malaw

Re: Introduce yourself!

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Hi all

I'm Michelle from Birmingham, UK. I have been keeping an eye on the Raspberry Pi for a while waiting for it. I'm a full time Mom (of 3 girls) and housewife and a student at Open University where I'm studying for a degree in computing. Currently I'm learning how to program in Java and VB.

I think the IT education in schools at the moment is pretty bad, the stuff my 12 year old is being taught, my 7 year old can already do. It's all just using MS Office anyway, no programming or anything of any use for a potential career in computing.

My kids are looking forward to the Raspberry Pi coming out and learning how to use it and program with it. So hopefully it won't be long before we can get one and maybe a bit later more than one (for each kid ;p).

Anyway, I'm signed up for the email and eagerly waiting.

rdepew

Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm Ray, from Colorado in the USA. It's fun living in a place that's a destination for other people on holiday. I'm an engineer, a former math teacher, a computer gamer and a game author. I like to read, to play in the mountains, to teach (especially mathematics to 12-to-20-year-olds), and to play with computers.

I got started with computers in college, writing my Fortran programs onto punch cards for the DEC-10 and IBM 360. My first job after college included running some robotic control equipment using HPL. I've programmed in everything from assembly code, through C and C++, to Java and HTML.

I've also been a chemical engineer, electroplating engineer, thin film process engineer, and VLSI test engineer. The little gold square on the business end of an HP inkjet printhead is mine, and I'll claim a tiny share of credit for the MCUs in Microsoft optical mice and Micron picoprojectors.

I've started up and managed a couple of computer graphics firms, using the Torque game engines from GarageGames for the heavy lifting. I taught math to 12- and 13-year-olds for a couple of years, and got to use my simulations to teach some concepts. I'm afraid I corrupted some young minds and sent them down the dark road to Computer Science and Engineering.

My title at my currrent employer is design engineer, but in this small company I get to wear a lot of hats. I get to play with electricity, water, gasoline, and acetylene torches - all at the same time. Haven't lost my eyebrows yet.

For my next trick, I will learn to write iOS and Android apps for my employer, whilst playing with the R-pi in my personal time.

peternicholls

Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:42 pm

Hello, I'm Peter and I'm new around here. But I've been following this project for quite a few months now; and it really excites me.

When I was 8 my parents bought our first family computer. An Acorn Electron. We subscribed to the programming magazine "INPUT" and my Dad and I trawled our way through hours of BASIC code to make games, programmes and all sorts of interesting things. I loved experimenting, seeing what combinations of code could do different things; taking apart other peoples code and seeing how things worked.

But I saw 'programming' as beyond me for what ever reason. You see, BASIC was one thing, real programming was another altogether, and there was no one around (or any internet!) back in the 80s to teach me or show me there was more. I wish someone had said back then "Hey, look at this C language! It's everywhere!" And so on. So computers became tools that I used with other peoples programmes.

Then the Web came to stay. I got my first internet enabled computer, an iMac, at the dawn of the new millennium. Thanks to the rudimentary Adobe GoLive and Photoshop I made my first 'home page' - an online CV. But, as I discovered just what a webpage was and opened up the 'hood' to look inside, I rediscovered programming - albeit in a small but significant way. A chink of light had made its way back in to my life.

Over the coming years I would get used to HTML and CSS; then I would discover PHP and MySQL. I would realise just what the command line could do and how powerful the UNIX underpinnings of the Mac OS X could be. Strangely, I never once thought that I was a programmer though; that title was unimportant, the code and it's results were the key.

Then a year ago or so deciding I should learn to write for the iOS devices, I decided to take a crash course in C - this was when I realised I wish my 8 year old self had learnt this in 1985. But realising that PHP was just like C anyway, I was most of the way there already. Now I'm programming more and more. PHP, Objective-C, iOS, in OOP and MVC... and I love it.

During 2002-5 I trained as a teacher in Music. Secondary, then primary. I took an interest in the ICT curriculum back then, obviously when at primary having to teach it too. I couldn't believe that we were teaching children how to use PowerPoint, or Word, or Excel. To me that wasn't ICT - it was business and office work! Sure it used computers, but doesn't nearly everything these days? (I'm no longer a teacher).

