EduardH
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:10 am

where to buy rpi zero 1.3 for builing a cluster

Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:45 am

Good morning,

I want to buy or build a cluster with rpi zero 1.3 boards. The rpi hat that joins 4 rpi zero + one rpi3 could be a nice solution to start. The problem is that my local distributors have restricted selling the rpi zero to one piece a client. Even multiple orders will be cancelled. This is the case in Belgium and the Netherlands. Where can I buy multiple rpi zero 1.3 boards ? The goal for building a cluster is an amateur radio project. It only makes sense in case the zero can be bought in quantities. Please let me kwon where I can buy multiple rpi zeros.

Sincerely,

Eduard



Raspberry Paul
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:40 pm
Contact: Website

Re: where to buy rpi zero 1.3 for builing a cluster

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:07 pm

Try Pimoroni. They ship worldwide.
https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero

You'll have to place an order for one Zero per day.

Including P&P to UK, that would make each Pi Zero £7.16 which is still a fair bargain.
http://www.raspberrypaul.co.uk

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 11466
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: where to buy rpi zero 1.3 for builing a cluster

Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:44 pm

The policy of "one to a customer" for the Pi0 at the "educational discount level" ($5) is set by the RPF. In theory, it's "one only per customer *ever*" and there is a supplier in at least one country that--by report--actually enforces that. If you want to buy more than one at a time, you have to move up to the Pi0WH....or buy at least 500 at a time (but they won't be $5 each).

ejolson
Posts: 4254
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am

Re: where to buy rpi zero 1.3 for builing a cluster

Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:33 pm

EduardH wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:45 am
Please let me kwon where I can buy multiple rpi zeros.
If you don't mind traveling, try

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4864 ... mera-ready

I would suggest visiting the Sequoia National Park while you are in the States.

You might also like to look at this thread on setting up a super-cheap cluster using multiple Pi Zero computers with Raspbian root filesystem over NFS.

What sort of amateur radio project do you have in mind?

EduardH
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:10 am

Re: where to buy rpi zero 1.3 for builing a cluster

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:13 am

Good morning,

Indeed, it is not that easy to buy several rpi zero 1.3 but I found distributors selling the 8086 pi hat as a kit with four rpi zero included. I'll look for that.

@ejoison: The project I am working on is meant for museums and collectors who have a large collection of old tube radio's. In northwest Europe most AM transmitters in the broadcast band have been closed. I built a system that takes the equivalent audio stream from internet. It generates carriers by DDS and modulates the stream on this carrier. At least 8 stations are modulated simultaneously. It is more than just an idea. Two different prototypes are working. The first uses 4 orange pi zero boards. It works fine but I think a rpi zero 1.3 could simplify the external circuit. The rpi zero can generate two carriers in the broadcast band by frequency division from a system clock. Because the waveform is symmetric there are only odd numbered harmonics that fall outside the band. That's why I am looking for rpi zero 1.3.
A second solution I build is cheaper but the sound quality is less. I made a pcb hat on a rpi3. The hat contains a 4K 12 bit wide fifo buffer. This buffer is read by a 4 MHz clock and output to a DAC. Input to the rpi3 is taken from a speedy personal computer. The systems I built are legal. There is no antenna connected. The linear output amplifier is connected to a twisted wire pair. Behind a radio one lead of the twisted pair passes through a ferite clamp. Through this ferite ring goes a second wire making a loop between the antenna and earth connection of the radio. Nearly no power is radiated by a twisted cable.

I want to thank everyone four Your help.
Now I know where to by rpi zero.

Sincerely,

Eduard

fanoush
Posts: 502
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: where to buy rpi zero 1.3 for builing a cluster

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:52 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:44 pm
In theory, it's "one only per customer *ever*" and there is a supplier in at least one country that--by report--actually enforces that.
That happend to me and the shop is here http://rpishop.cz/raspberry-pi-zero/632 ... -zero.html They don't have english version, however google translation is good https://translate.google.com/translate? ... edit-text= "Up to 1 pc per customer! We reserve the right to cancel repeated orders." And indeed they did cancel my second order made weeks after first one. And the shop owner was very strict and first explained to me in his email that I am abusing this charity program when wanting to buy second cheap Zero and later explained that if I want to buy another one I can only get kit with adapters or the one with presoldered header because only then 'nobody would lose money on me'. So that was my last order there (previously I got A+ and 2B from them). Later I got Pi3 and Pi3B+ from pimoroni each with another Zero and I hope they are doing well serving customers like that.
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:44 pm
If you want to buy more than one at a time, you have to move up to the Pi0WH.
There is also slightly cheaper Zero H, e.g. here
https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/ra ... red-header
but it may not make sense due to price as it is not that much cheaper than WH. And both are more expensive than just buying one repeatedly from those who don't enforce the rule so strictly (which is almost everyone?)

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 3220
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: where to buy rpi zero 1.3 for builing a cluster

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:21 pm

I believe the OP wants a zero because of the lack of WiFi so they don't need to pass compliance. Therefore, a Pi0W is not an alternative.

