adam.prescott

Re: Introduce yourself!

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi,

My name is Adam, I've have been programming and playing with computers from a very young age. I finished college a year ago after studying a BTEC ND IT Prac. and I decided to start my own business doing software development and systems integration.

I came across the RasPi on BBC News and ever since then, the idea's I've had for it have excited me and inspired me for future projects.

E.g. I recently programmed/designed a Fire/Security Monitoring System where the RasPi would have fit perfectly for it but I ended up using one of these instead :/

Though one thing I am wondering about the RasPi is, How long will you be limiting orders to one per person? I'd like to order one for Personal Use, Dev Ideas and Business Use.

Thanks,
Adam.

abishur

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Hi Adam, from what the r-pi team has told us, the limit will be in place for the first batch, though I personally hope that they limit it for the first couple batches.  Last count had something like 100K people interested in this product (this counts people on the mailing list, forums, and twitter).  Even if you assume that 50% of those people are duplicates (I.E. both on the mailing list and the forum) that means there are 50K out there wanting a board.  Sure the turn around time after the first batch will be quick, but it would be nice if poor buyer #49,999 could get a board before buyer #10 buys up an entire batch for a mass marketing idea of his own.

Regardless of my 2 cent answer the only information we have at this point is the first batch.  For information beyond that, there are threads a plenty in the forum discussing this
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

RemoteFlyer

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:53 pm

Hi.

I have been a computer enthusiast from the age of 7 when I received my first computer, a Commodore VIC20.

I spent my youth trying to copy badly printed code from magazines and doing things writing z80 assembly to improve the speed that programs were read from audio tape.  I also remember blowing a few spectrum 128 etc by putting my fingers within an inch of the exposed curcuit board that was known as the "Expansion Port".

This RPi project has really inspired me and the forum has brought back so many memories of hacking 40pin CPU's and chips with "legs" that were big enough for me to actually see with my own eyes.

Well done to the RPi team for your work.  I now hope to inspire my children with this new RPi platform and have a few ideas to get them involved in robotics.

Mike, Manchester, UK.

camb416

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi, I'm Cameron, Exhibition Software Dev. at the American Museum of Natural History. I'm something of a jack-of-all-trades here, and often my responsibilities drift from doing Computer Vision systems to designing electronics and PCBs, to management of AV systems.

This product could potentially be very very disruptive in my work, and drop the cost of much of the hardware I use by a ridiculous factor. By using open standards in more of our pieces, we could really ratchet up our work.

Can not wait to get my hands on one (or a hundred)!

C

WereCatf

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:51 pm

I'll just copy my introduction from my Google+ profile:

A pansexual gamer chick who loves RPG games the most, though doesn't shy away from occasional slaughter of innocents or helping the walking dead become permanently non-walking ones.

General interests include obviously gaming and as should be evident from my posts it also includes all kinds of topic related to computers and computing. Also medical research, copyrights and basic human rights, morals and ethics, angry EBM music, and movies; I have likely seen closer to a thousand movies in my life so far and I'm still not satisfied. Oh, and female breasts are included too, you mustn't forget those. Male breasts aren't nearly as enticing.

-------------------------------------------

As for why I am interested in RPi? Well, I am planning to make it into an HTPC, attach a USB game pad to it for emulators, and I have a few projects in mind that I'll start working on once I get my dirty mitts on the actual hardware.

martk20

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:05 am

Hi my name is Martin I am retiring in April this year (2012). I have spent 50 years working as an electrical engineer in manufacturing . For the past 30 years I have spent most of my time at work programming plcs.

I am married and have 3 children. All 3 have moved on and made their own way in life.

I spend a lot of my spare time at my computer. Which is a 5 year old desktop made by myself and runs on opensuse linux.

I am looking for a project to do during my retirement. Developing Raspberry pi into a tablet looks to just what I am after.

JoeRose

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:49 am

My name is Joe and although I'm now in my 40s, I am very keen to get hold of a Raspberry Pi and experiment with it.

Three things I'd like to do:

1) Get a whole-house media centre setup running using the XBMC setup shown in one of the video posts.

2) I'm an ECM consultant by trade these days, so would like to get J2EE ECM stack running, but need some more MEMORY. Has anyone got plans for a daughter board that extends the memory capabilities ? I'll make a request - can we have a daughter board with 8 DIMM slots please (somebody will know how to do this).

