wanye

Re: Introduce yourself!

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:32 am

hello!

names wayne. been lurking here now for a few months, but figured it was about time i joined up and said hi.

from notts, currently working as an AIX/Linux system engineer and Oracle DBA. been a geek ever since i got a zx81 for christmas, but university drove the will to code out of me, so moved more into the hardware/networking side of things. been meaning to get back into programming for a while now, and the raspi seems perfect for helping me do so. the fact it can also run xbmc is just a bonus

o19

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:10 pm

Hey,

I'm a 26 year old computer science student from Germany. I actually started to learn programming with Java command line programs at school about ten years ago, later on did some Perl on my own and ended up doing all that stuff you're allowed to do on your way to a degree in CS.

As I currently focus on finally getting that degree, my first RasPi will end up showing my friends and family how overpowered their devices are and what is actually possible with a lot less money and power consumption. I do not have anything in mind in detail, just want to get it and see what we'll be able to do.

The second RasPi later on (might be a model A) will end up controlling an RC car via Bluetooth/W-Lan (evaluation of technology and legislation to follow) with some fancy stuff like emergency brake assist, autonomous driving, conduct by wire, etc... For sure going for a Gertboard and reusing my good old arduino. If anyone is interested to share some thoughts about that one, feel free to contact me.

Finally there might be a second B to work as a small dedicated webserver, but this could also be the final destination for the first one, when I'm tired of desktop experimentation.

super-6-1

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:03 pm

Hello there 3.14 Fans

I am a beginner coder. I learned java in school but want to go on and learn other coding to advance my computer science education farther when i do go to collage for it in a year.

Also gaming is my main hobby at this moment in time as well. Im hoping to pick up the Rassberry Pi with my firend and hopes to start a new hobby for ages to come and also be a part of this amazing community.

I am 21 years of age and i am open minded to new ideas and projects if you are willing to take in a new person. I learn quick as i did with java and plan to be here for a long time. I also plan to buy two of these one for me and one for my mother so she can do basic stuff and it will allow me to also do work all around from basic stuff to advance technical GUI things

So as a new comer what can i do to get ready?

Dr.Alun

Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:39 pm

Hi All

If you're being formal I'm Dr. Alun Moon, otherwise Alun...

I've 4 kids the oldest (10 & are getting interested in computers,

the programming and building.

Not surprising, I teach Computing Science and I have a responsibility for the foundation year (pre first year) computing science.

I've been using Processing and Arduino so far, the Raspberry-PI looks fantastic.

It will fit right in with the others, open-source, open-box (you can see the parts), open-imagination.... do what you want with it.

I can't wait to get my hand's on one, then I can play, play with the kids with it, play with the students with it.... etcetc

It certainly looks like using, and maybe recommending to a few of the primary schools I know..

I'm certainly keen to get involved with it and the development/advocacy, hacking and  fritzing,

A real springboard for the imagination, or as the twins (3yrs) would say.... "3, 2, 1, liftoff... (wooshing noises)"

Alun

strimbob

Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:52 pm

hello all

i am Ben from manchester, looking forward to start programming these, I make interactives for galleys and museums,

great work/ cant wait

Best

Ben

SGNLXNDR

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:32 pm

Hello everyone! I know I'm a bit late, but I'm Sagan. I'm a 13 year-old (American) blogger (techblogzero.blogspot.com for now) who owns Tech Blog Zero. I can't help but be interested in technology, my dad is a tech consultant! I'm just now learning to program, but the only language I could accurately say I can program properly in is Arduino C. I am ashamed ;( I also know a bit of VB.net and I have a general knowledge of other .net languages. I like Linux. I LOVE Raspberry Pi. Here's proof:  http://techblogzero.blogspot.c.....-tech.html

Well, that's it. Bye!

SGNLXNDR

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:09 pm

One more thing, actually. I've met several of the people at Raspberry Pi at Maker Faire NY. You might remember me; I was wearing a Portal t-shirt. That's all.

DaleyB

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:05 pm

Hi, I'm Dale. During the working hours I'm an Oracle DBA / Technical Service Engineer, by night I like to play with all things Electronic and read. I'm sure when I finally get a piece of Pi, there will be many many hours spent on the hundreds of projects I am thinking up right now.

Sometimes I like to blog at: http://dalebetts.blogspot.com/ - This isn't actually updated as much as I'd like to.