Buying the Pi in bulk at a higher price (I believe the cost is around $20USD per unit, but the exact price is never disclosed, so I may be mistaken) is cheaper than paying for individual shipping them one by one... Assuming you need more than 500
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 24945
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: where to buy rpi zero 1.3 for builing a cluster

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:07 am

fanoush wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:52 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:44 pm
In theory, it's "one only per customer *ever*" and there is a supplier in at least one country that--by report--actually enforces that.
That happend to me and the shop is here http://rpishop.cz/raspberry-pi-zero/632 ... -zero.html They don't have english version, however google translation is good https://translate.google.com/translate? ... edit-text= "Up to 1 pc per customer! We reserve the right to cancel repeated orders." And indeed they did cancel my second order made weeks after first one. And the shop owner was very strict and first explained to me in his email that I am abusing this charity program when wanting to buy second cheap Zero and later explained that if I want to buy another one I can only get kit with adapters or the one with presoldered header because only then 'nobody would lose money on me'. So that was my last order there (previously I got A+ and 2B from them). Later I got Pi3 and Pi3B+ from pimoroni each with another Zero and I hope they are doing well serving customers like that.
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:44 pm
If you want to buy more than one at a time, you have to move up to the Pi0WH.
There is also slightly cheaper Zero H, e.g. here
https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/ra ... red-header
but it may not make sense due to price as it is not that much cheaper than WH. And both are more expensive than just buying one repeatedly from those who don't enforce the rule so strictly (which is almost everyone?)
You are doing that retailer a disservice. He is only following the rules and ensuring he doesn't go bust!

If you want Zero's in quantity, you need to buy the ZeroWH.

It's that simple.

Trying to buy multiple Zero's at $5 by loopholes etc is abusing the charity aspect of it. Your choice, but the wrong one.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

tpyo kingg
Posts: 724
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:26 pm
Location: N. Finland

Re: where to buy rpi zero 1.3 for builing a cluster

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:20 am

jamesh wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:07 am
Trying to buy multiple Zero's at $5 by loopholes etc is abusing the charity aspect of it. Your choice, but the wrong one.
I've been looking too, but have been settling for the Zero W. Is there a way to buy unsubsidized Zeros (not W or WH) in small quanties at all? A 4- or 5-pack would be perfect.

It is the hardware more than the price which is interesting. For some things I'd prefer not to have wi-fi and for some things the header gets in the way physically and in some cases it is both.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 24945
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: where to buy rpi zero 1.3 for builing a cluster

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:45 am

tpyo kingg wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:20 am
jamesh wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:07 am
Trying to buy multiple Zero's at $5 by loopholes etc is abusing the charity aspect of it. Your choice, but the wrong one.
I've been looking too, but have been settling for the Zero W. Is there a way to buy unsubsidized Zeros (not W or WH) in small quanties at all? A 4- or 5-pack would be perfect.

It is the hardware more than the price which is interesting. For some things I'd prefer not to have wi-fi and for some things the header gets in the way physically and in some cases it is both.
Can you email [email protected] with details and mark it FAO sales. Depending on requirements we might be able to help out. Prices will likely depend on volume but will be >$5/peice
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

tpyo kingg
Posts: 724
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:26 pm
Location: N. Finland

Re: where to buy rpi zero 1.3 for builing a cluster

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:33 am

jamesh wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:45 am
Can you email [email protected] with details and mark it FAO sales. Depending on requirements we might be able to help out. Prices will likely depend on volume but will be >$5/peice
Thanks. Message sent. The price is less important than the small hardware. There are a lot of possible small projects out there where it is useful or important to have /separate/ computers, but not necessarily powerful ones, that can still run a normal OS with attendent programs and languages.

Since I have seen other people also asking both here at the Forums and elsewhere, perhaps a 4-pack or 5-pack at full price would be something to consider putting on the market in general. Or maybe a buy-one-give-one programme would be an option.

fanoush
Posts: 502
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: where to buy rpi zero 1.3 for builing a cluster

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:30 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:07 am
Trying to buy multiple Zero's at $5 by loopholes etc is abusing the charity aspect of it. Your choice, but the wrong one.
As long as there is no other way to buy Zero without header for personal use in small quantities I can't agree with your point of view. There are many reasons why I disagree and probably all of them were already discussed many times here. As it stands I refuse to feel any guilt or bad feelings about adding Zero without header to any order as long as the shop allows me to do so. And I had lot of time to think about it, Zero was launched almost 3 years ago :-)
jamesh wrote: Can you email [email protected] with details and mark it FAO sales. Depending on requirements we might be able to help out. Prices will likely depend on volume but will be >$5/peice
That is actually new information and it sounds great. So far I understood I would need to buy a hundred or so. So is this e.g. for 10 pieces? What does FAO stands for? Why not explain this in public here so everyone knows at least some basic rules of this offer instead of spamming [email protected] mailbox individually?