3) I hope that my daughter, who is now nearly 8, will get the same buzz from this as I did when a BBC model B, Sanyo cassette recorder and 12" black and white TV arrived in our house on September 16th 1983 ...

BBC Computer 32K

BASIC

>

...anyone else remember that day ?

I do hope that this really has the 'legs to get out there' and into schools. The MS Office proficiency thing is still important, but has to be aligned with literacy and numeracy - it's now a basic skill for ANY office work, and even for people that end up with 'practical-type' jobs, they still need to answer an email, write a letter, draw things etc. .... but this ISN'T computing science, and this is what I was introduced to from 1982, first on the RML 380Z with CPM/86 and then soon after on BBC Model B machines.

I hope that someone will get a Java 2 EE runtime environment going and also a decent, easy to use C++ compiler. I think we might then have the springboard for the next generation of talented programmers to come out of the UK and other locations.

I hope the launch day will soon be here...

__-_-_-__

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi all!
I'm a baker.
I love pies. and I like pc's and I like getting good stuff for little money and I like modding things and this just seams the right place for me.
I've dozens of ideas to add a pie in.

citakis

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:57 pm

Hello to everyone,

I live in Greece and I am 31 years old. I work as a chemistry teacher in my local hischool. My hobby is python programming (although I am in novice level yet) and building electronics with arduino in which I am getting better day by day.

I am really excited about arduino because it opens oportunities to use it for hobby and at work. I have already considered many projects in which I could use it.

This project I believe that fulfills many peoples wishes including mine but I didn't have the ability to do it by myself so I will try to support the project as much as I can.

JoeDaStudd

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:59 pm

Hi,

I'm a computer technician come web developer based in the UK.

I started programming/coding about 6 or 7 years ago which started with making basic homebrew (lua) games for the original PSP.

As that platform started to dwindle I started on coding/scripting websites which helped land me my job. From there I've toyed with various other non-web languages as well as honing my php and general web coding.

I heard about the Raspberry Pi from the transfersummit site while I was researching RepRap (my Prusa is almost complete ).

I've been keeping an eye on the project since and I'm hoping I'll be able to use the Raspberry Pi as a low cost, low power usage RepRap host and gcode generator. Of course I'd also like to use another model B as a htpc (my current one is uATX which is far too large for my liking).

mdewey

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:36 pm

I am Michael Dewey and I work as a statistician. Using computers since paper tape and punched cards and interested in learning more about Linux.

Sragir

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:38 am

Hello everyone,

I'm Sragir, a 46 years old male, married to a lovely wife, 2 daughters and living in the Netherlands. Love to read scifi and fantasy and playing EVE Online since 2004.

I've no experience in programming or coding, but I'm very interested in computers. And I can do simple things like formatting, installing new OS, or changing a graphic card. I call myself a user, cause I use programms, which are developed by others. Like for instance XBMC on my old xbox1.

While searching on the internet for a standalone mediaplayer where XMBC can be ported to, I stumbled upon the Scale 10X-expo video, showing the Raspberry Pi and my jaw dropped . First thing that ran through my mind was, I want that. And because of that  I finally arrived here

I can't wait to buy one, and it might even get me to learn more things like coding and Linux. And maybe to get my eldest daughter interested in computer technology.

Thank you, Raspberry Pi Foundation, for this marvelous idea.

kf2qd

Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:19 am

I am a 53 year old electronics tech who has been tormenting computers since 1978 and too much time spent with a TRS-80. Got a degree in computer programming and Electronics Technology in 1990. Spent a number of years programming PLC (AllenBradley, Omron and Siemens(yuck...)).

Now working for a television station as an assistant engineer, meaning I try to keep all the pieces working so we can sell advertising.

Found out about the RasberryPi on the Arduino forums.

My thought for a RaspberryPi is to build one into a USB keyboard along withthe necesary other piecesso they could be used by schools (or a school) in Matamoros Mexico. Kids in High School there have no access to computers in schools and they could use any technology and training to give them some tools they could use to support themselves and their families in the future.

Orion4874

Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:21 am

Hi guys, the name's Chris and I've been lurking around here for a while. I joined the forums back in July but never posted so I figured I would finally stop and say hi as the shipping date is drawing near.

I work as an X-Ray repair tech and I'm also going to school for network administration.

I'm a fanatic for anything open source so the Raspberry Pi is right up my alley. As to what I'd use it for I'm not 100% sure. Most likely a pocketable emulation machine and media player but who knows what else I'll decide to do down the road!