Other than that, I spend the oter spare bit of time listening to Jazz and learning German.

vader

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:56 pm

Hi all,

better late than never. I'm Jeff and I design embedded systems (arm running debian) for a living. I'm really impressed at the bang for the buck in the raspi. I'm going to get one for my daughters to learn on (bit more powerful than the old 70s apple ][ I learnt on )

Although they have used linux since young (MS is banned in our house )  they haven't had something to play with – read: try things, oops destroyed the OS, start again. So long as they don't learn too quickly and show up their old man for a while, I'll be happy too….

Excellent work,

Jeff

Jeff Green

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:15 am

ukscone said:

Quote from liz on August 3, 2011, 21:43

Quote from ukscone on August 3, 2011, 21:40

4. I have an interest in criminolgy and computer crime and have been writing a book about it for many years and one day i"ll finish if only people would stop inventing new forms of computer crime so i could actually stop adding chapters

Eben"s first monitor had a big POLICE EVIDENCE sticker on it - it was given to him by a school friend who was the first person to be convicted under the Computer Misuse Act in the UK for hacking into…broadly speaking, everything under the sun.

I know a few of those people and there is a possibility I was one of them although if i was i would imagine i would have ceased such activities prior to that act being passed not that i am say i was or anything

I had a few things along those lines given to me by various journo friends on trade papers and the grauniad

So he is the Eben Upton from Ilkley Computing Club - I thought he might be.

Anyway as for introducing myself. I'm a now retired ex pharmacist, still playing with computers - but finding myself increasingly left behind. I haven't programmed since the days of Borland Pascal.  Now I'm off to view the rest of the forum

tazio

Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:11 pm

Hello R-Pis fans,

My name is Sylvain, I’m a french project manager working in a small company that develops software solutions for the health industry. I have been working in the IT industry for 12 years now. I’m used to working with Microsoft solutions in the professional time, but having fun with personal home automation projects under linux and arduino boards at home. I’m also very much concerned into ecology, and the absurd energy costs of the computer systems.

I’m very enthusiast for the refreshing Raspberry-Pi project, and already know how I will use mine for replacement of my home automation server. Small size and energy, cheap, and powerful!.

Great job guys, like all of us, I can’wait!

pinkladyxx

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:51 pm

Hi, my name is Katy.

I'm a software engineer writing commercial business applications (mostly financial) for the last 15 years.  I seem to find myself turning my hand to a different language every few years, whilst I still consider myself to be a java programmer, I am currently using Scala and C#.  I'm a bit of an agile evangelist, too.  It all started with BASIC on my trs-80 when I was a kid.

I've seen a distinct lack of graduates being employed over the last few years, and I'd like to see that change.  I'd also like to see more women coming into the industry.  Let's hope the Raspberry-Pi helps create an increase in imagination, enthusiasm and skills injected into our industry.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:27 pm

Welcome, Katy - nice to talk to you here as well as Twitter! Thanks for the blog posts you've written about us too; we really appreciate it. (And I think you have just upped the number of women posting here by 25%, which we also appreciate *very much indeed*.)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

libredrs

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:28 pm

I'm Dave from NYC. I use Trisquel (no non-free components) for all of my personal/work computing, but interested in the RaspPi for a few projects.

I see from the FAQ that the device Fedora, Debian and ArchLinux will be supported, but none of these are free according to http://www.gnu.org/distros/com.....stros.html

Can anyone provide information about future distributions that will run on the device as well as meet FSF criteria? That's important to me.

Thanks!

rj999

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:32 pm

Retired computer person here. Saw reference to the Raspberry on the Register, and it struck me as being possibly fun to play with for a little project I have in mind.

Worked for half my career with a large multinational computer firm, second half in higher education. Did my first professional computer hardware designs in the days when we only had discrete components to play with. Microprocessors, integrated circuits etc. didn't exist in production form!

FallChallenge

Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm Rocco, from italy.

Student at Messina's University, computer science degree..

I love play basketball,  hacking, programming and electronics.

My programming's skills:

- Python

- C

- Php

- Sql

- Html

- Css

- Javascript (with jQuery framework knowledge)

as soon as possible raspberry Pi B model's owner

cheers!

Codge

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi all! ;o)

My name is Steve. I'm a recently disabled fifty year old ex computer engineer, with an unexpected amount of time on my hands. Started BASIC programming at school in the mid seventies on an ICL 2904 via teletype and an acoustic coupler to Medway College...

