liudr

Any PC software that can make backup images of RPI?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:29 pm

I've been using "Paragon backup and recovery 2014" to back up my RPIs until the more recent distro that breaks it (restored images wouldn't boot). I can use the win32 disk imager if I have to, dumping sectors instead of recording drive content and skipping over empty spaces and any memory swap files. Anyway, are there any popular new choices for backups using PC? By backup I mean creating an image file that is shareable over the internet, not making clone sd cards. Thanks.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

topguy

Re: Any PC software that can make backup images of RPI?

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:03 pm

By backup I mean creating an image file that is shareable over the internet, not making clone sd cards. Thanks.
What we normally call an "image" file is a clone of a SD-card , mem-stick or CD/DVD-disk.

Good old Norton Ghost had features where it saved partition information and then also understood the filesystem so it only collected the files. So you never stored unused space.

"Partimage" and "Clonezilla" might be worth looking at.

PS..
There is a tool called "zerofree" that writes zeroes in all the free blocks on the linux filesystem, that means that when you compress a clone image later it will pack much better.

Return to “General discussion”