I'm waiting for the Pi and the Pandora to arrive, looks like the Pi's going to win that race huh?

Prometheus

Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:28 am

Hey Orion! Nice to see you over here, too!

birillo_w

Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:46 pm

uhh... sorry for the wrong place...

Hi ppl, I"m from italy and I"ve discovered your project 2 weeks ago… I like your project and I hope to canuse it tosolve some problems in my work…

I"m a theatre/video/congress technician and I want use your lil raspberry to make some countdown screen, to play external media with a simple interface in some temporary multimedia totem and things like that…

hoping to be one of first 10000 lucky buyers of first production Raspberry Pi!!!

(and sorry for my bad english…)

jackassplus

Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:08 pm

I'm Cory. After a good long lurk, I'm hopping on. Never done any work with ARM other than an abortive try at iPhone I plan on using this platform to learn ARM and X and GL_ES and possibly assembly. w00t

jstout

Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:06 pm

I'm John Stout (and not very imaginative when it comes to thinking of usernames!)

I teach computing A-level at a sixth form college.

In my late 50s I've been programming since I was about 17. First program was in ALGOL on an Elliott 801(?), then BASIC on DEC PDP8s and FORTRAN on an ICL 1900 at Sussex University, Ferranti Argus assembly and ALGOL 68-R at Liverpool University, Commodore PET (6502 assembler, Pascal, BASIC and LISP), PCs (starting with a Ferranti!) running Turbo Pascal initially, then graduating to VB.NET (which we use for teaching), via exposure to Oberon, Erlang, Haskell, Python, Scheme, Smalltalk, BYOB, T-SQL for the other part of my day job …

I'm desperate to get my hands on a Raspberry Pi, and so are a lot of my students (I've been offering the keyboard stickers as prizes in programming competitions).

I'd like to get my grandchildren (4, ranging from 5 to 16, with another due in June) interested in programming. I don't know if the Raspberry Pi will do it, but I'm hopeful (apart from the new one, who will grow up being indoctrinated that there is only one true fruit and that is the Apple!).

acmbc68

Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:24 pm

Hi – I'm Augusto.

In my 40's, and have been programming since Apple II/PDP 11 (Not as long as John but not far and/or different – Z80/6502/8080-5 back then) days….

I live and work between Portugal and Brazil and am really stoked about the Raspberry pi for a projects involving the "internet of things" – especially home and energy management (one of my lines of work – energy efficiency and renewable energy).

Cheers to all!

Augusto

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi Augusto (and everyone else) - and welcome to the forums! The mailing list form is at the top right of the main page.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Orion4874

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:12 am

Hey Pro, good to see you as well and congrats on being one of the top posters here. I've seen a few of the Panda crowd over here which is great, it's always good to see some familiar faces, so to speak!

Prometheus

Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:55 pm

Orion4874 said:

Hey Pro, good to see you as well and congrats on being one of the top posters here. I"ve seen a few of the Panda crowd over here which is great, it"s always good to see some familiar faces, so to speak!

Oh gods, I didn't even notice that.

Definitely nice to see some familiar faces - I spotted some posts by Pickle here the other day, too.

Stringer

Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:43 pm

Hello,

I#m Martyn, 22, and I currently work in the web-hosting industry.

I have held an internal interest in Computing since messing around with my Father's old Olivetti 286 computer as a young 'un – which was used at the time to design UPVC windows and conservatories, as well administrate his business.

I'm primarily interested in Raspberry Pi for three reasons:

1) Evaluating the performance of web-applications on the device, primarily in-order to gauge a comparison to low end VPS solutions.

2) ICE – In Car Entertainment.

3) Using the device as kindling for low-level programming.

jstout – I'm pretty sure I was a beneficiary of your teaching skills 6/7 years ago, when I passed through KGV

acmbc68

Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:08 pm

liz said:

Hi Augusto (and everyone else) - and welcome to the forums! The mailing list form is at the top right of the main page.

Thanks Liz - managed to figure it out (duh!).

I'll be sure to remind you of the (promised) get-together after launch in Cambridge - haven't been there in a while.

Used to work with a GIS Company based in Cambridge (Smallworld), and have great memories from there!

Cheers,

Augusto

ceti331

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:18 am

games coder

Programming history:-

ZX81 -> BBC Micro -> Commodore Amiga -> PC -> various consoles for work-> modern platforms

Great to see a non x86 "home computer" again !

Linux on a minimalist ARM box has definite appeal to me, along with the underlying philosophy.

Return to “General discussion”