hamster

Re: Introduce yourself!

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:16 am

Hi, I'm Mike Field, aka "Hamster" at most of my on-line haunts.

Like most people here I grew up during the 8bit era and am insanely curious about computing. ZX81, Spectrum, VIC20, C64...

I'm also a long time Linux user, installing from floppy images that arrived on Infomagic CDROMs. Currently do a bit of Arduino and FPGA hacking. Silly little things like porting TinyBASIC to run on the Arduino, and am currently filling in my time by reimplementing my favourite arcade game (Crystal Castles) in VHDL as and when when time and family allows. I have a big interest in compiler design, and would be really keen to help if anybody needs a "little language" knocked up.

Can program /have programmed in most languages (C, C++, Assembler, Perl, PL/1, Cobol, Delphi, yada, yada, yada)

Sadly my only child is severely disabled (4 years old, only just learnt to sit up, no communication other than selecting between two choices on an iPad app), so I doubt I can ever pass on the "joy of geek" to him, but I have high hopes that I can use a RaspPi in some sort of assistive communication technology device for him. But I have to give a shout out to the BBC - he thinks that "In the Night Garden" rocks!

I'm over in New Zealand, and am so much looking forward to getting hold of a few RaspPi - hopefully in time for Christmas!

Eaglewarrior

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:10 am

Hi Peoples,
My name is Tom, and I'm an American ex-pat living in Mexico. I'm currently retired, being a Pharmacist and have worked in that profession for over 50 years. I'm a little ( hah) older than most of you it seems, and have been interested in computers since they only came as parts in a box and were programmed with switches, not keyboards. I've had so many machines that I've basically lost count ( and that includes a Timex-Sinclair 80 I bought in a candy store for $89 for the "kids"). Taught myself how to program after taking 3 sesions of "computer programming" at night, at a local NY City college adult learning course and found that I knew more than the guy teaching the course.
I'm a voracious reader with over 3,000 e-books in my library, I'm a great cook (or so I'm told), love to hack and build things, especially now that I have the time. I buy parts from whoever is nice enough to ship to Mexico at a reasonable rate, like Evilmad scientist, where I bought a bunch of Larsen scanner kits to build and give out to some local kids (they've heard of Knight Rider and Cylons even here in Mexico). I luvs me some Arduino also, getting my parts from Adafruit industries.
Current projects include building a home entertainment system from a couple of old laptops being converted to updated desktops (only for movies which I love, and not TV which I can't stand because it's a waste of time), and I'm building some CBG (cigar box guitars) from a stash of old Jack Daniels tins I found (Mexico, after all is the land of the guitar).
BTW, I believe in free and open sourced with a passion, as in "Free as in beer" or Libre Versus Gratis . KKnowledge SHOULD be free.

raffy

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:04 pm

Welcome, Tom. I wonder how many of your ebooks can be freely shared. They can find home in an R-Pi SD card.

Nutmeat

Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:17 am

Greetings, Raspi world.

My gov name is Paul. I'm a professional engineer and digital hobbiest. I like drinking beer, and I believe efforts spent on improving energy efficiency are the best you can expend.

Raspi is the start of something huge, I hope, because it's simple, elegant, efficient, and capable.

I've never eaten a Jaffa cake, or gone sky diving. I believe in human rights, and in the value of education. I believe in the Raspberry-Pi.

I think what Eben and the entire crew is doing is noble, and I hope others will see how important this project is.

May it be the catalyst that it promises to be.

kme

Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:35 am

Quote from Nutmeat on November 1, 2011, 04:17
Greetings, Raspi world.

My gov name is Paul. I'm a professional engineer and digital hobbiest. I like drinking beer, and I believe efforts spent on improving energy efficiency are the best you can expend.

Raspi is the start of something huge, I hope, because it's simple, elegant, efficient, and capable.

I've never eaten a Jaffa cake, or gone sky diving. I believe in human rights, and in the value of education. I believe in the Raspberry-Pi.

I think what Eben and the entire crew is doing is noble, and I hope others will see how important this project is.

