SlowBro

[SOLVED] In search of reliable FCC-certified USB Wi-Fi adapter with removable antenna

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:00 pm

I'm needing to include a second Wi-Fi adapter with a Zero W in a product I am building. Any recommendations? Must haves:
  • Reliable, I don't want a lot of returns
  • FCC-certified
  • Removable antenna. I will mount the antenna externally.
  • Relatively low-cost, around $15 in bulk or less would be ideal, but I know that cheap != quality
This one would seem to check all the boxes. I bought one but it's only marked "FCC" on the package with no FCC ID, which tells me the FCC certification advertisement may be a lie.
EDUP Wifi Adapter Wireless N Adapter 300Mbps 2.4GHz Wifi Usb with High Gain External Antenna
Last edited by SlowBro on Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

wh7qq

Re: In search of reliable FCC-certified USB Wi-Fi adapter with removable antenna

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:37 pm

You may have to get that information directly from the manufacturer. http://www.pandawireless.com/Contact

I have been using a Panda PAU06 adapter for some time and it has been quite dependable and has a removable antenna. They also offer an industrial version for embedded applications. Still, I cannot find any claim to FCC certification on the device and the packaging is long gone. The Panda wireless web page has no information either. They do offer a contact number in Californica (part of US? :lol: ). I do find a FCC ID No. on the tiny Edimax dongle in extremely fine print on the metal housing for the USB connector (but sadly, with a fixed internal antenna). I purchased the Panda from Amazon and it retailed for $14.99. Amazon selling it guarantees nothing about the FCC imprimatur. I can find no information of the country of origin although it is presumably fabricated in the far east so at some point they should be subject to US Customs scrutiny but that is no guarantee either. Call the company.

wh7qq

Re: In search of reliable FCC-certified USB Wi-Fi adapter with removable antenna

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:04 pm

wh7qq wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:37 pm
You may have to get that information directly from the manufacturer. http://www.pandawireless.com/Contact

I have been using a Panda PAU06 adapter for some time and it has been quite dependable and has a removable antenna. They also offer an industrial version for embedded applications. Still, I cannot find any claim to FCC certification on the device and the packaging is long gone. The Panda wireless web page has no information either. They do offer a contact number in Californica (part of US? :lol: ). I do find a FCC ID No. on the tiny Edimax dongle in extremely fine print on the metal housing for the USB connector (but sadly, with a fixed internal antenna). I purchased the Panda from Amazon and it retailed for $14.99. Amazon selling it guarantees nothing about the FCC imprimatur. I can find no information of the country of origin although it is presumably fabricated in the far east so at some point they should be subject to US Customs scrutiny but that is no guarantee either. Call the company.
Addendum: "dmesg | tail" reveals that a Realtek chipset is inside the Panda. Perhaps the Cert is for the chipset and not for the packaging but you would think that the whole thing, including antenna would be subject to testing/certification.

SlowBro

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:39 pm

When I checked the page for the Panda adapter I also found this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071Y6Y8 ... B00JDVRCI0

Bit higher than budget but I will manage.

It is possible to use an ESP8266 in SDIO mode and there are FCC-certified modules for that which are real cheap. But it is much more difficult to use so I will first go the standard route.

Any other suggestions?

SlowBro

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:39 pm

Apparently the Panda is FCC-certified. I searched the questions for FCC and got a hit.
https://www.amazon.com/Panda-Wireless-P ... 8001426738

wh7qq

Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:13 am

Still, be careful using this...as with roasted coffee, Californica has found that it can cause all sorts of bad things. From Amazon's web page:

Proposition 65 Warning for Californica Consumers

WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including Bisphenol A (BPA) which is known to the State of Californica to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm and Lead which is known to the State of Californica to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wolf.z

Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:51 am

Sorry
for having spread wrong information. The WL 0151A uses a RTL8188EUS chip from Realtek. My WIFI sticks are the WL 0151 V.2 using Ralink RT5370 chip. So the Ralink is the good one I was recommending. I cannot judge the Realtek chip.
Sorry

Cheap, rock-steady operation with my Pi 2B, detachable antenna, reverse SMA connector: Logilink WL 0151 V.2
http://www.logilink.eu/Produkte_LogiLin ... anguage=en
chipset RTL8188EUS RT5370, needs no additional driver. AP mode runs perfect. Within downloads of linked website you'll find EU certificate. For whatever reason you'll need FCC approval, search for a product from https://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters.[/s]

SlowBro

Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:56 am

Update: I hit alibaba and searched for FCC Wi-Fi Pi and started talking to sellers, found a few possible choices whose prices are quite attractive. No idea yet of reliability.

Now Chinese manufacturers are notoriously dishonest about their own products so in order to weed out the liars I asked every seller for the FCC ID of the product they were selling. Most who advertised that their adapter was certified did not have an ID —which told me they were lying. If you get actual FCC certification (not just Verification) you will get an ID number. And it’s public record; I had one tell me they don’t give it out unless you sign a contract. Ha!

But not every apple was spoiled and I found a few with trade assurance, gold level, etc. Top sellers. Got quotes and samples. I’m trying them out now.

So that is a great path for my needs. If you need to know which one I went with for your own project ask and I’ll share which ones I’m looking into. I’m on my phone at the moment and don’t have those handy.

Oh and the EDUP I mentioned in the opening post? Not certified. I spoke with the manufacturer on Ali. If I were their competitor and I wanted to play dirty pool, it would be super easy. Just put in a report to the FCC that their adapter is causing interference and sit back and watch the fireworks. Big no-no, and quite a risky one at that.

Paul Hutch

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:03 pm

SlowBro wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:56 am
If I were their competitor and I wanted to play dirty pool, it would be super easy. Just put in a report to the FCC that their adapter is causing interference and sit back and watch the fireworks. Big no-no, and quite a risky one at that.
No need to say that it interferes, simply say it is not certified and the FCC will act. In fact saying it interferes when it doesn't, or you don't know, will cause trouble because the FCC's first step with an interference complaint is to visit your location to measure the interference as the start of the investigation. The FCC encourages every citizen to report when they spot a device being sold without certification.

Return to “General discussion”