ThEMiGhTyQ

Re: Introduce yourself!

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:23 am

Hi all I"ve been watching your cool little puter for sometime now and am glad it"s almost ready to be released, I can"t wait actually.

I"ve worked and programmed just about every type of computer system out there and this little raspberry looks like a lot of fun.

So I guess that"s about it for now.

Muggins

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi, I'm an ex BBC Basic man, and mild retro-enthusiast

I've been wondering for a while how to use all the knowledge that was gained in the 80s microcomputer explosion that happened in the UK. And we definitely need to pass that enthusiasm on.

So very very excited by the RaspberryPi project. It sounds wonderful and I hope very much that it will go from strength to strength

cheers

Michael Meissner

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:08 pm

I've been thinking about getting into embedded device programming for my steampunk setup, and the raspberry pi looks interesting.  At the moment, I'm not sure exactly what I want to do with the device.

In terms of my steampunk setup, I pay homage to the news photographers from the 1930's with their Speed Graphics, and to that end, I have built a case that fits over my Olympus E-5 and 14-54mm lens to make look like a bellows camera from the past.

One of the side interests that I have is in using LCDs as a remote viewing device for the camera, and into shutter releases.  I hope the Raspberry Pi's composite video will work with the 320x240 JXD 696 that I use as a hand held monitor for the camera.

In my work life, I work on the GCC compiler and I've been doing it now for about 21 years.  I am currently working for IBM.  In the past, I have worked on various different microprocessors (powerpc, x86, MIPS, D30V, D10V, and a few others), but so far I have not worked on ARM.

kingkong95

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:28 pm

Hello,

My name is Ben and I am an English 16 year old college student with an interest in robotics! I am interested in the Raspberry Pi as a powerful controller for my next robot project, hopefully giving me the opportunity to use video processing for object recognition, more advanced navigation and a few other things. I have experience with running linux, I'm running Ubuntu right now, but I have also tried a fair few of the other distributions Looking forward to the release of this little computer!

Thanks!

JJD

Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:30 am

This is my third time posting this*. Sorry! Anyway…
Greetings from the USA. I'm new here and want to introduce myself to everyone at the forum. I stumbled upon the project by accident and what a great one it is! An endeavour such as this is exactly what the world needs. I can't wait to see the day when the Raspberry Pi is available and in use by all. 
Since I can add some more information this time around:
I, like most (if not all) of us here have always been fascinated by the analog and the digital. Growing up in the 1980's and '90s was an exciting time. Remember the VIC-20, C64, the Atari series (still have a 1200 cassette drive), and the Tandy TRS-80? The list goes on. However, it was very hard to gain access to or own such machines for many back then. Including myself. Then, it seemed to go dark. Dim at the least. Then Linux came along, and now after years of baking…
A new day is coming. The coming of Raspberry Pi, and everyone can have a slice! Much thanks in advance to all of you involved in the project. You are truly helping to make the world a better place.

Have a great day or night!

* By the way, "Third time posting this?" Well, I just had surgery (again) the other day.
The medication, while helping… Has me a bit out of sorts. But I'll be up and at 'em in no time!

Aquarius

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:03 am

Hello world!

My name is Olivier Revelin, from Toulouse, France. I'm 30 and working in Airbus engineering design office (for a subcontractor). I've been using linux (debian/*buntu) for years and came to know this project through /. and arstechnica.

I'm a hi-fi enthusiast and intend to use RasPi as a mediaplayer feeding quality music to a good D/A converter... which is why I'll be digging up details about s/pdif output and/or USB Audio Class drivers for the raspi. I'll probably use MPD driven by a remote XBMC running on a HTPC or my smartphone/tablet. The rational for this is that I can avoid the mixers/resampling that inevitably come with classic linux distribution that are nice to have for convenience but severely degrade audio sound.

BadWolf50

Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:51 pm

Hello all, I'm going by BadWolf50 on here, but have carried many AKAs online.

Yes, I'm sure all the DW fans will know where I borrowed Bad Wolf from, but please dont kick my shins for it. I live other side of the pond from most of you, yes, sorry, I am a yank!

Real name is Al, will answer to most anything except profanity! I'm a grumpy old git that enjoys the hardware side of PCs, but I really need to learn a bit of the programing.

Love what is being done by the raspi gang here and look forward to getting my hands on a unit soon. Been building PC kit since the dial-up days and AOHell, but never got into the programing side of it (bad me). Wife and 3 daughters keep me under-funded for most bits, but with the pi being priced were it is Im sure to get one.

Wondering however if I could buy whatever case you dev after the fact of buying the bare unit, not sure what I hack up from Radio Shack here will look good enough to leave it in.We have dogs and a cat, I really dont want to be blowing animal hair out of the pi every time i go for powering it on.

