Roken

Kernel updates

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:48 pm

I always thought that kernel updates were done with rpi-update. So, what exactly is raspberrypi-kernel via apt-get updating?
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Kernel updates

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:57 pm

Roken wrote:
I always thought that kernel updates were done with rpi-update. So, what exactly is raspberrypi-kernel via apt-get updating?

You are about 2 years out of date, you must stop reading ancient forum posts, blogs and tutorials !!

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... pdating.md
Adieu

DirkS

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:04 pm

Roken wrote:
To expand on @FotL's correct observations: raspberrypi-kernel and friends are the regular kernel + firmware.
rpi-update is used to get to cutting edge / testing kernels.

Roken

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:25 pm

Huh? Who knew. Thank you for the clarification.

(For info, I'm on 4.18.3 on my desktop, so assuming the bleeding edge means has the Pi modules, it still isn't bleeding edge even via rpi-update, but I'll stick to stock on my Pis)
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:30 pm

Roken wrote:
Rpi-update is used to get test and development versions for those willing to take the associated risks in order to make early use of new features. Hence the frequent threads saying "don't use rpi-update unless you're sure that's what you want to do." As for kernel updates through apt/apt-get...kernel code gets updated just like any other code and when it's fully vetted as being ready for use, it will be available through the normal upgrade process.

Personally, I'd just like a bit more obvious notification when a reboot is needed, rather than having to either guess or very carefully wade through long lists of package names to see if anything jumps out at one. Because of that, I generally reboot after an update/upgrade cycle just to be safe. It would also be nice to be told *which* config files had been changed so that I know quickly whether or not I need to put my own changes back in. I'll grant that there is one that is easy to spot...when the upgrade causes the wallpaper to revert to default (I'm really not sure why anyone bothers to change that as part of an upgrade, but it's a pretty frequent thing...it's also why there are some Pis I don't update very often because it's a real pain in the posterior to redo the desktop changes I make for special purposes).

fruitoftheloom

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:33 pm

Roken wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:25 pm
Huh? Who knew. Thank you for the clarification.

(For info, I'm on 4.18.3 on my desktop, so assuming the bleeding edge means has the Pi modules, it still isn't bleeding edge even via rpi-update, but I'll stick to stock on my Pis)

Debian Stretch just undertake:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo reboot

That will get you the latest stable......
Adieu

Roken

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:26 pm

Thank you, I'm good, Apparently out of date, but I'm good.

Of course, I'm a bit miffed that my 8 port PoE enabled switch is, it seems, not PoE enabled, so my test PoE hat that arrived today is currently fitted but useless. On the plus side, a client company (yeah, I'm an accountant) has one on Ebay that is PoE enabled, so half a chance I can get a deal.

Return to “General discussion”