Unhappy

Raspberry Pi is a waste of time (and money).

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:56 pm

Lets see

Got 2 Raspberry Pi 3 about 18 months ago. My first thoughts were "how cool, a mini computer!"

Well raspi is NOTHING like a PC. After 18 months only one of them is barely in use.

You spend hours upon hours googling around why things doesnt work, boot, start et.c.
Then you spend even more hours figuring out errors and when it starts working its
always a disappointment.
Retropie is one (perhaps only) thing that raspi does half decent, although it takes hours to
get it to work.
Then you try different takes on Kodi which is garbage and mostly illeagal.

After my 4th attempt getting a "cool gaming machine" Im close. Had to buy the NESPI Case
just to get elementary things like shutting off to work.

After a week of trying to get my second raspi to work as a music player with touch screen
Im simply giving up. Im tired of googling, tired of guessing what people mean, tired of errors,
tired of things not working 100%.

Whatever you guys think Raspberry can do a PC or an android phone can do multitudes better.

These "mini computers" will eventually fade away because they wont ever be of practical use
to most people.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi is a waste of time (and money).

Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:16 pm

I did wonder about letting this post through, rants like this rarely end well. But hey, it's September!

So, first things first, we have now sold about 20M Raspberry Pi's. That's 20MILLION that according to the OP are of no use to anyone. Well, call me old fashioned, but I reckon selling 20M of something actually means quite a lot of people must be finding them quite useful.

Now, I'm not sure if the OP though he would be able to replace a desktop (cost $400+) with a Raspberry Pi ($35) and still get the same level of functionality. I think the price points may be a good hint as to why that might not be a valid assumption.

As for Kodi - it works great, hundreds of thousands of people use the Pi with Kodi every day. Not sure what the problem there is.

Android device - great for stuff, PC great for different stuff, Pi great for different stuff. Use the right device for the task in hand. Case in point, my children use phones/tablets to stream video. From a Raspberry Pi server. In a motorhome. You cannot do that with a PC.

Might be worth stating the original aims fo the pi now - "Education". You don't get everything for free with Raspberry Pi, some effort is requried, educate yourself.

ps. I suspect that the final statment, that they will go out of fashion, might be a little wide of the mark. Come back in two years time and if I'm wrong, I'll eat my hat (which is made of chocolate)

pps. The use of the word mini-computer is actually wrong in the OP, they are actually SBC's. Minicomputers are something completely different.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:33 pm

As is, the rant is completly useless, but with a little more information, it could be useful feedback. What didn't work like you expected to? What were you trying to do which required a lot of research?

The only way I can make sense of the post is if OP was expecting linux to work exactly like windows and it's not actually about the pi.

topguy

Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:38 pm

Not sure what kind of response the OP expects/wants to a post like this. If his goal was to vent some frustrations I think he succeeded.
He haven't requested any tips or help so I dont feel obligated to provide it either.
Then you try different takes on Kodi which is garbage and mostly illeagal.
There is nothing illegal about Kodi in itself. its a media player just like VLC and Window Medial player.
But if you follow guides and install unofficial plugins to let you watch copyrighted material, then its quite likely you end up with a unstable system.
Whatever you guys think Raspberry can do a PC or an android phone can do multitudes better.
Actually we already know that, we also know that those devices costs a multitude or two more too..

LTolledo

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:03 pm

Its a first post of the OP and rants away....

well the OP seems to have no history of seeking updated help in this forum, but relied mostly on probably outdated tutorials from youtube or other internet sites.

these "mini-computers" as you call these (SBCs as the correct term pointed out by jamesh) will only "fade away" if there is no active support from the developers and online community. At present I dont think its even ebbing.

I've owned some "very promising" SBCs claiming great things the board can do, but due to lack of developer support and ever dwindling online community, thus those "very promising SBCs" are fading away to obscurity.

I've used the RPi as a practical desktop replacement for my $2000 win10 laptop (whose only good use at the moment is just for online gaming). Usage percentage is RPi: about 75%, win10pc: 15%, remaining 10 percent shared by other SBCs. And I get to save on electricity bills. (unless saving electricity bills is not a practical endeavour for the OP).

Yes am spending time and money with the RPi, but not to waste it. Time and money spend for fun hours of learning/discovering new things, and getting creative.

There are frustrations/roadblocks along the way, but would not probably overcome those without the help/wisdom of the veterans (heck, even from noobs) in this forum.

The key is getting the "right support from the right source at the right time".
also "garbage in, garbage out"

If the OP do not respond then I think the OP's main objective is just trolling in this forum!
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

epoch1970

Congratulations on 20M units!

Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:22 pm

jamesh wrote:
... we have now sold about 20M Raspberry Pi's.
20M Pis in the wild! Amazing. Congratulations!
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

DarkPlatinum

Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:35 pm

Waste of time and money? No way.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

jamesh

Re: Congratulations on 20M units!

Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:41 pm

epoch1970 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:22 pm
jamesh wrote:
... we have now sold about 20M Raspberry Pi's.
20M Pis in the wild! Amazing. Congratulations!
It's around that, not sure of exact figure. Probably not quite 20M or we would probably have announced it, but it must be very close by now.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

W. H. Heydt

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:01 pm

I'm mildly surprised the number hasn't topped 20 million yet.

Pi's not useful? Tell that to my "alarm clock" (Pi2Bv1.1 + 7" display), convention data entry "workstations" (Pi2Bv1.1, + the usual monitor, keyboard, mouse * 6), the main machine for my 10-year-old grandson (Pi3B), universal name badge (Pi0W + 3.5" display) just to name a few of my Pis in routine use.

As for the cost differential...I don't try to use a $35 Pi as a replacement for a $1500 gaming rug. I know better than to try that.

ejolson

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:08 pm

Unhappy wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:56 pm
Lets see
As has been pointed out, the Pi is a real computer for children to own and use designed for learning how to program while controlling lights and motors. It is a testament to its versatility that hobbyists have also used Raspberry Pi computers for making media players and gaming machines. Try programming in Python on your mobile phone, Roku media player or PS4 and you will immediately appreciate how much better the Pi is at such things.

It would be nice if all the old tutorials worked on current Pi computers without modification. While following something that doesn't quite work is frustrating, it also opens the door to learn debugging and obtain a much deeper understanding of how it was supposed to work, what has changed and why. There are various quotes about the journey versus the destination which might apply here. In particular, if you are not interested in learning how things work, then even the simplest projects with a Raspberry Pi will seem tedious. There are many people (not just children and maybe even you) who are curious enough about how computers work to make things with the Raspberry Pi.
Last edited by ejolson on Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MarkTF

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:09 pm

Premise 1: The stated mission of Raspberry Pi is education.

Premise 2: No one ever learned anything meaningful by blindly following a recipe and having it 100% work.

Mission accomplished.

Heater

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:18 pm

Poor Unhappy seems to have rushed into buying a Pi without knowing what it is or what purposes it may serve and whether it will suit his purposes. A recipe for, well, unhappiness.
"how cool, a mini computer!"
A Pi is indeed cool and very small. However the term "mini computer" has a very specific meaning in the computer world. The Pi is not a mini computer.
Well raspi is NOTHING like a PC
No it's not. Thank God.
You spend hours upon hours googling around why things doesnt work, boot, start et.c.
Then you spend even more hours figuring out errors and when it starts working its
always a disappointment.
I suspect Unhappy would be a lot less unhappy if he had registered here 18 months ago, instead of only yesterday, and asked about resolving issues as they came up.
Nonsense. I can't even find the GPIO pins or UART on my android phones :)
These "mini computers" will eventually fade away because they wont ever be of practical use
to most people.
Partially correct. Most people will not find a use for a Pi or even be interested. However Pi are doing practical work all over the place, even in commercial/industrial settings.

Meh, why am I bothering. Quite likely we have been trolled.

Burngate

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:58 pm

From a sample of one (me) I think I can safely say it's not been a waste of either time or money.
For the past 7 years (all but 26 days) it's kept me off the streets and kept my brain active. It's even produced some useable gizmos that are doing stuff round the house.
And hopefully some of my posts have been of useful to some other people, if only by keeping them off the streets and getting their brains to work ...

Izaac

Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:05 pm

What did you expect? It's not supposed to be a high quality gaming PC, it's supposed to be a creative project for coders or engineers. You should research things you buy before you buy them.
Last edited by Izaac on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:06 pm

It's probably worth adding that it can easily get you a job one day if you take it seriously. All this learning isn't for nothing.

ejolson

Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:12 pm

Heater wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:18 pm
I suspect Unhappy would be a lot less unhappy if he had registered here 18 months ago, instead of only yesterday, and asked about resolving issues as they came up.
Maybe the username Happy was already taken, thus the 18 month wait.

Whether the person who made the original post follows up or not, reflecting upon how one spends time and whether it was spent well is important. I think that's why this thread has attracted so many comments.

