W. H. Heydt

Re: Raspberry Pi is a waste of time (and money).

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:17 pm

Heater wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:39 pm
What is all this non-sense about toxicity around here?

I'm checking this forum multiple times per day and I very rarely see any bad behavior.
I've seen occasional posts--though not in this thread--that were somewhat over the line. And, indeed, I occasionally report posts for it. On the whole, the moderators do a really superb job of keep things cleaned up.

W. H. Heydt

Re: A missing link?

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:22 pm

epoch1970 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:56 am
My suggestions to improve onboarding:
- Cram raspberrypi.org/downloads with "What to do next" links.
- Add the same messages/links within the Lite and Desktop images. Just make that a removable or opt-in package so greybeards and lawyers be pleased.
The Full/Desktop version...perhaps. Lite? No. Anyone needing that level of hand holding isn't going to be using the Lite version because they're not going to be ready to use a CLI-only OS.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:39 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:17 pm
Heater wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:39 pm
What is all this non-sense about toxicity around here?

I'm checking this forum multiple times per day and I very rarely see any bad behavior.
I've seen occasional posts--though not in this thread--that were somewhat over the line. And, indeed, I occasionally report posts for it. On the whole, the moderators do a really superb job of keep things cleaned up.
We do try hard to keep it polite. But we have to extensively rely on reports, since we cannot read every post (not like the old days!), so as I've said before, if you think a post crosses a line, let us know with the report button.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

k-pi

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:25 pm

No, definately not, but some effort is required, it doesn't just work out of the box for the kinds of things the OP wants.
It is, after all, an educational product - that's what it is - & it works very well for that purpose. ;)

I'm one of the people who use it as a tiny desktop computer to access the internet, or to play music - it would be nice if it worked better at playing videos, but that isn't it's primary purpose, so I won't complain. 8-)

Waste of money - no way - how much do you spend on a round of drinks, or a concert, etc, & they only last for a couple of hours - (if you're a slow drinker & not a publicans friend ;) ) - the RPi is there for a heck of a lot longer - well worth it's cost. :)

ChicagoBob123

Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:05 pm

Linux and the Pi Community are not perfect but they are very good people and are usually attentive and able to help.
I have to say many blog projects are not up to date as I found when I started using my first pi and tried to configure a samba server.
(that was not fun) but I was able to get through it. I have 5 pi's in total.
2 in constant use, one for a future project, one I destroyed modifying for an old project and one collecting dust.
I love the things. The software and configurations can leave me talking to myself at times but the I can't fault the hardware for that.
Since the install base is so large many people make hardware just for the Pi to use. WHICH IS GREAT!!
One of the current Pi's I am using with the Movidius Deep Learning stick for facial recognition which is awesome. Was it hard to put together? Yeah its not easy and takes some time and patience and is not download and go but it works. My first project was a Pi NAS drive I still use and has been on and in use for about 4 years? (never shut off) It supports a 3TB USB hard drive and serves my movies and music to Kodi I have running on a FireTV stick. Those amazon sticks are pretty great since they support dual band WiFi for cheap.
Another one of these Pi's I want to put into my car and read the Canbus data but that's for another day.
So with a little help with hardware and a lot of work and frustration with software this Pi thing may not always be the answer but it does open the doors to SO MANY ideas. It truly sparked a maker revolution the likes of which I have never seen and which keeps growing so my hats off to the Pi foundation and all they do. From robots to media it blew open the doors to makers.
Its far from a waste as there are so many things to learn along the way to making a project work. And learning new things is part of lifes about for me anyway. Have a great day and fun with your kids.

n67

Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:21 pm

The thing is this: Most of these "The pi sux and you're all a bunch of oogie-woogies" type posts are of the "I was looking for a [gaming/media center/Netflix/etc] appliance" variety.

You don't see many (i.e., any) posts of the form "I was looking for a cheap effective Linux box" or "I wanted a small box to learn about Linux and/or Python and/or home automation and/or etc" type posts that fall into this ("The pi sux and you're all a bunch of oogie-woogies") category.

