piglet

Re: Introduce yourself!

Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:30 pm

Hi, Another recently registered long-time lurker here.

As child of the late 60's the first I saw of computers was at grammar school where computer studies was something the most frail and feeble children did when the rest of us did games. It went like this: Rugby for the fit. Football for the puny. Hockey for the effete, and computer studies for those who couldn't do anything 'better'. I was perfect "second row" material - so never got a chance to touch a computer!

I only started computing by messing about trying to get my uni word-processor to help me do some complex stuff I needed for my course-work. Self taught Z80 assembler on cp/m out of a rather dry manual, boot-strapped into memory with a basic loader. It got me the bug and on to an MSc course in IT and a first look at the Arpanet.

Emerged from academia into recession, and struggled to find a job as there weren't any! Ended up doing COBOL for mumblemumble years and dabbling with other stuff on the internet in my spare time until the systems I worked on moved over to Unix where the PERL I'd learned for Internet glue came in handy.

I've been following the development of the RasPi for a while, and very interested to see how this could be used with children up to 11 in the local school of which I'm a governor. Children this age are very logical (sometimes so logical it hurts!) - but the sort of logical thinking which programming relies on is something seemingly absent in the teaching.

Talking of absent programming skills....what on earth are computing graduates taught at universities around the world these days? It's certainly not programming. They can make a pretty gui, but most of them can't code their way out of a paper bag....

A well-written program in practice can have up to 80% of the lines of code & most of the coding effort making up the error checking and handling. The programmers I work with now only ever seem to do the 20% straight-through processing and get a glazed "does not compute" look in their eyes when I ask "what if it didn't open the file/return a HTTP 200/connect to the MQ/spawn the process". No. In the mind of the modern programmer nothing ever goes wrong. Tell that to the poor sods who have to support the users of the systems they write.

If this initiative can help the generation after next of IT folk to have a clue, I'll be happy. And probably retired :)

Blars

Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:01 pm

A CS degree had pretty much nothing to do with programming 30 years ago either, only a bit more than an EE degree had to do with designing something with digital electronics.

flipdewaf

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:16 am

Hi, My name is Fred.

I am a recent graduate (2009) in mechanical and aerospace engineering and now work for a well known potato cutting and frying company ;). My knowledge of Programming is limited to the C++ I did at uni and I have never used linux before but have often wanted to get into it. I have built a couple of computers but only ever stuck windows on them but seeing theis £15 device has really spurred me into wanting to get into a bit of linux /programming so this seemed like the perfect time/device.

I'm almost totally at a loss with how to use linux things so if anyone could point me towards an idiots guide to my first use then that would be great.

Fred

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:20 am

Quote from flipdewaf on September 19, 2011, 12:16
Hi, My name is Fred.

I am a recent graduate (2009) in mechanical and aerospace engineering and now work for a well known potato cutting and frying company ;). My knowledge of Programming is limited to the C++ I did at uni and I have never used linux before but have often wanted to get into it. I have built a couple of computers but only ever stuck windows on them but seeing theis £15 device has really spurred me into wanting to get into a bit of linux /programming so this seemed like the perfect time/device.

I'm almost totally at a loss with how to use linux things so if anyone could point me towards an idiots guide to my first use then that would be great.

Fred

Same as Windows, you install it and gradually learn things as they arise. I'd install Ubuntu, turn off unity (switch to 'classic mode' before logging in) and try using that instead of Windows for a while. It may feel a bit awkward or it might not work as you expect it to, but rest assured that you'd feel the same thing about Windows if you were switching from Linux. If you have any questions, join the IRC channel (#raspberrypi on freenode) and there should always be someone willing to help without giving you attitude (that's a problem with some other support channels).

bzip

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:57 pm

hi peeps, i am not really an i.t. person (but love it), feel humbled by all of you peeps knowledge, am a mechanic in real life but had a strong pull to computers since around 1992 ish and have been using Linux for the last eight years. Live in Devon u.k. London born.
Wish the Pi all the success in the world !!

Nastjuid

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:59 pm

Hello, I first saw an article about Raspberry Pi linked on Reddit and have been on the edge of my seat ever since. The phrase 'TAKE MY MONEY' comes to mind many times a day when I think 'man, I wish I had a small device with a camera' or 'man, i could totally make that into an appliance, if only I could find a more affordable device'.

