subra_srini

Re: Introduce yourself!

Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:58 am

Hello All,

I am Srini, from Banalogre. I had spent past 15 years bring to life new HW with various BSP/SW platforms.

I am on my way building a toy robot along with my kids, and exited to get hands on Pi for this project and play with it.

I am looking forward and believe that the SW eco system of PI would be easy enough for my kids to create things out of it.

-Srini

tr3

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:22 am

Hi, i'm Enrico and I just want a Raspberry Pi

ichmy

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:05 am

Hi, I"m ichmy from Japan.

I"m introducing linux gadgets to japanese people on my web site.

My web site is here. http://legacyos.homeip.net/ That is written by japanese only.

jrobertson

Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:58 pm

Hello my name is James,

I'm 38 years old and I'm currently seeking employment. I previously worked as an engineering programmer for a local engineering company however I was one of the many people made redundant.

I've been interested in computers since the age of 14, and I didn't write my 1st program until I was 17. I prefer to learn and develop with software rather than hardware because in general it doesn't cost as much to fix when things go wrong.

If I can get something working that wasn't working before I started it I'm generally happy.

Pugo

Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi all!

I'm Anders, or Pugo as many people by some strange and almost forgotten reason call me. I live in Linköping, Sweden, a city about 200 km south of Stockholm. I moved there for studies many years ago and got stuck.

I have been a computer geek for almost 30 years and a Linux fan for something like 17. I really love the power and flexibility that I get from running Linux on things and the power I get when developing on top of Linux!

Nowadays I work at Opera Software, the norweigan browser company, which has an office in Linköping. There I work with Opera on embedded systems used in for example TV:s and set top-boxes. The systems I see at work are pretty similar to the Raspberry Pi specs.

Apart from all nerdy stuff I love, in some random order, music, beer, photography and movies. And my girlfriend ofcourse!

Forgot about a nerdy thing.. I collect old vintage computers and video games from the 70:s and the 80:s. I really love searching for the old machines I used to read about in the papers when I was a kid!

About the Raspberry Pi I am really thrilled. I think it would be very useful for various projects I have in mind and I think it would fit as a good technical LEGO piece at various places in my home.

Well, that's about it I guess.

mark_d666

Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi, I'm Mark and i work as an engineer in a UGV (unmanned ground vehicles) group for an automotive test company. Dealing with their embedded systems (PIC's) and also embedded PC's (PC104 architecture).

Impressed by the idea of the raspberry Pi team to encourage kids to programme, well done to them and i can't wait to try one out. Already pondering if i can use a few of these for an autonomous robot with full on 3D mapping and obstacle avoidance along with an arduino for the motor controls.....hmmm.

The actual main reason i posted was to see if anyone in my area required assistance with a sort of after school computer club; i don't feel confident enough to start and run one myself but if someone's in the Nuneaton/Hinckley/East Leicestershire area then PM me if you want help with an existing club or start a new one up.

Mark

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:50 pm

mark_d666 said:

The actual main reason i posted was to see if anyone in my area required assistance with a sort of after school computer club; i don't feel confident enough to start and run one myself but if someone's in the Nuneaton/Hinckley/East Leicestershire area then PM me if you want help with an existing club or start a new one up.

Mark

Hi Mark - and welcome aboard! I think your best bet is posting this request again in the educational applications section of the forum, where you'll find a lot of teachers and parents who might be able to help you out. Keep us posted on how you get on; after-school clubs are something we at the Foundation are very keen to see get started.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

gardrek

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi! My name is Zach, but you can call me gardrek if you like. I think the Raspberry Pi is a great idea, and I think what you guys are doing is awesome. I love the idea of open source software (but not always the reality). The main reason I'm planning on getting a Pi is pretty simple: the price. You can't get anything like this anywhere else for under $100.

chrismo61

Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:49 am

Hi my name is chris

I am currently an electronics engineer in the RAF working on deployable networks. I work with routing devices, PABX, unix and windows servers. I am looking forward to getting my hands on the rasberry pi and just seeing what it can accomplish. It is an amzing device that has been created, the price puts itself in a bracket were any household can have one. It also means if you kill it you can always get another one. I am looking forward to my rasberry pi adventure.