Another quick question that you might point me to the answer for is more details about a bit I read saying that after you boot the pi from the SD card it can had control over to another OS on an USB drive?? hows that work, and what OS might run it??

Sorry, as I said I never learned the programing stuff (maybe my daughters B/F can get me up to speed on some of it)

Long story short (TO LATE) thanks for what youre doing to teach kids computers, and thanks for putting up with an old yank that need to learn!

zaliron

Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Hello all, My name is Max.

I was born in a little town in the middle of Colombia in South America. My first contact with a computer was when my parents bought one for my older brother when he got in college by the end of the 80s. I was mesmerized by it, all it could do, and I got very interested in programming. In high school I had my first formal computer class, and they where teaching us to program in Logo; I went nuts with it and did some interesting things. Then in collenge when I started studing computer sciences I had a very good C++ teacher, who was patient enough to answer every little silly question I had. After 2 years of that I wasnt able to keep the same college because we had to move out of the country to Dominican Republic.

By then I was 19 and my parents weren't able to support my college so I started working in other things. Finally I came by a very open minded individual that gave me the space to learn to program and create a system for his company. We did it for 4 or 5 years, and the system was very dependable at that point. Since this was the first formal job I could take that would give me some experience in the field, I didn't argue about what language or IDE to use; I went with what they had and knew which was Filemaker. It is not a real language, but you can run the client from mac or pc, and they had mixed systems.

I think we pushed Filemaker to the limit in several ways, and we did some stuff that some other FM devs told us were not possible. The result was tangible on things that used to take days with other systems they had before, but took only hours with our new in-house system.

After a while of this I left the company, and started to work freelance. I was tired of Filemaker and felt it wasn't a real programming experience. But the thing is that a lot of people already knew that I could create mac/pc applications very fast for whatever they wanted, so there was demand for my work.

Around 7 years after I arrived in the country the economical situation deteriorated a lot for political reasons, so at this point most of my clients had to cut costs and couldn't afford to pay me anymore. Since I had a lot less to do I used this time to read as much as I could about open source, linux and any programming language that would catch my eye.

I taught Java 101 and 102 for a while, worked with 3d artists to create a cluster of computers to process renders faster and also worked automating green houses using computers and sensors to control the optimal environment. I stumbled upon a lot of new people and interests, and knew some people in the NGO sector. They welcomed very much the idea of linux but were a bit scared of it because of the lack of support there.

We don't have any kind of strong linux presence in Latin America; everything is up in the air and no one is taking action. Now I'm back in my country, and I can tell that people here are a lot more open to trying linux. I offer to install it for free for my friends. Most of them do not have major issues after the initial stage of configuration of any hardware, or maybe they have some piece of exotic hardware like a new model of "insert chinese word here" usb 3g modem, but I enjoy learning how to make it work, and when on very rare occasions something just doesn't work, usually this hardware is problematic because windows emulates parts of it and we don't have that kind of emulation for linux I guess, although more and more of these manufacturers incorporate linux support.

I can tell from my own experience that people are very ready for linux. At least 10 kids under 12 are using a linux install that I know of, most of them for more than a year, and they are very happy campers; they praise that is so easy to find applications for virtually anything.

I think this computer has a lot of potential in a country like this, a potential to let people and families of very low income afford a fully functional computer, where they can learn anything they want and have fun at the same time, something like a family computer; this is an amazing dream coming true and I hope you guys let me get involved in this community as much as time allows me to. I think I can say I am fairly fluent in English although Spanish is my first language, and Linux is no stranger to me. If you need help with translations of the website, or if you ever need help in Colombia, I'm more than willing to give you a hand.

BarryMead

Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:19 am

Hi:  My name is Barry.  I am an Electronics Engineer and Software Developer, and I have plans to use the Raspberry Pi for one of my little automation projects.  For this application the Raspberry Pi will be controlling a USB WiFi Dongle, and the Unit will be a mobile device roaming from one WiFi hotspot to another.  Many of the USB WiFi modules have trouble resetting themselves once they have been configured to communicate with a specific type of WiFi hotspot.  All of the USB WiFi modules that i have tried rely on the USB port's ability to cycle the 5V power on/off to reset these WiFi modules so that they can be ready to roam to a new Hotspot, since they don't provide any other software means to reset the WiFi module state.

Question, does the Raspberry Pi have transistors to allow for software switching of the 5V power that goes out either of the two USB 2.0 HOST adapters?  If not then I won't be able to use the Raspberry Pi for my application, unless I could cut the trace to the outgoing 5V USB power and wire-in a transistor that I connect to a free GPIO pin on the processor.