May it be the catalyst that it promises to be. Normally I never join these "introduce yourself" schemes. I don't have a facebook account either. But Nutmeat's profile and opinion is 100% identical to mine if you switch "Paul" with "Michael"

ObsidianEagle

Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi, I'm Alex. I'm 14 years old, but recently I've gotten really fascinated with tech. my friend always talked about the raspberry pi but i never really cared. 1 time I was bored so decided to look it up and I was just AMAZED. seeing as the higher-end model is £22, this will be an instant Christmas ask for me :)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:36 pm

No Jaffa Cakes? You people haven't lived.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:54 pm

For those in the colonies LU Pims are sort of like Jaffa cakes but not as jaffa-licious and they are harder to peel too :(

ObsidianEagle

Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:00 pm

Praise be the Jaffas!

Bacan

Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:22 pm

Ok. Another reason to go to the UK.

Jaffa Cakes to be on the menu for the 10 Million'th R-Pi served party.

Party to be held at Wembley Stadium, a 90,000-capacity venue.

Ticket proceeds to go to 3rd World R-Pi units.

gbl08ma

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:01 pm

Quote from Bacan on November 1, 2011, 18:22
Party to be held at Wembley Stadium, a 90,000-capacity venue.
Ticket proceeds to go to 3rd World R-Pi units.

You pay for the stadium rental, OK?
[0,3 sec delay]
...I'm sure you'll agree. Asking wasn't even needed. :D

clivef

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:01 pm

Jaffaless? Do not despair!. A simulacrum of the mighty Jaffa of course, but a pretty decent effort.

Eaglewarrior

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Quote from JamesHardiman on October 25, 2011, 09:46
Re: Too auld for Facebook: I'm going on 64: http://www.facebook.com/profil.....=742983483.

Most of my 1000+ "friends" are my side of 45, and quite a few of them I know personally ;o)

Too "OLD" ?????, Hell man, I'm 64 also and just found out recently that I'm not too old! I'm on FB too.

kolin23

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:42 pm

Hi all,
I'm Kolin, very new to Linux but have been following RP since i first saw the prototype.
Needless to say an amazing device and (as all) cant wait to get hold of one. I am based near London,UK and am busy cooking a fair few uses for the RP device.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:00 pm

JamesHardiman

Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:03 am

I always did think that RP was a great project, but this Jaffa-Cake thing has taken it to a whole new level! Liz, you're someone who knows about gastronomy; can't you come up with a raspberry-flavoured simulacrum of the Jaffa cake? Red jelly (Americans: what we call jelly you call jello; what you call jelly we call jam) and raspberry jam.

I've been giving much thought as to what we could call such a confection ... wait a mo! I have it!

A Raspberry Pie!

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:07 am

pims come in a raspberry flavoured variety

Mr_Navigator

Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:30 am

Hello, just stumbled across this thread. I'm from London, real name is Lee, I blog and post under this avatar name as well around the web, it came from my CB handle in the early 80s which is fitting with my keen interest in retro (specifically) Sinclair QL and passion for SuperBASIC programming language that came with it. I am hoping to initially use a QL emulator under Linux running on the RasPi, its memory of 256Mb would be ideal for this allowing masses of software to be used, compiled and written. Cannot wait to get my hands on a device.

erest

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:56 am

Hello, my name is Braden, I'm from Seattle Washington and am still a high school student. I can program (not very well) in C and java. Am also A+ and have my DC certification and am working on my AC I plan on going into electrical engineering. Anything with electricity is what i love so it is no surprise that i have been using linux since i can remember. I know of so many applications for this device i'm not sure where i am going to begin but am ecstatically awaiting the arrival!

AgentSmith

Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:17 pm

Hi. I'm Rob and I've been playing around with computers since I got my Vic-20, aged 13...which is a few years ago now ;-)
I came up the Acorn route of BBC B through to Risc PC, and taught myself to program along the way. It has proven to be a good foundation, and allowed me to write a freeware MIDI file player, called Monolith, back in the mid-90s for the Acorn community. It's also opened up chances to work on some pretty interesting projects from rocket engines to video games and mobile phones. I finally defected to Unix when Apple brought out MacOS 10.2 in the early Noughties, and am currently tinkering with Ubuntu and embedded Linux.
Raspberry Pi sounds like a great idea to me: a cheap machine that allows a modern generation to understand computers and explore programming.
Count me in. I'd love to get involved.

