linux - Commodore through the middle

I work in Systems (I.T.) support for a global company on a support contract and have worked on or with many global house hold names over the last 25 years ( you would be scared of the tally, I know I am ).

RPi to me is the return to roots we all needed and I cannot wait to get one, this is the class act we need to restore what we do best...

...program in the bedroom (so to speak)

PugsofAus

Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:38 am

Greetings from Downunder.. can't wiat til i can order one to install XBMC onto it to replace the current media player in the master bedroom + to famly members who want a medai player.. plus maybe one for my work van as a onsite PC..

AlexLlewelyn

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:11 pm

Hello fellow Pi people,

I'm a PhD researcher in History and I dabbled a bit with computers (mostly BASIC & HTML) as a teenager, but after reading about the Pi, as well as the Observer/Guardian coding manifesto I had an epiphany, so to speak.

I'd like to use the Pi for History applications, as most of the software we work with is generic, so I'm always wondering, what if I could do that? etc. I realise it wont be easy, but I've picked up loads of Python books from the library and I'll learn that before buying a Pi this fall. Can't wait to actually produce something half-decent. Love the fact that a week ago I hadn't heard of Python and now I'm playing around with else/elif functions =)

Love the community by the way, very inspiring!

piguy79

Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:40 am

hi! i'm from america. i had a commodore vic 20 when i was young. and i had a book on games to program in basic. later i learned about msdos. i created little programs using batch files. then windows 98 came out and i stopped playing around. recently i wanted to get into programming. i googled around and couldn't find anything. then a couple of weeks later i came across a tweet from engadget describing the raspberry pi. i decided to get one but i couldn't because all the sites were down. then i decided to follow raspberry pi on twitter and wait for my chance. well my order is placed and i'm waiting like the rest of you. in the last couple of days way more info has been going around about the pi so i joined the forum. good luck to all of us!

jaav

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:14 am

Hello Raspberry Pi enthusiasts,

I'm from Portugal, and i want test pi and put it as a home server .

BlowingRaspberries

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:27 am

Hi Pi fans!

I'm these days mostly a photographer and graphic designer but have worked in various forms of publishing over the years. I'm one of those arty-farty creative types that loves technology and science - BBC Basic, HTML then Apache and PHP when the web got big, setting up Linux file servers for the home network -  so one of those semi-technical computer users that wished they knew more.

Will hopefully use the Pi to learn Python, just to exercise the brain, and to run RISC OS for old times sake when that's available.

Minty

Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi I'm new to all this, very exciting.

I and my two children would like to learn to build games and "do" more with computing, R-Pi has really caught their imagination.

I hope this is the right place to post my question.

Please can anyone help me find out if I will be able to buy a R-Pi in time for my Sons 12th birthday this June?
He has a fine brain looking for an obsession! I'm hoping it could be the R-Pi.
I have registered my interest to buy, but have no idea where to find delivery time info, anyone have any idea?
Love the forum, many thanks, Minty

Kirill babeev

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:37 pm

hello
Last edited by Kirill babeev on Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blunderbuss

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:15 pm

Hello! Blunderbuss here, aka Matthew_Risi on the twitterverse. I'm a graduate student in the USA, and a new Pi owner. I had the opportunity place my order with RS last Friday, and arrived my new toy yesterday! If people are interested in seeing how their stuff works on an actual unit, send me a PM or tweet! I will attempt to be useful as my meager free time allows.

StudioSpeed

Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:16 pm

OMG Liz, after reading your blog for the last hour or so I have to say, I have NEVER been more hungry in my life time to grill that salmon I've been waiting on!

Thank you guys for all your ideas, hard work, and general awesomeness, and please see my introduction when you get a chance =)

Thankfully,

Brandon J. Meade

StudioSpeed

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,

I am Brandon in San Diego, California, USA.

Just trying to order some Pi's for the friends and family (most of whom are students at SDSU, UCSD, USD, USC, UCLA, CSU, and SDCC.

Not really sure to start so if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be much obliged. I will not be making a single profit on these and will undoubtedly end up just giving them all away to those who can not afford the outrageous prices that technology commands. Luckily I can even possibly write some of these off.

Okay well I will check back in later and just wanted to say hi to everyone.

Please email me if you can help me order a bulk amount.

Thanks!

213crz@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/5tudio5peed

Kaspaas

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi,

I'm Nico - living in Pretoria, South Africa.

Still waiting for my Raspi.

The RaspberryPi is a monumental achievement proving what can be done for $35.

My hope is it will introduce more kids just to configuring systems, and connecting systems to talk to each other.

The current "click as you wish"  mentality is not great for developing understanding of what is avaialable.

Looking forward to receiving my Raspi!

Return to “General discussion”