Now I realise that it is programming that needs to be taught. Real life programming. Start which easy stuff (moving a robot etc) but do that in reception classes and years 1 - 2, even get them to do simple screen drawing things. In year 3 there is no reason why you cannot teaching very basic outline HTML, give it a bit of styling too. In year 4 you can teach them more real life programming. They will see results, but also make things that look like the web they see everyday. Then you tell them, there is work in this.

In year 4 introduce a scripting language of some kind, year 5 - 6 make some real programmes to solve real problems. Secondary school - well!

Fanciful? It wasn't fanciful in the 70s and 80s when thats all you could do with computers anyway. And that is one of MANY reasons why I adore the Raspberry pi project. Children need exposure to this as early as possible, to show them what can be done, what they can achieve and do right now. Their brains will suck up this information, try new things and one day even help make programming a huge asset to the economy. As well as a great hobby.

Sorry if I went on, but I hope some of that was interesting

bnl

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:39 pm

I"m Björn, 38, programmer since 15 years.
Like many people, I plan to build a htpc client.
However, the wcs (Warehouse Control System) system I work with, was recently ported to
x86 linux, so I might try porting it to arm linux.
I saw that debian will be supported, and I know that
Debian has a proper Ada compiler for arm, that I"d like
To try out.

i really look forward to this...

I also own a linux journal t-shirt that states
"Geek by nature, Linux by choice"

niijel

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi all,

I'm Niijel, hate to be lurking in shadows so thought I should show myself in the light.

I am into linux, coding and educational support/apps with plenty of web and gaming thrown into the mix. For a rest - I mess around with 3d design and software but I am def not an artist

Hoping RP changes how everyone thinks of computers - hopefully its just a thingy that does.... and cheap as chips so everyone can play with it ( and build robots, and drive their tv and their lego etc...)

rockhawk

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi all,

I'm Mike and I'm basically just hoping to play with the Pi.

Initially hoping to fiddle with some low level software - maybe see what I can do without an OS.  Then once the model As come out probably get one of them and play with the GPIO (so its cheaper when I blow them up...) - hoping to interface with my Digilent Basys 2 board and Arduino.

Once they become a bit more available (and cased) and we're sure they last a while I'll probably switch my always on ancient Linux server over to one to get rid of the noise and reduce the power by an order of magnitude
Find Iridium Rising, our 3D space combat game, on the Pi Store!

JordyB123

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:06 pm

I'm a teen from the U.S. pursuing a goal of being a computer engineer! Just learning basic programming and stuff like that.

bob8889

Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:17 am

Hi I'm Bob from Canada. Currently an IT person doing SAP Supply Chain installations. Have to make a living somehow. My computer life all started with the Commodore 64 in 82 then it went to the Atari ST 520 then to IBM / Windows products. Been programming as a hobby for 30 years: C, Pascal, Basic and more recently Perl, PHP, SQLite..... Currently playing around with Dockstars and PogoPlugs turning then into Arch Linux (ALARM) computers. One is current doing Samba, MiniDLNA, Transmission. The other is a test bed for Cherokee web server and SQLite which I'm planning to use for Home Automation. And the 3rd is a spare for future projects. I'm addicted to ARM computers now so I have to buy a Raspberry PI as well and it has a bonus that you can attach a screen. It's all good.

TDorsey

Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:48 am

My name is Troy, heard about the R-Pi from a friend of mine at work and decided to check it out. I'm a minor techie, so the thought of having this little gadget piqued my interest to say the least, but [nevermind what used to be here, I am apparently blind, see the edit].

Edit: Found the answer, two threads below this one. Hurrrrp.

Afrosey

Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:32 pm

Hello I thought I would actually become a member rather than just read the forums.

I am very interested in the project on a number of levels, firstly I am of the generation of the acorn electron and now have two kids aged 3 and 5. I would like to provide them with the same opportunities to learn how a computer works.

Secondly I have made a career out of computing and have dealt with a lot of languages and operating systems including OS2, Solaris and the many versions Windows. I thought I could give a little back to the generation behind me.

Thirdly I am geeky and would love to play with the the RPi and gert board.

Lastly I have a confession to make I am also an MCPD and work for a MS Gold partner and all the Dev's here are excited by the RPi.

