mp09aap

Re: Extra RAM slot on the next model

Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:20 pm

I know the pi hasn’t quite come out yet however one of the things that limits the pi is the ram. i was thinking on the next version of the pi to may be come out in the summer it would be really worth while adding an optional ddr2 or ddr3 ram slot laptop size. it wouldn’t cost a huge amount more and it looks like there is room on the back where the SD card slot is.

here is an example I have having a quick browse online costing £2.10 ea and i’m sure you could get it much cheaper looking around more and buying in bigger bulk. i am thinking this would be the best way to add more ram as its an extra and allot of people already have a spare ddr2 ram lying around. ive got for example a spare 2GB stick from a laptop that died. This would add up to 2GB with little extra front line cost.

is there any possibility of this happening on the next model?

http://uk.farnell.com/te-conne.....dp/1095879

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:31 pm

Please use the search - this is something that's been discussed a great deal here already. Closing this thread to avoid duplication.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Burngate

Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:33 pm

No

Longer answer: the Pi has its memory on top of the main chip - package-on-package, or PoP - and the Arm data and address busses aren't accessible. So you / we / they can't just add memory.

The Pi is limited by the availabilty of PoP ram, and its price. 128M and 256M are currently available at a reasonable price. 512M costs an arm and a leg.

Some time in the future 128M will go out of production. 512M will become affordable. How soon, who knows. Just not yet.

Return to “General discussion”