dcrim

Re: Introduce yourself!

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:49 pm

Hi, all!

My name is Dave and I've been using the moniker "dcrim" (occasionally dcrim99" when I must use a longer one) for many years online. My yahoo email has no numbers - that should tell you how long I've been around! :)

I've worked with DEC systems for many years and finally got my own PC in the early '90s (a '486 @ 50MHz flat out, not DX2).

I'm currently in the electronic sign business but I've been an electronic technician and programmer since about high school age. A coworker told me about the raspberrypi and I found this place!

I'm very much looking forward to actually getting my hands on one. Even my wife (a sales manager) wants one to play with. :)

Looking forward to getting to know a lot of you.

1) Live long and prosper
2) it ain't illegal until you're caught
3) etc. :)

Dave

dcrim

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:52 pm

Sorry about that...my first post got sent too soon and I don't see a "delete" option...

Dave

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:25 pm

No probs - I've done it for you. 8)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

peregrino

Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:05 am

Hi, all!
My name is Hernán, but I usually go by "peregrino" on the interwebs. I live in Argentina (South America), and I love computers as much as drinking mate ;)

I also contribute and spend a considerable amount of my time with another foundation, Mozilla. I really care about open source, net freedom and community, so you'll see my ideals kind of align. I mostly do coding (addons and firefox internals stuff), but also some engagement here in the hispanic community.

Finally, I love to tinker with stuff, and try out new things. I see the raspi has a lot of potential beyond charity-related things, as every friend I told about it automatically said "I want one... at least."! I'm looking forward to see this as the arduino for software enthusiasts, as you'll be able to have a linux box for just $35!

peregrino

Galaak

Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi,

My name is Nicolas, I'm a French programmer in digital special effects. I was working in Paris before and now I live in London for 5 years. Like many people I find the R-Pi concept amazing. I'm really impatient to get one.

Short version:

I'm interested in creating learning material about programming and how computers work. I've been taught about programming when I was a kid and now I feel it's my turn to explain. The R-Pi will enable me to use a standardized cheap hardware, because it's really hard to create any course for kids if you have no idea of what computer they use.

Long version:

I started programming at 9 using a Commodore PET in the garage of my friend. His father was a programmer and taught me BASIC and basics about binary numeral system and how computers work inside. He changed my life.

After I had my own computer : a CPC 6128, followed by an ATARI 520 STF, Amiga 500, PC, PC, PC, PC, too many PCs ...

I was lucky to understand things quickly and school was easy for me. But I was bored at school because of that, until I found something cool to do : to explain to my friends what they did not understand during the lessons.

I studied computer science and engineering in telecommunications in France. I started to work as programmer in a digital effect studio. It was so exciting to work on movies and I was lucky again to work on projects like Fight Club or Matrix 2/3. My first R&D boss was really brilliant and taught me basic principles of professional engineering. He changed my career.

When I started to work I was anxious I would need to improve 200% my engineering skills to avoid to be flooded with all the technologies used in these studios. But the truth is, the bottleneck is the communication difficulties between engineers and artists. And I earned respect by doing my best to create useful tools of course, but also by taking a lot of time to explain how to use the programs I wrote and listening what I should improve.

I also mentored young programmers to fill the gap between programming at school and programming as a daily job. I like to mentor young programmers, you trade your "wisdom and experience" for their knowledge of the last technologies they studied and you don't have time to look at. It's beneficial for both sides.

Now I have my own software company and we develop programs used by visual effects and video game studios to create models from photos or videos. Being father now, I think it's time to think about the next generation. I hope I can teach some stuff about computer using the R-Pi platform.

Thanks again to the R-Pi team for this wonderful concept of having a complete low cost computer kids can use and break. I apologize by advance because I'll probably break some too :-)

Nicolas

joe.dytrych

Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:18 pm

Last edited by joe.dytrych on Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alisdairv

Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:57 pm

Hi,
I'm a Computing BSc student on placement Symfony developing. Hoping to maybe move to integrated technologies etc after this year. Very excited about the launch of the Raspberry Pi and the opportunity to be able to participate with developing the functionality of this very elegant device.
AV

SoloDev

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:28 am

Hi!

I am an amature/Freelance programmer. I have been writing code since i was 13, started off with QBasic, and have released a lot of Windows freeware. Currently I am obsessed with .Net, but I am getting a liking for Java, thanks to Minecraft.

I Live in the same state that RedHat is in, in America, so it is my favorite Linux distro, and have been using Linux since early 2000. I would love to be able to fully leave Windows, but there is always something that holds me back, but with this Raspi, i can finally have a dedicated Linux machine!

gfmoore

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:30 am

I am a comp sci tutor at an International School at Keele uni in UK.