Jaredvcxz

Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:07 pm

As you can see, my name is Jared and I am in America. I've been using computers since the late 90's, and broke a computer for the first time a few years later. I still haven't figured out what the proxy.ini process did or why it ended up making the entire system unbootable, but that's Windows 98 for you. I only started frequenting the internet around 2006 when my parents figured I was responsible enough to have my own computer. I'm currently in a vocational class for networking and systems administration, based off the CISCO academy. I've also been experimenting with Java and Python.

I run a 24/7 minecraft server, running Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop with a LAMP server hastily stapled to it. I refuse to upgrade to 11.11 and will be switching to most likely Arch once I figure out how to get the thing to work. It's just the DE that I'm having trouble with, but I could use entirely command line if those idiots who make plugins stopped using ad.fly. I swear, making money off a mod for a retail game should be a crime.

As you can see, I like to ramble a lot, so expect me to be in the OT section for the while until release.

deepthought

Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Stuart here, aka 'Deep Thought'.

I am a writer, photographer and historian living in the Midlands of England (the bit which inspired Tolkien's 'dark land' of Mordor...

There were no computers in schools when I left comprehensive at the end of the 1970s – the next year my brother (who was a year behind me) began to be taught using punched cards which had to be taken to the local college for the program to be run!

Just a couple of years later the home computing revolution began and I had the opportunity to teach myself across a wide range of relatively affordable computers, which was enormous fun. The first 'home' computer I owned was a Texas TI99/4A and the last ‘home’ computer I owned was an Acorn A5000.

Around 1984 I founded the West Midlands Amstrad User Group (later the Serious Micro User Group) in Walsall, England, and owned all the 8-bit Amstrads at one time.

In the late 1980s-90s I used to write for various home computer magazines - Micro Computer Mart, Atari ST User, Amiga User, and Amiga Computing.  I also had a hand in editing an Atari ST section on Micronet 800 (Prestel!), for which I used a Spectrum 48k with twin prototype microdrives.

These days I use Apple Macs at home (including an 8-core Mac Pro) and both elderly Windoze PC’s and a Mac at work – with a BBC Micro or two knocking about at home for when I have time to mess.

Linux never really interested me until the Raspberry Pi came to my attention; it sounded so much fun, like the ‘good old days’, that I will be getting my hands on one as soon as I can, and will use it as an excuse to get my hands dirty and teach myself Linux and more as well as hopefully having more retro fun with RiscOS.

So there you are!

Dave Bull

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi Liz, Hi everyone!

I'm a tax accountant near Cardiff, married with two kids.

I first discovered computing in 1981, subscribed to Your Computer magazine for several years and learned the simple joys of programming through that and my ZX81. I owned a PCW9512 several years later which came with CP/M and was the last computer I owned that really allowed me to programme it at ASM level. Everything since has felt like I'm a mere mortal who's not worthy to be allowed to mess around with stuff at that level. I've been a keen user of Linux, experimentally since 1996, full time on my laptops since Ubuntu Heron which has given me the play-around-ability I want from a computer and this project really excites me. I want one!!

tr1ck5t3r

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:36 pm

Windows programmer by day. Got hooked with computers when I was 8 with the ZX81, then the BBC Basic when we got a couple at primary school and a C64 at home. Was writing commercial software for some local businesses here in Stortford (between Cambridge and London) when I was 14, didnt get on with education really so would like to chip in and make sure other INTJ"s who have a distinct disrepect for authority dont make the same mistakes I made by being too cocky et al at school letting their talent go unnoticed and/or wasted. Would like to see the Pi become the success it should be in Schools. I"m quite innovative in what I do, used to the run the UK user group for the windows language I use day to day so seen the problems programmers have faced, got some ideas for the device which I hope to explore and would like to help out where possible. Down time I like to surf and walk my dog around Thetford forest as I find the countryside very relaxing.

riggsre

Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:56 pm

Hello. My name is Ron and I live inLas Vegas. I found out about the RasPi on another forum (Win7Vista) and I am excited about it and really hope I "win" one.