Anywho, I anxiously await the day we can order these devices. I'll probably purchase more than I'll ever need right off and end up distributing them at Halloween, but I'll sure get lots of use out of the B model :)

-Nast

stuporhero

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:56 am

Liz, I have a question - when you wrote the title, did any of you think of the Faith No More album/song? Every time this pops up as unread it starts sailing through my mind :)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:19 am

No, actually - but it's stuck in my head now!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Vindicator

Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:54 am

Hi I am Vindicator I live in Susanville, California in the USA and am Department of the Army Civilian Mechanical repairer, I am currently working on reverse osmosis water purification systems (ROWPU) That are controlled by PLC systems.
I am the real time sibling of Lobo0426, and have been following these forums for awhile and now have joined into the fun.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

Gozzin

Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:09 pm

Hi everyone.
I'm Gozzin aka Daci. I live about 50 miles from the North Carolina coast and am on a first name basis with several hurricanes..I'm a long time Linux enthusiast as well what with Linux being my only OS.My life is pretty average, except for being dominated by two house rabbits..I really like gardening,art and work with the Gimp.
To say I'm excited about your project is an understatement.
I'd like to have my very own Raspberry Pi in a Steampunk box someday..Would be so festive!

nobbit

Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:07 pm

Hello,
I'm Björn (which most of you can't pronounce, but I won't hold that against you :) ). I'm currently trying to finish my bachelor thesis in computer science while working full time with configuration management for a multinational telecom company.
I've checked the forum and blog daily for a couple of weeks now before finally deciding to register and maybe take part in some discussions. The project interests me mainly because I want one (or maybe five) of the boards myself to play with. I have an interest in education (doesn't everyone?), but I don't really know how I can contribute myself.

When the RasPi is released I'm hoping to have time to program something for it (anything really), but time is hard currency to come by when you have a kid of a year and a half and another one on the way :)

SlayingDragons

Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Heyyo, my names lucas, and I'm a 15yo computer geek and musician from maryland. I'm not exactly experienced in the field of computers, as I've only owned a computer for 9 months, but I've always been curious about them and in those 9 months have picked up linux, set up a working Arch linux system, learned a bit of programming, etc. I plan to buy an RPi both for fun and to learn, so it's a win-win here.

I'm incredibly excited for the RPi to come out, (I've checked in on the forums every day for the past week,) as the one thing that's kept me from doing all kinds of projects with something like a beagleboard is the cost. I have all kinds of ideas for it, all of which I can see being hacked into place relatively inexpensively using the RPi.

I'm also going to try to get my school's tech board or whatever to take a look at it. Particularly for programming and network security classes, as I think it could be a very useful tool for demonstrating weaknesses in systems in real life, and teaching kids how to use a unix-based system like linux.

So yeah, hello world! :P

max1zzz

Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:40 pm

Hello, im Max a 14 year boy living in England (year 10 at school). i think this project is amazing it has huge potential in both getting kids interested in programming (and computer hardware) and getting computers into the developing world. personally i can't wait to get my hands on one to make my little linux tablet (bah, i can't afford a touchscreen, oh well it will have to be a non touchscreen tablet) then i can introduce this little guy to my electronics teacher (who happens to be a senior member of staff)
Do i think my school has any major use for them? No. But my electronics teacher will be interested in this, and may be able to find some use for them someware

alephnull

Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:44 pm

I'm a retired math teacher who has been using computers and writing programs since 1964.

Nightsurfer

Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:56 am

Hello,
I'm Julian, 52, in Bedford (That's the one in England, not Massachusetts, Texas, Pennsylvania, South Africa, etc.). I've been using "Nightsurfer" since since the introduction of public (albeit dial-up) internet access in the UK in 1993.

I wrote my first computer program in 1974 and carried on through school/university with a predominantly mathematical/scientific emphasis, leading to a career of programming at various levels, platforms and languages.

For the last five years I have taken time out of full-time work to care for my son who has Downs Syndrome and have close contact with the staff at his school which caters specifically for children with special educational needs.

Use of computers features well in their teaching methods, and although your goal of bringing the teaching of programming skills to a wider audience would not necessarily be a priority in such an environment, I can envisage many uses for such a low cost small-format computer within the school - and, of course, elsewhere.

trigger

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:50 am

Hi All. I'm Richard from South Wales. I'm an enthusiastic Linux user and came across the Raspi while checking out some Linux forums. I work in the electronics manufacturing sector as a surface mount engineer, so if you need some BGA's fitting I'm your man! This looks like a great project and I'm looking forward to getting hold of one to play with.