I first programmed a PDP-8 in Basic on paper tape when at school in 1977, then in Fortran IV using punched cards on a CDC something at an aircraft factory. I bought a ZX80, built it and when I couldn't do proper animation sold it. I then couldn't afford a home computer and missed out on that (and gaming) , but I worked on PC Clones and the first Apple Macs and then got into Business Analysis and Analyst/programming as well as hardware installations - yes rs232 cable and a crimping tool - oh those were the days.

Then I decided to teach maths at school.

When I recovered from that...

And now I teach basic computing. Can't think of a better job really :)

Looking forward to messing about with the pi.

serge

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:18 am

Hi, I'm Serge, a french computer scientist and artist. i've been playing with computers since 81 and i kept my love for developping software. I've been working for many years in the internet field for some start-up then for some big companies.

For some time i am fed up with the complexity of modern computer, and i feel like reverting to smaller piece of equipement. i want the job done without too many flashing tricks that divert me from the job to be done, whether it is typing a text, developping or wathing a movie.

To give you an idea i have abandonned openoffice for my documents and revert to ascii + asciidoc for nicer html outputs.

This approach goes along with my personnal evolution as a taoist : simpler is better. Less is More would say some designer.

Now you start to understand why i am interested in this project :-) I want a small reliable computer that i can power with some batteries or solar cells, and that i can program in python or in rebol (i haven't choosen yet) to do only what i need.

That will also be a good way to introduce my elder son (9 years old) to programming.

I am also an artist and i carve in stone my knowledge of the i ching. You can see some of my art here : http://jiazhuang.name
And yes you can see i'm going into minimal but intense !

abradford

Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:53 pm

Hey I'm Adam
I'm a web developer / programmer / sandal enthusiast. I live in Florida. I heard about Raspberry Pi several months ago on slashdot. I would use the Raspberry Pi everywhere a credit card sized computer would be needed! Great idea, can't wait to use one.

emmanuelgranatello

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi, I'm Emmanuel, a italian Qt developer.
this is my little contribution to an amazing project:
[embed][/embed]

zebo-the-fat

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi,
I just found out about this project, I am amazed at the size (or lack of it!) and the results you can get from it. I was involved in printed circuit board production and testing for many years (multi-layer, flexible & flexi-rigid boards) now I work in IT, mainly involved in printer-scanner-copiers and networking solutions. My first involvement in computers was the old Acorn Electron (I couldn't afford the BBC micro!) then moved on to various IBM clones starting with an 8088 processor now worked up to a 6 core beasty! At the moment I have 6 computers in the house most dual boot windoze/linux and one windoze/hackintosh, I am looking forward to adding (at least one) of these machines to the zoo. Just a thought, has anyone thought about linking a number of these together to increase the power??
Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

vishnu

Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:38 am

Hi,

This is Vishnu from Chennai, India. I got sticky with computers at the age of 16. My first PC was running a 32 MB RAM on a proprietary OS (Easy to guess). I started programming in COBOL, Java, Python etc... when I came to my work (Yes, typical Indian IT service). My interest with GNU/Linux, Open Source etc... started when I was doing my Engg. course. I kept following with the different flavors of GNU/Linux from our local LUG (ILUGC).

My interest on Open hardware, Open Embedded , PCB etc. started recently (some 2 years before, I guess). Actually, I am planning to assemble an HTPC for my home using the standard x86 ATX stuff running GNU/Linux, but I came across this PandaBoard after its support for Android 4. Then I started looking into the ARM stuffs... then came Beagleboard, Beagleboard-XM, Beaglebone.. When I was finally hit with the Raspberry PI bug I decided to settle for it... I never felt it would be possible to get an ARM PC @ 25$..

Will Raspberry PI be shipped to Chennai, India... Any idea..

Eagerly waiting to get hands on my first ARM with Raspberry PI (Already hacked my MIPS based Ralink SOC on my Asus Router RT-N136 by running DD-WRT) ........................... :)

hstubbs3

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:17 am

Hey,

Stuck in Utah for now. Originally from NJ..

Just drooling over the stuff this board looks capable of. Decided I need one, although for now thinking mostly for more linux experience and as a secondary computer for the living room..

nichobb

Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:13 pm

Hello forum.

I'm aiming to get an introduction into linux from the R-Pi and have a project in mind, which I'll flesh out before posting.

I'm a manager of a few teams but really just want to be a developer, like a parent who gave up their ambition I live those dreams through my staff. I like writing scripts for automation, especially ones which save time and seemlessly help, an aspect of my job I do because I enjoy.

I've been doing some silly hours for a while and need something simple but engaging to occupy my mind when at home.

mahadevan

Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:46 pm

Hi
This is GSS Mahadevan from Bangalore.

Congratulation for the making the device at such lower price and with good CPU-power/memory.

I am excited about this computer. I would like use this in my home automation tasks . I have few PIC USB based PIC18F14K50 (which costs hardly ~ 1.5$). I will write open source device drivers at Linux and corresponding firmware in PICs to make a cheap/less-power-hungry Data-Acquisition system.