Chris

javiertoti

Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:56 am

Hi from Spain,  I'm a xbmc and arcade cab lover waiting for my first raspberry

landru

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi, I'm Cyrille (from France).

I found your web site in an article about "how to create your own server (mail + http)". That's why I'm interested in you project : a server with low current consumption.

But I imagine lots of applications for this porject ...

Justin Webley

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:24 pm

Hello Everyone,

My name is Justin Webley and like all of you Im very excited about the PI... I work for a company that is just about ready to launch its website tgl.tv which is a community based service to help bring people together to do more of what they want in their local area.

We have so much going on right now that I'll just keep to the points which relate to the PI. We are looking to develop a cheap 'set top box' (Oh no not another one of those!) but we plan to offer a bit more than just TV or the internet.

We have produced a site which allows members to have buy and sell goods/services, swap things, take or hold a training course, manage projects and host a whole range of media such as video, pictures, music and books all in one place. Our search system is designed so you can quickly find members in you local area and make use of what they offer.

The site will make use of a new loyalty point reward system that is already being accepted in our pilot vendor shops. These points or 'L' as we call them are generated for the members as they get involved in community activities. Our current EPOS card readers are rather poor so one of my pet projects is to develop the PI into an EPOS card reader.

The other is the STB which will allow viewing of locally produced content in the comfort of your own home and be able to do you shopping online from local traders. With the use of the loyalty points your weekly shopping suddenly becomes cheaper from loacal shops than it is from a supermarket.

Its great to see so many people all wanting to do so much with the PI and I will no doubt be in touch with some of you to make use of the projects your embarking on.

The cake is a lie but the PI is true!

nick.mccloud

Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:46 pm

Hi,

I'm a self-employed desktop business apps developer with a sideline in PIC dev for the security industry. I've been hacking (the good sort) since I had a Commodore PET in my bedroom and still remember the excitement of getting a browser (Netscape 0.96) that could display pictures!

Partly work but mostly geek interest and a shared despair about the state of programming in schools has led me here.

Nick
Pico/RP2040 ≠ Arduino
Pico = hot rod kit car, Arduino = hot rod kit car wrapped in cotton wool with buoyancy aids & parachute

Tzimisce

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi there,

First i would say, i love the idea of kids geting started in programing with the R-Pi and all.

I'm Benoit from Belgium, 37 years old geek, my first computer was a Commodore 64, i've been hooked myself in computers since i'm 9 years old. i've been an Amiga user for years, and still have a working Amiga 1000 & a working Amiga 4000. I have a G4 mac mini running MorphOS aswell and some pc linux boxes. Involved in AROS community i'd like to have AROS running on the R-Pi once i get one.

Octopus

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:46 am

Well, living now in Munich I still stay programming 8x8 and 10x8 chess engines privately.

January I have terminated any further development on "SMIRF", which has been a combination of a self written GUI and a separate own chess engine. This ensemble has been based on Windows operating systems and was covering a lot of 8x8 and 10x8 chess variants like e.g. Chess960 (Fischer"s FRC) or Gothic Chess (Ed Trice"s 10x8 invention).

Having had some prior experiences with other OS like BeOS (now followed by Haiku), OS/2, Atari ST, Acorn Risc OS, Mac OS X, I would like to experience the productivity and performance on current ARM processor based OS targeting a completely redesigned new chess engine.

It would be highly welcomed, if aside to a Linux based OS on Pi there also some Risc OS or Haiku follow-up implementations would enrich the possibilities of the Pi system.

dics

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:59 pm

Hi, my name is Dumitru and i own a videoblog about electronics at : http://dics.voicecontrol.ro/

DaveWBX

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:36 pm

Hi.

Heard about the Raspberry Pi a little while back, and think it might be good to get back into embedded programming, with something that has real grunt, and a good excuse to get up to speed with 'Nix, & C/C++ etc.

I've no experience of ARM programming, have done a fair bit of Z80 in the past (Nascom II kit computer etc) some 6502, 804x, PIC, Atmel and so on, all at Assembler.  Not good at C/C++, but fair at Pascal/Delphi.

No doubt, I'll get better with C/C++ as time goes by.

Lots of idea's, lets see what happens when I get one.