Progressed to a ZX80, 81, Speccy, then an IBM Convertible "laptop", (twin 720k floppies and CGA mono LCD). Those were the days!

I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of months, and am really looking forward to getting my hands on one of these little babies. The old grey cells need some stimulation, and a teach yourself programming in Python course may be just the thing I need.

I've been using Umbongo for nearly five years, and also have a Pogoplug running Arch for SFTP, Samba, and torrenting. ;o)

I've ordered my keyboard sticker, and have an old plastic travel soap-box and Dremel at the ready for when my Pi arrives...

Niy

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:39 pm

Hi,

I'm Alex from Mannheim, Germany, and quite excited about building a HTPC based on the R-Pi.

I worked for some time at the University of Heidelberg as a supervising tutor, building and helping students build their own robots, often based on ATmegas.

Currently I'm a software engineer.

EdwinJ85

Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi, I'm Edwin - I'm a professional .net web developer who mostly works in C# or Javascript.

I'm trying to get more involved with the whole RP project because I have an intense desire to learn more about system architecture and coding in general. I know the very basics and can code a simplistic C++ console application but I feel like I lack a heck of a lot of knowledge and skills that I need to advance myself. I know nothing of Linux to be honest.

I intend to get a pi and install XMBC on it in the short term, but what would you guys recommend I do to learn more in preparation?

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to release - I just hope I manage to snag on of the first production batch.

PS: If you want a quick overview of my skill level (low!) visit my page http://edwinjones.me.uk - As you can see I can get some stuff done, but I still feel like a complete muppet at coding to be honest.
Hello!

ReCreate

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:04 pm

Hey guys, and gals. I'm known on the internet, anonymously as ReCreate, or ReCat. In the United States of America. (English is my first language)

I'm just a random guy who's interested in all things technical, Computers and all within. :> I find this Raspberry PI project to be highly interesting, It could have so many uses! I'm also a furry, as evident by my avatar, it's my personally identifiable character, like a persona, or fursona if you want. A grey anthropomorphic cat. :3

So, uh, yes. Hopefully my visit at these forums will be a good and positive experience!

liz

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:30 pm

I may have seen you, then, when I accidentally booked a room in the same hotel as FURther CONfusion in San Jose while I was attending a computer conference last year - were you there? There's nowt so likely to make you imagine your drink has been spiked as getting in an elevator to find a minotaur trying (and failing) to press the button for his floor with his front hoof.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

steev

Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:52 pm

I'm Steve, 20 years old, and a big Linux/open-source fan.

Not much of a programmer yet, just some python and shell scripting, but I do enjoy tinkering with computers.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on an R-Pi

ReCreate

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:57 pm

liz said:

I may have seen you, then, when I accidentally booked a room in the same hotel as FURther CONfusion in San Jose while I was attending a computer conference last year – were you there? There's nowt so likely to make you imagine your drink has been spiked as getting in an elevator to find a minotaur trying (and failing) to press the button for his floor with his front hoof.

No. xD I haven't yet gone to any Fur Cons. If you meant that. nor have i been in that location.

SirGallivant

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:38 pm

Hello there, I'm Eddie your ships....

Sorry, wrong button. I am Henrik, from Denmark. Got wind of this little very interesting project via a friend in Belgium.

I have a background in air traffic services, changed lanes and finished a Advance Computer Studies course in 2008, still looking for work....

Apart from IT and gadgets, I am interested in cooking and photography, and more or less any interesting subject that crosses my monitor.

I will likely try out the Raspi as a HTPC, webserver, printserver, possibly somthing for the car, like entertainment and navigation, depending on what displays I can find at low cost for such use. Would be good if I can use the 7" touchscreens I already have.

I also have a few 10.4" 640x480 touch displays, but as they are strictly VGA, they are probably not really usable with this board. Could make nice control panels for various fun projects.

Now I am impatiently waiting for the shout that the shop's open for business, and when I get my filthy little hands on a Raspi, I will likely disappear into my den and tinker until the family screams for dinner to be made

frivolutionary

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:50 am

Hello! I first read about the Raspberry Pi a few months back and thought it was a good concept, better then the OLPC project because you can get your hands dirtier =).  I didn't think it would come to fruition so soon but now that it's getting closer to launch I'm really looking forward to experimenting with one.

Return to “General discussion”