Originally I was planning use wire-based connectivity Rs-485), but dropped the idea, cables have to be lied across home. Though I had tried with ZigBee sensors, cost of setup/system would be heavy for a practical deployment (for the time being). One possible cheap wireless option is 6.6$ Bluetooth-modulehttp://www.dealextreme.com/p/wireless-bluetoot ... dule-80711. But I will have a peer-to-peer network sensors. At present there are no cheap WiFi modules that can be connected to a MCU.

So this Raspberry-Pi opens up a new/cheap/low-power way do the home(or any other )-data-acquisition-system.

A network Raspberries would be used in secured Wi-Fi network and a bunch of PICs (at near bye locations points) would do the Data-acquisitions part and connect with Raspberry-Pi via USB cables(/hub).

Waiting eagerly for ordering few Raspberries.

regards

mahadevan

Signs

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:35 pm

Hello, well let me tell you something all of the developers of the Raspberry Pi. I have got a deal for you. I plan on buying 100 of the Raspberry Pi's with wifi. ($35) I will buy one to begin with to get the os system correct, and test it for 30 days or so to see if it meets my needs, and if it does I will buy 100 of them to begin with, and will be a continual buyer. If this little computer will meet the very limited needs that I want, I will also donate them in the future to schools or individuals that teach Linux and/or web development. I find it almost deplorable that there is so little education opportunities available for the teaching of web programming or Linux in a classroom setting in the U.S. I don't believe that you should have to attend a university for 4 year degree in computer science to be able to learn PHP, Ruby on Rails or simple html among others. (And the truth is that you still have to learn it on your own). This kind of learning needs to be interesting and available to people that only have a limited education. Web development or Linux programming does not need a background in c+ etc. If it was really needed you would not be finding some of the best developers that are still in High School, and making money doing it. When I need to have something done, I need to ask to make sure the coder is old enough to enter a contract if need be. I just think of how many more there will be if they can get a $25 computer. I believe in what you are all are doing, and if you meet my very limited needs for a computer I will do my best to hold up my end of the deal. I am not rich, but with the Raspberry Pi, I am sure I will be successful in a short period of time. I am someone that is so very worried that these will never come to market, because I am one that is really on depending on you all succeeding at this. I am 54 years old, and these are bigger to me than an IPad, Playstation or an Android phone. I am like a child at Christmas.
I should also add that do you all realize how this is going to stimulate the economy worldwide? I really think that this alone will do a lot more than you all realize.

abishur

Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:55 am

The r-pi does not have wifi. The $35 version comes with a a wired ethernet jack.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

mahadevan

Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:18 am

Abishur,

Thanks for the reply.
I know that both r-pi models does not have WiFi. But I am planning to put a USB-WiFi-Dongle.
AFAIK, all latest linux distros do recognize the USB-WiFi-Modules. Do you see any problems in having WiFi like this for r-pi (because of any device driver issues )?

So my solution should work in 25$ and 35$ models.

antiloquax

Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:43 am

I am a teacher and I am going to get a Raspberry Pi with the intention of buying several to start up a programming club at work.
I am a Linux user (at present using Debian as a dual boot with Windoze on my desktop and Wary Puppy 5.2.2 on my (t)rusty old laptop).

Signs

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:23 pm

So, I am guessing that the wifi dongle will work in either version? Now knowing that most Linux distros will work, I am guessing that I can start today on setting up a Linux os that will work today rather than waiting. I am assuming that most Linux distros (like Damn Small Linux) will work on either version. Maybe someone could suggest the best usb wifi dongle that would be best to use with the R-pi.

liz

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:34 pm

Lots of stuff about wifi dongles and distros elsewhere in the forums, Signs - dig in and have a look around! :)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

obarthelemy

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:39 pm

Yes, USB wifi dongles will work with both Model A and B, as long as they have a corresponding driver (needs to be ARM, and needs to be compatible with the distro/kernel you're using). Most mainstream dongles should work, but as a precaution there's a list of tested ones in the Wiki, which I'm sure will expand quickly once the first batch of Pis gets out.

Skygod

Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:52 pm

Quote from Signs on November 19, 2011, 20:35
...I don't believe that you should have to attend a university for 4 year degree in computer science to be able to learn PHP, Ruby on Rails or simple html among others. (And the truth is that you still have to learn it on your own).

Fully agree!

Basic PhP / MySQL / Apache configuration understanding and some HTML teaching = a website (which is something tangible that can be shown off to friends). They'll want to do something better, so you get a development cycle building.

Then someone will want to develop some flashy 'feature', so they'll swot up on Java / Javascript to make their site 'better'.

It's all about stimulating the interest and seeing what happens.

My leaning is to use Fedora as the Linux distro for the RPi(s) as the CLI syntax will be similar to many of the web hosts that tend to use either RedHat or CentOS as their OS of choice.

Return to “General discussion”