I first became interested in computers in about 1986 when we bought an Apple IIc. I was fascinated by being able to make it do things by using Apple Basic and then assembler code. I got hooked on "hacking" the copy protection on the 5 1/4 inch floppy disks and then started hacking the hardware by adding memory boards and the like. I went to the MS DOS world a few years later. I didn't go with the Mac because I thought Apple was dumb for not opening up their architecture to 3rd parties so they could improve upon it. If they would have, there is no doubt Apple would have dominated the industry.

But I digress... I build my own computers and have played around a little with Linux but I'm a real greenie. I am hoping the RasPi will be a path to induce me to learn the basics.

I see there are a little over 10,500 members to this forum. This gives me hope I may actually get one. Of course I want the "B" model and my first project will be mounting it in a Glad food container and hooking it to my TV via HDMI.

Kitty

Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:17 pm

Hello all, isnt this exciting!

Kitty checking in, Im one of a billion people waiting for the release of the Raspberry Pi, I just hope I can buy one on release day.

Bit about myself, Im an I.T Engineer and I run a website with some friends which is located over at http://awesome.commodore.me, Im sure theres a few retro fans on this forum who may be interested

Im interested playing with Risc OS and Aros on the Pi and also hoping that Commodore USAs Linux C64 OS may be compatible with the Pi, anyone know if this is a possibility?

Anyway enough rambling, glad to be part of the fruity community

Midnight Caller

Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:17 pm

Hi All

I am Gary aka Midnight Caller I am interested in Dyslexia, Health, Education and IT using computers I am Dyslexic.

I setup the Teesside Dyslexia Association with the help of the BDA, the TDA now is Dyslexia Support Middlesbrough I am no longer a comedy member of DSM I left jew to health, but I am still interested in Dyslexia, I am hoping that the Raspberry Pi will be a good way for me to experiment with linux.

I have a number of computers including 4 Compaq Proliant Dl360 servers, the servers are not setup yet.

I was with Commodore Business Machines back in the 1970's from School where I fell in love with the PET Computer from CBM, I finally got to buy one in the 90's but both of them do not work, I may put a Raspberry Pi in one of the Commodore PET Education Computers.
Please remember that I am Dyslexic wen replying

robinsky

Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:42 pm

Hi I"m robinsky aka Richard. I"m setting up a new project to offer lifeskills training including IT to homeless and disadvantaged young people in Devon, England. Raspi sounds really exciting, I can"t wait to buy my first Type A educational. Then who knows? I have done some software dev incl. Linux so will also be looking to do some voluntary development. Next step will be to find out how to get involved

radicalbass

Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:58 pm

Hello y'all, I'm Jackson from Texas. I'm a senior in high school who may end up majoring in computer science yet doesn't know any real programming languages. I took an advance computer class my freshman year but at that time had no interest in programming and thus cheated my way through it. Fast forward to the present and I see this and figure that this could be fun to have while I slowly learn some languages for school events. Hope I get one of these and have some fun

echo9

Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:18 am

Hi all

This is echo9.

I am a Software Engineer (currently employed by P&G) and an OSS enthusiast from India.

One thing I can tell ya'll is: this Project is absolutely AWESOME!

(Considering the hardware we'll get (thx Broadcom SoC), the layout(mind blowing PCB designing ) and the Price point (most important! ) )

Cheers,

niner

Seku

Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:12 am

Hello, I´m Rubén from Spain. I have been working with computers since 1999. I have one children and so I am interesting in the intersection of IT on education. I"ve been doing Linux development personally for the last 2 years.

I"m fascinated by the RasPi power about programming and how computers work.

I wait learn a lot with us and this great forum, great job admins!

Regards from Spain,

rhjcamp

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:01 am

Hello All,

My name is Robert and I am from... Sounds like the entry for new contestants to blind date! Do you remember Cilla Black!

Anyway, decades ago I use to program typical stuff, ZX81, Chinese Apple II+ clone (ahhmmm), Amstrad PC1512 etc, but while I am still involved in the industry and seem to be the technology help desk for friends and family, I sort of got sidelined into Enterprise Architecture, Management and other stuff.

Personally, I have done well out of the industry, and I agree that there is a real lack of development/technology skills in the UK and could not agree more with the principles of this Charity. In fact we use to recruit from the Defense industry, then the Gaming industry as well as run our own graduate programmes but all of these have stopped.

