jrrobb85

Newcommer to Rasberry when I try to enter the password no text appears

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:37 pm

I have RP3 connected to PC and router with ethernet cable. Have inserted ssh file into raspberry stretch software. Connecting through Putty and IP address I have command window opened showing "Login as". I enter pi and press enter. Next is "[email protected]'s password" appearing on the screen . However when I try to enter the password no text appears The curser does not move and no text can be entered. I have tried other software installations but the same thing happens. Perhaps it is a corruption of the internal memory?
Someone suggested inserting "init=/bin/sh" into the cmdline.txt of the software, then entering "mount -0 remount, rw /" instead of the login data but this does not help.
Any suggestions

nobbit

Re: Newcommer to Rasberry

Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:04 pm

Your question is reasonable, but the behaviour you're describing is entirely normal to the ssh server. Where a password field in a web browser normally shows dots or stars instead of the characters you're typing in, the ssh password prompt simply doesn't show anything.

Type your password and press enter. If you don't get a response after that there may be something wrong, but so far no worries :)

klricks

Re: Newcommer to Rasberry

Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:11 pm

jrrobb85 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:37 pm
....However when I try to enter the password no text appears The curser does not move and no text can be entered. I have tried other software installations but the same thing happens. .......
This is normal.... There is no keypress feedback or ****. Just type the password and press [Enter]
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

W. H. Heydt

Re: Newcommer to Rasberry when I try to enter the password no text appears

Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:39 pm

As explained, this is normal and expected behavior for a unix or Linux system. It's a (minor) security feature. No one glancing at your screen knows how long your password is. Another such feature is that it doesn't respond very fast to a bad password.

Heater

Re: Newcommer to Rasberry when I try to enter the password no text appears

Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:21 pm

Back in the day we did not have nice screens to work with. We had teletypes with big clunky keyboards and a paper print out.

Round about 1976 my friend and I walked into the CS department of the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology. On a Saturday or Sunday. There was nobody there. My friend started digging around in the waste paper bins and eventually found a user log in with the user name and password clearly printed for all to read. Soon we were logged into their mainframe...

Soon after that somebody realized it's not a good idea to echo back the passwords as they are typed.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Return to “General discussion”