Cheers.

Dave.

bocke

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi!

I am the coordinator of a small community of Slackware users in Serbia and would like to make R-Pi port a future lab project for us. It's a good way to attract technical audience and get some experience with embedded Linux along the way. R-Pi looks as a very interesting hacking project.

I have some experience with C (several small projects). Much more experience with *nix (NetBSD and various Linuxes), shell scripting and I did a bit of hacking in Perl and Python.

kriskingle

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:33 pm

hi all

My name is Krishna Vemuri, I am a doctor from India and getting here, to this post, stretches the limit of my knowledge of computers and the Internet. I haven't even peeked under the hood of a laptop, s I don't know what I am doing here, except the fact that such a thing as the Raspi could exist in this day and age and be so close to mass production is astounding. I am a person who gets a perverse pleasure out of buying cheap, local reprints of famous books off the pavement, so the idea that by supporting Raspi, I am cocking a snook at the big computer guys kind of appeals to me. Besides that, the whole idea is eminently laudable. Like you all heard already, there have been numerous attempts to create a cheap laptop or tablet in India, most of which ended with egg-on-face.

I came to this site from some other site, I forget which, that put up a list of the cheapest computers in production or soon to roll out.I don't know what I would do with a Raspi, except tinker about with it, which I think I can safely do without the price pinching my conscience.

Potted Avocado

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:18 pm

My name is Brian, I'm another forty-something refugee from the dawn of the PC Age.

I've just recently discovered the RPi, so I'm following various tutorials as fast as I can so I'll have a clue by the time the boards are ready to ship. (Three months in two weeks? Well, part of a clue, anyway.)

Petroglyph

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:46 pm

Hello everyone,

my name is Martin, I´m 18 years old and from Germany. I started learning programming in Delphi and Lua recently and learned about Raspberry Pi from a friend. Even though I´m using Windows Vista as an operating system, I´m interested in the Unix operating systems, such as Linux.

What I read about Raspberry Pi sounds very interesting to me, because I´m fascinated about rather minimalistic computers. Today´s computers seem too complicated to do some really basic programming, because at my state of learning, I don´t have to worry about resources so much. I don´t think that is good, so I see Raspberry Pi as an opportunity to learn programming and using computers at a low resource and comfort level. This way I hope, I can understand better, what computers really do.

HanTheMan

Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:03 pm

Hi everybody!

My name is Han and I've heard about the raspberry pi on a dutch Geek site! http://tweakers.net

Since I was a kid I loved computers starting with a Commodore64 to now owning an Apple Macbook.

The apple stuff is way to comfortable for me now! I want to get my hands dirty again so I can't wait to play around with the raspberry pi and get to know more people that want to do so.

johnisaacson

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:53 am

Hi, I'm john from west coast canada.

I'm retired with 49 years in electronics. I'm well into embedded devices as a hobby.

Looking forward to this device to make it's entry into Canada.

~john

quis

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:42 am

Hi I am Chris from the UK . One of the old bedroom coders from the early 80's. Cut my teeth back then on 6502 and the Z80. Was an engineer for a long while and then came back to computing in 2000. Cant wait to get my hands on this little beast ans see what she can do !

Bigwol

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi

I'm Dave, and I work in software, my interests include photography I was considering looking at the Arduino for flash photography controlled by external triggers, but heard about the RaspberryPi project, and figured that it would be worth supporting a UK based (though chinese manufactured) project.

I've dabbled in electronics - usually for mains kiln temperature controllers for my other interest - jewellery enamelling and lost wax casting. - I used a Type K thermocouple, a temperature controller with single set point and logic out, to drive a SSR which switches the mains feed to the kiln.  This achieves and holds 900 deg C within a gnats, and works well, but it's a bit basic.

While your computer seems a little sophisticated for this kind of use, I would guess it would be readily adaptable for most control applications.

I've got no experience at all on doing this kind of thing! - my earlier experience to date involved lash ups with NTC thermistors and transistors, and I was hoping this would make things a bit more professional!

If anybody can point me towards suitable (basic) information I can read up on I/O interfacing using this kind of sophisticated computer for control applications - I would be most grateful - I've heard of Python, but not used it.

Return to “General discussion”