jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Which Raspberry Pi Should I Buy

Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:03 pm

jbudd wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:47 pm
The 3B+ is not overly delicate, unless you count a 0.002% failure rate as overly delicate.
Isn't it a bit disingenuous to imply that out of 2 million sold only 40 have succumbed in this way?
I think 40 was an estimate of the number of people who have posted about it in the forum.

I'm sure the Raspberry Pi Foundation has done tests.
What proportion of RPI3B+ tested survived a deliberate short circuit from Pin 1 (3.3V) to the Wifi cover?
What about Pin 2 (5V)?

Will the Raspberry Pi 4 have the same exposed metal cover, or has the design been tweeked to obviate even this tiny risk of damage?

No, I don't feel aggrieved. I think it's interesting that an enhancement in the design had unexpected consequences.
I'm disappointed by the official response though. It's reminiscent of larger purveyors of computers and operating systems.
Well, 40 was the number quoted above. I suspect it quite a few more than that though.

No, we don;t deliberately short out powered up Raspberry Pi's, because we know that it will probably result in the death of the Pi. Its like testing an airbag in a car by running in to a wall. Destructive. I would expect 100% of shorted out Pi's to break.

The take away is Don't short out the Pi. You should ONLY plug stuff in with the Pi turned off. This, I hope, is regarded as standard enginering practice. Whether the 3B+ is more susceptible should be irrelevent because it not something you should be doing in the first place. It's quite possible that the susceptibility is the same! Statistically, there simply isn't enough data to say one way or the other.

Pi4? Probably.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

hippy

Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:06 pm

Heater wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:00 pm
Is the Pi 3B+ overly delicate, a problem variant ? I don't know and it perhaps depends how one chooses to quantify it. All I know is I would not want to be one of the 40 or so members who have reported their Pi 3B+ 'just died' on them for no obvious reason.
Exactly. Given that you don't know, why are you strongly suggesting there are problems?
I am not "strongly suggesting" anything. Merely reporting that 40 people or so have reported having unexplained failures of their Pi 3B+. And have repeatedly said it is probably a small number compared to the number sold

jamesh

Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:13 am

chwe wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:56 pm
jamesh wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:29 pm
What was the figure quoted above ? 40 issues?

Out of approximately 2 million 3B+ sold. Yes, that many.

Not only that but some of those issues caused by people shorting out the Pi whilst powered up. So user error.

The 3B+ is not overly delicate, unless you count a 0.002% failure rate as overly delicate.

If you are one of those 0.002%, then you will feel agrieved. But you are also damn unlucky.

As for the OP's question, the Pi3B+ running Raspbian is the best option.
well that's statistics for cheaters... as probably 90% of all statistics you'll find :lol: :lol:
assuming the 40 are correct.. that's actually only the fraction of pi users showing here up to complain that their board doesn't work anymore.. you can't use "sold boards" as denominator in this calculation.. You might use the warranty returns of your distributors but I'm quite sure that's a business secret.. :P
Whilst returns are indeed a business secret, I can say that our returns rate is very low indeed. Also worth noting that the production line failure rate is also well below the industry norm.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “General discussion”