BrendonShaw

Pi Zero - WiFi test box (USB Or Serial pins?)

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:30 am

I need to develop a WiFi test box to try some networking configurations and access to different networks, but just want to check if the following will work:

Use a USB cable plugged into a Pi Zero, will I be able to serial terminal into the device or will I need to use the serial terminal pins on the header and connect to a PC via a serial converter cable?

DougieLawson

Re: Pi Zero - WiFi test box (USB Or Serial pins?)

Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:33 am

The USB hub and serial console are not directly connected to the WiFi hardware in any way.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

hippy

Re: Pi Zero - WiFi test box (USB Or Serial pins?)

Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:28 am

If you were using a Zero W you could have the Pi access the on-board Wi-Fi and operate in gadget mode exposing a virtual serial port over its USB. Then all you would need to do is plug your Pi into a PC with a USB cable. The PC should create a virtual serial port for you to connect to.

For a Zero which needs a USB Wi-Fi dongle connecting there are two options -

1) An OTG cable, micro-USB plug to USB socket, the Wi-Fi dongle plugged into that, with your serial connected via the GPIO UART pins.

2) An OTG cable, a hub plugged into that, a Wi-Fi dongle and USB serial adapter plugged into that.

Return to “General discussion”