In my life journey, I have spent many hours learning technical details of computer systems which are no longer in common use. While that time may appear wasted, the knowledge obtained has given me intuition and perspective about current systems. At the same time, software like systemd illustrates that it's not necessary to have such perspective to change the world.

Returning to the subject of the original post, after learning how to install and configure RetroPi and Kodi, it might be a bigger waste of time to actually play the games and watch the movies.
Last edited by ejolson on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DougieLawson

Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:13 pm

Burngate wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:58 pm
From a sample of one (me) I think I can safely say it's not been a waste of either time or money.
For the past 7 years (all but 26 days) it's kept me off the streets and kept my brain active. It's even produced some useable gizmos that are doing stuff round the house.
And hopefully some of my posts have been of useful to some other people, if only by keeping them off the streets and getting their brains to work ...
Ditto. Only six years (all but 30 days) since I got my first RPi. It's been the best thing in computing since 1979 when we built a ZX80 from a kit of parts. It has more MIPS than the first mainframes I worked on at NatWest Bank in 1981. I've been learning how to use computers since 1979 and doing it for a day job since December 1981 (after a stint being a 3890 Reader/Sorter operator from July 1981 to December 1981).

I've saved hundreds of £££s (real ones that would have gone to British Gas for fuel) with a Raspberry with a BMP180 sensor in my sitting room and some sensible adjustments to the C/H timeswitch. That saving (along with some Raspberries that have been given for free) means ALL fifteen of my Raspberries have been completely free of charge.

It's a fun game when it costs you nothing for the basic kit.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Heater

Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:24 pm

I was thinking about this threads title "Raspberry Pi is a waste of time (and money)"

Well, if ones aim in life is nothing but watching TV, listening to music or playing games then perhaps there are better ways to do those things. Some would say those things are a waste of time!

If one have other interests, like learning to program, Linux in general, getting into electronics, robotics, networking, cluster configurations, etc, etc, etc then one is going to invest a lot of time in that no matter what platform one chooses. The Pi is of course an excellent, small, cheap, versatile, platform to do all of that with an unprecedented level of support thanks to the Pi Foundation and the huge user base, many of whom like to help others out.

As for waste of money, the Pi is a whole lot cheaper than many other things people "waste" their money on. If the cost of a Pi is significant then perhaps it has taught a valuable , do your home work before spending the money.

rpdom

Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:30 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:06 pm
It's probably worth adding that it can easily get you a job one day if you take it seriously. All this learning isn't for nothing.
It didn't get me a job, but it certainly helped.

As for a "Waste of time and money", it has saved me a lot of money by using a Pi instead of a power hungry PC to perform many small tasks around the home.

Heater

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:08 pm

ejolson,
...reflecting upon how one spends time and whether it was spent well is important. I think that's why this thread has attracted so many comments.
Quite so.

Also the statement "Raspberry Pi is a waste of time (and money)" has the implication that those who buy Raspi's and spend a long time tinkering with them are wasting their time and their money. That they are some how too dumb to realize that there are better things to do with their time and money.

This can be construed as somewhat insulting.

Try explaining to a bunch of football fans wacthing a match down the pub that what they are doing is a waste of time and money. See how far you get with that...

W. H. Heydt

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:23 pm

Heater wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:08 pm
Also the statement "Raspberry Pi is a waste of time (and money)" has the implication that those who buy Raspi's and spend a long time tinkering with them are wasting their time and their money. That they are some how too dumb to realize that there are better things to do with their time and money.
Milton Friedman (Nobel Laureate in Economics) used to criticize his son David's recreational activities in the Society for Creative Anachronism because it couldn't be used as a fallback means to make a living. I suspect that the real root of the objection is the difference between the generation that grew up during the Depression and the next generation that didn't. In any case, doing things with the Pi escapes that particular argument as learning about the Pi *could* be turned into gainful employment. Not necessarily using Pis themselves, but the knowledge gained from using them. Therefore, by Milton Friedman's definition, using a Pi is *not* a waste of time.

(I never met Milton, but I've been acquainted with David for over 30 years.)

Unhappy

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:34 pm

Hi

Yes it was a rant and to be honest I didnt think it would make it.

20 million sold, not bad.

If I google Raspberry projects ( you all might have tried it) what do I actually get?
Exactly, not much. A handful of pages with the same stuff. Kodi, Retropie and some
sort of media-hub.
Dont get me wrong now. I got both my rasps for 33€ (together) and I was excited
because I also thought this would be the do-it-all marvelous mini gadget.
Unfortunately those dreams came to a crushing halt when actually trying to do something.