So, it seems we have a PR problem. There seems to be a subset of people out there who hear about the Pi and expect it to be a (cheap) ready-to-go product (i.e., appliance).

Which it isn't.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

bensimmo

Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:31 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:58 am
Next project: Pi powered vacuum cleaner, with WiFi and Bluetooth interface.....

gonna start rummaging the local junk shop for some old Rumba chassis/case.... :D
Ours is littered with Dysons.

ejolson

Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:37 pm

n67 wrote:
The thing is this: Most of these "The pi sux and you're all a bunch of oogie-woogies" type posts are of the "I was looking for a [gaming/media center/Netflix/etc] appliance" variety.
What's an oogie-woogie?

I don't see the person who made the original post as someone who only wanted a cheaper game console. While the first post was a bit of a rant, there was a follow up post in which the facts became clear: this is a father trying to get his daughter interested in Pi by building something himself first.

One interesting reply indicated that parents don't have to lead the way but only need enable the child to do things on their own. This also seems to be the approach my father took. He provided access to computers and books sufficient for me to make progress but did almost no programming himself.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:41 pm

ejolson wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:37 pm
n67 wrote:
What's an oogie-woogie?

I don't see the person who made the original post as someone who only wanted a cheaper game console. While the first post was a bit of a rant, there was a follow up post in which the facts became clear: this is a father trying to get his daughter interested in Pi by building something himself first.

One interesting reply indicated that parents don't have to lead the way but only need enable the child to do things on their own. This also seems to be the approach my father took. He provided access to computers and books sufficient for me to make progress but did almost no programming himself.

The OP wrote

"I have looked in so many forums and sites that Im all tired to try and impress my daughter
with these "amazing gadgets". I just cant write a question every 5 mins I run into a problem."

It seems he has not IMPRESSED his Daughter and now he feels a failure so has to blame everyone else for his failures, hence the off the wall rant.

It would probably be easier if he gave his Daughter the RPis, and left her alone.....

:D
Retired disgracefully.....

Burngate

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:52 pm

I wonder how old his daughter is.

If she's under about 13, she's looking to her father for guidance, and would like to impress him, but her friends aren't into computing and would give her strange looks if she started going on about it. She really needs her guide group to look into it.

13 to 18, she really doesn't want her dad to do anything for her - he's so old

After that, well, my daughter puts up with me. she'll listen patiently, then go back to what she was doing.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:23 pm

Burngate wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:52 pm
After that, well, my daughter puts up with me. she'll listen patiently, then go back to what she was doing.
Yeah...that's my daughter as well. Of course, she is 42...

Imperf3kt

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:14 pm

topguy wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:37 am
TBH, if people are unable to find the Pi website and the huge number of tutorials on there, or unable to find the forums to ask for help, I am not sure what else can be done.
I recognize that there is a lot of people in OP situation, those who want to do more advanced stuff but don't have the experience themselves to see if a guide is gold or dung. Then you risk wading trough a lot of bad/incomplete/obsolete guides..

Knowing the keywords that gives the most relevant results on google, and then filter away those not suited or obsolete is how I answer most of the questions I chose to answer on this forum.

So we need a meta-guide/blog/stackexchange-answer rating/ranking system. If we collect 25 guides for running Kodi on a Pi (or any other relevant subject ) and then find a system for giving them +1 or -1. Someone surely must have made this already..
Is this even necessary?
Here's the guide I followed to get Kodi running on my Pi perfectly:

sudo apt install kodi

Thats it, works like a charm, even had a shortcut in the menu.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

PhatFil

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:03 pm

I dont know if my own Pi experience is at all representative but I do understand the sentiment behind the thread subject even if i dont wholeheartedly agree.

Having bought a model B installed its os and had a little play recalling all the cli commands i could my pi sat on a shelf gathering dust.

Then after a few years of casual interest a couple of projects on utube/in here/ and made popular on other forums and lists i subscribe to actually sparking my interest, I found a real world use for my pi (well its predecessor as things had moved on some..)

Then when using my Pi i started having reliability issues, probably because in the meanwhile anything that caught my eye pi related would get me installing new s/w to try out.. However since deciding just what s/w i need, and installing only that onto a fresh upto date downlaod my lil server system has been nice n stable..