Has anyone done this yet?  Thanks,  Barry Mead

albert007_d

Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:20 am

Hello I am Albert from India,

ever since i got involved with embedded Linux based h/w, I surrendered myself and decided to become a Linux slave.

Since 2006, I have been spending my earnings on buying different Linux based h/w to run my own software for different automation stuff. Here is a photo of my Linux h/w collection.

My ultimate goal was to find a cheapest Linux hardware to run my own automation stuff, at the moment i am happy with MR3220+openWRT@ 35$  but with limited flash+RAM and without graphics support.

Now i am eagerly waiting to get hold of at least one RP.

SereneJ

Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:36 am

Hi all,

My name is Karl - I've been lurking on the site and forum for the last few months watching with interest the progression of the Raspbery Pi and the foundation - Kudos to the intentions of the foundation and I wish it very well!

It is because of the foundation that I have rekindled warm fuzzy memories of trying to program a ZX spectrum as a teenager (not very well might I add).

I won't dwell too much on my knowledge of turbo Pascal or C++ and OOP either (I studied Computing at a HnC & HnD level).

However... unlike the majority of those posting on here I am neither computer/ hardware engineer, software developer or student; I am in fact a band 5 staff nurse who now secretly masquerades as a geek at night and weekends.

My time is now spent gaming on a 360 or messing around on my netbook learning linux (ubuntu) and shortly Debian (in anticipation of owning a Raspberry Pi).  Now that i've posted at least once I'll probably go back to lurking at the periphery of the forum - however I am considering going along to the Herts Raspberry Pi group that is forming - all in good time though!

7+7 nice

kling

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi from Italy!

First, I would like to say that I don't know absolutely nothing about PC, OS etc. but I have a couple of idea that I would like to realize using a bit of lateral thinking.

Of course I will need the help from you and from a bunch of friend of mine who know how to work with the IT stuff.

So be gentle if some questions may sounds naive.

RasPi it's a great idea and I hope it will be a great success.

I am surfing the Forum to collect informations so you'll hear from me soon

ciao

Miskatonic

Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:06 pm

Hey all,

I'm a young bassist from France, I have been several Linux distros for a couple of years and have been following news from the Pi since a while.

I can't wait for mine.

JakeGrey

Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:13 am

Hi, I'm Jake. (That might not be the name my parents gave me, but to all intents and purposes it's my real name.) I'm 25 and from a tiny English town so grim that it made both Luton and Windsor, Ontario look good by comparison. Sometime in between the long and bizarre saga of unlikely misadventures that has been my adult life I found the time to become a qualified PC repair technician, and I'm hoping to take a network admin course and possibly some programming classes.

jamodio

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Hi There,

just saying hello after joining the "community". In few words I'm a Computer Science and Networking nerd with executive experience. Internet Pioneer and digital electronics geek currently doing R&D on microcontroller embedded networking and Internet of Things and smart objects related stuff.

Anxiously waiting for the opportunity to have a Raspberry Pi to start doing some experimenting and development.

I currently live in San Antonio, Texas, USA.

More about me at http://about.me/jamodio

Cheers

Jorge

sw7104

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:08 am

Hello, I'm Steve Watkins from Louisville, KY, USA.

I'm a long-time, data-center scale SQL Server DBA for a large, financial services technology provider. I also have a strong background in TSQL programming & SAN storage, and I taught myself C#. And of course, I've supported nearly every significant database ever created.

I've had little experience with unix, although my first web browser was Lynx! And I used Elm for many years.  I followed Liam's tutorial and now have Debian running inside VirtualBox, which has been awesome.

My short term goal is to see how cheaply I can get a working RasPi up and running.

Following that, I going to try to partner with a friend who works in the local refugee support community to start teaching a class for the refugees (non-native English speakers, mostly from SE Asia and the Middle East) on building RasPis and then learning to write code to build apps for the local Refugee agency that has supported their transition to our community. The apps we would create would serve multiple purposes -- it would benefit the non-profit refugee agency, and it would provide the refugees with valuable job skills & experience, with actual SW products to which they can point potential employers.

That said, thanks to all of you involved in this amazing project. It will be a privilege to work with the RasPi.

--SW

amar

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi all.

My name is Amar, coming from Bosnia but past 10 years living in Sweden.

Long time sysadmin, focused mainly on win/linux servers, DBs, SAN, security, PCI, etc.

In my free time (something that doesn't exist) I like to program for iOS, play with Arduino, drive motorcycle and so on.

I was mostly reading forums but thought that now is good time to become a bit more active.

Cheers

Cylon

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi im Mike,

I been in computing/IT whatever you wanna label us as field for over 30 years.

I started with BBC Model b, went on to Amtrad CPC's, Oric Atmos, Dragon 32, Several PC before seeing sense and returning to Acorn for my RiscPC 600 series machine, God was that a beast. The ARM processor blew me away.