mic_s
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:15 pm

Re: where to buy rpi zero 1.3 for builing a cluster

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:14 pm

As it stands I refuse to feel any guilt or bad feelings about adding Zero without header to any order as long as the shop allows me to do so.
If you need 5-10 zeros without header : hints are given in this thread. Anouther option: desolder the ZeroHs, they are available in low quantities (approximately 7-8 pounds per ZeroH)
is this e.g. for 10 pieces?
James post is meant for Hundreds (note the plural).
What does FAO stands for?
FAO is an abbreviation for „for the attention of“ - it is used when addressing a letter or note to a particular person.
.

ejolson
Posts: 4254
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am

Re: where to buy rpi zero 1.3 for builing a cluster

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:21 pm

tpyo kingg wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:20 am
jamesh wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:07 am
Trying to buy multiple Zero's at $5 by loopholes etc is abusing the charity aspect of it. Your choice, but the wrong one.
I've been looking too, but have been settling for the Zero W. Is there a way to buy unsubsidized Zeros (not W or WH) in small quanties at all? A 4- or 5-pack would be perfect.
From a socioeconomics point of view the Pi Zero has demonstrated two interesting things:

1. How charity-driven forms of socialism and communism lead immediately to shortages and rationing.

2. How people accustomed to living in an economy governed by markets and free enterprise react to such shortages and rationing.

As the people in the United States appear instinctively to value the ideals of capitalism more than in many other places, it is not so surprising that anyone can walk into a bricks-and-mortar Microcenter store in the states and purchase as many Pi Zero version 1.3 computers as they like for US $15 each. While tourism for the sake of shopping is common, it does seem odd that purchasing Pi Zero computers is best done outside the United Kingdom.

fanoush
Posts: 502
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: where to buy rpi zero 1.3 for builing a cluster

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:37 pm

mic_s wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:14 pm
FAO is an abbreviation for „for the attention of“ - it is used when addressing a letter or note to a particular person.
Thanks. Found this meaning later but still it felt a bit improbable (because why not to have [email protected] mailbox?) but when re-reading again it must be it! As for your other answers I am not sure. I did not found the hint where to get bare Zero boards (without travelling to other side of globe in person or getting lot of extra stuff I don't need), and desoldering header feels dangerous (and plain silly). Anyway personally I have enough Zero boards without headers for now so no need to jump through such hoops. And I also have few WHs when I do need precisely this type of header because getting Zero without one and then soldering such header is a bit silly too :-)

As for hundreds - jamesh responded to someone asking for single quantities.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 24945
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: where to buy rpi zero 1.3 for builing a cluster

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:38 am

I didn't want to post a person in sales email address, hence going via [email protected]

AIUI, depending on your project, different people will be able to negotiate different quantities. That's between you and sales.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

EduardH
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:10 am

Re: where to buy rpi zero 1.3 for builing a cluster

Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:20 am

Good moring,

@jamesh: Thank You for all these information. It's not at all my intention to abuse charity to get low prices. No problem to pay a fair price. The project is still in the prototype status. At the moment it makes no sense to buy 500 pieces or more. You have well explained why the zero is so cheap. If had known all these things, I used a rpi zero immediately. I wrote an article in "Radiofil Magazine" about modulation internet audio streams in the broadcast band. In that article I discouraged the use of the zero because my local distributors told me "one piece for each client". I have to reconsider this point of view. To my mind it made no sense to develop a system with a component that was difficult to obtain.

The rpi zero 1.3 and the rpi zero W have strong features to be used in this project. I just bought a rpi zero W to see if these board could be used to catch and modulate two audio streams simultaneously. I believe it can be done very easy.

This project is not a commercial issue. Please feel free to visit our websites: http://www.radiomuseum-olen.be/ and http://www.radiofil.com/magazine/presentation,fr.html (in dutch and in french)

Sincerely,

Eduard Hontele

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 24945
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: where to buy rpi zero 1.3 for builing a cluster

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:03 pm

EduardH wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:20 am
Good moring,

@jamesh: Thank You for all these information. It's not at all my intention to abuse charity to get low prices. No problem to pay a fair price. The project is still in the prototype status. At the moment it makes no sense to buy 500 pieces or more. You have well explained why the zero is so cheap. If had known all these things, I used a rpi zero immediately. I wrote an article in "Radiofil Magazine" about modulation internet audio streams in the broadcast band. In that article I discouraged the use of the zero because my local distributors told me "one piece for each client". I have to reconsider this point of view. To my mind it made no sense to develop a system with a component that was difficult to obtain.

The rpi zero 1.3 and the rpi zero W have strong features to be used in this project. I just bought a rpi zero W to see if these board could be used to catch and modulate two audio streams simultaneously. I believe it can be done very easy.

This project is not a commercial issue. Please feel free to visit our websites: http://www.radiomuseum-olen.be/ and http://www.radiofil.com/magazine/presentation,fr.html (in dutch and in french)

Sincerely,

Eduard Hontele
Email [email protected], for attention of sales, and see what they can do.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “General discussion”