Skygod

Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:00 am

Hi,

I've been around on the forum for just over a month know since I stumbled across it while searching for something completely different :-)

My name is George and my boardname has been used from way back (Compuserve days).

I've mainly been employed in Hardware Support / OS Support / Network Manager / Systems Manager roles and have taken care of a number of hardware platforms including ZX80, ACT Sirius 1, IBM PC compatibles, VAX systems from MicroVAX to 6540, AS/400.

OS's have been DOS 1 thru 6, Windows (all flavours), SunOS, Solaris, OS/400, VMS, Netware, Linux, SCO Unix, Xenix and CP/M 86.

Networking has been with everything from Dial Up using an acoustic coupler, DECnet, TCP/IP, NetBeui (Windows for Workgroups), Netware

LANs have been on Token Ring, Ethernet and an obscure HP VG AnyLAN.

Thickwire Ethernet Drops, Thinwire Ethernet using BNC connectors, Cat 5 point to point, a wierd twisted pair system from Sperry that I can't remember the name of.

Now away from the ratrace and living outside of Pattaya, Thailand but will be relocating to Loei Province sometime early next year when our house is built.

Josh

Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:30 am

Quote from ukscone on November 2, 2011, 00:07
pims come in a raspberry flavoured variety

I wonder how much RAM they have... XD

TheDoktor

Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi

My name is Mark. I'm currently the Gameplay Director at Lucid Games which is a new indie games company formed from the ashes of Bizarre Creations. Before Lucid I was a Lead Programmer at Bizarre for about 15 years.
I originally learn to program on the Acorn BBC & Archimedes. Working on iOS & Android now so it's nice to come back to ARM after all these years (although I did do a GBA game about 10 years ago).
Very interested in Raspberry Pi especially as I think it should fit it with our current tech framework if its capabilities are roughly inline with the Beagleboard.

Sinned383

Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:30 pm

Hi There!
I'm a husband and a father and a dog owners.
I've been fascinated by computers ever since Clive Sinclair come out with the Z80, Z81, Spectrum, not so much because they were computers, but because they were smaller and cheaper. Smaller, Better, Cheaper!
I'm ADHD and I advocate for outside the lines-outside the box-in the margins-different thinking-different learning -alternative education -sharing with-building on-detour taking... Today anyhow!
I fix things, and I break things. Love improvising, although I've almost learned that my first idea is only sometimes the best. I'd jump out of an airplane if we just do it—start giving me the safety speech and you'll see me running away.
I like to marry ideas together, and I also like to break apart and twist other ideas. I think that having a medical test facility in a small travel bag would save lives in the poorest of countries as well as in the richest. If a hammer cost a million dollars, would we make houses of wood!
By the way, I ramble on and have the ability to have my banker go from talking financial matters to discussing squirrel tales in a matter of moments. Eventually I get the loan.
I think that Raspberry Pi is the most amazing and generous idea of this period of time.

TinWhisker

Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:37 am

Hello!

I'm Dan, going under the *new* TinWhisker moniker.
As like many others here, I've been brought up on a healthy diet of ZX Spectrum (+2a though, later +3),
and was a microcomputer collector through my early teens.
Testiment to early schools , and I've been in a few (nomadic), many had BBC's and the later Acorn range - though most teachers were afraid of using them.
And being technically minded, they especially made sure I wasn't allowed to use them (I was even barred from looking through the printed manual! I was 10.)
Things got a bit better over time, especially secondary school. Got in to trouble for the usual 'system trespass', but later secretly egged on by the system admin with other things we'd do! ;-)

Particuarly interested in the Rasberry Pi to get me moved over to new languages, along side
a few ideas to flesh out.
Sadly, if Mono runs on it, I'll be stuck in .Net for a while!

Anyone need a network admin/engineer and/or programmer? :-D

(Anyone?)

Return to “General discussion”