DarkPlatinum

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:19 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
topguy wrote:
TBH, if people are unable to find the Pi website and the huge number of tutorials on there, or unable to find the forums to ask for help, I am not sure what else can be done.
I recognize that there is a lot of people in OP situation, those who want to do more advanced stuff but don't have the experience themselves to see if a guide is gold or dung. Then you risk wading trough a lot of bad/incomplete/obsolete guides..

Knowing the keywords that gives the most relevant results on google, and then filter away those not suited or obsolete is how I answer most of the questions I chose to answer on this forum.

So we need a meta-guide/blog/stackexchange-answer rating/ranking system. If we collect 25 guides for running Kodi on a Pi (or any other relevant subject ) and then find a system for giving them +1 or -1. Someone surely must have made this already..
Is this even necessary?

sudo apt install kodi

:lol: :lol:
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

topguy

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:52 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
topguy wrote:
Is this even necessary?

sudo apt install kodi

"Kodi" was just an example, but lets run with that.
I know there are many that would say that installing a libreelec or OSMC image is a better solution than yours. Also it might not be the most up to date version of Kodi that are in the Raspbian repo.

And for someone who doesn't know about your simple solution, they will just google "installing kodi on raspberry pi", and how can you ( and we ) guarantee that the top result of that search is your solution ? Wouldnt you have like to have a chance to promote a guide with what you consider the correct/best solution ?

I see that google puts guides from this website if you search "installing kodi on raspberry pi" at the top right now so that is great.
But there are a lot of other subjects I feel like is getting asked every week. Mostly about integration with other hardware ( USB Webcams, GPS, 3g modems/SIM900, barcodescanners etc. ). Having a list of "vetted" guides on these subjects would be great.

oldjake

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:33 pm

I go through phases where I totally agree with the OP. Phases that last 5 or 10 minutes when I can't get one of my Pis to do exactly what I want without me having to learn something new. Then I remember that the best thing about Pis is that you can't get them to do exactly what you want without learning something new.

I bought my first about 3 years ago. I'm not actually sure where it is right now as I got disillusioned and put it in a box somewhere.

Earlier this year I got bitten again with the prospect of a smart mirror, and a RetroPie for the den I've just built in the garage. That is protected by a Pi 3b with a camera module running RPi Web Interface. It uploads to Google Drive using Rclone. It also uses the camera as a motion sensor to switch 2 Sonoff relays on to control the lights.

The Pi 3b+ in the TV cabinet runs a home automation dashboard I built using Python (that I knew nothing about 3 months ago). The dashboard also sniffs BLE to detect whether the house is occupied, uses the Hive Home API to get info from all my Hive Devices and will turn the heating down when the house is empty - something Hive can't do at the moment.

Then there's the Pi Zero camera outside the front door that does the same as the one in the garage.

Oh, and my personal pet project... Got a 1940 Kodak Brownie 620 from eBay for £6.99. I've just upcycled that into a 5mp digital camera which still looks pretty much like the original.

So, here I am. 51 in just over a month. I've learned Python, a bit of electronics, a LOT of system administration stuff, a lot of home automation and saved a load of money. I could have installed Arlo cameras for £140 a pop but just less than £40 gives you a box that has much more functionality. And I reckon I can build a Pi Zero security camera in 30 minutes.

All my Pis have an actual, real life use. They're not concepts. They're not like a robot where you marvel that it can walk across the table and then you're bored. Mine are making a positive difference to my life every day.

Yeah, there's a learning curve. But if you don't want to go through that curve for a games machine go and spend £300 on a console and then £40 a game.

hippy

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:44 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
sudo apt install kodi

I must agree that was entirely painless for me, did work like a charm, and I'm impressed. I even managed to get it to play my MP3's through my TV without ever having used it before, without consulting any manual or the web.

It is a PITA moving the mouse over "Options", having those slide out, then disappear when the mouse is moved towards them. I guess there's some trick to that and I don't know it so perhaps fair enough.

