KelvinKalariya

Industrial Environment Life Expectancy of Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and Raspberry 0 W Module.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:27 am

Hi All,

We're currently working on one embedded product. Can you confirm the industrial environment life expectancy of your Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and Raspberry 0 W Module.

Regards,
Kelvin

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Industrial Environment Life Expectancy of Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and Raspberry 0 W Module.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:42 am

We do not quote MTBF numbers for the 3B+ or the Zero, although we have some figures I believe for the Compute Module and they are probably broadly comparable, although the 3B+ has more components and since the MTBF is a statistical calculation based on number of component I would not expect the MTBF of the 3B+ to be as great as the CM.

The weak link is usually the SD card - these are likely to wear out long before the Pi does. There are ways to mitigate SD card life issues.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Heater

Re: Industrial Environment Life Expectancy of Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and Raspberry 0 W Module.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:04 pm

The Raspberry Pis do not come with any environmental specifications never mind industrial specs. They are after all consumer products.

rln

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:59 am

I have collected some reliability numbers here:
http://www.nard.se/answers.html#reliability
Author of the robust Nard distro http://www.nard.se

Joel_Mckay

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:36 am

The pi3 will fail some ISO EMI standards, but I can confirm it will pass FCC and CE rules.

The main failure point of the ARM6/7 boards is the writable SDCARD getting damaged in electrical brown outs, or a power supply cooking the board.

Most reliability issues can be mitigated with proper design strategy, but it takes some smart software to check itself for errors.
Long running systems have several IT issues when no one is around to do verified-safe maintenance. ;-)

mosespi

Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:13 pm

Drying out of electrolytic capacitors gives you a defined lifetime for most modern electronics. I don't believe any of the RPI models have any (although your power supply may), so we go on to the lifetimes of all the other components, it's mostly passives and semiconductors. Modern passive parts and semis are very reliable if not over-stressed. Without getting into individual part MTBFs.. I wouldn't be surprised if a modern Pi, kept at a 'normal' temperature (60-70c?) and without moisture issues to last 10-20 years, maybe even longer.

I have one of the original RPI models running outside in a camera enclosure 24/7 since 2013, 6 years and still going. SD card (read only) is from 2014 and a USB memory stick which stores pictures has been replaced once.

Regards,
-Moses
Power problems? MoPower UPS for the Pi
http://www.allspectrum.com/mopower/

W. H. Heydt

Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:59 pm

mosespi wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:13 pm
Drying out of electrolytic capacitors gives you a defined lifetime for most modern electronics. I don't believe any of the RPI models have any (although your power supply may), so we go on to the lifetimes of all the other components, it's mostly passives and semiconductors. Modern passive parts and semis are very reliable if not over-stressed. Without getting into individual part MTBFs.. I wouldn't be surprised if a modern Pi, kept at a 'normal' temperature (60-70c?) and without moisture issues to last 10-20 years, maybe even longer.

I have one of the original RPI models running outside in a camera enclosure 24/7 since 2013, 6 years and still going. SD card (read only) is from 2014 and a USB memory stick which stores pictures has been replaced once.
I think the cap that people accidentally knocked the original Model B is an electrolytic....but the Pi (apparently) runs okay without it. As I recall from the early days, the MTBF for the SoC in normal use is supposed to be 40 years. In any case, at age 69, I expect my Pis to outlive me....

Return to “General discussion”