andrum99

New version of Raspbian

Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:32 pm

Hi folks. I see that there is a new version of Raspbian out - dated 2018-10-09. What's new in this version please, versus the previous release (being 2018-06-29)?

B.Goode

Re: New version of Raspbian

Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:52 pm

Also helpfully referenced here earlier today -

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6&t=224635

andrum99

Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:55 pm

jahboater wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:34 pm
Take a look at the release notes.
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... _notes.txt
Thanks - I hadn't spotted that there was a release notes file. "Add hw acceleration to ffmpeg" looks interesting, and Flash has apparently been updated to the latest version. I'm assuming Flash is still ARMv7 so requires a Pi 2 or 3 to run. (That's *not* a complaint by the way).

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:10 pm

andrum99 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:55 pm
jahboater wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:34 pm
Take a look at the release notes.
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... _notes.txt
Thanks - I hadn't spotted that there was a release notes file. "Add hw acceleration to ffmpeg" looks interesting, and Flash has apparently been updated to the latest version. I'm assuming Flash is still ARMv7 so requires a Pi 2 or 3 to run. (That's *not* a complaint by the way).

PepperFlash 31.0.0.108 was released 18th September..

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/security/pro ... 18-31.html

Chromium Browser version 65 was released 6th March..

https://www.chromium.org/developers/calendar

Yes PepperFlash requires a RPi with ARMv7 / ARMv8 !
Retired disgracefully.....

Imperf3kt

Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:54 am

Mathematica has been removed, so if you use that its a good idea to keep the card it's installed on and upgrade / fresh install on a different card.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

hippy

Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:11 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:54 am
Mathematica has been removed, so if you use that its a good idea to keep the card it's installed on and upgrade / fresh install on a different card.
I had wondered about upgrading and losing Mathematica/Wolfram but, unless something has changed, an apt-get upgrade should not remove anything if I am correct.

Anyone who has a previous download of a NOOBS and/or Raspbian Stretch install saved to disk will likely have one which includes Mathematica. They would have to check the licensing regarding installing from that then doing an upgrade to bring an installation up to date while keeping Mathematica.

And it's probably best to check the licensing before sharing that download with others.

Those who currently have Mathematica installed should be able to back that up and reinstall it on the same Pi after any fresh install which doesn't include it. The licensing allows for a backup but they would be advised to check the full licensing terms.

Installing that on another Pi or handing it out to others to install would seem to be against the license conditions.

Let's not discuss how they would never know if that were done and could not stop that happening as that would be encouraging breaching licensing and tantamount to software piracy.

rpdom

Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:27 am

hippy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:11 am
I had wondered about upgrading and losing Mathematica/Wolfram but, unless something has changed, an apt-get upgrade should not remove anything if I am correct.
Correct.

dist-upgrade could remove packages if another package says it clashes with, or replaces, an existing package.

I suppose if an empty package was created with the same name as the existing one, and a later version number, it could replace the genuine package on a straight upgrade, but that's not how things are supposed to be done.

hippy

Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:24 pm

rpdom wrote:
I suppose if an empty package was created with the same name as the existing one, and a later version number, it could replace the genuine package on a straight upgrade
That would probably get the Pi and Foundation a fair amount of publicity with quite a lot of it not positive nor good.

It seems there is a way to lock out upgrades of specific packages, though I've not tried that myself, and it will probably depend on which package manager is usually used -

sudo apt-mark hold wolfram-engine ?

sudo apt-mark showhold

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:33 pm

hippy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:24 pm
rpdom wrote:
I suppose if an empty package was created with the same name as the existing one, and a later version number, it could replace the genuine package on a straight upgrade
That would probably get the Pi and Foundation a fair amount of publicity with quite a lot of it not positive nor good.

It seems there is a way to lock out upgrades of specific packages, though I've not tried that myself, and it will probably depend on which package manager is usually used -

sudo apt-mark hold wolfram-engine ?

sudo apt-mark showhold
I cannot see this happening, although it will depend entirely on Wolfram. It's their software, we just licenced it for distribution.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

rpdom

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:26 pm

I only offered that as a theoretical possibility, not something that will happen.

However, there does remain the question about the old images in the archives. They still have Wolfram installed. I can imagine that trying to rebuild those old images would be a right pain, although not impossible. How does RPF and Wolfram stand on that?

gkaiseril

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:44 pm

Those images could be modified. Also it is possible to remove an package during an update.

One could hope that Raspberry Pi Foundation and Wolfram come to some new agreement or licensing. Wolfram could also decide to either provide their product to Raspberry Pi users for free or for a fee.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:44 am

Those images will have Mathematica stripped out.

hippy

Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:13 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Will those actually replace the old images or will the old images be removed and new 'without Mathematica' reproductions be added ?

I can see all sorts of problems looming if what is downloaded in the future isn't the same as what was downloaded and backed-up in the past but is claiming to be the exact same thing.

Simply altering old images would also create a conflict with public copies of those original old images which are mirrored on the internet, for example -

http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/raspberrypi/NOOBS/images

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:34 am

hippy wrote:
ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Will those actually replace the old images or will the old images be removed and new 'without Mathematica' reproductions be added ?

I can see all sorts of problems looming if what is downloaded in the future isn't the same as what was downloaded and backed-up in the past claiming to be the exact same thing.
Probably the latter.

jamesh

Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:52 am

hippy wrote:
ShiftPlusOne wrote:

I can see all sorts of problems looming if what is downloaded in the future isn't the same as what was downloaded and backed-up in the past but is claiming to be the exact same thing.

Simply altering old images would also create a conflict with public copies of those original old images which are mirrored on the internet, for example -

http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/raspberrypi/NOOBS/images

No need to claim its the same thing - they will simply be images without Mathematica.

The public will have old copies with Mathematica in. We cannot do anything about that, but we no longer have a licence to distribute mathematica, so we will not be distributing mathmatica in any of our images, including the older ones. Simple as that.

If there are issues caused by this, then there will be issues, but I suspect they wil be minor and few and far between.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “General discussion”