The thing is though, we don't tally-up what works as we expect it to work, we note what doesn't. We don't know what frustrations the OP actually encountered, what pushed him over the edge. Just because something works for some, maybe most, it doesn't mean others won't run into problems.

If someone asked me my opinion of "pip"; it would be a straight-up "pile of $#!%", "&%^[email protected]#* nightmare", "avoid it like the plague". That has caused me so much grief and frustration. If it were the same with other things I wanted to do, needed to use, or tried to do, I could very easily come to the same conclusion as the OP; "I just don't have time for this @#$%".

I could easily translate the OP's frustrations and sentiment to my own feelings towards Ultibo. But I wouldn't call it fair to do so. I recognise that it's a disconnect between what Ultibo currently is and what I would like it to be. My over-expectations cannot be blamed on Ultibo. If I didn't accept they were over-expectations I would probably see it more negatively.

I don't really care much when something turns out to have been a waste of time and effort, when something doesn't work as expected or doesn't even work at all, when it's not actually important, when I was just seeing if it would. I often learn something, often a lot, along the way, but the "didn't work" list keeps growing.

As it is I have a fair few issues, problems and frustrations with my 'always available' Pi 3B; one day I could no longer connect to it as a network drive from windows because something about Samba changed and, having fixed that, I can no longer connect without having to provide a password which I never had to provide before, and I haven't succeeded in changing that. WiFi no longer works because of issues with dhcpcd, how my network is setup, and how I busked round that. My USB keyboard, mouse and hub sometimes stops working, needs to be unplugged to make them work again. Having run Kodi I noticed my system time was still on GMT not BST despite having set it up as had been recommended. Sometimes a reboot doesn't without power-cycling. Sometimes it won't power-up and boot except on a second re-powering.

C'est la vie. I'm still here because I can live with all that. It doesn't mean everyone will or could. It's very easy to believe "it works for me" and believe it will therefore work just as well for others but that's not always the case.

jamesh

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:48 pm

topguy wrote:
Imperf3kt wrote:
topguy wrote:
Is this even necessary?

sudo apt install kodi

I know there are many that would say that installing a libreelec or OSMC image is a better solution than yours. Also it might not be the most up to date version of Kodi that are in the Raspbian repo.

And for someone who doesn't know about your simple solution, they will just google "installing kodi on raspberry pi", and how can you ( and we ) guarantee that the top result of that search is your solution ? Wouldnt you have like to have a chance to promote a guide with what you consider the correct/best solution ?

I see that google puts guides from this website if you search "installing kodi on raspberry pi" at the top right now so that is great.
But there are a lot of other subjects I feel like is getting asked every week. Mostly about integration with other hardware ( USB Webcams, GPS, 3g modems/SIM900, barcodescanners etc. ). Having a list of "vetted" guides on these subjects would be great.
Who would do the vetting? Who would publish the results? We have so much work here we wouldn't be able to do it, especially since it can take days to confirm a guide is correct or not, and would also involve buying all the required equipment.

It's why we have our own documentation, which works for all the products we sell. In general we cannot write documentation for other peoples products, except in a very generic way which would not be of much use I suspect. We have to reply on others to document their own product.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

LTolledo

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:58 pm

Maybe its just me..... but me thinks recent discussions are veering off the original subject.... :roll:
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

W. H. Heydt

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:55 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:58 pm
Maybe its just me..... but me thinks recent discussions are veering off the original subject.... :roll:
Maybe...but we're getting personal stories that show how people approach the Pi that counter the OPs issues. Perhaps, like the "Introduce Yourself" ther needs to be a sticky thread om "How I Got Started with the Raspberry Pi (and learned to love it)". And, as any veteran of usenet knows...thread topics drift.

But to continue the current conversation...

When I first read about the Pi (not long before the original launch), I immediately thought of a use for several of them. The only question was...Could the Pi do it? I've been running Convention Registration for a gaming convention for 30-some years now. What I wanted to do with Pis was to create inexpensive "data entry terminals" for volunteers to enter con memberships at the door. What this took--remember, essentially random, untrained volunteers--was the GUI desktop and a PuTTY session with the real work being done on the back end. After testing a Model B (256MB RAM!), I found that it worked just fine, so I bought several more. I was going to upgrade to B+ Pis to get the better USB handling, but the Pi2B came out before I did that, so I went with the Pi2B.