So I am taking the plunge and reminding myself of all of that stuff I use to remember from the 90's, hopefully with my 11 year old daughter if I can get her off her iPad that is!

As we speak it has taken me two days on and off to resurrect this old computer I am typing this on as I thought it might be a good idea to remember a little bit on Unix before I also start playing with new hardware. Mint 12 (Lisa) Linux thingy, and the Broadcom lack of Firmware for my old B43 chip wireless card stumped me and I had to sleep on it overnight to get to work!

What will be interesting is how good the documentation will be for education. Converting back from Windows to Linux reminded me how different the languages are that the experts use. Taskbar becomes the bottom panel, CMD is Terminal/Shell, packages and TARs etc... Plus the fact there is so much information it's very very difficult to see the 'wood for the trees' so to speak.

Patience will be needed, flaming somebody on a forum for not typing in the right google/forum keywords into search doesn't help if they don't know what the thingy is called in the first place. The foundation will need to almost create a full education syllabus for the ICT teachers to follow (or parents and kids at home) because technologists really don't realise how much they actually know and take for granted. So dumb it down and then dumb it down again! Also, I am also not sure that sending people off to the Ubuntu wikis/help pages is a good idea either as it is difficult to know what will work on the PI boards.

Depending how I get on I also think the GERT boards sound fun! then I will have to get out the old breadboards, soldering iron and sucker from the loft as well!!

Thank you for reminding me about technology!

Rob.

MegaGumbo

Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:37 pm

My name is Niels Haedecke and I'm from Duesseldorf, Germany. Ever since christmas 1984 I've never been without a computer, doing computer stuff, in my life. I started as a 9-year-old newbie exploring the capabilities of my parent's VIC-20. Fast forward: the 1990's, dawn of the PC in german households; Modems, BBSes, AOL, "the web". And Linux, which took over all my machines in 1998. I didn't resist.

So I grew up, became a C programmer for POS (point-of-sale) systems and eventually switched teams by becoming a Linux admin in the same company. I'm now 15 years in the IT business and I have passed both, german apprenticeship and IT college.

While RaspberryPi was brought to life with the UK educational situation in mind, I really  appreciate this project as it will definitely help schools in germany as well. At least here in north-rhine-westphalia, where a lot of cities have very tight budgets, the RaspberryPi will enable schools to provide each student with a working computer to experiment with. The fact that the machine is Linux based adds to the experience and opens a universe of possibilities. Also, I think this device will have an impact on the model making scene, my guess is that those drone and robot guys will love it. I really think of the Raspberry Pi as a kind of 21st century Lego toy, offering almost unlimited possibilities.

I'm looking forward to buy one or two of the B-models and see what will happen. People already have so many nice ideas for a proper use case and I'm getting quite inspired by all the XBMC work in progress.

So I wish you all the best for the Raspberry Pi project. Once the device is here in my hands, I'll be happy to join all the other RPi enthusiasts on this next, new and fantastic quest in computer technology and see if I can help when questions arise.

Oh, one last question: will the graphics adapter be strong enough to run "Oolite"? Not kidding, the Idea of putting one RPi in a Cobra Mk III case made of cardboard and have it run Oolite when turned on is on my mind already.

You people are just so cool, really!

Niels Haedecke

DailyBlaa

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:21 pm

Hi All

I am Michael from Ireland. Worked in engineering for about 10 years just back college now about to finish my degree in physics. Really interested in this new venture by RaspberryPi. Being building custom pcs for years and writing programs so can't wait to get my hands on this.

Currently researching and building an impedance spectrometer for final year project. Would be very interested in using a RaspberryPi unit in conjunction with this project at a future date. Once I am finished with my degree will hopefully get a position for phd research in bio-medical field.

Looking forward to all the cool projects to develop out of this.

delusr

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:54 am

Good day I'm an Australian system analyst with 15 years experience who has spent the last 5 years working in construction less pay but it beat spending hours in the gym each day to get fit.

I taught myself electronics while working at that mundane job (tiling - floor and wall) by listening to mp3 training courses and quickly looking things up on the net on my mobile when the boss/foreman wasn't looking.

I'm interested in integrating openTLD a web camera and a few servos with Raspberry Pi.

I can smell it baking in my incubator right now. mmmm

Return to “General discussion”