Thunder__X

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:26 am

Greetings everyone, My name is Garrett, I'm eighteen and from the United States. I grew up using Windows, and in the past few years, became obsessed with Linux and the Free Software Movement. Moreover, I have become very interested in how electronics work, vintage television repair, and hardware hacking. I am ecstatic about the vast potential that this little device will bring not only to myself, but millions of children excited as I currently am about learning. I've graduated from high school this year, and I am doubtful that I will ever attend a formal college because of my inability to learn on par to those standards, but I will always hold education in the highest regards.

fgaughan

Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:10 pm

Thought Id say hello

My name is Fintan named after a graveyard (don't ask)..
I am just mainly a Linux tinkerer never got the chance to play/use BBC micro at school , but getting these pi for my sons and learn programming together .

jamesh

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:57 am

Quote from AmyS3 on August 4, 2011, 14:47
hehe... swearing is the first you learn when you discover a new language :-)
i´m from berlin(west) but my mom comes from hannover.
i spend some time as kid in south germany as well. maybe ulm or geislingen rings a bell.

@ abishur: when i was young i could almost connect to the internet by making the modem beebs with my mouth XD

First thing to learn in a new language - how to order beer, and how to say thank you. And how to order beer.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

kme

Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:11 am

@jamesh
"First thing to learn in a new language..."

Exactly! Except my principle has been how to order two beers :-) At a certain time I was able to do this in Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Russian, Danish, German, English, French, Spanish and Greek. Unfortunately I've forgotten a few over the years :-(

Maybe we could make a program for raspi to do this in any language...

mat80c

Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:52 am

Helloooooo

My name is Matthew and I work in the hospitality sector. I’m looking forward upgrading my mame cab with a machine that doesn’t need 3 fans.

I have some Linux experience and have used python before too.

I am more excited about this project than my new baby who’s 11 weeks old.

Norihiro Nishimura

Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:20 pm

Konichwa , Hello Everyone.
I am Norihiro , in Okayama city Japan. where is one of twin city of San Jose CA ( famous as Silicon Valle)
I am python programmer and concerning of educational organization in this area.
I am very much interested in Linux and using Fedora since it was FC1.
I would like to be one of Raspberry distributor, even if only one part of Japan area.
I believe most of Japanese student have PS3 but they don't know how to make programs. and this product is effective for creative field like music or video films, of course creating games. I am looking forward to see pi soon!

RobH

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:23 pm

Hi, I'm a UK based designer (all things graphic, plus a penchant for 3d, product and video).

Non programmer, sterotypical smug Mac user, early use of vic 20 and acorn electron failed to ignite any skills in coding, but elite did capture my imagination in many ways.

Enjoying following the progress of this project and have bombarded Liz with plenty of logo submissions, not sure what to do now the competition has closed! If any of the team want to contact me the company I work for has lots of experience in launch packs and direct communications.

mlongval

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:26 pm

Bonjour,

My name is Michael. I'm a 46 year old family phisician in Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada. My interests in the RasPi stem from my opinion that what is needed in computer literacy is basic (not BASIC) programming knowledge.

I was fortunate enough to have grown up during the Golden Age of personal computers.

My first exposure to programming was on very large HP desktop calculators, then it moved on to TimexSinclair, Ohio Distance Learning (bare board 6809 system). My first real passion came in the form of a Commodore 64. I read and re-read that big handbook for it (you know the one I'm talking about .... ) I had to learn Boolean arithmatic to get a line drawn on screen or get as sprite to move. It was hard work but man was it rewarding when the damn thing worked.

Then it was on to Amiga. Then Windows, then OS/2, then Coherent (from Marc Williams ), and finally onto Linux RedHat, on an IBM 380D laptop.

Since then I've had many Linux systems up (they tend to stay that way....) but have changed flavor to Ubuntu.

Of late (past 5 years) I've changed religion: to the Church of MacOSX. Mostly out of lack of time for system maintenance and ease of use. ( the church of Linux wanted me to pray multiple times a day whereas now I can go a couple of weeks without invoking the Gods. ;)

My hope is that RasPi becomes enormously successful and inspires thousands of children to tinker and hack and LEARN about computers. ( we must understand if we are to master our technologies, otherwise we will serve them, and not vice versa)

(I have an old Apple II case waiting for a RasPi retrofit....)

</end of very verbose rant>

kuja

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:40 pm

Hello,

Iam 27 year old man from Kladno,Czech republic. Kladno is aprox. 20km from capital city Prague. I work as IBM Tivoli and Netcool Monitoring Administrator in the biggest insurance company in Czech. Iam big linux and *nix enthusiast (AIX,Solaris etc). I have 2 pugs, one PII dual-processor old Dell server and many other computers,tablets and gadgets :) I like ride my mtb and hiking :) Raspberry PI i will use as gate to ARM architecture and for multimedia center to my TV :)

Return to “General discussion”