Other projects have been much more ad hoc. Where I live, I don't get a reliable signal from the only Classical music station in the region. So I set up a Pi (starting with a Model B and later upgraded to a Pi2B) to stream the station over the 'net. Since then, I have added a 7" screen to display the time and the stream metadata. To divert/amuse my grandson, I set up a Pi2B (now upgraded to a Pi3B) to do with as he wished. He does a lot of MinecraftPi and I worked through a book on Scratch with him, which he also enjoys doing things with. (In fact, while I'm typing this, that's waht he's doing before it's time to outside to meet the school bus.) I've also set up a Pi0W with a 3.5" display as a generic "name badge". There are other little projects. Some have stretched and expanded my knowledge. Others just used my background from 40 years working as a programmer.

topguy

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:44 pm

Who would do the vetting? Who would publish the results? We have so much work here we wouldn't be able to do it, especially since it can take days to confirm a guide is correct or not, and would also involve buying all the required equipment.
No, I don't really think it would be in the scope of the foundation to make/host/help with such a thing, this is wishful thinking, a pipedream if you like.
But in my head it would the people on this forum that would/could constantly rate the links based on their experiences with them. If people would like to submit their own guides that would be great, but they must be prepared to be judged by their peers. Comments on inaccuracies in the guide could then be sent to the author so he/she would have a change to correct them. Failure to do so will then result in negative votes and that guide will not be ranked high,
( I feel like I've just described Reddit or something similar. )
The hard part would be to create a good classification system that allowed us to quickly find the correct guide for the correct problem.

hippy

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:32 pm

topguy wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:44 pm
No, I don't really think it would be in the scope of the foundation to make/host/help with such a thing, this is wishful thinking, a pipedream if you like.
Though it might be in scope to add a "Guide" / "How To" forum here where members could post those. That automatically provides for feedback, commentary, additions, corrections and notes to be added even if the author isn't keeping the original up to date. It also means we do have moderation available should it be needed.

We can already do that, and some people have, but such guides tend to get lost in the rest of the postings. It might require sub-forums to give it a decent structure and allow things to be more easily found but shouldn't be too onerous.

I wouldn't expect the mods or RPF to administer the guides or check their accuracy but it would allow something wildly inaccurate or outdated to be reported and mods could note that in the OP or title, lock the thread if appropriate.

As they would just be normal posts in all respects other than content and purpose I wouldn't expect there to be much additional workload other than in creating the infrastructure to host them

Heater

Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:19 pm

topguy,
( I feel like I've just described Reddit or something similar. )
Indeed you have. And see what a swamp of misinformation that can be.

Or look at stackoverflow/stackexchange.

I believe the first such user up vote/down vote site was slashdot.org. Which has been a swamp for a decade or more.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

n67

Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:33 pm

I believe the first such user up vote/down vote site was slashdot.org. Which has been a swamp for a decade or more.
The fundamental problem is that we've yet to figure out a better way to determine quality than popularity.

We all know how flawed that is as a method, but, like so many other things, it is the best we've got. We end up thinking it is good, just because every other method is worse.

Like a lot of things...
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

Imperf3kt

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:04 pm

topguy wrote:
Imperf3kt wrote:
topguy wrote:
Is this even necessary?

sudo apt install kodi

Its general install knowledge - something you will need to learn eventually if you're going to use Linux (I still haven't learnt how to uninstall though)
Google all you want, the lesson learnt is the first thing you should learn about, for running software on a Pi, is the package manager.

I hate Linux, by the way. Absolutely despise it. I am far more familiar with Windows and had to learn this stuff myself as well.
Yes, it took a few weeks to get used to, yes, I still loathe Linux based OS's, but I learnt what I had to and now installing software is rather easy (figuratively speaking - I learnt this years ago)

Configuring or running that software, now thats a different topic.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Return to “General discussion”