Garry

Re: Ethernet speed ?

Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Tried to find some performance numbers on the FAQ, but apart from the info that the port is being driven through the 480mbit USB, there was no info ...

What throughput numbers can be achieved on the ethernet port? Can a sufficiently simple program (e.g. something like iperf) saturate the 100mbit port? Just wondering, as we're sometimes using a barebone PC at customer sites for testing purposes ... would be so much easier to hook up a RasPi instead ... anything beyond 50mbit/s would be fully sufficient for most test cases ...

mobeyduck

Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:24 pm

I believe that it is a 10/100 port. so 100mb max gb LAN obviously isn't possible over an usb controller.

abishur

Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:21 pm

I fear that ultimately, until we start to get these boards physically in our hands, questions like these lie squarely in the land of theories and conjectures

As far as my theory and conjecture goes, however, I've never really seen the the device that lives up to the maximum advertised throughput.  I expect to see speeds comparable to standard ethernet devices, though if you're also doing a lot of other access over USB bus (is saying USB *bus* redundant?), such as a lot of hard drive writes, I expect there might be a marginal impact to the ethernet speeds.  I'll know more once I start testing with it (which will hopefully be a month from now, now that they're at the manufacturer's!), but it's my hope that the chip they're using has some basic flow control to ensure that the usb ports don't hog all the bandwidth from the ethernet port
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

mp09aap

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:37 pm

i would gess that the total bandwith for both usb ports and the ethanet port would be 480 Mbit/sec or 60Mbites/second. the ethanet its self has a maxium of 100 Mbit/sec or 12.5 Mbites/sec and if you had a usb hdd  or a very good SD card you could get to with in 20% of this

Return to “General discussion”