hoangnganvy1993

smart power consumption monitoring system

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:25 am

I am looking advice to design smart power consumption monitoring system. I want to design a system that will measure the power consumption of device such as light bulb, Fan, cooler etc and It will store the record of power consumption into database server so we can monitor the electricity usage of each devices

I have searched on internet and I found that raspberry pi can be use in this project. I think have to use ADC chip but don't know others
I don’t have idea how raspberry pi measure power consumption. I mean which circuit or sensor require to design system.

I am looking advice to design system. Do I need sensors to measure power consumption of devices ? What circuit do I need to measure power consumption of each devices?

davidcoton

Re: smart power consumption monitoring system

Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:12 pm

First off, we're talking of a project involving mains power. Are you familiar with the dangers of mains (electrocution, fire and destruction of Pi), and the practices necessary to stay safe?

There are different ways of measuring mains current, some are intrusive , some rely on electromagnetic coupling (safer). Ideally you should look for a plug-in monitor with a USB output that the Pi can read. Failing that you will have to build something safe to interface to the mains, then feed its output (possibbly through some electronics) to an ADC connected to the Pi. You will find some discussion in other topics here (sorry I don't have links available, but Google with site: Raspberrypi.org will find them). Ensuring adequate isolation from the mains is not trivial.

Finally, re-read and think about my first paragraph. You may decide that this is not a good project for your current level of knowledge and experience.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

drgeoff

Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:18 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:12 pm
First off, we're talking of a project involving mains power. Are you familiar with the dangers of mains (electrocution, fire and destruction of Pi), and the practices necessary to stay safe?

There are different ways of measuring mains current, some are intrusive , some rely on electromagnetic coupling (safer). Ideally you should look for a plug-in monitor with a USB output that the Pi can read. Failing that you will have to build something safe to interface to the mains, then feed its output (possibbly through some electronics) to an ADC connected to the Pi. You will find some discussion in other topics here (sorry I don't have links available, but Google with site: Raspberrypi.org will find them). Ensuring adequate isolation from the mains is not trivial.

Finally, re-read and think about my first paragraph. You may decide that this is not a good project for your current level of knowledge and experience.
+1 and remember it is not just about being safe when the components are OK. You also need to consider the consequences of component failure.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

henmina53

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:31 am

- Starting with Online monitoring system you can connect with Online database servers by using node red which also available in raspbian OS further easily connected with firebase, Azure or AWS system through different web hosting protocol like JSON parsing or HTTP Client
- There are many blog posts available to create the power monitoring system one of the better posts is this which will guide you out about how to use node red.
- For the specific wireless solution, I am using the Wireless AC Current Sensor which not only has the great range but also connect with Firebase database easily by interfacing with raspberry pi.
_ Or You can also go through some split-core AC current sensor with different current range are also available to use with AC mains and work great with some defined conditions.

Return to “General discussion”