There are no good tutorials, videos, pdfs, sites, pages on how to make any project work.
You basically have to be a Linux wizard to correct anything that doesnt go as "described".

Yes, feel free to call me stupid but Im a family man without time and interest to sit for hours
learning new stuff.

Bare with me,
Retropi, 4 attempts: Roms, what the hell, illegal. Not easy to find, not easy to make it work.
Had to skip alot because I could never figure out how to get screencaps or coverart.

KODI, 2 attempts. Nothing that Youtube or Netflix cant do better. Streaming new stuff and
automatically fetch subtitles that was neat but illegal.

WebRadio, 2 attempts. Got radio to work on computer screen but never on touch screen.
No sound via bluetooth only audio-plug. Second attempt Volumio, asking for password
never could connect via browser.

I have looked in so many forums and sites that Im all tired to try and impress my daughter
with these "amazing gadgets". I just cant write a question every 5 mins I run into a problem.

In forums people take stuff for granted that I (normal person?) has no clue about. Cant even
get Putty to work on WiFi. Every bloody time I get a "cannot do" this or that with non existing
files that is supposed to be there.

To be honest most of those 20 million units are probably collecting dust.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:03 pm

Unhappy wrote:
Hi

Yes it was a rant and to be honest I didnt think it would make it.

20 million sold, not bad.

If I google Raspberry projects ( you all might have tried it) what do I actually get?
Exactly, not much. A handful of pages with the same stuff. Kodi, Retropie and some
sort of media-hub.
Dont get me wrong now. I got both my rasps for 33€ (together) and I was excited
because I also thought this would be the do-it-all marvelous mini gadget.
Unfortunately those dreams came to a crushing halt when actually trying to do something.

There are no good tutorials, videos, pdfs, sites, pages on how to make any project work.
You basically have to be a Linux wizard to correct anything that doesnt go as "described".

Yes, feel free to call me stupid but Im a family man without time and interest to sit for hours
learning new stuff.

Bare with me,
Retropi, 4 attempts: Roms, what the hell, illegal. Not easy to find, not easy to make it work.
Had to skip alot because I could never figure out how to get screencaps or coverart.

KODI, 2 attempts. Nothing that Youtube or Netflix cant do better. Streaming new stuff and
automatically fetch subtitles that was neat but illegal.

WebRadio, 2 attempts. Got radio to work on computer screen but never on touch screen.
No sound via bluetooth only audio-plug. Second attempt Volumio, asking for password
never could connect via browser.

I have looked in so many forums and sites that Im all tired to try and impress my daughter
with these "amazing gadgets". I just cant write a question every 5 mins I run into a problem.

In forums people take stuff for granted that I (normal person?) has no clue about. Cant even
get Putty to work on WiFi. Every bloody time I get a "cannot do" this or that with non existing
files that is supposed to be there.

To be honest most of those 20 million units are probably collecting dust.

Poppycock and Balderdash :roll:
Retired disgracefully.....

DarkPlatinum

Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:10 pm

If you actually took the time to look. You don't buy a gaming PC that cost $1500 to make a media server, you buy a Raspberry Pi to do that. Some tutorials might be outdated, it's all about looking when they were made and for which type of Raspbian they are for. Let me tel, you an example. When I was setting up my website, I was looking around for tutorials. Found one, tried it, one of the commands said "this file does not exist". You troubleshoot. For me, it was PHP 5 I coudnt get running on Raspbian Stretch as the tutorial was for Raspbian Jesse. Looked for more tutorials, found one, bingo, one for stretch.
The point I am trying to make is, using Raspberry Pi is mostly about the learning experience. Programmers take hours to perfect code. Many people don't take them for granted.

Projects that might interest youhttp://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/21862/ras ... yourself-1
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

ejolson

Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:34 pm

Unhappy wrote:
with these "amazing gadgets".
I think you are right that many Raspberry Pi computers are collecting dust. Hopefully some are doing this as robotic vacuum cleaners.

I built a Pi-controlled toy car that seemed well received by students during engineering days at the local school. I think it helped that they each got to program it, that it went fast and sometimes bumped into a wall.

Rather than attempting to build something yourself that impresses your daughter, my recommendation is have her build something that impresses you. One idea would be to buy or download the MagPi and read it together. Let her be the one that decides what to make and let her be the one who does the building. While you can help, especially with things that require soldering, machining or woodwork, the Pi was designed to be cheap enough for a child to own and powerful enough to do many different things.

Return to “General discussion”