I have had further PC, but now im MAC man. However. I dont do the normal thing like others do and say they are great, which hey are but, I dont preach it out. They are great for music (which I do lots of) but i cant for the life of me discount this bit of PI.

Its all about choice, and this little device will give tons of prospective engineers, developers, etc the chance to start small and work to some grand design with what is to most spending money.

Not that I ever got that amount of spending money back in the day I learnt to program anything. I started with z80 Assembler, and i enjoyed it tremendously.

I just hope schools, colleges and other smaller clubs get a grip on this thing and make it work for all of our futures.

Inspirational is what i call it. I intend learning Python from scratch on this RASPI having never touched programming for 15 years since moving in the opposite and dark side of IT management.

Good luck to us all and The future is brighter because its Fruity.

fire219

Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi, I am fire219. I have been aware of the RasPi project for a while now, but haven't really gotten interested in it until recently.

While most of you have day jobs in IT and managing SQL databases, I am only 13, so I can't exactly have a job like that. It also means my first PC was a Pentium I MMX @ 133 Mhz with a S3 ViRGE GPU.

Being 13 doesn't mean I am any less of a geek though. I can program in batch/bash and Python, and am learning C and assembly. I also mess around with the Parallax Propeller (an 8-core robotics microcontroller that runs at 80Mhz) on a Demo Board (which actually is similar in size and ports to the RasPi, just swap the RPi's HDMI with VGA.)

Good luck to you all, and thanks to all the amazing people who have worked on and helped develop this equally-amazing RasPi project.

Ennio

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm sorry I haven't seen this topic before;

my name's Ennio and I have no idea about programming linux et similia.

I hope that the rasPi will be user-friendly because I have a couple of ideas in mind for it, like a retro-gaming console, a toycar, a video surveillance system, a htpc, a netbook etc.

So, thanks for the attention and buona serata

ephoenix

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:26 pm

Hey Everyone,

My name's Jonathan and live in New York City.  I have been interested in technology for over 20 years.  I like open source and networking and building computers.  So Raspberry Pi is very interesting when I heard about it on Twit.tv.

I want to play around with Raspberry Pi and see what I can do with it.

Piotr-G

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:09 pm

Peter here

Poland, Europe.

A teacher of English to Secondary Comprehensive school students in Poland.

Hoping to live up to the day RP PCs become common and available and be a proud owner and user of at least one of them.

I am a webmaster for http://www.e-sikorski.cba.pl (school's monthly)

Used to be a joomla user, now turned to wordpress.

Interested a bit in kind of everything; graphics, webmastering, simple htms matters, ubuntu distributions, IT world and where we get  from there.

Nice to meet You all.

Foxhoundz

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:30 pm

Hello forum! I'm Doug.

I'm a college student currently studying web development in Texas. I've heard a lot about Raspberry Pi a few months back and didn't really think much of it. I honestly thought the undertaking was just a conceptual proposal that would never actually materialize. This time, I'm glad I was wrong.

I primarily want the Raspberry Pi for a very light HTTP server, serving as a testbed for my PHP + MySQL projects.

If possible, I would also like to purchase two or three more boards for other networking projects. Of course, the first 10,000 are one per person, so I guess I'll settle with one board for now.

Anyway, nice meeting y'all!

pohmnz

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:37 am

Hi,

I'm a British ex-pat living in New Zealand, I am also a secondary school teacher. I have been following the Raspberry Pi site for a few months and am eagerly awaiting the release - hopefully I can bag one of the first 10,000.

Thanks for all the stuff that is already on these forums, my questions are answered without having to post so far.

One minor thing - I've tried to sign up for the mailing list on several occasions over the last few months and each time my request on the home page hangs... so I don't get signed up. Any solutions or anyone able to sign me up? Cheers.

blacknight

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:07 am

Hello all,

I'm making my first post, and thought this would be a good place to start.

My name is Joshua and I am a graduate student working on my PhD in Physics.  To be more specific, I am a particle physicist and working on neutrino physics at two experiments in Japan, T2K and SuperKamiokande.  Despite sounding like I work in a lab all day, I actually spend most of my time behind a computer writing code to analysis our data.  Originally I am from America and live on Long Island when not in Japan.

I have been a huge open source fan since late high school, and a GNU/Linux only guy for the last 3 years.  Apart from FOSS as my main hobby, I also love making free flight airplanes and RC airplanes.  Anything that flies has always interested me.  There are many other hobbies I've been meaning to try, but currently my free time (or lack there of) and budget does not allow for it.

I could go on, but will save you from the torture.  If there is something else you really want to know about me, just ask.  Nice to meet everyone and I look forward to future interactions.

Return to “General discussion”